PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight to be re-released

DjfunkmasterG
11-Sep-2008, 09:57 AM
In a bid for garner the film an Oscar, TDK will be re-released in January, Delaying any DVD or Blu-Ray release in the near furture.

The Dark Knight To Be Re-released For Oscar Bid
10 September 2008 11:58 PM, PDT

From WENN on IMDB

Executives at Warner Bros. studios are re-releasing The Dark Knight next year in a bid to win the Batman movie an Academy Award.

Bosses at the studio are planning to restore the Christian Bale-starring blockbuster to several U.S. Imax venues in January to coincide with Oscar voting season.

It is currently uncertain if the film will reappear in regular theatres as well.

A studio insider tells the Hollywood Reporter, "It's just a matter of bringing it back as a reminder for people."

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2008, 10:12 AM
Delay the DVD?!!???!?!?!?!?!!!

They'd better f*ckin' NOT do that! :mad::mad:

That's like getting a great blowie, and then getting punched in the nuts on the way out. :eek:

Guaranteed if that's the case, there'll be petitions from angry fans demanding their DVDs, it's also especially stupid considering the Xmas season, surely having it in cinemas in January is just a technicality or some wank, and I'm sure plenty would go again just to see it on a big screen.

Chic Freak
11-Sep-2008, 11:58 AM
NOOO!!!

That DVD was going on my Christmas wish list :(

Bub666
11-Sep-2008, 12:01 PM
I will be so mad if they delay the release of the dvd.

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think they'll delay the dvd release. They can release the dvd in December and still show the film in IMAX. It will make a wad of cash either way. TDK is the biggest selling IMAX film ever, so I don't think they'll have any problem selling seats.

And this is a perfect opportunity for people that didn't get to see it in Imax. If you only saw it in a regular theater, you're missing some awesome sh*t. The Imax scenes are truly breath taking. Just the opening shot of the city skyline zooming in to the breaking window made me grab on to my chair and say "WWOOAOOAAAHHH" outloud. It's incredible.

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 12:51 PM
"It's just a matter of bringing it back as a reminder for people."

Oh for ****'s sake.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Sep-2008, 01:02 PM
I bet they are trying to take down Titanic.

Danny
11-Sep-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh for ****'s sake.

i quite agree, i saw it once, had multiple opportunities to see it again for free and haven't, its a good movie sure, but do i think im ever going to rush out to see it again?, no i can honestly say i dont think ill ever want to, its not bad, its just one of those were once is enough yknow?

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 01:07 PM
i quite agree, i saw it once, had multiple opportunities to see it again for free and haven't, its a good movie sure, but do i think im ever going to rush out to see it again?, no i can honestly say i dont think ill ever want to, its not bad, its just one of those were once is enough yknow?

I just feel that if Ledger wasn't dead, we wouldn't even have this to talk about in a thread. It's typical overblown bull**** hollywood....

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 01:12 PM
I just feel that if Ledger wasn't dead, we wouldn't even have this to talk about in a thread. It's typical overblown bull**** hollywood....

Oh come on, dude. He did a great job with the role and the film is good regardless of his death. His death has nothing to do with this. Did any of WB's marketing for the film mention anything about Heath and his death? No. In fact, in the trailers and tv spots, it's never mentioned who plays Joker or Dent. I guess Gladiator did good because of Oliver Reed's passing too, huh?

This doesn't have anything to do with Ledger's passing. I guarantee that if he were still alive, this film would still be in the same spot it's in now. The best of the year...

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2008, 01:46 PM
This is good news for me, because I didn't even see it.

Wait, I just checked a nearby theatre's website and they're still showing it FIVE TIMES a day. That's more than a lot of the newly released movies. Perhaps I will get to see it on this run...

Neil
11-Sep-2008, 02:09 PM
Delay the DVD?!!???!?!?!?!?!!!

They'd better f*ckin' NOT do that! :mad::mad:

That's like getting a great blowie, and then getting punched in the nuts on the way out. :eek:

Guaranteed if that's the case, there'll be petitions from angry fans demanding their DVDs, it's also especially stupid considering the Xmas season, surely having it in cinemas in January is just a technicality or some wank, and I'm sure plenty would go again just to see it on a big screen.

Don't worry mate, you can put your order in right now at play.com if you want... http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/655399/Dark-Knight/Product.html?source=5001&kwmid=2928356&kmcid=1655075731 (for the 3 disc version!)

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 02:14 PM
Oh come on, dude. He did a great job with the role and the film is good regardless of his death. His death has nothing to do with this. Did any of WB's marketing for the film mention anything about Heath and his death? No. In fact, in the trailers and tv spots, it's never mentioned who plays Joker or Dent. I guess Gladiator did good because of Oliver Reed's passing too, huh?

This doesn't have anything to do with Ledger's passing. I guarantee that if he were still alive, this film would still be in the same spot it's in now. The best of the year...

hmmm, i disagree. I think it's been a huge part of the promotional drive for this movie - it doesn't need to be in the actual promotional material, it's been banded all over the media since the film was in post after Ledger's death. Sorry to be cynical, but it's an overblown, over-long and choppy movie!! Same thing happened with The Crow, pretty much...that was infamous not for being a good movie, but because Lee died during shooting.

