PDA

View Full Version : John Amplas interview

thxleo
05-Sep-2008, 04:56 PM
For anyone that might be interested, my interview with John Amplas has been published by Horrorhound magazine. It is in the new issue(issue 13) that just came out with Michael Jackson's Thriller on the cover.
The interview was originally going to appear here on HPOTD back in May, but the opportunity to be in Horrorhound came about and Neil was gracious enough to understand.
Thanks!

Bub666
05-Sep-2008, 06:45 PM
Very cool.

darth los
05-Sep-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh yeah, i remember this. I had forgotten all about it. I wonder if he asked him how it felt to play Martinez. I just gotta know !!:hyper:

gallowisgod
06-Apr-2009, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know if it was a good interview? Was there pictures and indepth questions and all that? I'd rather not buy it if it's just a tiny short one. :X (especially since shipping to Sweden isn't that cheap, grrr.)

AcesandEights
06-Apr-2009, 02:00 PM
Congrats on the publication, Thxleo! Snagging an interview seems like it would be great, getting it published in print, even better.

The interview was originally going to appear here on HPOTD back in May, but the opportunity to be in Horrorhound came about and Neil was gracious enough to understand.

That's very cool, actually.

I'll see if I can pick up a copy at one of the magazine shops on the way to the train this week. I don't know that I've ever read Horrorhound. I'll let you know if I find a copy.

Yojimbo
06-Apr-2009, 05:22 PM
Good job, Brother Thxleo! I have never seen this publication on the stands, but will seek it out.

Just curious, and at the risk of throwing gas on the fire, did Ampalas confirm in any way that his gangbanger character in DOTD 78 was indeed the role of Martinez? There was a debate not too long ago here over whether or not Martinez was the Ampalas character or another dude that came out of the stairwell (since the interview with Hare Krishna zombie mentioned that Martinez was played by someone else)

thxleo
09-Apr-2009, 01:50 AM
Good job, Brother Thxleo! I have never seen this publication on the stands, but will seek it out.

Just curious, and at the risk of throwing gas on the fire, did Ampalas confirm in any way that his gangbanger character in DOTD 78 was indeed the role of Martinez? There was a debate not too long ago here over whether or not Martinez was the Ampalas character or another dude that came out of the stairwell (since the interview with Hare Krishna zombie mentioned that Martinez was played by someone else)

Thanks for the kind words Yojimbo and Acesand Eights. Yes, John was definitely the Martinez character. However, Joe Shelby has been claiming to have played the character at convention appearances. I think this is just confusion on Shelby's part, not meaning to be underhanded at all. At first John was surprised when he found this out, but he decided not to make an issue of it and has just let it stay that way. To be frank, he does not really care. LOL
BTW, John will be at the Chiller Theatre convention April 17-19, 2009 in New Jersey. I'll be with John at his table, so I hope to meet any HPOTD members at the show if anyone can make it.

gallowisgod
09-Apr-2009, 10:23 AM
BTW, John will be at the Chiller Theatre convention April 17-19, 2009 in New Jersey. I'll be with John at his table, so I hope to meet any HPOTD members at the show if anyone can make it.

Aww man... It'd be amazing to see him in person. Too bad I'm poor and live in Sweden. :(

axlish
09-Apr-2009, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to add that Horrorhound is a damn fine magazine and I make sure and buy every issue. It has separated itself from Rue Morgue and Fangoria and in my opinion is easily the best horror magazine in print.

Regarding the Martinez/Amplas/Shelby issue, of course Amplas is Martinez, it is a play on his former character of Martin. Amplas, being gratious, has allowed Shelby the victory, but I say us fans must take to the streets and fight for what's right!

gallowisgod
09-Apr-2009, 12:35 PM
For anyone that might be interested, my interview with John Amplas has been published by Horrorhound magazine.

Geez, I'm such an idiot. I didn't realize the topic had been started by the author himself! Haha, I'm so sorry. I think I got a bit overexcited when reading there was a new interview with John. Anyway, a late congratulations on the publication! Do you mind saying how many pages the interview is?

