PDA

View Full Version : gymnastics rip off

acealive1
18-Aug-2008, 10:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news;_ylt=AvCKSik0Q5csnFj6KhCmdzoGqZp4?slug=ap-gym-eventfinals&prov=ap&type=lgns

ok so basically what they're saying is after all the votes were counted and scores tallied,that liukin from the USA and He from china were still tied.

you know what they did next?

went throught about three tiebreaker scenarios and guess what? still tied!!

so for the fourth one...... they counted all of their deductions.....liukin had more ( didnt see that coming cuz china doesn't cheat,right?)

and they also counted the fact another china competitor got the bronze medal. so what they're saying is that your routine and competition means nothing and they basically htrew the scores out of the window because someone marked scores wrong in favor of china.

i say for all english speaking contries from now on that hold the olympics, we basically screw china when it comes to all events. theres a welterweight boxer who dominated all rounds with a chinese boxer except the last one where he just danced around to avoid letting the guy get any points on him LOST THE MATCH. thats like knocking down mike tyson twice a round for 12 rounds and losing to him by decision.

this seem familiar to anyone? well it should. roy jones was denied a medal by south korean judges in the 80's who blantantly cheated for the south korean who even went over after the fight and raised jones' hand knowing he lost.

london 2012, lets give the chinese something to complain about.

and its called the "olympic games" right? then why are u judged and not given the medals based on doing better than your competition? one clear example is gymnastics where theres scores, as well as boxing.

ok, my rant is done. but we're getting screwed over there.

slickwilly13
18-Aug-2008, 10:41 PM
Damn straight we are. Olympic boxing is f#cking joke! To the point in which I am now highly considering not ever competing in the amatuers. Especially, if I have to go through this bullsh!t. If I lose fair and square, then I lose fair and square. I do not want to get screwed, because 3 ringside judges either did not push their buttons at the exact moment or decide to favor the other fighter just because they want to.

Bub666
18-Aug-2008, 11:15 PM
Thats bullsh!t.Those Olympic judges always cheat.

acealive1
19-Aug-2008, 02:02 AM
Thats bullsh!t.Those Olympic judges always cheat.

the koreas and china wanna kill each other,but they will join together to screw us. how can asians beat us in boxing,but theres no asian boxers we know of that are pro?

Bub666
19-Aug-2008, 02:56 AM
the koreas and china wanna kill each other,but they will join together to screw us. how can asians beat us in boxing,but theres no asian boxers we know of that are pro?

Asians are not really built for boxing.

slickwilly13
19-Aug-2008, 03:00 AM

There's a reason for that and it goes for Europe, also. Here in the States, amatuer fighters want to turn pro a.s.a.p., because of $$$ and opportunities. Places like Europe, these amatuer fighters have trained as amatuers much longer. Most do not turn pro, but compete in as many tournaments or world games such as the Olympics. So, it is not uncommon to find guys such as Ukraine fighters who are world champions and have competed in more than one Olympic games. Teddy Atlus hit the nail on the head. Also, many amatuer U.S. fighters trained in a pro style. The same style I also have trained. The is a diffrence between pro and amatuer styles.

Publius
19-Aug-2008, 12:09 PM
and its called the "olympic games" right? then why are u judged and not given the medals based on doing better than your competition? one clear example is gymnastics where theres scores, as well as boxing.

Yeah, I don't trust any games where the winner depends on the subjective opinion of judges. If you can't clearly and objectively measure the winner, it shouldn't be an Olympic sport. Timed swimming is good, synchronized diving is a joke. Track and field, volleyball, basketball, shooting, etc. are good. Something's wrong with gymnastics, boxing, and wrestling.

Philly_SWAT
19-Aug-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, she got robbed.

SymphonicX
19-Aug-2008, 12:24 PM
Gymnastics is awesome to watch, so I'd vote to keep it in the Olympics, but I agree with Publius about judging sports in this event, it's a bit silly. However Basketball an Olympic sport? Gimmie a break...its bad enough having horseriding up there...might as well have an Olympic crufts too...too many national sports in there if you ask me.

Anyway I hate sport really so what do I know.

acealive1
19-Aug-2008, 10:13 PM
drop distance running as the winners are from africa and can do it in their sleep. add american rules and aussie rules football :)

UPDATE!!

the girl who beat nastia liukin is really 12........too young to compete. i say we dont accept their passports for the next games state side :elol::elol::elol:

SRP76
20-Aug-2008, 12:22 AM
These sorts of things always happen. The host country gets a load of favoritism. Look at Sydney in 2000. Australians usually do nothing at the Olympics. But when it's held on their turf, they suddenly come in third in gold medals. Things like this are the reason why.

