PDA

View Full Version : So ... I finally saw "The Happening" ...

MinionZombie
03-Sep-2008, 04:33 PM
And here's what I thought. :elol:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/09/happening.html

:annoyed:

Danny
03-Sep-2008, 04:40 PM
thats pretty much what i said a few months back, only i called the black haired bint "the **** kirsten dunst", the air, natures killer.

-though for the record lady in the water was a contemporary set fantasy tale that i loved, many didnt because its not horror, nor is there a twist, but yeah, go and give it a rewatch, its pretty damn cool i think.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Sep-2008, 06:06 PM
It looks godawful.

Skippy911sc
03-Sep-2008, 06:19 PM
It had its flaws but rather enjoyed it.

MinionZombie
03-Sep-2008, 07:29 PM
It had its flaws but rather enjoyed it.
You must have been high at the time, surely?

I just couldn't forgive how inept the script was, how stupid the dialogue was, how misplaced and mistimed and misjudged it all was ... oh it was heinous.

Never seen Lady in the Water, and never want to either.

MNS should just piss off and live off the proceeds, do us all a favour. :lol:

MikePizzoff
03-Sep-2008, 07:30 PM
I can't get your blog to load, but what I'm gathering from your emoticon smashing its head against a wall, you didn't like the movie.

I didn't like it when I walked out of the theatre. Although, for the next few days I thought a lot of stuff over and replayed many scenes in my head and realized it's a great flick. It was SUPPOSED to have all of the bad qualities everyone complains about.

If you've ever been a fan of 80's B-grade horror movies, then you could easily see the beauty in this film if you just re-watch it or re-think it over.

MinionZombie
03-Sep-2008, 07:44 PM
Loads fine for me.

But I don't buy all this "80's style b-movie" stuff, not only is it an insult to great 80's b-movies, but it's not even properly employed as a style in The Happening ... it's simply just sh*t. :lol:

MikePizzoff
04-Sep-2008, 01:43 PM
But it's purposely done sh*t! :D

bassman
04-Sep-2008, 01:55 PM
But it's purposely done sh*t! :D

People say that about other movies too...but to some people they still just flat out suck

coughROTLDcough:D

MinionZombie
04-Sep-2008, 04:35 PM
I really don't think The Happening was done sh*t on purpose, if it was, why wasn't that part of the promotion - "oh it's a tongue in cheek, b-movie gag-fest"?

No, Shalalalalalaaaaa just wrote, produced and directed an utter turd. :lol:

Only Marky Mark and the hotdog lover come out of that movie alive...well, not hot dog lover literally but you know...and why bother including Brian O'Halloran if you're just gonna ignore him then ditch him through an undercranked car's window? :D

God that movie was sh*te.

Skippy911sc
04-Sep-2008, 05:32 PM
I liked the premise...I understand your point of view and simply disagree. It was not the best movie I have seen, but I thought it was better than planet terror. I don't need the non-stop action that today's youth requires. I enjoy the more slow paces suspense oriented films. If you think about it Jaws would never have been made today...it was slow building the story then bam! Now I am not comparing Jaws to the Happening, just the pacing of the film.

MinionZombie
04-Sep-2008, 06:35 PM
That doesn't make any sense at all Skippy, Planet Terror and The Happening are so insanely different from one another.

Now if you compared it to something like The Day After Tomorrow, another enviro-minded film that talks a load of bollocks, there might be some discussion there, but ... Planet Terror? What hat did you draw that out of? :p:D

CornishCorpse
04-Sep-2008, 08:08 PM
Havent seen the happening but agree on all the other films so will try and stay away from this stinker unless it fills the "3am quite drunk with friends" slot and even then I have a sea of cheesy films to fill that slot. Most notably the 80`s fighting movie collection! Thats what it actually says on the front : face palm : Shaft even makes an apperance! :D

Check out lady in the water its diffrent from the others, its a quite beautiful film and the best shot Ive seen at modern fantasy in a long time. Its actually worth a watch, my gf loved it so much she watched it and her taste is *mostly* bang on :mumble: dawnisaclassic :mumble:

Danny
04-Sep-2008, 10:28 PM
it was not advertised as a b movie, ive yet to hear shyamilan say that BEFORE any reviews panned it.

its a poor as hell movie plain and simple, writing?, bad. acting?, oh yeah, very bad?- i can go on and on but its a clear cut case of preaching to an audience whilst treating them like idiots. hands down his worst movie.

Skippy911sc
04-Sep-2008, 11:11 PM
I compared the Happening to Planet Terror because both are trying to be something different. As far as the acting goes...Bad...but give me the name of a Marky Mark movie that did not contain bad acting (that wasn't on purpose). Like I've stated before...it was entertaining, the death scenes were pretty cool, the plot...not so much. But I like the pace...building tension...was very similar, IMHO, to signs (as far as pacing goes). I like slow movies that build tension and then somewhat let you down...like the mist. :hyper:

bassman
04-Sep-2008, 11:27 PM
As far as the acting goes...Bad...but give me the name of a Marky Mark movie that did not contain bad acting (that wasn't on purpose).:

The Basketball Diaries and The Departed?

Bub666
05-Sep-2008, 01:27 AM
The Happening was a horrible movie.

kidgloves
05-Sep-2008, 12:53 PM
Gotta agree with Bub.
This is a truly awful movie. Completely dis-jointed and makes NO sense whatsoever.
Steer well clear.