I just wanted to add that Horrorhound is a damn fine magazine and I make sure and buy every issue. It has separated itself from Rue Morgue and Fangoria and in my opinion is easily the best horror magazine in print.

That's great to hear! I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up.

Regarding the Martinez/Amplas/Shelby issue, of course Amplas is Martinez, it is a play on his former character of Martin. Amplas, being gratious, has allowed Shelby the victory, but I say us fans must take to the streets and fight for what's right!

It might've been mentioned, but if I remember correctly, in the Anchor Bay edition of Martin: Romero and Amplas even have a little laugh talking about Martinez, calling him José and quoting his lines. I doubt George himself would've forgotten who played him.
I haven't seen DOTD yet, but I've seen an image of him. Seriously, is there any mistake? He has the same nose and bonestructure that John had. Oh well...

DubiousComforts
09-Apr-2009, 05:10 PM
I'll be there. Will Mr. Amplas have any snazzy color photos of Martinez available for signing? That's what I'm looking for.

Hey, and you'd better get your butt over to Gary Streiner's table to say 'hello' or Gary will come looking for you with his meat hook! :D

Yojimbo
09-Apr-2009, 05:29 PM
It might've been mentioned, but if I remember correctly, in the Anchor Bay edition of Martin: Romero and Amplas even have a little laugh talking about Martinez, calling him José and quoting his lines. I doubt George himself would've forgotten who played him.
I haven't seen DOTD yet, but I've seen an image of him. Seriously, is there any mistake? He has the same nose and bonestructure that John had. Oh well...
It was indeed mentioned in the commentary of DOTD78, but GAR and Savini did not seem to be totally sure about Ampalas being the Martinez character. There was some lively debate about this on the boards not too long ago, coupled with the mention of another character in that particular scene claiming to have been the Martinez character.

Gallows, if you like Ampalas, you should check out DOTD 78 for that scene on the rooftop featuring Ampalas as a gangster type, and also check out Day of the Dead (the romero version) since he has a role as a scientist in that film too. He is also in Knightriders, as one of the traveling group members.

gallowisgod
09-Apr-2009, 08:12 PM
It was indeed mentioned in the commentary of DOTD78
Ohhh. Though if you meant "indeed" as to my message, I was referring to the Martin commentary.

...but GAR and Savini did not seem to be totally sure about Ampalas being the Martinez character.
Ahh, I see. Them not being sure would probably give quite a lot to discuss for fans I guess. :/

Gallows, if you like Ampalas, you should check out DOTD 78 for that scene on the rooftop featuring Ampalas as a gangster type, and also check out Day of the Dead (the romero version) since he has a role as a scientist in that film too. He is also in Knightriders, as one of the traveling group members.

Yessums! I've seen Knightriders. I was a bit sad to see that Amplas didn't even have a line in it. Oh well... Atleast he had one closeup when he picked up the baby, haha. I'm slowly progressing. ;)

Trying to get a few of my friends to do a movienight with the whole "...Of The Dead" series, but no one seems too interested, hrmpf :P I can't seem to find the movies "No Pets" or "Midnight/Backwoods Massacre" with John Amplas though, which bothers me a bit... But I guess I'll survive.

Yojimbo
09-Apr-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words Yojimbo and Acesand Eights. Yes, John was definitely the Martinez character. However, Joe Shelby has been claiming to have played the character at convention appearances. I think this is just confusion on Shelby's part, not meaning to be underhanded at all. At first John was surprised when he found this out, but he decided not to make an issue of it and has just let it stay that way. To be frank, he does not really care. LOL
Thanks thxleo: Likely the only ones who would care about minutae such as this are zed-head freaks like me! But good to know all the same.

Ohhh. Though if you meant "indeed" as to my message, I was referring to the Martin commentary.

Sorry, I missed that in your post. It had been mentioned in the DOTD commentarytoo, so I had been referencing that and had missed that you had been referencing MARTIN instead.

Yeah, Ampalas' role in Knightriders was a bit small, but good job for having caught Knightriders, since there are a lot of folks who call themselves Hardcore Romero fans who have yet to have seen this one.

