PDA

View Full Version : Romero-type zombies and animals

DrX
27-Aug-2008, 03:53 PM
Please help me settle a ridiculous debate. What would happen in a fight between a zombie and crocodile? (I told you it's ridiculous.) We had previously specified that the zombie would be following the "rules" of the standard Romero films. I think, quite obviously, the crocoduile whould be able to tear into the zombie and probably destroy it fairly easily. However, is there any evidence from the films to say if the zombie bite poison will kill an animal? (I think it's pretty safe to say that animals don't become undead in GAR films.)

The only living animal I can recall seeing in a Dead film is the crocodile in the beginning of Day, but I've only seen Land once and have not yet seen Diary. Any help?

(By the way, if you want to see where this insanity is coming from, check out the Creature Arena Fights at Batter Fried Bacon (http://batterfriedbacon.blogspot.com/).)

Trencher
27-Aug-2008, 08:53 PM
Crocodiles love rotting meat and would gobble down a zombie without any trouble at all, if the zombie is poisionous to the crocodile I dont know but I dont think so.

bassman
27-Aug-2008, 09:11 PM
In Romero's world animals don't become zombies. The crocs at the beginning of Day are alive, not dead.

(By the way, if you want to see where this insanity is coming from, check out the Creature Arena Fights at Batter Fried Bacon (http://batterfriedbacon.blogspot.com/).)

Is this post just an attempt to get people to visit your site?:sneaky:

SymphonicX
27-Aug-2008, 09:23 PM
I need to counter this argument.

In NOTLD, the radio guy is specifically talking about an elephant that tries to move it's trunk after it's dead..."it opened it's eyes, and tried to move".

Also Dr Millard Rausch explains that "even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner"

Someone want to clarify this for me? have i got it totally backwards?

bassman
27-Aug-2008, 09:36 PM
I need to counter this argument.

In NOTLD, the radio guy is specifically talking about an elephant that tries to move it's trunk after it's dead..."it opened it's eyes, and tried to move".

Also Dr Millard Rausch explains that "even animals will adopt the basic use of tools in this manner"

Someone want to clarify this for me? have i got it totally backwards?

I don't remember the thing about the elephant, but I think Rausch was just saying that the dead humans are about as smart as a LIVE animal.

Doc
27-Aug-2008, 09:43 PM

Actually it was a cadaver.

Trin
27-Aug-2008, 09:44 PM
The crocodile in Day sure looked to be alive. And there were plenty of zombies around. So it stands to reason that either the zombies were never a threat to it or the two had never tussled. Whether or not it was eating them is impossible to tell. I've heard that crocs will eat about anything, but at the same time you didn't see any corpses around that were mutilated like a crocodile would do. The zombies in general don't come off as decayed in the sense of rotting meat. They don't attract flies or maggots, why crocodiles? Hard to tell.

I don't recall the NOTLD reference to the elephant. Is that in the '68 version?

The reference to animals using tools by Rausch in Dawn '78 was not related to zombie animals at all. He was merely pointing out that the zombies were not showing evidence of intelligence higher than that of an animal. Since animals can use tools in the same way as the zombies were using tools.

In Land I believe we did see a live rat in the shed where Mouse was waiting for the money.

The simple lack of evidence also points toward a conclusion - if animals followed the same rules as humans I think the news reports would've mentioned it. "It's not your parent or sibling or hamster anymore."

In the Land script there is a reference to rats being zombie rats. Don't beat me up - I know it's not in the movies so it doesn't count. But it proves that GAR was not opposed to the idea. Frankly, I'm glad he didn't go through with it. It raises too many questions. Just think of the debate it would cause. You'd never have any survivors in a world like Land. Or Day. Or Dawn. The rats alone would multiply in living numbers early on and once they started dying there would never be a safe place again. You're worried about 100,000 humans as zombies? What about 100,000,000 zombie rats?

I think this is also noteworthy from the Land script.
"The rat is now half a rat. Its ass has been blown off. Yet IT’S STILL RUNNING!"

Next topic - Running rats versus shambling rats!!

Doc
27-Aug-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't recall the NOTLD reference to the elephant. Is that in the '68 version?

Yeah it was in the part when the dude which Mr. DubiousComforts has as a avatar is on tv and says something about a cadaver in university that opened its eyes and tried to move.