Bub666
20-Aug-2008, 12:30 AM
the girl who beat nastia liukin is really 12........too young to compete. i say we dont accept their passports for the next games state side :elol::elol::elol:

All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team look like their 12 years old.

acealive1
20-Aug-2008, 12:31 AM
These sorts of things always happen. The host country gets a load of favoritism. Look at Sydney in 2000. Australians usually do nothing at the Olympics. But when it's held on their turf, they suddenly come in third in gold medals. Things like this are the reason why.

at least we back it up when we place high. every olympics we kinda kill the competition in track and swimming

Publius
20-Aug-2008, 12:44 PM
drop distance running as the winners are from africa and can do it in their sleep. add american rules and aussie rules football :)

Dude, the marathon is the signature game of the modern Olympics. It was selected for its mythological connection to ancient Greece. So what if the winners are generally Africans?

axlish
20-Aug-2008, 12:50 PM
Ace, you are a little off in your assessment.

The Chinese girl and Liukin had tie scores, had the same degree of difficulty and the same execution score.

This is how the tie breaker worked. They removed to two lowest scores from each, still tied. Removed the next lowest scores from each, still tied. Removed again and the scores are as follows...

Chinese girl - 9.1, 9.1, 9.0
Liukin - 9.0, 9.1, 9.0

China wins by a tenth of a point. Pretty damn fair if you ask me.

If there is any misjustice to this, the original score given to Liukin was too low and you can pretty much blame that on the Australian judge who gave Liukin an 8.7. You heard that right, Australia, not China is to blame.

Eyebiter
20-Aug-2008, 04:40 PM
All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team look like their 12 years old.

Let me fix that for you...

All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team ARE 12 years old.

Publius
20-Aug-2008, 05:29 PM
Personally, I wonder why they bother with the age limits. If a 12-year-old girl is the best in the world at some sport, give her the gold medal. The Chinese gymnastics program basically takes kids showing promise away from their parents when they're barely out of diapers and raises then on nothing but gymnastics. It's not like the age limit allows these girls to spend their preteen years going to the mall and playing with My Little Pony instead of slaving away in the gym whenever they're not eating or sleeping.

darth los
20-Aug-2008, 05:34 PM
Personally, I wonder why they bother with the age limits. If a 12-year-old girl is the best in the world at some sport, give her the gold medal.

Unless Their age provides some sort of advantage over the rest of the field I don't see a problem either.

Publius
20-Aug-2008, 06:03 PM
Unless Their age provides some sort of advantage over the rest of the field I don't see a problem either.

I don't think that's a problem either. Of course age is a factor in athletic ability. In most Olympic sports the few athletes in their thirties and forties have a physical disadvantage against competitors in their teens and twenties. If for some reason 12-year-olds have some advantage over teenagers in gymnastics, I don't see why that's any different from the advantage teens have over the middle-aged. Why not ban anyone under 45 to level the playing field a little for senior citizens? ;)

darth los
20-Aug-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't think that's a problem either. Of course age is a factor in athletic ability. In most Olympic sports the few athletes in their thirties and forties have a physical disadvantage against competitors in their teens and twenties. If for some reason 12-year-olds have some advantage over teenagers in gymnastics, I don't see why that's any different from the advantage teens have over the middle-aged. Why not ban anyone under 45 to level the playing field a little for senior citizens? ;)

Well, i was thinking more along the lines of it actually causing such a disparity as to liken it to playing an entirely different sport. ( not in the same ballpark so to speak ).

There are many sports, baseball is a good example, where you might have a 20 Year old phenom going against someone in their 40's and it really doesn't affect the playing field that much. Now, if 20 years isn't a disparity that that ruins the game then it has to se something more substantial than age.

acealive1
20-Aug-2008, 08:38 PM
Ace, you are a little off in your assessment.

The Chinese girl and Liukin had tie scores, had the same degree of difficulty and the same execution score.

This is how the tie breaker worked. They removed to two lowest scores from each, still tied. Removed the next lowest scores from each, still tied. Removed again and the scores are as follows...

Chinese girl - 9.1, 9.1, 9.0
Liukin - 9.0, 9.1, 9.0

China wins by a tenth of a point. Pretty damn fair if you ask me.

If there is any misjustice to this, the original score given to Liukin was too low and you can pretty much blame that on the Australian judge who gave Liukin an 8.7. You heard that right, Australia, not China is to blame.

in the event of a tie, ur supposed to give double golds

SRP76
20-Aug-2008, 08:39 PM
They haven't awarded dual gold medals in a few Olympiads. That got phased out a long time ago.