Do check out John in Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD (not the crappy remake but GAR's original) if you have not yet had a chance to do so since Ampalas has several lines of dialogue there.

MoonSylver
09-Apr-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah, Ampalas' role in Knightriders was a bit small, but good job for having caught Knightriders, since there are a lot of folks who call themselves Hardcore Romero fans who have yet to have seen this one.

*PFSSHT* That's an immediate turn in your membership card & banning offense IMO. Or at the very least a whack across the noggin' by Sir Morgan w/ the mace...;)

thxleo
10-Apr-2009, 01:57 AM
I'll be there. Will Mr. Amplas have any snazzy color photos of Martinez available for signing? That's what I'm looking for.

Hey, and you'd better get your butt over to Gary Streiner's table to say 'hello' or Gary will come looking for you with his meat hook! :D

Dubious,

Yes, John will have a color shot of his "greasy little Puerto Rican ass" from Dawn of the Dead. Axlish was nice enough to provide some help with photos - as did "The Greek" himself, Chris Stavrakis.
John also has a great portrait shot of himself from "Knightriders" that Tom Savini took, just a great photograph of John in his mime make-up(which John applied himself). He also has a personal behind the scenes shot from "Day of the Dead"(which interestingly enough, John feels he looked too young for the part) that he will have available. And my personal favorite is the rare comic book art from the Creepshow comic book prop of Dead Nate coming out of the grave. One photograph that I liked, that John didn't, was a behind the scenes still from "Dawn of the Dead" with John and Tom Savini. John's arm was used for the part where Ken Foree closes the sliding mall door on the zombie's hand and cuts it off. The photo shows Tom rigging John with a stump for the scene.

I'm actually very excited that Gary Streiner will be at the show. I enjoyed his documentary on Jerry Seinfeld, "Comedian", very much. I'll see you at the show!

gallowisgod
10-Apr-2009, 02:44 PM
John will have a color shot of his "greasy little Puerto Rican ass" from Dawn of the Dead. Axlish was nice enough to provide some help with photos - as did "The Greek" himself, Chris Stavrakis.
John also has a great portrait shot of himself from "Knightriders" that Tom Savini took, just a great photograph of John in his mime make-up(which John applied himself). He also has a personal behind the scenes shot from "Day of the Dead"(which interestingly enough, John feels he looked too young for the part) that he will have available. And my personal favorite is the rare comic book art from the Creepshow comic book prop of Dead Nate coming out of the grave. One photograph that I liked, that John didn't, was a behind the scenes still from "Dawn of the Dead" with John and Tom Savini. John's arm was used for the part where Ken Foree closes the sliding mall door on the zombie's hand and cuts it off. The photo shows Tom rigging John with a stump for the scene.

Now I'm even more jealous of you guys that are able to be there!

...I suppose no one would be able to buy a few prints for me and send them to Sweden? :(

thxleo
10-Apr-2009, 10:02 PM
Now I'm even more jealous of you guys that are able to be there!

...I suppose no one would be able to buy a few prints for me and send them to Sweden? :(

Gallowisgod,

Go ahead and private message me your information.

gallowisgod
10-Apr-2009, 10:18 PM
Gallowisgod,

Go ahead and private message me your information.

Thank you, I love you, and you have been PM'ed. <3

thxleo
11-Apr-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you, I love you, and you have been PM'ed. <3

No problem. John would be very flattered to know how much you enjoy his work.

DubiousComforts
14-Apr-2009, 09:13 PM
Dubious,

Yes, John will have a color shot of his "greasy little Puerto Rican ass" from Dawn of the Dead. Axlish was nice enough to provide some help with photos - as did "The Greek" himself, Chris Stavrakis.
Awesome, that's exactly what I am looking for. I'll definitely be spending some cash with Mr. Amplas.

Please tell me that you convinced him to have prints of the photo showing Savini rigging his tear-away arm in DAWN available at the show. Sounds incredible!

thxleo
15-Apr-2009, 01:03 AM
Please tell me that you convinced him to have prints of the photo showing Savini rigging his tear-away arm in DAWN available at the show. Sounds incredible!

