PDA

View Full Version : New War Of The Worlds news

capncnut
07-Sep-2008, 01:09 AM
A few updates regarding Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds.

Firstly, it seems that the promised CGI film has gone up in 'black' smoke! There has been no word in almost two years and you can pretty much regard it as a no-go for the forseeable future unfortunately. This is a bit of a bummer for me because I was hoping it would happen sooner rather than five years later, if it does happen that is.

Secondly, there is a new Flash game, which is accessible via the the official site (http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/). I have yet to play it but hey, all fans should love it. Check it out here (http://www.kerbgames.com/Play/?contentId=704).

Thirdly, a 30th anniversary tour has been announced for June 2009 onwards. Check out the following message by Jeff Wayne:

I am delighted to officially announce that in JUNE 2009 we are going back out on the road for the third time in 3 years!

In celebration of 30 years since the release of the original recording, The War of The Worlds will soon be announcing a special 30th Anniversary tour to play all the major Arenas in the UK before heading off to other territories.

I would never have believed that 30 years after the album's release, The War of The Worlds would be reaching more people than ever before, especially now in Live Entertainment!

In this special anniversary year, our team are working on developing exciting new ingredients and special effects to make the 2009 Tour the most exciting production yet!

You can now access the exclusive pre-sale of tickets from September 30th, 2008 only on this website. Any remaining tickets will go on General Sale on October 3rd.

So do please feel free to scroll down and register your email address with us so we can let you know about the exciting developments and offers over the coming months. If you want to register your mobile number with us we will send you a free text message to let you know when tickets go on sale.

We hope you will be part of the celebrations.

See you at the show!

Jeff

ULLLAAAA!!!

Tickets for the concerts are available at the official site (check above for link) a whole month before the go on sale officially. Grab 'em quick 'cos they be gone very soon!

SymphonicX
07-Sep-2008, 01:19 AM
exciting news...!!!! I love this album, the best concept album ever written....

capncnut
07-Sep-2008, 01:23 AM
Damn f**king straight, Symph. The record moves me more than most rock albums. I'm there in London, simple as.

Tricky!!! :D

Bub666
07-Sep-2008, 02:39 AM
Great news.

SymphonicX
07-Sep-2008, 02:58 AM
Damn f**king straight, Symph. The record moves me more than most rock albums. I'm there in London, simple as.

Tricky!!! :D

I'll make every effort to be there too....

"No one would've believed....."

capncnut
17-Sep-2008, 11:11 AM
Holy crapola, Jennifer Ellison (http://www.arrakeen.ch/idea/Jennifer%20Ellison150.jpg) is playing Beth this year!

The War of The Worlds Team are proud to announce that one of Britain's most exciting talents of Stage, Music & Screen, Jennifer Ellison, will be a Special Guest Star, playing Beth in the 2009 UK Arena Tour of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds.

The production marks the third UK arena tour in as many years and celebrates the 30th Anniversary of the release of Jeff Wayne's original double album.

Jennifer Ellison has starred in a variety of TV productions, including Brookside and The Commander, along with movies such as Phantom of the Opera. She's equally at home in the contemporary music scene with two Top Ten singles in the UK, as well as highly acclaimed performances on stage in recent West End productions of Chicago and Boeing Boeing.

Jennifer says, "Growing up as a little girl, I remember hearing Jeff Wayne's The War of The Worlds at home, and I am absolutely thrilled to now be taking part in this landmark 30th Anniversary Tour!!"

Jeff Wayne says, "Jen is a unique lady - multi-talented, beautiful and awesomely hard-working. Her range and depth of work continues to grow. I welcome her into next year's production of The War of The Worlds. Tickets for the hotly anticipated 2009 Arena Tour can be purchased as part of a SPECIAL FAN PRE-SALE from 30th September 2008, for just 72 hours."

Neil
17-Sep-2008, 12:52 PM

The DTS version of the album is one of the only DTS recordings I actually think sounds better than the original CD version!

Dillinger
17-Sep-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey! I caught the trailer of this last night on t.v.. To be honest, it didn't look too damn bad. But then again, it was just a one minute teaser.

Tricky
17-Sep-2008, 10:51 PM
Saw it live last year at sheffield arena & loved it,certainly wont pass up the opportunity to go again!my dad used to play the album for us when we were kids & ive always liked it :D

capncnut
19-Sep-2008, 06:46 PM
07 June 2009 - Dublin O2 Arena
10 June 2009 - Aberdeen AECC
11 June 2009 - Glasgow SECC
12 June 2009 - Newcastle Metro Radio Arena
13 June 2009 - Manchester Men Arena
14 June 2009 - Liverpool Arena
16 June 2009 - Sheffield Hallam FM Arena
17 June 2009 - Nottingham Arena
19 June 2009 - Birmingham NIA
20 June 2009 - London O2 Arena
22 June 2009 - Bournemouth BIC
24 June 2009 - Cardiff CIA
27 June 2009 - Brighton Centre
30 June 2009 - Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, Holland

Tricky
20-Sep-2008, 07:52 AM
I quite fancy the amsterdam one actually!i could hop on the pride of rotterdam in hull straight after work & make a short holiday of it! :cool:

SymphonicX
20-Sep-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey maybe we should all go to 'Dam to see this....

Neil
20-Sep-2008, 10:52 AM
Saw it live last year at sheffield arena & loved it,certainly wont pass up the opportunity to go again!my dad used to play the album for us when we were kids & ive always liked it :D

What actually is in the performance then? ie: What happens?

Tricky
20-Sep-2008, 01:33 PM

This is what you can expect
eCitzGY2aag
Its awesome to see,and theres a hell of a lot of talented musicians on that stage :)

capncnut
20-Sep-2008, 02:32 PM
They got a CGI head of Richard Burton in his youth narrating the story as he does on the album. Also, a panoramic cinema screen plays out all the scenes, which are essentially CGI animations of the inlay book concept art but with real actors. You have two bands playing alongside each other (with most of the album's actual musicians - Chris Spedding, Herbie Flowers, etc), practically hitting every note bang on as Jeff Wayne conducts them both from the front. Justin Hayward and Chris Thompson reprise their roles from the album with many new faces too. For example Jennifer Ellison has just been added to the cast and Alexis James absolutely crucifies David Essex's Artilleryman IMO.

The fighting machine model is probably the highlight though. The way it interacts with the audience during the intermission is classic. You should go Neil, I reckon you'd love it proper.

capncnut
14-Nov-2009, 04:26 PM
Well as much as it pains me to say, I think Jeff Wayne might be scraping the barrel this year. Jason Donovan as The Artilleryman? Liz McClarnon as Beth? Justin Hayward the only original to return so far?

I think I'll pass. :(

Tricky
14-Nov-2009, 06:13 PM
Its almost 2 years since I went to see it now,absolutely amazing stageshow & orchestra! Cant imagine why he's got donovan doing it though,washed up former druggy soapstar who isnt even english!(seen as the artillery man is english in the story,aussie accent doesnt really fit)