Khardis
20-Aug-2008, 08:44 PM
I am amazed at the amount of cry babying when China wins among Americans... ya know maybe they just out performed us. Christ, suck it up and get over it and hope for better net time.

Bub666
20-Aug-2008, 09:24 PM
Let me fix that for you...

All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team ARE 12 years old.

Thank you for fixing that for me.

SRP76
20-Aug-2008, 10:50 PM
ya know maybe they just out performed us.

Or maybe they didn't, and won anyway. That's what the topic happens to be about.

Khardis
20-Aug-2008, 11:49 PM
Or maybe they didn't, and won anyway. That's what the topic happens to be about.

oh boohooo they beat us and we were better its obviously a racist conspiracy against us!

SRP76
21-Aug-2008, 12:03 AM
oh boohooo they beat us and we were better its obviously a racist conspiracy against us!

Andrade thoroughly beat the hell out of Kim; yet, "oh, he loses on points". That's not "they beat us". That's "someone got screwed". Nobody with a brain would say that Andrade was beaten.

Publius
21-Aug-2008, 12:29 PM

Nobody said anything about racism. I doubt anyone believes the judges just prefer Asians to Caucasians. It does seem plausible, however, that a judge or two here and there is willing to put a thumb on the scale in favor of the host nation.

Dillinger
21-Aug-2008, 02:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news;_ylt=AvCKSik0Q5csnFj6KhCmdzoGqZp4?slug=ap-gym-eventfinals&prov=ap&type=lgns

ok so basically what they're saying is after all the votes were counted and scores tallied,that liukin from the USA and He from china were still tied.

you know what they did next?

went throught about three tiebreaker scenarios and guess what? still tied!!

so for the fourth one...... they counted all of their deductions.....liukin had more ( didnt see that coming cuz china doesn't cheat,right?)

and they also counted the fact another china competitor got the bronze medal. so what they're saying is that your routine and competition means nothing and they basically htrew the scores out of the window because someone marked scores wrong in favor of china.

i say for all english speaking contries from now on that hold the olympics, we basically screw china when it comes to all events. theres a welterweight boxer who dominated all rounds with a chinese boxer except the last one where he just danced around to avoid letting the guy get any points on him LOST THE MATCH. thats like knocking down mike tyson twice a round for 12 rounds and losing to him by decision.

this seem familiar to anyone? well it should. roy jones was denied a medal by south korean judges in the 80's who blantantly cheated for the south korean who even went over after the fight and raised jones' hand knowing he lost.

london 2012, lets give the chinese something to complain about.

ok, my rant is done. but we're getting screwed over there.

Dude, it's the olympics. Who cares? It's not like it's the World Series or Super Bowl. If the rest of the world wants to call Badmitton a sport, let 'em have it. Meanwhile, Americans will continue playing real sports. Half that Olympic stuff is lame anyway.

EDIT: Kind of off the subject, but I watched a little of the opening ceremonies last week, and I couldn't even make it through the first ten minutes without vomiting a little bit. Here is a host country preaching to me about harmony and peace and unity, when a few years back they were running over college kids with tanks. If I wanted to get preached at, i'd get up early on Sunday and go to church with the family.

Usumgal
23-Aug-2008, 05:43 PM
Nastia went home to show off her medals to her sisters Fuglia and Skankia.

Really, who names there kid Nastia??

Bub666
23-Aug-2008, 05:58 PM

Yeah,that is a very strange name.

acealive1
23-Aug-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah,that is a very strange name.

real first name is anastasia......

slickwilly13
23-Aug-2008, 06:22 PM

Because her family is Russian.

Arcades057
24-Aug-2008, 08:34 AM
Because her family is Russian.

Bingo.

Also it appears as though the Chinese children really are children who were 13 or 14 this January. I know the Chinese are a different culture and all that, and I'm sure there are those who know more about them than me, but I don't think their Chinese voodoomagic can make a kid grow 2-3 years in a few months.

ETA: And the reason it matters, Khardis, is for the same reason why it would be wrong for us to do it to them. These girls have worked their whole young lives to get to the Olympics and compete... only to be cheated.

True, the Chinese children have also worked their whole lives... and they can go to the Olympics when they're 16, like the rest of them did. Honesty and sportsmanship is, I guess, too much to ask for these days.

acealive1
24-Aug-2008, 06:57 PM
Bingo.

but I don't think their Chinese voodoomagic can make a kid grow 2-3 years in a few months.

our new orleans voodoo kicks heir chinese voodoo's ass anyday :lol::lol: