We've already had post of when was the first
time you saw Dawn.

This is different.

What I'd like to know, the first time you saw Dawn of the Dead 78

What scene shocked you the most?

What was your favorite line?

What scene stuck with you long after
the movie was over?

What was it that made you want to watch it again?

When did you know exactly that you would be
a die hard fan?

When telling people about the movie what one word did
you use?

How excited were you when you first held your
very own copy of Dawn in your hands?

What cover of the movie still brings back fond
memories of the first time you saw this film?

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t360/Rustyhicks_2008/HBO_Version.jpg
This is the cover I first saw and the cover of the first
copy of the film I ever owned:sneaky::D:p

Doc
22-Aug-2008, 03:43 PM
"What scene shocked you the most?"

The part where the Swat Team members take those wooden boards down and then a whole bunch of zeds start pouring out and the Swat team starts retreating.

Back then it was "Shoot it, man! Shoot it in the head!"

"What scene stuck with you long after
the movie was over?"

I think the whole apartment and Biker Invasion sequences

"What was it that made you want to watch it again?"

To be honest I didn't like Dawn on first viewing I was really disappointed. I watched it again to see if I would change my mind and my second viewing of it was much more enjoyable.

"When did you know exactly that you would be
a die hard fan?"

I certainly know I'm still not one now.

"When telling people about the movie what one word did
you use?"

Ok

"How excited were you when you first held your
very own copy of Dawn in your hands?"

Very.

"What cover of the movie still brings back fond
memories of the first time you saw this film?"

I guess this one:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_jnXVz6pLVOY/RfVpHp-UvOI/AAAAAAAAAP8/oOcTnpix_Ho/s400/dawn_of_the_dead_cover1.jpg

SymphonicX
22-Aug-2008, 04:08 PM
Upon my first viewing of Dawn of the Dead, I was about 12 years old...nothing in that movie shocked me because it was so badly cut down.

Upon my first viewing I never really concentrated on the lines in the movie...

Miguel biting his wife's neck - which was heavily cut (two or three frames of pink flesh underneath, then cut)

That is a good question - because I hated it the first time I saw it...I slated it to my mother who had bought it (she saw it at the cinema when younger)...but one day I was bored at home and decided to put it on again, so I watched through it but got to the point where Roger was reanimating and suddenly I got really creeped out...a few days later my mum was at my neighbours and my dad was at work, so I put it back in and picked it up from that point....and never looked back!

a die hard fan?
Upon my 2nd viewing, getting all the way through it...it blew me away!

you use?
"Brutal"

Not very - my mum purchased the extremely cut down version of Dawn on the Polygram (4front) label when I was 12. I wasn't very up for it....but when I learned how much was cut out, I rented a slightly less cut-down version (Entertainment in Video) of Dawn from my local video shop and was shocked to see how much was left out...at the time the guy that owned the shop would do you a VHS copy of it for a fiver, so we got it copied but it took MONTHS to come...when it finally come I was so excited, but we were going on holiday the next day....well annoying! I spent the whole holiday, aged 13, singing Goblin music...

Great question! The two versions that I've owned look like this:

4front (gold) and Entertainment in Video (black)

capncnut
22-Aug-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, when I first saw Dawn Of The Dead in 1983, it was heavily censored so forgive me if I don't mention certain infamous scenes. Us poor folk in the UK didn't get to see the film in full until 2002.

Arm bite in project 107.

Everyone will say "When there's no more room in hell", etc but I'm not as predictable. How about, "It's ours, we took it, it's OURS!"

What scene stuck with you long after the movie was over?
Flyboy exiting the elevator. When the door opens and the music goes 'DUNNNN', I really couldn't believe it.

Because at the time, never had a movie sucked me in and made we want to be a part of it all. Total adventure material.

When did you know exactly that you would be a die hard fan?
Well, my mom rented it for me the first time I saw it. We didn't return the tape for two weeks. When we did, the video store dude said "Give me a fiver and your boy can keep it". My eyes lit up. I guess it was there and then.

When telling people about the movie what one word did you use?
As a ten-year-old? "Gory".

How excited were you when you first held your very own copy of Dawn in your hands?
See above.

What cover of the movie still brings back fond memories of the first time you saw this film?
See my profile. :D

bassman
22-Aug-2008, 04:37 PM
When I first saw Dawn, I had already seen Night and Day so my initial thoughts were "WTF is this???". I was expecting it to be another dark film. After a few more viewings, I grew to love it for what it is.

I don't really remember being all that shocked. I guess I have to go with the shotgun to the head in the projects.

"This was an important place in their lives."

the movie was over?
All the scenes of zombies shambing around the mall. Especially the scenes during the final credits.

Well...like I said, at first I didn't get it. Now I rewatch it again because it's a fun time.

a die hard fan?
I'm more of a die hard Day fan...but Dawn is a close second. I realized after about the fourth or fifth viewing, I spose...

you use?

cheese.:) But it's smart cheese...

VERY. I had Day and night and spent a very long time trying to find a dvd of Dawn. I ended up ordering one off ebay for 50 bucks. This is when they were OOP.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FMTQNV64L._SL160_.jpg

Mike70
22-Aug-2008, 05:15 PM
This is different.

What scene shocked you the most? the biker who gets ripped apart near the end. the one where the zombies pull out his intestines, etc.

What was your favorite line? "you got papers for this limosuine?"

the movie was over? the part where the main characters take over the mall.

What was it that made you want to watch it again? the whole concept behind it. holing up in a mall with a few friends while the world crumbles.

a die hard fan? after the first view. i wanted to watch it again.

you use? important.

very own copy of Dawn in your hands? i don't really remember.

the one with the newly zombified roger on the cover.

axlish
22-Aug-2008, 06:44 PM

Probably Miguel.

"
Perfect, baby. Perfect."

The headshots rampage in the taking of the mall.

Thinking about how goofy the music was.

When I got uber excited about the Extended Cut on DVD. So excited that I went out and bought a player (in 1999).

One word is too few. The best policy is letting someone borrow it. I have turned several into believers.

How excited were you when you first held your very own copy of Dawn in your hands?

It was one of my first 3 DVDs I bought when I got my player back in 1999 so I was pretty psyched.

What cover of the movie still brings back fond memories of the first time you saw this film?

The grand daddy of em all, the ol' Thorn EMI release.

http://www2.gol.com/users/noman/images/items/vid_us1.jpg

bassman
22-Aug-2008, 06:55 PM
Be careful letting them borrow it, axlish. I let a buddy of mine borrow day and someone he had set it on top of his car to get in, then started driving, it fell off, and he ran over it.:mad:

The discs are fine, but the case is shot to hell...

axlish
22-Aug-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah I know better than to lend out an original disc. I usually make a copy of the Theatrical Cut that was released in 1998. It looks good and is single layer so I don't have to compress it. It is sad but you can't trust anyone anymore as far as borrowed goods go.

sandrock74
22-Aug-2008, 08:33 PM
The guy getting his head blown off by shotgun. Cool!

"Wake us sucker! We're theives and we're bad guys!"

The zombies feeding on the bikers. ewwww

The knowledge that it was a part of a trilogy.

Before the end credits.

Gory

I was happy when I bought it on VHS tape. Remember those?

The one with Roger as a zombie. Thats the one I always saw in the video store and I thought it looked errie.

MinionZombie
22-Aug-2008, 10:03 PM

Shocked? Hmmm, duno really, I wasn't SHOCKED by it per se, but I was shocked by how awesome the movie was. I think the whole housing project segment at the start was the first really gripping scene ... that said, the sheer pace of panic of the whole TV studio bit had me gripped too...the rest of the movie continued this grippage. :)

Don't really have a favourite line, not that I can really think of at the moment.

The entire movie stuck with me long after, in fact after the screen cut to black and the clock chime echoed out to silence, I sat there just stunned until the tape ran out of lead-out blackness and turned off to rewind. That jarred me back to reality and then I set about watching it once a month for the first year.

The fact that it's a superb piece of filmmaking, and the best zombie movie ever made.

After jarring back to reality, after having been left dumbfounded after the final shot of the movie cut to black.

Duno really, it was usually a screed of adoring language mixed with fresh GAR fan fervor.

I was stoked to finally have it, but I couldn't predict the sheer awesomeness and obsession that lay ahead. I wish I could somehow re-witness that time, like from a third person perspective...me watching me watching the movie...hmmm.

My VHS copy of Dawn was the "Director's Cut" BMG 1997 release - it was called the Director's Cut, but it's not - as we all know, as GAR as stated, his 'Director's Cut' was the theatrical cut. This BMG '97 VHS is in fact the Extended Cannes Cut - and my absolute favourite version. I've seen the other versions, and without a doubt the Cannes Cut is THE Dawn of the Dead for me.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QFBQ199AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Below is the DVD version of the cover, but like I've said, I got it on VHS and stuck with that till 2004 when the super fly pimp 4-disc DVD Ultimate Edition came out.

http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/cover%20scans/dawn%20of%20the%20dead.jpg

Danny
23-Aug-2008, 01:16 AM

ii dont get shocked easily, only the woman being tortured in takeshi miikes imprint springs to mind, and blue zombies just couldn't shock me really.

i dont have one in particular, but when the cameraman at the start says something like "our time is finished" its such a tactlessly obvious moment but i still love the impact nonetheless.

the movie was over?

flying over the countryside and the army and the rednecks were getting drunk and blowing up cars.

for one thing it didnt focus on gore, but people and plot instead, to be blunt it was just a good movie, so ,when browsing my vhs (at the time) collection id go for that before zombie flesh eaters or something.

a die hard fan?

when a freind said "okay i get it, its good, just shut up about that ****ing movie"

you use?

"bitchin' "

...i realized my first none bootleg copy was the one with the 30th edition of night in it.....:dead:

good old purple one of the dudes head like a rising sun.

jim102016
23-Aug-2008, 01:22 AM
Upon viewing the director's cut of Dawn for the first time, I was shocked to see Fran's breasts. God, what a MILF that woman is.

bassman
23-Aug-2008, 01:45 AM
Upon viewing the director's cut of Dawn for the first time, I was shocked to see Fran's breasts. God, what a MILF that woman is.

Dude, I know.:p I first saw Dawn when I was a teenager and always had a soft spot for her. Never knew the nudity was in a certain cut, though...

clanglee
23-Aug-2008, 02:43 AM
Miguel biting the neck and arm. When I was a kid this was the most awful and schocking thing I had ever seen.

It's in my Tagline isn't it?

the movie was over?
For some reason it's Fran and the Baseball zombie. Just such a pitiful scene. That and the Sombrero biker getting his arm torn off. I swear I had a phobia about bloodpressure machines for years after that.

Well, it's a great movie isn't it?

a die hard fan?
After the months of nightmares ended, I was hooked on zombies. I can't explain it. .it's some sort of reverse psychological aversion or something. And I have Dawn to thank for that, so yeah. .

you use?
When I first saw it? Well I was like 8 or 9 so probably "SCARY!!!"

I can't remember quite, but I'm sur eI was quite happy.

I saw it first on HBO, so I had no affinity for a particular cover.

strayrider
23-Aug-2008, 03:51 AM
"What scene shocked you the most?"

Exploding head.

"What was your favorite line?"

I need lighter fluid.

the movie was over?"

In the gun store when they're strapping it on for the big takeover.

The second time, just to see it again. After that: various "parts", like the trucks, Rog and Pete's first raid on the department store, the bikers, etc. Used to see the film regularly at the midnights a couple of years after its first release.

a die hard fan?"

Hmmm ... probably after the second viewing.

"When telling people about the movie what one word did
you use?"

Cool.

"How excited were you when you first held your
very own copy of Dawn in your hands?"

Don't recall.

"What cover of the movie still brings back fond
memories of the first time you saw this film?"

Roger Zombie, which was also the cover of the official posterbook.

:D

-stray-

MaximusIncredulous
23-Aug-2008, 07:43 PM
The first time you saw Dawn of the Dead 78
1978 (UA East, which is still in existence, amazingly).

I guess the bikers getting disembowled. Not really shocking but I had never seen that on a large screen before.

"Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them, it gets up and kills. The people it kills get up and kill!"

Seeing Flyboy as a zombie in the elevator and hearing that Goblin sting. He turned out to be the best looking zombie in the movie.

A great movie overall but it might have been the editing that really sucked me in. The film has such a wonderful tempo.

After the first viewing.

Great.

Ecstatic would be a better description.

http://memorabilia.homepageofthedead.com/i/99_1_1.jpg

This sucker made me switch from CED videodiscs to Betamax (I think that might actually be my video cover).

bassman
23-Aug-2008, 07:50 PM
This is unrelated to the thread, but maximus....is your avatar Michael Corleone wearing head phones?:lol:

MaximusIncredulous
23-Aug-2008, 07:53 PM
This is unrelated to the thread, but maximus....is your avatar Michael Corleone wearing head phones?:lol:

Yes. He looks soooo into the tunes :D

sartori
23-Aug-2008, 08:02 PM
I was stunned when I first saw this in the theater. It had a great opening suspense story before digging deeper into character development. It moved right along and IN YER FACE all the way! Hard hitting!

RustyHicks
23-Aug-2008, 10:42 PM
I was stunned when I first saw this in the theater. It had a great opening suspense story before digging deeper into character development. It moved right along and IN YER FACE all the way! Hard hitting!

I was really talking about Dawn of the Dead (1978):lol::rant:
But oh well lol

What scene shocked you the most?"

When Roger got bit. I didn't think such a strong character would get it.

"What was your favorite line?"

I'm going to try not to come back

the movie was over?"
When the elevator doors open and Stephen stand there as a zombie
and that chilling music

Just the whole fun of watching the four take
over the mall

a die hard fan?"
I knew once me and my friend would spend our Saturday