PDA

View Full Version : DOTD Extended Mall Hours Cut

chuckroast
02-Sep-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi everyone.. Wow! I haven't been back here in roughly 8+ years. I see that Neal has updated the board since, I couldn't remember my username anyway, so I registered a new one..

Anyway, I recently came across another copy of Dawn78 called the Extended Mall Hours cut. I wasn't sure if anyone here has heard or seen it but I have recently fallen in love with it.
Basically someone took the 126 minute (Romero’s theatrical cut) / the 139 minute (Cannes cut) / and the 117 minute (Argento cut) and spliced them together to make a really nice 155 minute 7.4 GB English Language (dual layer) DVD.

Apparently it's about the closest thing to Romero's original long cut.
So I figured I would pop in and see if anyone else has seen this and what their thoughts are about it.

capncnut
02-Sep-2008, 03:44 AM
Yup, seen it. Well, a variation of it because anything outside of the three versions is essentially a bootleg. For a short time, the 155 minute version was released in Germany but removed from shelves when it was discovered that it was not legitimate.

But yeah, 'Mall Hours' sounds like a fancut. And I've seen a few of those in my time - most of which seem to borrow from the Ultimate Edition and have varying dgrees of sound.

But anyway, welcome back! :)

chuckroast
02-Sep-2008, 04:01 AM
Yes capncnut you are right.

It was a fanedit. The first thing I noticed was the that the sound and color matched up really well. They even went to the length of creating a pretty cool looking menu and chapters.

Anyway.. Thanks for your reply. It's nice to see that there are still cool people hanging out here.

capncnut
02-Sep-2008, 04:18 AM
No problem. :)

While I do like to view the fancut often, I have to admit that some of the film's momentum is lost in all that extra footage. But for the most part, it works - especially the extended scene in the Civil Defense area, when Flyboy gets ahead of himself. I would love to see GAR re-edit the film from scratch and set about patching up some of the audio. I'd buy that.

Yojimbo
03-Sep-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone.. Wow! I haven't been back here in roughly 8+ years. I see that Neal has updated the board since, I couldn't remember my username anyway, so I registered a new one..

Anyway, I recently came across another copy of Dawn78 called the Extended Mall Hours cut. I wasn't sure if anyone here has heard or seen it but I have recently fallen in love with it.
Basically someone took the 126 minute (Romero’s theatrical cut) / the 139 minute (Cannes cut) / and the 117 minute (Argento cut) and spliced them together to make a really nice 155 minute 7.4 GB English Language (dual layer) DVD.

Apparently it's about the closest thing to Romero's original long cut.
So I figured I would pop in and see if anyone else has seen this and what their thoughts are about it.

Welcome back to the boards, brother.

I have always heard about these fancuts, and have thought of doing my own for the hell of it, but have never actually gotten my hands on one of these. Could you by chance provide us with a link to a source?

axlish
03-Sep-2008, 07:48 PM
Linking to something like this would not be allowed. I suggest Google, it isn't that hard to find.

Bub666
04-Sep-2008, 12:55 AM
I've never seen any of the fancuts.

Yojimbo
04-Sep-2008, 10:31 PM
Linking to something like this would not be allowed. I suggest Google, it isn't that hard to find.

Sorry Axlish. Common sense should have dictated to me that linking to this would be verboten, just did not think it through. Will be more careful next time.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Sep-2008, 12:06 PM
I just got this this morning and I am watching it now. Some of the music cues are off their mark, but so far the color match is almost 100% spot on. I had witnessed one scene where the color correction was way off.

I would so far say it is worth hunting down, if you are a true die hard fan of DAWN.