PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 (video game)

CornishCorpse
07-Sep-2008, 11:52 PM
What ze heck guys? I thought a haven of apocolayptic fun like hpotd would have something to say about this. Anyone? I cant wait for this, this looks to be one of the games that is going to keep me inside for a long long long while. Described as Oblivion without the wizards swords and magic. Anyone fancy playing a more deep version of mad max? Hunting down mutants or anyone that you think is giving you the evil eye or being " the sheriff?" This looks to me like a brighter more indepth stalker..

Description:

Vault-Tec engineers have worked around the clock on an interactive reproduction of Wasteland life for you to enjoy from the comfort of your own vault. Included is an expansive world, unique combat, shockingly realistic visuals, tons of player choice, and an incredible cast of dynamic characters. Every minute is a fight for survival against the terrors of the outside world – radiation, Super Mutants, and hostile mutated creatures. From Vault-Tec, America’s First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation.

Story:

Vault 101 – Jewel of the Wastes. For 200 years, Vault 101 has faithfully served the surviving residents of Washington DC and its environs, now known as the Capital Wasteland. Though the global atomic war of 2077 left the US all but destroyed, the residents of Vault 101 enjoy a life free from the constant stress of the outside world. Giant Insects, Raiders, Slavers, and yes, even Super Mutants are all no match for superior Vault-Tec engineering. Yet one fateful morning, you awake to find that your father has defied the Overseer and left the comfort and security afforded by Vault 101 for reasons unknown. Leaving the only home you’ve ever known, you emerge from the Vault into the harsh Wasteland sun to search for your father, and the truth.

Key Features:

Limitless Freedom! – Take in the sights and sounds of the vast Capital Wasteland! See the great monuments of the United States lying in post-apocalyptic ruin! You make the choices that define you and change the world. Just keep an eye on your Rad Meter!

Experience S.P.E.C.I.A.L.! – Vault-Tec engineers bring you the latest in human ability simulation – the SPECIAL Character System! Utilizing new breakthroughs in points-based ability representation, SPECIAL affords unlimited customization of your character. Also included are dozens of unique skills and perks to choose from, each with a dazzling variety of effects!

Fantastic New Views! – The wizards at Vault-Tec have done it again! No longer constrained to just one view, experience the world from 1st or 3rd person perspective. Customize your view with the touch of a button!

The Power of Choice! – Feeling like a dastardly villain today, or a Good Samaritan? Pick a side or walk the line, as every situation can be dealt with in many different ways. Talk out your problems in a civilized fashion, or just flash your Plasma Rifle.

Blast ‘Em Away With V.A.T.S.! – Even the odds in combat with the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System for your Pip-Boy Model 3000! V.A.T.S. allows you to pause time in combat, target specific body parts on your target, queue up attacks, and let Vault-Tec take out your aggression for you. Rain death and destruction in an all-new cinematic presentation.

Mind-Blowing Artificial Intelligence! – At Vault-Tec, we realize that the key to reviving civilization after a global nuclear war is people. Our best minds pooled their efforts to produce an advanced version of Radiant AI, America’s First Choice in Human Interaction Simulation. Facial expressions, gestures, unique dialog, and lifelike behavior are brought together with stunning results by the latest in Vault-Tec technology.

Eye-Popping Prettiness!* – Witness the harsh realities of nuclear fallout rendered like never before in modern super-deluxe HD graphics. From the barren Wasteland, to the danger-filled offices and metro tunnels of DC, to the hideous rotten flesh of a mutant’s face.

Official Site

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/home.php?fbid=BvirG1

Check the gameplay videos, if link doesnt work mods fix please? and if theres another fallout thread delete this one.

Danny
08-Sep-2008, 12:11 AM
i dont think anyone mentioned it because, like left 4 dead, its a must buy.

CornishCorpse
08-Sep-2008, 12:14 AM
Lol Touche sir! Well just incase anyone missed it.

Danny
08-Sep-2008, 12:25 AM
well what can you see happeneing except:

"dude you see that sweet fallout 3 trailer?"

"i know, that game looks sweet!"

and vice versas and so ons till it opens a black hole with its pull.

CoinReturn
08-Sep-2008, 02:14 AM
The 5 gameplay videos recently released on Xbox Live look truly amazing. What's more fun that detonating a nuke?

Danny
08-Sep-2008, 08:12 AM
The 5 gameplay videos recently released on Xbox Live look truly amazing. What's more fun that detonating a nuke?

putting a grenade in a hobos pocket while they sleep?

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2008, 10:09 AM
:elol:

I too saw those recent vids, it looks like a rate tasty game alright.

I think I'll get it, I've been wrestling with which game to get in the Oct/Nov time zone, there's so many to choose from!

Saints Row 2
Gears of War 2
Fallout 3
Call of Duty 5

And then there's also Mercenaries 2...but I've just ordered Battlefield: Bad Company, as I've been meaning to play that for ages so I figured I'd better catch up.

Setting off that nuke in one of those vids was awesome though, I wonder if you're able to go back to that shanty town where the bomb was located afterwards?

Also, apparently you can trundle all the way to the centre of Washington DC and see the Capitol building or whatever it's called, you know, the really famous one you always see on telly. :D I wonder how long the trek to that would be?

Bub666
08-Sep-2008, 11:47 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2008, 11:59 AM
Anybody have any clue how big the "world" is going to be? I'd like to know if it could take you over an hour to walk from one side to the other, like in Oblivion.

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2008, 12:56 PM
:elol:

I too saw those recent vids, it looks like a rate tasty game alright.

I think I'll get it, I've been wrestling with which game to get in the Oct/Nov time zone, there's so many to choose from!

Saints Row 2
Gears of War 2
Fallout 3
Call of Duty 5

And then there's also Mercenaries 2...but I've just ordered Battlefield: Bad Company, as I've been meaning to play that for ages so I figured I'd better catch up.

Setting off that nuke in one of those vids was awesome though, I wonder if you're able to go back to that shanty town where the bomb was located afterwards?

Also, apparently you can trundle all the way to the centre of Washington DC and see the Capitol building or whatever it's called, you know, the really famous one you always see on telly. :D I wonder how long the trek to that would be?

HA....and you'll f**king LOVE saints row 2 compared to GTA4....I'm storing up all my "i told you sos" for you...hahahaha :D

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2008, 01:15 PM
HA....and you'll f**king LOVE saints row 2 compared to GTA4....I'm storing up all my "i told you sos" for you...hahahaha :D
Er, nope.

I'll enjoy playing SR2, like I did with SR1, but I'm completely turned off by all that wigga, gang-banging thug wanky bollocks they insist on putting in. I've already played San Andreas, in 2005, I don't need any more of that mocksta (mock gangsta) bullpoo thank you very much.

GTA IV had thugs and mobsters, but they were interesting characters in themselves, Rockstar can do characterisation quite well...whereas I didn't give a single bollocks about any of the characters in SR1, nor anything to do with the story, it was just an excuse to have a bit of fun and await GTA IV to be honest.

I'll enjoy SR2, but it doesn't have the heart or soul or story or characterisation of GTA, and that's my view on that issue, so there we are.

I'll get GOW2 and Fallout 3 before I get SR2 as well probably, even though I currently have it pre-ordered, but I'll probably cancel that pre-order in favour of Fallout 3 at this rate.

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah i'm not holding up any hope for the story or characters....I just want a game that I can have a laugh with....something to do....all the stuff which makes games fun outside of story, character development, and asthetics....it's only a matter of time before you'll be wearing a purple gang colour....hahaha

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2008, 01:24 PM
That is one downside I freely admit with GTA IV, the lack of post-completion fun to be had outside of sprees, shooting birds you randomly happen across, and doing stunt jumps.

But GTA IV was still a superb game in my opinion, and with about 100 hours officially clocked in it so far, I think that's proof enough of my devotion to it. Hopefully the next GTA will take the awesomeness and scope of GTA IV, but amp up the random fun quota - which can still fit within the "realism" aesthetic and the "drama", because such fun is ultimately a choice and doesn't impinge on the storyline.

With the freedom of a free-roaming world, you've gotta have that variety, which will be something I enjoy with SR2, it's just all that gangsta crap we have to put up with YET AGAIN. :mad:

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2008, 01:30 PM
100 hours? That's pretty impressive...you must've loved it...!

And yeah I agree with the points about the next GTA, it can ONLY get better....

And yeah man, that's one of my gripes with a lot of city based free roam games, they are so hip hop....it's really annoying....and SR, no matter how playable, played up to that stuff so badly, it was just shameful...and the attempt at humour? Gimmie a break! GTA has the best writing staff and they put SR to shame with just one radio based joke, compared to hours worth on SR that weren't even worth laughing about..."Freckle Bitches, you can't beat our meat!"....yeah.....stolen from some internet joke emails. Terrible.

Still, that's why I ripped music to my HD....:D

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2008, 01:33 PM
I thought this thread was about Fallout 3? :confused:

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2008, 02:16 PM
sorry!! fallout 3 = must rent!! :P

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2008, 03:11 PM
lol, sowee...you know how things get off course easily when it comes to discussion.

With me having to wait until GSC get off their bum-bums and properly patch STALKER:CS to decent working order (it works, but runs a bit meh, and I've got minimal graphics when I can run HL2 Episode 2 looking beautiful), then I might just go for Fallout 3 as my next pre-order purchase to get my nuclear-based apocalyptic freak on.

Seriously, GSC need to get off their arses and learn how to code an efficient game, as much as I love the STALKER franchise, they're f*cking useless at coding, particularly coding for efficiency and wide-compatibility. :(

JasonEdw
10-Sep-2008, 04:28 AM
i know this is about Fallout 3, but...
Fallout 2 is my favorite PC game EVER! Heck, Sulik was a better friend to me than a lot of real-life people! Now that was a down-ass mother****er, man! He would just run through somebody's door and obliterate somebody with his grease gun, with no questions asked!

MikePizzoff
18-Sep-2008, 01:13 AM
I just looked up the achievements for this game and they seem great. Seems like just about all achievements won't be damn-near-impossible to get, yet will be fun obtaining at the same time.

Danny
18-Sep-2008, 01:39 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

dude im quite serious, one gameplay vid showed them putting a live grenade in a drunk hobos pocket and they then stood back as she patted herself down for it till she exploded in a cloud of "matter"

Bub666
18-Sep-2008, 03:06 AM
dude im quite serious, one gameplay vid showed them putting a live grenade in a drunk hobos pocket and they then stood back as she patted herself down for it till she exploded in a cloud of "matter"

I got to play this game,it sounds freaking hilarious.

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2008, 10:21 AM
You mean the drunk bloke at the gates of Tenpenny Tower? ... that was a dude, dude. :D

Funny as fook though. Some sort of Prankster achievement I believe, I'll deffo be doing that when I get the chance. :D

Danny
18-Sep-2008, 10:36 AM
nope ive seen it in a couple and its a woman, they even mentioned it in the feature in the official magazine 2 or 3 issues back.

MinionZombie
18-Sep-2008, 10:40 AM
nope ive seen it in a couple and its a woman, they even mentioned it in the feature in the official magazine 2 or 3 issues back.
Oh ... right ... guess you weren't high then.

*snaps fingers* :)

MikePizzoff
28-Oct-2008, 10:23 PM
One of the best games I've ever played, so far. Completely fncking incredible.

Bub666
29-Oct-2008, 03:04 AM
I just got this game today,and it is awesome.:D

Danny
29-Oct-2008, 03:14 AM
anyone know if you get to visit any of those crazy experiment vaults in the game?

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2008, 06:43 PM
anyone know if you get to visit any of those crazy experiment vaults in the game?

I have no clue. I've probably already put in about 7 hours and have only done one storyline missions... the rest I've just been getting to know people and doing small side-quests for cash (bottle caps).

Word of advice: be extremely careful traveling! There have been a couple times that groups of raiders actually ambushed me! Some stayed hidden (in bushes, on raised highways, in busted buildings) and others snuck around me to attack from the back. Once a guy had a freakin flamethrower so I was kinda screwed.

This game has gotten my heart pounding a bunch of times already. Like when I was raiding a supermarket for food/medicine and it turned out there was a ton of renegades inside, keeping guard of the supplies they had. It can be pretty suspenseful.

Another thing I've found particularly awesome/entertaining: I've been walking out in the wasteland a couple of times and start to hear tons of gunfire, so I take cover in fear for my life. But when I peek out, it ends up that it's either two people having a show-down or a group of hunters chasing a wild beast for food (they turned out to be real friendly).

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2008, 06:56 PM
It certainly sounds and looks like a kick ass game, and I'll will deffo pick it up sometime soon.

MikePizzoff
29-Oct-2008, 11:27 PM
Wow, this game just keeps getting better. I spent over an hour exploring an abandoned elementary school that raiders took over.

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2008, 11:00 AM
Ah mate, I really want this now, but want it for PC ... which means I have to wait till I get my new one, gah!

LoSTBoY
02-Nov-2008, 01:44 PM
MZ you are going to love this if you think Stalker was a good game :)

Makes Oblivion look like a sandbox.

The perks are funny too, as well as perks giving stats there are some like 'lady killer' which gives you unique chat options as well as 10% Bonus on killing women. :evil:

I've been to about 20 areas in the south east of the map, considering the size there must be over 100 more to visit:D

What makes this my fave game at the moment....you can kill absolutely anybody, you could wipe out the whole wasteland if you had a mind to :hyper:

Asploding head ftw!!!

MikePizzoff
02-Nov-2008, 04:29 PM
What makes this my fave game at the moment....you can kill absolutely anybody, you could wipe out the whole wasteland if you had a mind to :hyper:

Asploding head ftw!!!

I've been wondering... do the NPC's respawn after you kill them? Like even the ones randomly encountered in the middle of nowhere in the wasteland? So far I have re-visited anywhere I've been (nor have I really kept mental note of where I've been killing raiders).

EvilNed
02-Nov-2008, 04:47 PM
Makes Oblivion look like a sandbox.

Wait a minute... Considering Oblivion WAS a sandbox, isn't that bad?

MikePizzoff
02-Nov-2008, 04:49 PM

I think he meant as in... makes Oblivion look like childs play.

MinionZombie
02-Nov-2008, 06:14 PM
I figured this would be right up my street. Before I play it though, I'll catch up on Clear Sky (which is still sitting unplayed, because my current rig just couldn't play it, thus making a mockery from their claim that 'if you could play STALKER, this will run the same or better' - bollocks I say).

Anyway, I'll catch up on that first, then I'll go all Fallout 3 ... and then there's COD5, GOW2, and still Rainbow Six Vegas 2, hehe...oh and Crysis, Crysis Warhead, FEAR 1 (and the two expansions), FEAR 2 ... *gasps* ... bloody nora!

Cody
03-Nov-2008, 02:53 AM
Oh :(

what do I get? fall 3, dead space or monopoly???!

oh and minion, you dont have a 360? not to give you a hard time or anything, but I hate playing games on my computer

LoSTBoY
03-Nov-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh :(

what do I get? fall 3, dead space or monopoly???!

oh and minion, you dont have a 360? not to give you a hard time or anything, but I hate playing games on my computer

Get Fallout 3, I have Dead Space which is a good game but you will get more out of the former.

Was referring to a playground sandbox rather than the program term.

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2008, 09:51 AM
Nah I was just talking about what games I'll get for PC when I get my new rig. I do have a 360, got it in 2007, but again it's not rigged up to the net for similar reasons ... I think I mentioned them earlier in the thread.

I think there's some games I'd prefer to play on PC, and some on 360, and some I could go either way. I've certainly gotten much more used to the control pad way of playing shooters - BUT - PC's mouse+keyboard is still the absolute king at shooter games, my accuracy is far higher on PC. But let's not get into that again, that was a topic here a while ago and it just went on and on and on. :D

AcesandEights
03-Nov-2008, 05:32 PM
This is lookin' kinda hot, but I may just wait for to hit PC.

MinionZombie
03-Nov-2008, 05:45 PM
This is lookin' kinda hot, but I may just wait for to hit PC.
Erm, I thought it already was out for PC. :rockbrow:

AcesandEights
03-Nov-2008, 06:31 PM
Erm, I thought it already was out for PC. :rockbrow:

Really?

*Doesa quick google search*

I had no clue! The only games that've been on my radar the last year have been E:TW, HOI3 and WotLK.

EvilNed
03-Nov-2008, 08:30 PM
I ordered it. Should be here tomorrow.

I sat with my friend and watched him play the intro and venture into the wastes.

Let me say this, while it doesn't look as grim and harsh (atmosphere wise) as STALKER just yet, it might just be the best damn game ever.

MikePizzoff
03-Nov-2008, 09:09 PM
[POSSIBLE SPOILER]

Anybody else find the pet dog (Dogmeat) yet? I can't stand him and just leave him at home. Whenever I try to walk anywhere with him, he pretty much always runs off to attack things and gets himself killed.

3,000TH POST!!!

Eyebiter
04-Nov-2008, 03:33 PM
Bought Fallout 3 on launch day still haven't gotten it to run on my system. Bring up the menu, click on play game and it immediately crashes to the desktop. At this point don't buy if you have a laptop or any computer with an integrated Intel graphics card. There are some bugs with older ATI video cards as well. Until the PC gets an official patch or two you would be better off getting the console version. Checking the PC support forum, most of the unofficial fixes are either ineffective. A few have turned out to be infected with a trojan or virus. Bethsoft technical support really dropped the ball on this one.

EvilNed
05-Nov-2008, 02:32 AM
[POSSIBLE SPOILER]

Anybody else find the pet dog (Dogmeat) yet? I can't stand him and just leave him at home. Whenever I try to walk anywhere with him, he pretty much always runs off to attack things and gets himself killed.

3,000TH POST!!!

I love him. He can take on hordes of bandits in my game.

SymphonicX
09-Nov-2008, 09:39 AM
Argh. Why did I buy this game? I bloody hate RPGS...I just got bored...OK it looks great but where's the bloody action? Walk here, talk to this person, deliver letter, walk back....argh...boring as hell....still waiting for this game to be fun but I never get enough time to play it so it's hard to follow it through, so all I seem to do is turn on the xbox, start the game, deliver letter, walk back across the map, save it, turn off...start again later...crap.

MinionZombie
09-Nov-2008, 10:29 AM
Argh. Why did I buy this game? I bloody hate RPGS...I just got bored...OK it looks great but where's the bloody action? Walk here, talk to this person, deliver letter, walk back....argh...boring as hell....still waiting for this game to be fun but I never get enough time to play it so it's hard to follow it through, so all I seem to do is turn on the xbox, start the game, deliver letter, walk back across the map, save it, turn off...start again later...crap.
I think part of the point in RPGs is time-investment, it's not a genre geared towards short stints unfortunately.

SymphonicX
09-Nov-2008, 11:04 AM
I think part of the point in RPGs is time-investment, it's not a genre geared towards short stints unfortunately.

yeah I just have to find the time and effort to go through it...I kinda prefer my games fast and furious...last RPG I played was Fable 1....and that wasn't indepth enough to really lose yourself in...this game feels so huge, it's daunting...

Bring on left 4 dead! haha

Andy
09-Nov-2008, 02:32 PM
Im pretty much with symphonic on this one, i bought fallout 3 after hearing nothing but good about it, but im really struggling to get into it.. it feels too hard right at the beginning aswell, my personal gripe, like almost the first quest you have to do is go to the radio station place, but i keep getting killed every fight i come across.. your weapons do virtually nothing to enemies, most of which are grossly overpowered and your health recovery is seriously and unfairly flawed, most health products dont recover **** and the ones which do are very few and far between.

Sorry guys but im finding this game very difficult to get into, maybe im missing something or ive bypassed something?

SymphonicX
09-Nov-2008, 03:04 PM
Christ I haven't even got to the radio station bit...lol

Danny
09-Nov-2008, 03:16 PM
im at 14 hours in and ive just done the radio station biit, but i found his dad a different way so ive already encountered super mutants adn the enclave and the brotherhood of steel and whatnot and yeah, i had to turn down the difficulty in the options as it does take the piss a little bit.

plus its glitchy, i had to escort a main character out fo a series of tunnels and she stopped in the second area and wouldn't move, so i had to reset and lose an hours worth of gameplay.:mad:

22 hours in, i finished it and im not happy.

i started getting into the swing of things oblivion style and decided to continue with the plot missions, 3 hours later and a grand total of an ABSOLUTELY EPIC 17 total missions, 8 of which being the plot.

sure thats short but why am i pissed?

because after its done. its done. nothing like oblivion were you can play the game afterwards and experience the changes you've made, you get 60 seconds of ron pearlmans epic voiceover adn thats it, finito, the last autosave is the boss and my last save was 3 hours ago and 8 levels back. so i think im trading this bitch in for gears 2.:mad:

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2008, 09:53 AM
But then again, there's a variety of games like that that are free-roam, but have a definite length to the story and that's it - such as STALKER. You finish the story, you finish the game, it's not GTA.

Does sound a bit short, but it's probably an issue of the amount of data you can squeeze onto a disc - with the world being so huge, that'll limit the amount of missions - it was the same thing with COD4, with all the epic set pieces and levels, they had to sacrifice some length.

I'll be looking to get this for PC, cos they'll patch the arse out of it I'm sure. :)

You always seem to be unhappy with games, Dead Space was a let down for you, now Fallout 3 has you all pissed off, I dare not think what you'll say about Gears of War 2. :p

SymphonicX
10-Nov-2008, 10:56 AM
can anyone tell me how to get Moriarty to tell me about my "dad"? I did his mission and now he wants caps for it but I only have about 100...There's nowhere to sell my stuff either, anyone help?

Danny
10-Nov-2008, 05:31 PM
I dare not think what you'll say about Gears of War 2. :p

id say its this gens metal gear solid of action shooters, no load times, just a momentary fade to black, great levels, fantastic sound, better plot and voice acting than the last and it just feels like this is what halo 3 should have been.

yes, i love it that much. -DUN-DUN-DUNNN!!!!

Tricky
10-Nov-2008, 05:33 PM

Ive not played fallout but i know where your coming from,i like a bit less chit chat & a bit more action in my games!i like a good plot,but i get very bored when you have to get through hours of largely pointless conversations with NPC's in a game.The only RPG i ever truly loved was final fantasy 7!
Far cry 2 almost borders on RPG as far as chatting to characters goes & the huge game world,but its only done in a very basic way & the bulk of the game is tearing around in jeeps,blowing stuff up,setting fire to things & shooting at folk.I dont know how people have the patience with the majority of RPG's to be honest!

MinionZombie
10-Nov-2008, 05:54 PM
Ah so you've already gotten your mits on GOW2 then eh?

And you love it?!?!

Dear boy ... when did I last read those words from your fingertips? :stunned:

MikePizzoff
10-Nov-2008, 06:27 PM
turn on the xbox, start the game, deliver letter, walk back across the map, save it, turn off...start again later...crap.

You can fast travel, using your map, if you don't feel like walking.

Im pretty much with symphonic on this one, i bought fallout 3 after hearing nothing but good about it, but im really struggling to get into it.. it feels too hard right at the beginning aswell, my personal gripe, like almost the first quest you have to do is go to the radio station place, but i keep getting killed every fight i come across.. your weapons do virtually nothing to enemies, most of which are grossly overpowered and your health recovery is seriously and unfairly flawed, most health products dont recover **** and the ones which do are very few and far between.

Sorry guys but im finding this game very difficult to get into, maybe im missing something or ive bypassed something?

Andy, don't jump right into it. That's the beauty of this game. You don't HAVE to follow the story line. Talk to other people, do other side-quests. Level up a bunch. I didn't go to GNR Radio until I was like a level 10 and by that point Super Mutants are actually really FUN to fight.

Since Hells says there's nothing to do once you're done the story, I think I'm going to hurry up and finish it so I can trade it in while it's still worth a decent amount of money (and get Left 4 Dead).

Danny
10-Nov-2008, 06:34 PM
to be honest i think that after the freedom of choice offered by mass effect fallout just pales in comparison in every way but the exploration element, sure me had long load times, but it never crashed on me, losing hours of my life.

MikePizzoff
10-Nov-2008, 08:04 PM
Actually, after looking at your achievements I'm seeing that you didn't do a TON of quests, so I guess I'm not going to try to hurry up and finish the game. I plan on doing every quest possible, so I'd say I've got at least 30-40 more hours of life to put into the game.

Andy
10-Nov-2008, 10:20 PM
You can fast travel, using your map, if you don't feel like walking.

Andy, don't jump right into it. That's the beauty of this game. You don't HAVE to follow the story line. Talk to other people, do other side-quests. Level up a bunch. I didn't go to GNR Radio until I was like a level 10 and by that point Super Mutants are actually really FUN to fight.

Since Hells says there's nothing to do once you're done the story, I think I'm going to hurry up and finish it so I can trade it in while it's still worth a decent amount of money (and get Left 4 Dead).
I Actually really enjoy RPG's when their done right, i absolutly love mass effect and still play it now, same with fable 2, im really enjoyin that an getting into it.

But sorry guys i just cant get into fallout..

Neil
11-Nov-2008, 11:47 AM
I Actually really enjoy RPG's when their done right, i absolutly love mass effect and still play it now, same with fable 2, im really enjoyin that an getting into it.

But sorry guys i just cant get into fallout..

That's funny... I'm finding Mass Effect a real chore! Go here, do that... Go there, shoot them...

What are you not enjoying about Fallout 3?

LoSTBoY
12-Nov-2008, 03:05 PM
I was annoyed with how short the main story line was, could have stretched it out about twice as long with the number of areas.

Altough completed I'm gonna go back to an earlier save as one of the perks I saw for level 18 (I think) was explorer, which unlocks all the areas on the map.

Therefore I will still have hours of fun checking out the areas I missed. :hyper:

Oh, and those of you who have not used their V.A.T.S yet are missing out! when you have an enemy in sight press 'v' and like in the old Fallout games you can pick what areas to shoot with a percentage of how successful you will be hitting it. I said it before and I say it again, Head Asplode FTW!!

The more you know: Dogmeat and the Fallout games were influenced by the film 'A Boy and his Dog' which can be watched here. (http://www.archive.org/details/A_Boy_and_His_Dog)

I watched a bit of it and it is certainly weird, just the kind of weird I bet most of us like. ;)

Neil
12-Nov-2008, 03:24 PM
I was annoyed with how short the main story line was, could have stretched it out about twice as long with the number of areas.
How long did it take you to complete it?

lewis
12-Nov-2008, 04:13 PM
Not bein funny but if you're finding fallout amazingly hard you're either not using V.A.T.S or you are genuinely **** at games. The games far from immensely hard, albeit if you're new to the series it might seem a bit daunting cause of the scale but its far from a hard game.

darth los
12-Nov-2008, 04:30 PM
It sucks when there's a type of game that you love, in this case oblivion for me, and you would like to have the experience again but they just won't make another one. Fallout 3 is very similar to oblivion and that's probably the only reason i'll play it.

By the reviews on this board it sounds like a rent to me.

:cool:

LoSTBoY
12-Nov-2008, 04:43 PM
How long did it take you to complete it?

Not too sure, I think I may have skipped a bit of it.

When you get the quest to go to the radio station I didn't bother and began to wander. I ended up in Rivet City and picked up the main quest line for there, which closed the radio station quest.

From there I'd say it was about 3-5 hours worth, depending on the speed you do it in.

darth los
12-Nov-2008, 04:50 PM
That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard of. All quests should remain active until you finish them. That's not open ended play at all. You're being forced into a linear progression.

:cool:

MikePizzoff
12-Nov-2008, 05:31 PM
That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard of. All quests should remain active until you finish them. That's not open ended play at all. You're being forced into a linear progression.

Huh? I think you misunderstood him. It IS completely open-ended. In fact, there are multiple ways you can finish quests, and that's why his quest happened to end when he went and did some things at a different location than he was supposed to be at.

EvilNed
12-Nov-2008, 05:32 PM
Bull****. Nobodys forced anyone on me YET. This game is totally non-linear.

So far, I dare say it's the best damn RPG I've had the pleasure of playing since... Well... I can't even remember!

LoSTBoY
13-Nov-2008, 03:29 PM
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. All quests should remain active until you finish them. That's not open ended play at all. You're being forced into a linear progression.

The previous quest was to get information on your Dad, the one I picked up gave me a quest for the location of said Dad so the previous quest was immaterial and therefore not required.

I still got the XP/Achievement from it though.

Cody
13-Nov-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm getting this game instead of Dead Space.

Oblivions main quest was shooooort. Although Oblivion was awesome, I'm excited to play a modern (kinda futurestic time set) RPG.

Final Fantasy 3/6 and Chrono Trigger are the best damn RPGs ever made though. Yeah I said it.

ProfessorChaos
22-Dec-2008, 06:15 AM
received a gift card to best buy with all kinds of moolah on it, so i picked up south park season 11 and fallout 3. they should both be here on the 24th, so i'll be delving into an apocalyptic funland in a couple of days.

MinionZombie
22-Dec-2008, 09:29 AM
received a gift card to best buy with all kinds of moolah on it, so i picked up south park season 11 and fallout 3. they should both be here on the 24th, so i'll be delving into an apocalyptic funland in a couple of days.
Good stuff, Sir.

I wanna get my mits into Fallout 3 sometime soon, but I'll be planning on doing so on the PC - however that's not gonna be here now until the beginning of January. :(

In the meantime though, I've got my fingies crossed for Gears of War 2.

LoSTBoY
22-Dec-2008, 12:56 PM

I unlocked that achievement, I planted a frag mine on the old Granny near the docks. :evil:

I would normally play the good guy but its so damn funny. :lol:

MikePizzoff
22-Dec-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't get how I've seen so many people say they were finished the game in a ridiculously short amount of time? Obviously they don't know how to play these types of games.

I'm past the 30-hour mark and I know for a fact the game isn't anywhere near done. I'm still running into tons of quests and there is probably still 1/2 of the map that I haven't truly discovered.

Cody
23-Dec-2008, 01:51 AM
I gots 90 hours :) DAMN PROUD!!!

I think im also the head on thus board for achievments on this game

ProfessorChaos
23-Dec-2008, 02:54 AM
just ordered my copy last night, and today when i got home from work i had an email notifying me that it's already on its way, so i'm pretty effin pumped right now. should be here by wednesday....so until then i'll be watching my new dvds which i've gotten lately (TDK, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood)

but yeah....i'm pretty excited about this game. been a while since i've gotten really into an RPG (unless you count Castlevania:Symphony of the Night), but this looks like one i can get cozy with this winter.:)

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2008, 10:26 AM
just ordered my copy last night, and today when i got home from work i had an email notifying me that it's already on its way, so i'm pretty effin pumped right now. should be here by wednesday....so until then i'll be watching my new dvds which i've gotten lately (TDK, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood)

but yeah....i'm pretty excited about this game. been a while since i've gotten really into an RPG (unless you count Castlevania:Symphony of the Night), but this looks like one i can get cozy with this winter.:)
I know, I don't get it either - not that I've played Fallout 3 yet, but I certainly plan on getting it.

People saying they bashed through it in a few hours just sounds like bullsh*t to me, or clearly they didn't bother investing any effort or time into it whatsoever, and just ignored an absolute shedload of stuff in the game.

Ironically, these sort of people probably moan about games being too short. :rolleyes:

SymphonicX
23-Dec-2008, 11:20 AM
I know, I don't get it either - not that I've played Fallout 3 yet, but I certainly plan on getting it.

People saying they bashed through it in a few hours just sounds like bullsh*t to me, or clearly they didn't bother investing any effort or time into it whatsoever, and just ignored an absolute shedload of stuff in the game.

Ironically, these sort of people probably moan about games being too short. :rolleyes:

Basically it IS short if you follow one story strand and don't explore...there's much more to the game but if you just stick to one line of quests you can complete in about 13 hours....beware of that, explore and take your time!

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2008, 11:45 AM
Basically it IS short if you follow one story strand and don't explore...there's much more to the game but if you just stick to one line of quests you can complete in about 13 hours....beware of that, explore and take your time!
Which is exactly what I did with STALKER:SoC. I did the main story, but did a bunch of side tasks and such, and most importantly - had a right good gawp around the landscape. It took me about 2 or 3 weeks to finish the game's story.

I then went back and replayed it two or three more times ... now though, onwards to STALKER: Clear Sky - woo! (Well, after I've done Crysis and Gears of War 2 that is).

Danny
23-Dec-2008, 11:46 AM
aaand gaming elitism rears its ugly head. i think the only one were missing is "well your complaining because you didnt understand it like i do":rolleyes:

we say its short because were are on about the main storyine which is REALLY short, there are 10 locations out of 200 that are relevant to the plot. theres lots more to discover but if you didnt it is real short.

thats not to say its too bad but they should have made it longer for the main questline.

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2008, 11:55 AM
Well it's not really elitist of me to say what I've said regardless, but if it is, then surely it's just as elitist for you to moan about the short main storyline.

Although perhaps it was designed more for the side tasks to take more precedence, to inspire more exploration, rather than just barge the main story, even if the main story could have been longer.

So if I'm elitist, then you're covered in jaded juice. :lol::p

:)

mista_mo
23-Dec-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd rather see Baldurs Gate 3 then Oblivion with guns.

Shame RPGs just aren't as good anymore.

lewis
23-Dec-2008, 01:42 PM
I gots 90 hours :) DAMN PROUD!!!

I think im also the head on thus board for achievments on this game

how much you got off of it?

ProfessorChaos
23-Dec-2008, 05:23 PM
my copy was sitting on my doorstep when i came home earlier, so i'll be rocking out tonight on that and probably devote most of my free time over the next couple of days off from work to doing loads of exploring.

would like to play right now, but have got to be off to visit my mother, who is having surgery today. sucks cuz the roads are super icy here and the hospital is like an hour away...and my mother is in the hospital over the next couple of days.

MinionZombie
23-Dec-2008, 05:55 PM
my copy was sitting on my doorstep when i came home earlier, so i'll be rocking out tonight on that and probably devote most of my free time over the next couple of days off from work to doing loads of exploring.

would like to play right now, but have got to be off to visit my mother, who is having surgery today. sucks cuz the roads are super icy here and the hospital is like an hour away...and my mother is in the hospital over the next couple of days.
Well all the best to your Mum, and drive carefully, Sir. :)

And then have a good time getting into Fallout 3, I myself will be having my own gaming orgy over the next few days, but not on Fallout 3 (yet).

ProfessorChaos
23-Dec-2008, 11:54 PM
thanks, mz. she's doing fine, the surgery went well. sucks that she had to have it so close to christmas, but with one of my brothers and his wife expecting a baby and my other brother's wedding both occurring next month, she wants to be all healed up and whatnot by the middle of january. she's gonna have to stay at the hospital a couple of days, but should be back home by week's end.

and the roads are clear now, so now it's time to get my smoke on and submerge myself into a nuclear wasteland.:cool:

oh and enjoy your gaming orgy, mz.

will post some impressions of fallout 3 over the next couple of days.

ProfessorChaos
25-Dec-2008, 06:28 PM
well, i was really enjoying this game until i experienced the glitch where the right analog stick freezes and you can't look around. very frustrating and i can't seem to find a fix or solution. so i guess i gotta load up my earlier save, which is pretty inconvenient.

very fun and interesting game other than that. i really dug the tutorial. i spent several minutes picking up toys out of the toybox and throwing them at my father. my character right now is a thieving bully with a gun fixation.:D

Yojimbo
03-Jan-2009, 12:18 AM
Just wanted to weigh in and say that Fallout rules the open sandbox genre. Having a lot of fun and very little of it has been part of a mission string. A couple of "jump out of your skin" moments when I come around a corner and get surprised by a big mutant, or one of those creepy centaurs.

Especially dig the targeting feature: Eyes melt, skin explodes, everybody dead!

ProfessorChaos
03-Jan-2009, 01:17 AM
yes, this game is spectacular. there's been so many awesome moments that have blown me away. here's a couple of my faves:

i see a super-mutant from across the potomac and fire a few round at him with "ol' painless". he begins to fire back, then turns to his left and begins shooting in that direction as he is running backwards. i scan over and catch my first glimpse of a deathclaw in action. the deathclaw was weakened by the super mutant, but ended up victorious. i then finished him off with a missile from the riverbank.

another great time was when i first discovered the remains of the u.s. capital building and did some exploring inside. upon exiting, i was ambushed by regulators (for my character is a true misfit, evil to the bone) who wanted to kill me. finished them off and was then caught in the cross-fire of a raging battle between super mutant brutes and talon company mercenaries. popped all kinds of uppers and pills, my stealth boy camouflaging system, and jumped in the middle, killing every member of both factions. the scene was epic...it was like 12 monkeys meets predator meets rambo.

mz, if you've not played this yet, you're missing out, brother.

MinionZombie
03-Jan-2009, 09:52 AM
mz, if you've not played this yet, you're missing out, brother.

Believe me, I plan on getting my mits on it once I've gotten STALKER: Clear Sky and Crysis done and dusted.

Just finished Gears of War 2 last night, which was f*cking awesome.

I look forward to playing Fallout 3 sometime soon.

Tricky
03-Jan-2009, 11:25 AM
I read that stalker clear sky is a bit bab MZ!i never got really immersed in the first one either!i bought it back in march & ive put a good few hours into it,but as much as i loved the games setting,the dumb AI & some of the pointless missions stopped me getting fully into it,i still havent finished it!theres one part where you have to find some stash & after you have it you emerge in some military compound,all i did was hide behind a door in one of the buildings with the shotgun & kept shooting everyone as they mindlessly wandered through the door,ended up about 30 corpses piled up in the doorway,ridiculously dumb!Another bit was near the beginning where some heavily armed guy asks you to go & get a stash thats lost near a boars nest,i was expecting it to be miles away & highly dangerous,when in fact it was about 100 yards outside the village & there was 2 boars near it,so why couldnt that lazy arse with his machine gun (as opposed to my crappy pistol at that point) have gone to get it??!
I think i expect too much from my games these days :lol:

MinionZombie
03-Jan-2009, 01:46 PM
STALKER wasn't the best game for stability or being finely tuned to be honest.

But those that loved it (like me), saw beyond the crashes and the instability and so on, and enjoyed the world in which it all took place ... and I pretty much ignored many of the quests as they got old fast (go here - fetch that/kill this - come back).

I haven't even gotten beyond the little camp outisde the building you begin in, in Clear Sky, so I haven't even had the chance to see if I'll like it as much as Shadow of Chernobyl or not ... we'll see, eh?

Next game I'll play will be Crysis, as I'll bash through that fairly quick probably, whereas STALKER is more of a game I ponder over.

Tricky
03-Jan-2009, 02:23 PM
have you got the rig sorted out now then chief?no more freezes?:)

MinionZombie
04-Jan-2009, 12:19 PM
have you got the rig sorted out now then chief?no more freezes?:)
Not yet, gotta wait until Tuesday when the shop opens before I can get in contact with them - although I've already sent an email so they'll get that before I give them a ring to say "oi, sort this out, yeah?" :p

At the moment I'm just breathing through my mouth and trying to make the inside of my head have the same pressure as the world on the outside ... oh and getting the sweats too...a sucky cold, indeed. :lol:

Dtothe3
05-Jan-2009, 04:21 PM
Personal "Brain Process" of the game so far:-

(Bear in mind I first played as a melee specialist)

"What's that? Super Mutant Behemoth? What a pussy, he doesn't look so hard... Least he won't once I put my sledgehammer betw..."

That's about as far as I got :( I started over with an Energy Weapon Specialisation.

As I consider myself somewhat organised, I have a list of weapons I try to adhere to when I go out questing/hunting. Any advice to improve my game would be well taken :)

Chinese Assault Rifle/Combat Shotgun
Sniper Rifle
Hunting Rifle
Laser Pistol
3 x Frags
3 x Mines

5 x stimpacks
all my drugs

I try to stick to the shotgun or AR when inside, nothing like long narrow corridors. When outside I try to scout with the sniper, then pick my shots using the hunting rifle.

I'm quite content to let enemies come to me, and I try to pick my slow-mo shots so I can always back off and throw a quick grenade if it means killing more then one enemy. Having said that I've not had the opportunity to fight mutants en masse with these tactics. In my first save, I had a tendency to get my arm ripped off and shoved up my... Well the less said about that the better >.>

I have Farcry 2, Assassins Creed and Beautiful Katamari, yet I think Fallout 3 will ensure these don't get properly played for a while. This game is immense.

ProfessorChaos
05-Jan-2009, 09:33 PM
yeah, my dude is a gunslinger from hell. all sorts of weapons, and he sure knows how to use 'em. i employ similar tactics (with regards to indoor/outdoor engagement of hostiles).

another thing i use a bunch of is fragmentation mines. with the "bloody mess" perk, you can see some pretty awesome fatalities.

and yes, every other game i've been playing has been moved to the back burner for the immediate future. can't wait for the DLC to hit..

CoinReturn
09-Jan-2009, 09:56 PM
Finally got around to picking this up for 360 today, can't wait to dig in.

Yojimbo
11-Jan-2009, 10:02 PM
[POSSIBLE SPOILER]

3,000TH POST!!!
Can either Mike or someone please hip me to where I can find Dogmeat, the pet dog? I read about the dog on the thread, but have not yet run into him, and sure could use the company while I am out on my long, lonely walks across the wasteland.

Please PM me if revealing this ends up being too "spoilerish"

Cody
11-Jan-2009, 10:17 PM
Whos excited about the DLC Operation Anchorage? meee :D

CoinReturn
13-Jan-2009, 06:57 PM
Operation Anchorage sounds great and I'll be picking it up, but I'm really excited for The Pitt. From the Fallout 3 wiki:

Journey to the industrial raider town called The Pitt, located in the remains of Pittsburgh. Choose your side. Scheduled for release in February. It will cost 800 Microsoft points.($10 US)

C'mon Bethesda, give us a Romero homage or two!

This game is amazing, by the way. I'm kicking myself for not picking it up back in October.

CornishCorpse
15-Jan-2009, 01:44 AM
Damn Im on PS3 so I miss out on all the DLC fun which is a bitch but theres plenty to entertain me yet. Only recently grasped this whole "doing quests" thing, since I got out of the vault have just been wandering around and there has never been a time when I ran out of something to do. Nothing like grabbing youre hunting rifle climbing to the top of a hill and seeing the shape of a building and making that shape todays objective.

Here are some of the moments that show why I love fallout and no spoilers, all details are just small random things that in the scale of fallout are nothing. Everytime I play some random thing happens, PM for an example.

Wandering through this wastes and this guy jumps out from behind a rock and yells " Stop where you stand or Ill shoot! Give me all you got!" the rule of the wastes being someone shoots at you, you shoot back I tell him to go frigg himself. He laughs and says that maybe Im better at him than this, he doesnt even have a real gun and then starts to run away. Should I take pity on the poor guy down on his luck or take it as offence? Crippled the little bugger with two rounds to the kneecap and went on my way.

