PDA

View Full Version : Russell Crowe to play Bill Hicks?

capncnut
24-Aug-2008, 02:16 AM
According to Empire Online, Russell Crowe is mulling over the top spot in a planned Bill Hicks biopic.

Ridley Scott's Nottingham has been pushed back indefinitely but at least until Spring, what with any self-respecting Robin Hood requiring that leaves be on the trees before he can commence robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. But star Russell Crowe isn't going to let the grass grow under his feet until spring, oh no. Instead, he's trying to get underway with a new biopic of achingly cool comedy legend Bill Hicks.

For those of you not in the know, Hicks was one of the smartest, most acerbic comedians of the 80s and early 90s, who struggled with drink and drugs before getting his career back on track - only to fall victim to cancer at just 32 years old. Despite his tragically young death, he lived long enough and worked hard enough to influence pretty much every comedian since, and has been paid tribute in everything from The Simpsons to the comic series Preacher.

New Zealand writer Mark Staufer has already written a treatment for a possible film, and is now turning that into a draft script, in the hope that it will hit production before the leaves unfold again in Sherwood Forest. And while he has not hitherto been known for comedy Crowe is not a bad likeness for Hicks - check out the AEnima album inlay that shows Hicks depicted here and tell us that doesn't look at least a bit like our favourite phone-chucker - and could do very well at this sort of intense stand up. Even better, enjoy some vintage Hicks standup right here, and see why it is that his biopic is a good idea.

Click (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23102) for article.

I don't quite share that reporters enthusiasm personally. :rolleyes:

SymphonicX
24-Aug-2008, 09:05 AM
I love Bill Hicks, so would love to see this. Although I dislike Crowe, would prefer someone else to play him....

Danny
24-Aug-2008, 10:46 AM
thats some bad casting, but i reckon hicks himself would laugh about it.

Bub666
24-Aug-2008, 03:27 PM
I love Bill Hicks, so would love to see this. Although I dislike Crowe, would prefer someone else to play him....

Yeah,I dislike Russell Crowe too.If they do make this movie,they need to get someone else to play Bill Hicks.

kidgloves
24-Aug-2008, 09:31 PM
A Bill Hicks biopic. It's about time. The man deserves some form of mainstream recognition.
I don't get the hate for Russell Crowe. He is a superb actor. This tag of Hollywood bad boy is just tabloid generated nonsense

RustyHicks
24-Aug-2008, 11:15 PM
Would be great to see a movie about Bill Hicks,
he deserves it.

hmmmm maybe I should try for the role:annoyed::rockbrow::dead::evil:

At least a Hicks could play a Hicks

J/K

capncnut
24-Aug-2008, 11:26 PM
maybe I should try for the role
But can you do Randy Pan the Goatboy? :D

AcesandEights
25-Aug-2008, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, what mixed feelings I have.

I think Bill Hicks was awesome. Simply one of the most thought provoking entertainers of the last half of the 20th century...and that's saying a lot (especially for a comedian). and I respect Crowe's acting ability. However, despite what some people might think, I believe Crowe *is* a jackass...even if one tenth of what is said about him is true, he's a dick. Also, it's odd casting, but I'm not convinced Crowe couldn't pull it off...

It'd certainly be huge for Crowe if he could pull it and the film was well written and directed. It'd garner a lot of critical acclaim, if done well.

MikePizzoff
25-Aug-2008, 05:11 PM
Bill Hicks...? No clue who he is. :confused:

Danny
25-Aug-2008, 05:31 PM

COLOSSAL, TOTAL UNIVERSE MELTDOWN FAIL!!!!!!11!!!1ONEONE11!!!!

bassman
25-Aug-2008, 05:33 PM

This is the first I've heard of him too. But I looked up some of his stuff. Pretty good. I've seen better, though....

jSH6ofHbeUw&hl=en&fs=1

darth los
25-Aug-2008, 06:07 PM

He was an 80's comedian. They were a raunchy bunch i'll tell you that much. How p.c. things have gotten. :(