Next we should debate running dog zombies versus shambling dog zombies!! :eek:

:lol::shifty:

Mike70
27-Aug-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah it was in the part when the dude which Mr. DubiousComforts has as a avatar is on tv and says something about a cadaver in university that opened its eyes and tried to move.

doc is dead on here folks.

it was a cadaver from which all the limbs had been removed. the trunk referred to in the news report was in reference to that.

SymphonicX
27-Aug-2008, 10:03 PM

:lol::shifty:

But I specifically remember the word "trunk"...was it in a car or something?!

doc is dead on here folks.

it was a cadaver from which all the limbs had been removed. the trunk referred to in the news report was in reference to that.

Ehhh?

I don't remember the thing about the elephant, but I think Rausch was just saying that the dead humans are about as smart as a LIVE animal.

Name me an animal live or dead that uses tools?!

hahaha

SRP76
27-Aug-2008, 10:13 PM
Trunk = your body. Without limbs. Just like a tree.

And the mongoose uses rocks to beat cobras to death. The mongoose snaps it like a football, beaning the snake. Looks ridiculous, but it works. That goes under "using external articles as bludgeons".

Mike70
27-Aug-2008, 10:23 PM

hahaha

chimps use sticks to fish for termites. they also use rocks to bust open nuts and occasionally have been known to use sticks as weapons.

2N34Fcn3J00

CmgXMpHtZkA

DrX
28-Aug-2008, 01:52 AM
In Romero's world animals don't become zombies. The crocs at the beginning of Day are alive, not dead.

Is this post just an attempt to get people to visit your site?:sneaky:

Yeah, as I said, I'm fairly certain there are no undead animals. The (probably unanswerable) questions are:

-- Are zombies toxic to animals, or just to people? I can't remember if there are any gross-out scenes of zombies with bugs or maggots eating them.... that might help.

-- Do zombies eat animals? Again, can't recall an animal being eaten in a GAR film... though animals are also very rarely seen.

And I could care less if you visit our site. Just trying to settle a debate. :D

Bub666
28-Aug-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah, the crocodile would eat the zombie.

bassman
28-Aug-2008, 02:10 AM

hahaha

What scip said. I guess you don't watch too many documentaries on certain animals...

sandrock74
28-Aug-2008, 02:11 AM
It was mentioned in passing in DAWN (the original) on one of the newscasts that ONLY humans and higher order primates were affected by the zombie virus (or whatever it was). Obviously that would be due to humans and higher order primates being so close genetically.

Besides, your average animal would have little to worry from a shambling zombie. Remember, animals sense of smell is far superior to that of a human, not to mention hearing AND some animals can see in the dark! Most animals would know a zombie was approaching long before it got to them.

Bub666
28-Aug-2008, 02:16 AM
It was mentioned in passing in DAWN (the original) on one of the newscasts that ONLY humans and higher order primates were affected by the zombie virus

I must of missed that.Where in the movie was that?

Griff
28-Aug-2008, 05:59 AM

Ha ha. And I thought you were kidding...

Doc
28-Aug-2008, 11:53 AM
-- Do zombies eat animals? Again, can't recall an animal being eaten in a GAR film... though animals are also very rarely seen.

Well there was one zed who devoured a bug in Night.

Mike70
28-Aug-2008, 12:09 PM
Well there was one zed who devoured a bug in Night.

then there were the zombies that were eating/fighting over the mouse in night90.

slickwilly13
28-Aug-2008, 03:00 PM
Did a zombie catch a snake in NOTLD '68?

Legion2213
28-Aug-2008, 03:03 PM
Any zombie going up against a croc is lunch.

There is a cracking little story about a Croc V's Zombie encounter in the fiction section, can't remember what it's called, I will post the title later, it's well worth the few minutes it takes to read.

Edit: It's called "Predatory Species", it can be found on page 19 of the fiction section.

Doc
28-Aug-2008, 09:39 PM
Did a zombie catch a snake in NOTLD '68?

Nope. I pretty sure it was just some of the remains of Tom and Judy.

Bub666
28-Aug-2008, 11:13 PM
Nope. I pretty sure it was just some of the remains of Tom and Judy.

Yeah,I think it was their intestines.

slickwilly13
28-Aug-2008, 11:47 PM
I am certain it was before the feeding scene. I remember the intestines fight. I'll watch the movie again one day and see if I can spot it.

