PDA

View Full Version : Californians... So is Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger doing a good job?

Neil
06-Sep-2008, 03:09 PM
We don't hear much about him over here (in the UK)... Is he doing a good job?

MinionZombie
06-Sep-2008, 04:57 PM
Is he there to lead, not to read? :)

Danny
06-Sep-2008, 05:36 PM
according to his latest campaign "EETZ NAWT A TOOOMOR!?!";)

acealive1
06-Sep-2008, 06:29 PM
born and raised in cali. he's the best governor the state has had all political parties aside.

Neil
06-Sep-2008, 06:55 PM
born and raised in cali.
Uh? :confused:

Exatreides
06-Sep-2008, 07:05 PM
Think he means himself neil ;)

acealive1
06-Sep-2008, 07:40 PM
Think he means himself neil ;)

thanks homes. i see how much mods pay attention to our details here :(

Bub666
07-Sep-2008, 02:59 AM
Is he there to lead, not to read? :)

:lol::lol::lol:

Neil
07-Sep-2008, 07:07 AM
thanks homes. i see how much mods pay attention to our details here :(

Your comment read as a single sentence, therefore implying a place of birth etc for arni... Hence my confusion.

So you recon he's doing a good job. Is that the general opinion?

acealive1
07-Sep-2008, 07:18 AM
Your comment read as a single sentence, therefore implying a place of birth etc for arni... Hence my confusion.

So you recon he's doing a good job. Is that the general opinion?

yep. catchin flac cuz hes a republican,but he gets things done.

Dillinger
08-Sep-2008, 12:22 AM
I couldn't tell you, since I live in Missouri. But I will tell you that our governor isn't worth a pint of piss. Matt Blunt is so terrible, he's not even running for a second term. Now if we could just get his dad (Roy Blunt) to relinquish his post, Missouri would be a better place.

In fact, Missouri hasn't had a decent politician since Claiborne Fox Jackson. Harry did some nice things, but he was as crooked as a dog's hind leg. And don't even get me started on Carnahan, Ashcroft or the Blunts. Kit Bond is OK, but he's a mouthpiece for the Bush administration, and isn't his own man like a Missouri politician should be.

The Missouri of old was ran by independent minded yellow dog democrats. Now it's governed by a mixed bag of neo-cons and liberals, and the Show-Me state is suffering because of it.

But...

We're still the baddest state in the union. Yeah, you heard me right, Texas. A Missouri farmboy can still part a gnat's ass at 300 yards. Missouri bushwhackers were burning Kansas farms to the ground long before South Carolina even thought about seceding.

zombie04
08-Sep-2008, 01:28 AM
yep. catchin flac cuz hes a republican,but he gets things done.

That's what I hear from my grandfather, but my uncle's a bit of a partisan liberal so he'll never give Arnold a break. At least the man decided to skip the RNC to get the state budget done. My governor isn't worth a damn, but thankfully he'll be gone in months due to term limits.

Comrade775
08-Sep-2008, 01:30 AM
If you consider gutting the education budget a good thing, Arnold has done a fantastic job. He won on his celebrity and the only reason there's not more uproar about what a terrible governor he is is because most people pay way less attention to state-level politics than they do to national-level politics. A typical conversation in the voting line the day he was elected was "oh I love him, I've seen all his movies." And a similar rationale explains why there's no mob with pitchforks to oust him.

acealive1
08-Sep-2008, 01:51 AM
If you consider gutting the education budget a good thing, Arnold has done a fantastic job. He won on his celebrity and the only reason there's not more uproar about what a terrible governor he is is because most people pay way less attention to state-level politics than they do to national-level politics. A typical conversation in the voting line the day he was elected was "oh I love him, I've seen all his movies." And a similar rationale explains why there's no mob with pitchforks to oust him.

he's got the kennedy family behind him, he wont have a mob there to kill him. the reason hes a republican is because he isnt stupid. he wants to keep his money and i dont blame him. he's the most democratic republican i've ever seen.

also why would u care if he cut school budgets? they need a cut cuz people like me are working every day that own homes and have to foot the bill when they need more money for schools.

That's what I hear from my grandfather, but my uncle's a bit of a partisan liberal so he'll never give Arnold a break. At least the man decided to skip the RNC to get the state budget done. My governor isn't worth a damn, but thankfully he'll be gone in months due to term limits.

where are u from?

Comrade775
08-Sep-2008, 01:58 AM
he's got the kennedy family behind him, he wont have a mob there to kill him. the reason hes a republican is because he isnt stupid. he wants to keep his money and i dont blame him. he's the most democratic republican i've ever seen.

also why would u care if he cut school budgets? they need a cut cuz people like me are working every day that own homes and have to foot the bill when they need more money for schools.

where are u from?

Dude. What, have you had a slot reserved at an elite private prep school because of your dad's last name since birth or something?