Dubious,

Unfortunately no. However, if you mention it to him at the show it might help change his mind about it. John sometimes forgets that I'm a huge Romero nerd and that stuff that I think is cool, other fans will think is cool too. I had to twist his arm on a couple of pics to use at the conventions. LOL I got that photo from Chris Stavrakis actually. Chris has TONS of very rare "Dawn of the Dead" pics that he has collected over the years. He's picked up personal photos from his brother Taso, of course. He's also gotten stuff from Tom Savini's personal collection and from John Rice(SWAT suicide victim). His Mac is literally filled with tons of rare stuff that hardly anyone has ever seen, unfortunately.
See you this weekend!

DubiousComforts
20-Apr-2009, 03:19 PM
It was awesome to finally be able to meet John Amplas at the Chiller show this weekend. As is the case with most of the people involved in George Romero's films, Mr. Amplas is very accommodating and appreciative of his fans. He was happy to chat about his work, and seems to be truly astonished that such a fan base exists for these films.

Thanks to HPOTD's Thxleo for putting together Mr. Amplas' appearance at the show, and great work by Axlish and all involved for the spectacular array of photos that Mr. Amplas had for sale at his table (I got a Martinez!) There was a video loop playing at the table which I'm told Axlish put together, as well. All around, it was a very impressive display.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4645/amplas02.jpg

"Martinez" himself holding a photo of the Building 107 mastermind from Dawn of the Dead (sorry for the flash, I suck at photography).

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5554/amplas01.jpg

John Amplas at left, Thxleo at right and Thxleo's lovely girlfriend (whose name escapes me) at center. It was almost as awesome meeting Thxleo as it was the man who played Martin (but not quite!) :)

gallowisgod
20-Apr-2009, 04:23 PM
Thank you Dubios for the pictures! *o*
And yes, thank you Thxleo <3

Wish I could've been there! (...holy friggin' crap look at all those goregeous prints! *stares*)

DubiousComforts
20-Apr-2009, 04:49 PM
Wish I could've been there! (...holy friggin' crap look at all those goregeous prints! *stares*)
I prompted Mr. Amplas to put together a web site so that fans unable to attend these conventions would be able to contact him.

Yojimbo
20-Apr-2009, 06:08 PM
I am so jealous of you dudes that were able to attend the convention. Wish I could have gone, but finances and work schedules as they were would not allow my presence.

Glad to hear that Ampalas might be putting together a website to share his stuff with the fans - Good job, Dubious!

krakenslayer
20-Apr-2009, 06:17 PM
Whatever happened to Amplas's boyish good looks? Didn't he used to have cheekbones that could cut cheese? Well, I guess it comes to us all. I suppose, he actually looks pretty good for a man his age, it's just that I haven't seen his in anything since Day.

gallowisgod
20-Apr-2009, 08:41 PM
May I be annoying and ask what print it is beside Whiteface, behind the waterbottle? (if it is a print; it's smaller than all the others and I might be delusional, haha.)

krakenslayer: Well, that's the story of life I guess. You can't look young and pretty forever. (even if you try, like Janice Dickinson... *shudders*)
Actually, I've seen a picture of him from 2006, so compared to that one I think (being very biased in every statement I make, hah!) he looks great now! Especially for (as you said) a man his age.

DubiousComforts: That would be amazing, I really hope he does! Not that I'd dare to mail him though.

AcesandEights
20-Apr-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice info and pictures (the flash wasn't that bad, really), DC! Thanks for the share.

thxleo
20-Apr-2009, 11:18 PM
Thank you Dubios for the pictures! *o*
And yes, thank you Thxleo <3

I will get the pics out to you probably on Tuesday Malin. I hope you enjoy them.

It was almost as awesome meeting Thxleo as it was the man who played Martin (but not quite!) :)

Dubious,

It was great meeting you at the show as well!

gallowisgod
21-Apr-2009, 12:05 PM
I will get the pics out to you probably on Tuesday Malin. I hope you enjoy them.

I most certainly will! :D