Bub666
28-Aug-2008, 11:54 PM
I'am going to have to watch NOTLD '68 this weekend,I don't remember a snake in that movie.

slickwilly13
28-Aug-2008, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, I have the infamous version and I am not sitting through that again. I do have some award pts at Best Buy. I could probably get the newest edition for free.

sandrock74
29-Aug-2008, 01:08 AM
There is no snake in either version of NIGHT. You must be thinking of something else.

Griff
29-Aug-2008, 02:52 AM
Have we learnt nothing from shark vs zombie?

hSPG9QQg4C0

Bub666
29-Aug-2008, 03:05 AM
Have we learnt nothing from shark vs zombie?

hSPG9QQg4C0

I love that scene.

Trencher
29-Aug-2008, 02:24 PM
In night a zombie eats a catapillar that she picks up from a branch.
Zombies are seen to eat what they get their hands on humans are just the easiest prey for them. In any case one thing I allways have wondered about is why no zombies attacked the alligator in Day but Romero answerd that by showing us that they actually learn.

Neil
29-Aug-2008, 02:46 PM
In night a zombie eats a catapillar that she picks up from a branch.
Zombies are seen to eat what they get their hands on humans are just the easiest prey for them. In any case one thing I allways have wondered about is why no zombies attacked the alligator in Day but Romero answerd that by showing us that they actually learn.

I think in 'Night' Romero was a little unsure of his rules... We see zombies almost running at times, showing clear intelligence (picking up stones to break windows and tools to stab people), eating non-human flesh, ie: insects and mice...

The rules seems to bed down at times in Night, and definately for his latter living dead films...

Trencher
29-Aug-2008, 10:15 PM
The rules seems to bed down at times in Night, and definately for his latter living dead films...
I did not like the fact that the zombies could learn and have distinct personalites, but I did like the unpredictability of the zombies in night. It makes them more scary as enemies and places the focus on the humans in the house where it belong.

carpetbeggar
31-Aug-2008, 12:58 AM
I think in 'Night' Romero was a little unsure of his rules... We see zombies almost running at times, showing clear intelligence (picking up stones to break windows and tools to stab people), eating non-human flesh, ie: insects and mice...

Great post Neil, I totally agree with you here.

darth los
31-Aug-2008, 01:14 AM
I love that scene.

After the hot chick in the g-string appears i can't keep my mind on anything else.

I could swear that there was an interview or commentary i saw somewhere saying something to that affect. However, i can't pinpoint where right now.

Neil
31-Aug-2008, 06:02 AM
I could swear that there was an interview or commentary i saw somewhere saying something to that affect. However, i can't pinpoint where right now.

See! I told you I was a genius!

darth los
01-Sep-2008, 12:15 AM
See! I told you I was a genius!

It's obvious to anyone who has watched the series that he didn't have his rules written in stone at that point. Jogging ghouls, ghouls that eat bugs and what seems like the containment of the problem ( it's certainly implied ) by the end of the film suggests that he didn't give much thought to future installments of the series. He was just an independent film maker trying to break into the business. It's funny how nowday sequels are almost a given. There was a different mentality back then when it came to movie making.

jim102016
01-Sep-2008, 04:22 AM
An elephant? ****, I guess that part of the movie puts me to sleep. Don't remember anything about animals. Have to watch it again soon.

sandrock74
01-Sep-2008, 05:52 AM
There was NO elephant featured OR mentioned in NIGHT! None, zero, ziltch, nada. The "trunk" that was referred to was the torso (a body) of a corpse that had its limbs surgically removed and the corpse still reanimated and tried to move about.

Its been explained already in this very thread but I guess some people still don't understand what was meant in the news report.

Yojimbo
01-Sep-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, no zombie elephants for sure. That was a misunderstanding of the use of the word "Trunk" as related to a cadaver that had it's arms and legs amputated but tried to move.

And on the subject of Romero's rules varying from Night to later installments: while I agree that Romero had not solidified the rules per se when he made night, I do remember seeing a zombie in Dawn using a tire iron to break open a window. And while in Dawn we did not see any zombies eating anything but human flesh, we did see a pair of fairly quick-footed children zombies converging on Peter. While they were not really running, ala DAWN 04, they were moving pretty quick. So there is, at least, some consistenency between the ghouls in Night andthe ghouls in Dawn.

JasonEdw
08-Sep-2008, 05:11 AM
I swear I posted a reply twice, but oh well, here goes a third try...
This topic reminded me of something I seen on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0