Thing about a proper RPG is you can develop a character not in the GTA way where you can get the best clothes and the best weapons ( although you can ) in the karma system. Do you want to be a good guy a bad guy or just living youre life? Anyway was wandering around as usual, got attacked underground by a group of runners. Picking them off easily enough, five to start with then hear the stairway go to see four more running towards me. Start backing away while emptying an assault rifle blowing limbs off at the oncoming hoard. Manage to get out of the doors reloading only to hear " Well look who it is, goody mr two shoes" before hearing the sound of buckshot hit the wall next to me. God damn Mercs :lol:

Finally desperate times come from desperate measures. After a long hard battle, I had no money and no health to heal up with and not enough money to buy either thanks to spending all my money on health and ammo ( playing it on hard so stocking up is always useful ). I had enough for a few clips of a pistol so I was screwed. Nearly dead, nearly out of ammo and stuck in the middle of nowhere. So I see this light in the distance so head towards it and its this old man with his brahmin ( cow purty much ) and his dog sitting by the fire. So I walk over talk to him about selling, I couldnt afford a thing even if I sold all my gear. Two rounds to the side of his head, put the dog down and the brahmin. Looted everything from the trader and headed off fully healed, slightly richer and with a decent amount of ammo. Sometimes you gotta make these choices.

I love this game.

Danny
21-Jan-2009, 02:06 AM
anyone else found the alien crash site for "recon craft theta"? and got the alien ray gun?

ProfessorChaos
21-Jan-2009, 02:46 AM
no, not yet....you mean there's aliens in this game, too? out-fucking-standing!

*adds "find alien stuff" to massive to-do-list for fallout 3*

my dude is such a bad mofo. last night i got ambushed by about half a dozen enclave soldiers and officers. they even had a deathclaw locked up in a cage and sent it after me. luckily, my "shishkabob" sword and combat shotgun made a big bloody mess out of all of 'em.

watching news highlights of todays big circus in d.c. made me wanna go do some exploring of the national mall.

Danny
21-Jan-2009, 03:02 AM
no, not yet....you mean there's aliens in this game, too? out-fucking-standing!

*adds "find alien stuff" to massive to-do-list for fallout 3*

my dude is such a bad mofo. last night i got ambushed by about half a dozen enclave soldiers and officers. they even had a deathclaw locked up in a cage and sent it after me. luckily, my "shishkabob" sword and combat shotgun made a big bloody mess out of all of 'em.

watching news highlights of todays big circus in d.c. made me wanna go do some exploring of the national mall.

just one, northwest of minefield youll spot a pylon thats been bent at a severe angle, the hillside below it adn house are in ruins and you pick up its signal.

-and just ran into a random woman called "roach king" dressed like a bug with a minigun and loads of radscorpions in a rocket shaped throne in the wastes.

wierd.

Eyebiter
21-Jan-2009, 03:56 AM
Whos excited about the DLC Operation Anchorage? meee :D

With all the media hype around paid Fallout 3 downloadable content...

too bad Bethsoft doesn't put that much effort into patching the damn game.

CoinReturn
21-Jan-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been forging weapons lately, I've done the Deathclaw Gauntlet, Shishkebab and Bottlecap Mine so far.

Haven't gotten the alien gun yet, but I did get a great plasma rifle by promising an android that I wouldn't tell his master of his whereabouts. I did end up ratting him out though, and got a combat boost for it. I love how much freedom the game gives you to do the quests however you'd like.

Less than a week to go till Operation Anchorage!

Danny
21-Jan-2009, 03:59 PM
I've been forging weapons lately, I've done the Deathclaw Gauntlet, Shishkebab and Bottlecap Mine so far.

Haven't gotten the alien gun yet, but I did get a great plasma rifle by promising an android that I wouldn't tell his master of his whereabouts. I did end up ratting him out though, and got a combat boost for it. I love how much freedom the game gives you to do the quests however you'd like.

Less than a week to go till Operation Anchorage!

im more excited about the next one in the city that wasnt hit by the bombs.

CoinReturn
21-Jan-2009, 04:04 PM
Which one is that? "The Pitt" is the remains of Pittsburgh, and "Broken Steel" extends the ending of the game and raises the level cap to 30, but keeps you in the wasteland. I haven't heard of an non-bombed section, though that would be awesome.

Edit: ahh, I found some info:

During the latest interview with Bethesda, they claimed that Pittsburgh was not hit directly by an atomic bomb, but the surrounding water still became radiated, making the people change in bad ways.

Coooool.

Danny
21-Jan-2009, 04:56 PM
Which one is that? "The Pitt" is the remains of Pittsburgh, and "Broken Steel" extends the ending of the game and raises the level cap to 30, but keeps you in the wasteland. I haven't heard of an non-bombed section, though that would be awesome.

Edit: ahh, I found some info:

Coooool.

i expect its gonna be more bioshock like, maybe with the cars and buildings more intact but the people more mutated.

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2009, 06:25 PM
i expect its gonna be more bioshock like, maybe with the cars and buildings more intact but the people more mutated.
I'm gonna have to get my ass into Fallout 3 with the sound of all this awesomeness. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Danny
21-Jan-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm gonna have to get my ass into Fallout 3 with the sound of all this awesomeness. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

thats becuase gaming wise your 18 months behind the rest of us.

i hear the ps3 isnt doing so hot in your time?

did you know obama wins the election?:p

MinionZombie
21-Jan-2009, 09:17 PM
thats becuase gaming wise your 18 months behind the rest of us.

i hear the ps3 isnt doing so hot in your time?

did you know obama wins the election?:p
Cheeky bugger - it's because I was behind the curve anyway, and I've been playing catch-up ever since getting my Xbox360.

But I'm up-to-date at the same time on many other titles, or close-thereafter.

There's just too many games, and with so much cash fleeing from my wallet over the past couple of months, you've gotta pull the strings in, you know.

I will get Fallout 3 though - it's even got a God Mode console command! :D

Oh yeah, and even extinct volcanoes that farted out of existence millennia ago know about "Obamarama". :p

Cody
23-Jan-2009, 04:54 PM
All I've been playing lately is fallout 3. shits intense. maybe "the pitts" will be a romero homage? I mean think abut it, it could be full of feral ghouls.

slickwilly13
24-Jan-2009, 03:18 PM
I rented it yesterday. It looks like a game that someone could spend many hours on. It takes a while to level up, though.

AcesandEights
24-Jan-2009, 03:27 PM
It looks like a game that someone could spend many hours on.

That's what they say around the water cooler these days.

ProfessorChaos
25-Jan-2009, 04:39 PM
DLC drops in two days, and they've added four new achievements worth 100pts total to the achievements list. now i've gotta head out and pick up some ms points.

slickwilly13
25-Jan-2009, 06:07 PM
I may have to buy this or at least convince my friend in letting me borrow his. He is not playing it right now.

CoinReturn
25-Jan-2009, 08:46 PM
I may have to buy this or at least convince my friend in letting me borrow his. He is not playing it right now.
I feel Fallout 3 is one of the few games this generation that's genuinely worth $60, plus you've got DLC coming out each month till March (the final one extending the level cap to 30). You can't go wrong if you buy it.

Cody
25-Jan-2009, 09:57 PM
We're down to hours now for Anchorage!!

CoinReturn
27-Jan-2009, 02:15 PM
It's up! Here's the Xbox.com page to purchase and add to your 360 download queue if you won't be home to play for a while:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802425307d5/?of=3

ProfessorChaos
01-Feb-2009, 02:57 AM
wow, i figured at least one person would post some tidbits about the DLC by now. i've had it downloaded for a couple of days, but have been working close to 12 hr. days (work for an electric company and the winter storms have got things all fucked up in my area), so i've not had a chance to check it out...till right now. so, if you'll excuse me....