Skippy911sc
05-Sep-2008, 03:02 PM
The Basketball Diaries and The Departed?

I'll give you basketball diaries but the departed...Have you watched Marky Mark in that movie? I think the movie was good but his acting...not so much. I think his best work was in Boogie Nights and he was supposed to act badly.

MikePizzoff
05-Sep-2008, 05:11 PM
I, personally, really like Mark Wahlberg's acting. Boogie Nights being his crowning achievement, in my opinion.

MinionZombie
05-Sep-2008, 05:35 PM
Boogie Nights was f*ckin' awesome to be fair.

I think Wahlberg acts well too, I really enjoyed him in The Departed, he kicked arse at the end of that flick.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Max Payne, and the movie in general, although admittedly my expectations aren't high being as it's a game-to-movie deely.

Bub666
06-Sep-2008, 12:27 PM
I, personally, really like Mark Wahlberg's acting. Boogie Nights being his crowning achievement, in my opinion.

Boogie Nights was a great movie.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, curiosity finally got the best of me. I rented The Happening tonight and sat down to watch it, be prepared for a SPOILER RIDDEN REVIEW.

An environmental event takes its toll on the Northeastern US coast, the trees and plants are fighting back, ridding the earth of the pests we know as humans. The toxin released into the air turns people into suicidal lunatics that do everything in their power to kill themselves, a great concept, that is pretty creepy, especially when people in NYC start throwing themselves from roofs and highrises.

This film falls apart as soon as Zooey Daschanel and Mark Wahlberg hit the screen. The acting, is atrocious, the directing, non existent, the screenplay... a joke.

Here was a movie with a cool concept just poorly executed from the 20 minute mark til the 1:30:00 mark where it ended.

Tis a shame.

Danny
11-Jan-2009, 02:05 AM
i just got this for christmas on blu-ray (i also got socks!) and i like walbergs acting but his wife just ruins it for me, not the plot, that i can dig, little preachy and predictable but not bad, its the fucking woman that hands down ruins it for me bar nothing else.

-and in the extras shamylan is SO far up his own ass its barely funny.

EvilNed
11-Jan-2009, 09:38 AM
I liked it. That's all I got to say. So it's not an utter turd, because someone obviously liked it. :p

I liked the slow suspense bit, compared to the actionriddled, fast paced of many modern horror/suspensebits.

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2009, 11:06 AM
I can't understand why anyone would like this movie, it's beyond turd.

Zooey Deschaniel - who works well in other movies to varying degrees (e.g. the cooky young chick that Jim Carrey gets his end away with in Yes Man) - and she was good in a small role in The Assassination of Jesse James, although she was only on screen for a little bit in that.

Anyway, Zooey was, for some reason, absolutely god-awful in The Shittening ... the direction was awful, the script abominable, the plot boring, the acting non-existant/really weird/teeth-grindingly bad ... the whole thing was complete and utter pish.

Shyamalan should quit making movies, for the love of all that's holy.

Danny
11-Jan-2009, 01:25 PM
absolutely god-awful in The Shittening ...

i think the correct term is the crapening.:lol:

capncnut
11-Jan-2009, 01:26 PM
Zooey Deschaniel - who works well in other movies to varying degrees (e.g. the cooky young chick that Jim Carrey gets his end away with in Yes Man) - and she was good in a small role in The Assassination of Jesse James, although she was only on screen for a little bit in that.

Anyway, Zooey was, for some reason, absolutely god-awful in The Shittening ... the direction was awful, the script abominable, the plot boring, the acting non-existant/really weird/teeth-grindingly bad ... the whole thing was complete and utter pish.
You're right, Zooey is a weird one. I've seen a few movies where she has really shined (I could be biased though becuase I do find her rather attractive ;)) but in others she comes across like a piece of cardboard. All The Real Girls being an example, not a bad film really but the characters are totally barren. Her acting in it is just difficult to watch and full of "um's".

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2009, 01:49 PM
I think had this movie been cast and directed by people than those involved, and went through another draft it would have been totally kick ass. There was a creepy vibe to it. The first 20 minutes were pretty good, then it just fell apart.

MinionZombie
11-Jan-2009, 07:41 PM
Hellsing - what about "The Rape-ening"?

Capn - yeah, she is a delectable dish - it has to be said - but goodness me, her performances do vary greatly. She can put out a good performance (like in Yes Man, where you just want your own one of her character), or like her (albeit brief) appearance in The Assassination of Jesse James ... ... but then you've got "The Anal Bleed-ening", and she's preposterously bad ... what the hell happened, Zooey? :eek:

Maybe that is what 'the happening' in The Happening was all about? :D

Deej - you liked the first 20 minutes? The idea could have worked, but from second-one in this crap-fest, it was all boring-as-shit or just eye-rollingly-stupid.

The most boring and non-dramatic mass 'suicides' ever captured on film.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Jan-2009, 12:24 AM
I dunno dude, those bodies dropping off the building all around the construction crew was pretty creepy, and the way people just killed themselves was pretty disturbing. Too bad that couldn't have all been used ina better movie. However, the underlying theme was far fetched, but imagine if there was some kind of bio-weapon that could make you do such things, and it happened in the real world?

Those not affected would be freaking the fuck out when the shit started going down.