I care about public schools because a) I went to them, b) I had my college fees hiked after Arnold got in while I was attending a public CA university, c) I live in a state where the people I rub shoulders with and live next door to and work with will have been educated in..... public schools. :)

If you think "taxes are too high, omg, we gotta stop paying for stuff like schools", we are pretty much as opposite as you can possibly get. Social contract and all that. If you think schools aren't a good thing to spend money on, and if you think you are OVERLY TAXED for schools, you're pretty uninformed. California is proportionately, LAST in terms of how many dollars it spends per student. It is the 50th state out of 50 states. It has been for awhile.

acealive1
08-Sep-2008, 02:10 AM
Dude. What, have you had a slot reserved at an elite private prep school because of your dad's last name since birth or something?

how about i went to public schools in south central los angeles and made do with what i had, lunch tickets and all.

zombie04
08-Sep-2008, 02:38 AM
where are u from?

North Carolina. As a Republican I can say Gov. Easley was a Democrat I supported because he was a supporter of education reform, but his 8 years in office have been rather disgraceful. He ran us from surplus to a hefty deficit, and it was recently discovered he had quite a vacation in Italy on the taxpayers dime. In addition to that my mom is a special education teacher with a masters degree and a good deal of work experience, and her pay has managed to go down while her assistants and funding has also been 'misplaced' by the school system. Overall it's just been a real disgrace.

Dillinger
08-Sep-2008, 11:54 PM
North Carolina. As a Republican I can say Gov. Easley was a Democrat I supported because he was a supporter of education reform, but his 8 years in office have been rather disgraceful. He ran us from surplus to a hefty deficit, and it was recently discovered he had quite a vacation in Italy on the taxpayers dime. In addition to that my mom is a special education teacher with a masters degree and a good deal of work experience, and her pay has managed to go down while her assistants and funding has also been 'misplaced' by the school system. Overall it's just been a real disgrace.

I read somewhere that a lot of software and video game developers are moving to North Carolina. It's called the Silicon Valley of the south or something like that. I wish we had more high tech jobs in Missouri. But then again, there are places here where indoor plumbing is considered "high tech."

acealive1
09-Sep-2008, 01:41 AM

my friend whos in the marines is stationed in NC

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2008, 02:10 AM
my mom is a special education teacher with a masters degree and a good deal of work experience, and her pay has managed to go down while her assistants and funding has also been 'misplaced' by the school system.

That's horrifying!

DjfunkmasterG
09-Sep-2008, 05:54 PM
Well living in MD, Arnie seems like a cool Gov, but some of my Cali friends don't seem to care for his brand of politics.

"EETZ NAWT A TOOOMOR!?!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yojimbo
09-Sep-2008, 07:42 PM
Personally, I think that Arnold is doing a good job. Yes, he has had some misteps here, specifically I think that he made a mistake in calling a special election which was a waste of time. But as far as him being a school budget killer or health care system enemy, folks need to bear in mind that the people attacking Arnold on these issues are the teacher's union and the Nurse's Union. The teachers do not like him because he refused to bow down to their demands and likewise the Nursing union as well. Both of those unions, BTW, are largely self serving, and their demands were veiled as being in the interests of education and patient care respectively, but in actuality had more to do with money.

It was mentioned, perhaps as proof that Schwarzenegger is lame, that the Los Angeles Unifed School District recently had an issue with their payroll system causing many teachers to not get paid for quite a while. This, of course, was not the fault of Schwarzenegger, but rather an example of how stupid the LAUSD administration is, and how inefficiently they operate. (For those of you who are on the west coast, it is possible to watch the Board of Education idiots meetings on television and I assure you that if you take the time to watch you will be surprised at how inane these folks are.)

So on one hand the LAUSD is stupid and inefficient. On the other hand you have a teacher's union which uses it's power for the welfare of the Teachers rather than as a champion for education. Then you have the nursing union which made simply ridiculous demands on the administration, requesting that they lower patient to staff ratios when in fact a similar request had already been implemented and not enough time had passed to allow auditors to make evaluations of improvementor the lack thereof to patient health care in the wake of the initial change.

IMO, Schwartenegger is doing exactly what he should do: protecting the citizens of his state from being dominated by special interest groups such as the aforementioned unions.

zombie04
10-Sep-2008, 02:20 AM
my friend whos in the marines is stationed in NC

that's kind of funny, because my brother in the marines is stationed in CA.

Publius
11-Sep-2008, 08:07 PM
If anything, Schwartzenegger's problem is that he didn't crack down on the special interests hard enough and tries too hard to be "bipartisan." So he let the legislature go hog-wild spending every cent of the unexpectedly large surplus the state had over the last few years, and now that the economic cylce is swinging the other way he's pushing the Republicans to agree with the Democrats to raise taxes. Given that California already has some of the highest sales taxes and income taxes in the country, it's hard to see how this will help the economic situation.

Oh yeah? Where at? I lived a couple miles from Pendleton until just a few months ago. Now I'm about 25 miles farther away.

acealive1
11-Sep-2008, 08:24 PM

:lol::lol:

weird. wouldnt be 29 palms,would it?

Yojimbo
13-Sep-2008, 01:03 AM
Oh yeah? Where at? I lived a couple miles from Pendleton until just a few months ago. Now I'm about 25 miles farther away.

Publius, my brother, I am also in Southern California. Nice to hear that there are other zombie freaks here and that I am not the only one.

Publius
13-Sep-2008, 01:14 AM
Publius, my brother, I am also in Southern California. Nice to hear that there are other zombie freaks here and that I am not the only one.

Noticed that. :) I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, but now live in Temecula (after some time in Oceanside, and various other places before that).