Cody
03-Feb-2009, 04:09 AM
I got it the night it came out at 1am lol. I forgot to post about it though.. OK SO...

SPOILERS

I liked it. I like the weopons you get after the simulation! The stealth suit by far is the best, auto infinite stealth boy upon crouch infin

CoinReturn
03-Feb-2009, 01:26 PM
The Gauss Rifle kicks ass, it makes it way easier to take down Deathclaws now that you can knock them down. Overall the DLC was more action-oriented, and a bit more linear than I'd expected, but still pretty fun. Can't wait for The Pitt and Broken Steel!

slickwilly13
03-Feb-2009, 03:20 PM
Has anyone beaten this game, yet? How long is it? I have only covered maybe half the map. Btw, I made a Freddy-like glove from a Deathclaw hand. I bought a science theme, medic lab, and workbench for my house. One of my favorite weapons to use is the laser rifle I won for helping the android. It turns people in green goo sometimes. I clear out a ghoul hideout with a flamethrower. Another cool weapon. I am thinking about buying the game, before Streetfighter 4 comes out. But I am at level 15, I think. Would it be worth paying $60 if I am this far into it? How much more is left to do besides DLC?

Danny
03-Feb-2009, 03:31 PM
i finished about 90% and im at 40+ hours, all ive got left is to find a few more places in the middle bottom and upper right and kill 2 more behemoths.

-oh, and 7 more bobbleheads.

overall i favour the alien blaster, the tesla enclave armour and "fisto!" when i just want to punch a deathclaw through a car.:cool:

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2009, 12:39 AM
finally chased down all those neutral karma achievements, so now i've got all 72 for the entire game.

and for my next trick, i'm going on a rampage, murdering and pillaging and looting the shit out of megaton before i head out to tenpenny tower to nuke what's left of crappy little megaton.

can't wait to hear what ol' three dog's gonna have to say about all that.:evil:

EvilNed
01-Dec-2009, 04:47 AM
Why do people never give Megaton some love? :(

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2009, 05:12 AM
i've had the game a full year and haven't hit the switch yet, so to celebrate getting all the achievements, i figured "why not go on a killing spree and murder most of the town and then vaporize the place at sunset?"

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2009, 10:27 AM
Why do people never give Megaton some love? :(

I did and do ... I did make another save point to specifically blow it up, just to see what it was like, but then reverted to my super awesome positive karma status and continued helping the place out, fixing their pipe leaks and such. Got my own gaff there too, defused the bomb and everything.

i've had the game a full year and haven't hit the switch yet, so to celebrate getting all the achievements, i figured "why not go on a killing spree and murder most of the town and then vaporize the place at sunset?"

:lol: You evil bugger.

Mr. Clean
15-Sep-2012, 06:14 AM
Well, Trying to save money and so I fired up ole' Fallout 3 again for my 4th run.

The first time I played years ago....I played good and struggled my ass for caps the whole game until about level 15.

My second play through...I played evil and had more caps than I knew what to do with from almost the very beginning....

Don't really recall my third playthrough...Just remember my character was Female....

Well, Now I'm going back for a forth time. I never got to play all the expansions with Megaton around because I didn't hold onto my first character before they came out. and I must say, it's still almost as much fun as it was the first time around. I remembered a few tricks that made things 100x easier to be good this time around.

EvilNed
15-Sep-2012, 09:20 AM
It still is fun. I have a character up I play now and then. I still haven't explored all of Fallout 3.

However, I did prefer New Vegas.

AcesandEights
15-Sep-2012, 03:31 PM
Man, one of my fav current gen games, especially for the exploration/rpg angle, and it's nice to play a game that supports stealth and exploration,but doesn't skimp on the action. I do love New Vegas, though--some great mechanical improvements.

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2012, 04:29 PM
Man, one of my fav current gen games, especially for the exploration/rpg angle, and it's nice to play a game that supports stealth and exploration,but doesn't skimp on the action. I do love New Vegas, though--some great mechanical improvements.

I've been meaning to get around to New Vegas at some point. I really enjoyed Fallout 3 (although I only got about a third of the way into a replay - as an evil bastard - before I got fed up, to be honest) ... got well over 100 hours out of FO3 though, and then did Brotherhood of Steel, and Point Lookout.

Danny
15-Sep-2012, 05:53 PM
i actually rebought new vegas last month now theresa collectors edition on amazon for like £15 that includes all the dlc. unfortunately most were a bit shit, albeit it was nice to visit areas more untouched by the nukes with some normal greenery around. On the hole though the dlc for new vegas is kinda crappy compared to the likes of point lookout or the pit. the worst in my opinion was the whole 'lol art deco retro scifi' brains in jars one that i just couldnt enjoy.

capncnut
18-Jan-2013, 09:38 PM
i actually rebought new vegas last month now theresa collectors edition on amazon for like £15 that includes all the dlc. unfortunately most were a bit shit, albeit it was nice to visit areas more untouched by the nukes with some normal greenery around. On the hole though the dlc for new vegas is kinda crappy compared to the likes of point lookout or the pit. the worst in my opinion was the whole 'lol art deco retro scifi' brains in jars one that i just couldnt enjoy.
FNV is a total pisstake. I only got five hours in before chucking in the towel. When a game like Fallout invites you in and you become used to it, it's a total deal-breaker for me when they change up the system. Sodas no longer restore health, comics no longer add skill points, enemies act differently, highly increased skill level, etc. What is it with Obsidian? They did the exact same thing with Knights of the Old Republic II...

But Fallout 3 is a stunner. Not long completed the whole game with all goals and dlc in the bag, all locations looted, and it's taken me over 200 hours gameplay time. And yeah, The Pitt and Point Lookout are masterpieces.

shootemindehead
19-Jan-2013, 07:33 AM
I liked New Vegas, but yeh, 'Fallout 3' was a better game.

I've just finished the 'Lonesome Road' DLC and to be honest, it wasn't really worth the bother.

But, I am looking forward to 'Fallout 4', which I hear is set in Boston.

Overall though, I love these free roaming, true "sandbox" games. You can really get your teeth into them.

EvilNed
19-Jan-2013, 08:51 AM
I thought New Vegas was a better game. I preferred the world around New Vegas to that of the Capital Wasteland.

ProfessorChaos
19-Jan-2013, 02:39 PM
i put nearly 200 hours into fallout 3 and had a blast...mothership zeta kinda burned me out, but by that time i had done most every other quest and was ready for a break from the game.

new vegas is okay, but it feels pretty much the same and i can only handle so much of it at once. i recently just erased my #1 save with over 75 hours due to a bug related to the "ED-E my love" quest fucking up my ability to play the honest hearts DLC. incredibly frustrating. so, the next time i play the game (which could be soon, or may be several months down the road), i'm going to have to start from the very damn beginning again.

new vegas seems to have quite a few more game-breaking bugs than fallout 3 did....both are notorious for that sort of thing, though. i guess it's a buyer-beware type situation.

Neil
19-Jan-2013, 08:42 PM
I dare not play games like this... Such time sponges...

EvilNed
20-Jan-2013, 02:13 PM
new vegas is okay, but it feels pretty much the same and i can only handle so much of it at once.

Maybe, but the plot was better, the world was more interesting and more alive and there seemed like there was more stuff to do.

Also, the reason I loved NV was that the plot itself actually continued on from where we left it in Fallout 2, unlike Fallout 3...