PDA

View Full Version : One Terabye external hard-drives - recommendations?

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2008, 12:18 PM
So I'm thinking of getting an external 1TB hard-drive, inspired by Neil to have a sort of back-up-of-the-back-up all-or-nothing type dealy.

So can anyone recommend makes/models of such devices, as well as what price I should be looking at (I don't wanna get a cheapy and then "get what I paid for", if you know what I mean).

Cheers folks. :)

DjfunkmasterG
18-Aug-2008, 12:28 PM
I use 3 SEAGATE Barracuda 1TB Internal Drives and so far I have had zero problems with it. So I can recommend the seagate brand for you.

I also use a 500gb Internal as my boot drive, just one recommendation, don't use 32mb cache drives as a boot drive, but since this would be an external... go to town you won't be using it for a boot drive.

SymphonicX
18-Aug-2008, 12:52 PM
Avoid the Lacie brand, they are over priced and as soon as you place a bit of strain on it, it dies. It's just two 500gb drives in one casing, which makes it very heavy and clunky.

Can't recommend one though, although cheap brand like Maxtor seems to work for most of my external HD needs...

Danny
18-Aug-2008, 02:23 PM
i dunno eithe rway, when i told my i.t tech guy freinds my imac was coming with a terrabyte harddrive they said there THE most likely kind to randomly wipe themselves of all data, ive seen some good 500gig ones for £60 on some sites, id just play it safe adn get two of those for about the same price.

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2008, 06:00 PM
Really? How come a 1TB HDD would decide to wipe itself? Or is that Mac specific?

I've heard about Macs just deciding to wipe stuff in the past (although I've never heard it directly from someone I know).

I've currently got a Seagate 320gb for a bunch of my stuff, but I want a 1TB one methinks so I can back all that up, and further stuff as well.

SymphonicX
18-Aug-2008, 06:05 PM
Eggs in one basket springs to mind :)

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2008, 06:18 PM
Eggs in one basket springs to mind :)
Well not really as it'd only be there for a back-up-of-a-back-up, weren't you paying attention? :p

Maybe two 500 giggers.

What say you Neil, if you're reading, you've got a 1TB back-up-of-a-back-up aintcha?

acealive1
18-Aug-2008, 08:22 PM
western digital is damn near un crashable

Danny
18-Aug-2008, 10:48 PM
giggers.

really did a double take at that. i thought mz was suddenly alf garnet for a minute.

MinionZombie
19-Aug-2008, 09:41 AM
really did a double take at that. i thought mz was suddenly alf garnet for a minute.
lol ... cheeky mare ... actually I never even thought it resembled that word.

But indeed - GIGgers. Two 500 GIGgers.

SymphonicX
19-Aug-2008, 10:30 AM
Well not really as it'd only be there for a back-up-of-a-back-up, weren't you paying attention? :p

Maybe two 500 giggers.

What say you Neil, if you're reading, you've got a 1TB back-up-of-a-back-up aintcha?

ahh i'll let you off then :)