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 02:24 PM
Obviously it's your opinion if you dislike the film, but branding it a sucess just because of Ledger's death is...well...pathetic, tbh. No doubt some morons saw it just because of Ledger and they had no interest in Batman, but you think those people alone account for the 900+(and counting) million that it's made? I think not. If they account for anything it would be a like...a million at most. So obviously it stands on it's own feet as a generally liked film regardless of the two deaths associated with it.

Batman Begins and Chris Nolan were the biggest factors. Although BB didn't blow away the box office, it gained a great following over the years and everyone was waiting for the follow up.

And I disagree with your opinion on The Crow. When I first saw it, I knew nothing of Lee's death and still thought it was a cool film. Still do.

Bub666
11-Sep-2008, 02:36 PM
And I disagree with your opinion on The Crow. When I first saw it, I knew nothing of Lee's death and still thought it was a cool film. Still do.

I agree.I didn't know about Lee's death until after I watched the movie,and I still liked the movie

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 03:01 PM
Obviously it's your opinion if you dislike the film, but branding it a sucess just because of Ledger's death is...well...pathetic, tbh. No doubt some morons saw it just because of Ledger and they had no interest in Batman, but you think those people alone account for the 900+(and counting) million that it's made? I think not. If they account for anything it would be a like...a million at most. So obviously it stands on it's own feet as a generally liked film regardless of the two deaths associated with it.

Batman Begins and Chris Nolan were the biggest factors. Although BB didn't blow away the box office, it gained a great following over the years and everyone was waiting for the follow up.

It was totally over hyped due to Ledger's death....no doubt about it. Turn on movies news for months and all you hear is "The Dark Knight, with the late heath ledger"

I agree the Crow is good...could've been better, but obvious cicumstance has pretty much canned all of it's subplots...shame.

I'm not saying people turned up to it just because of Ledger, but it's the one thing that's notable about the movie "ledger's performance blah blah"...my argument is that his performance, whilst very strong, wouldn't have gotten half the recognition without the words "the late..." before Ledger's name...You're also making up statistics about the movie that we both can never confirm, or deny...the truth is we don't know what people's motives for seeing the movie were, but I'm saying in terms of the industry, it's their way of literally beating a dead donkey.

BB was not a *bad* movie...but it wasn't great. It was also long, drawn out, whilst I loved the characterisations, I just couldn't get over how slow and droning it was...but it was over all an enjoyable flick that reinvigorated the genre...but I still don't believe that Nolan is any good, sorry...if he was he'd learn how to pace his movie - and TDK is just testament to them including like almost every available piece of Heath Ledger footage just to "honour" him or something. It's hero worship and it actually detracts from the fact that Nolan has made two marginally enjoyable batman movies, with this latest offering I certainly don't believe it would be considered "oscar worthy". And I guarantee you - who'll win the oscar? If anyone, it'll be Ledger. It won't be Christian Bale...and it won't be Nolan for his direction...it'll be "posthumanously" awarded to Ledger - and aside from Jonny Depp's portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow, when has a mainstream hollywood action movie ever had a "best actor" even nominated for it? Look at wiki, you'll find there are very very few.

Neil
11-Sep-2008, 03:10 PM
I actually thought Aaron Eckhart's performance was one of the best!

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 03:29 PM

hmm, interesting....when this movie finally comes on Sky I'll give it another go and keep my eyes on him...

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 03:33 PM
Well your opinion on BB, TDK, and Nolan is your own and you're entitled to it, but you would most likely be in the minority on that one. Go look up some reviews and audience reactions. I would say that most people like this film for it's own merits and not the death's that occured to the cast and crew.

And Nolan in no way altered the film because of Ledger's death. He stated that shortly after the news of the death. He continued the film exactly the way he would have if nothing had happened to Heath. And you think he used too much Joker? I thought he used too little.:p

If Ledger's death brought all that money, acclaim, and popularity to the film, what happened to Chris Farley and John Candy's posthumous films?:rockbrow::lol:

Either way, I love it and in my mind it's without a doubt the best comic-to-film adaptation yet. It actually breaks free of the genre and becomes just a great crime drama in it's own right. Roll on with the DVD and re-release, I say!:hyper:

Neil
11-Sep-2008, 03:39 PM
Well your opinion on BB, TDK, and Nolan is your own and you're entitled to it, but you would most likely be in the minority on that one. Go look up some reviews and audience reactions. I would say that most people like this film for it's own merits and not the death's that occured to the cast and crew.

And Nolan in no way altered the film because of Ledger's death. He stated that shortly after the news of the death. He continued the film exactly the way he would have if nothing had happened to Heath. And you think he used too much Joker? I thought he used too little.:p

If Ledger's death brought all that money, acclaim, and popularity to the film, what happened to Chris Farley and John Candy's posthumous films?:rockbrow::lol:

Either way, I love it and in my mind it's without a doubt the best comic-to-film adaptation yet. It actually breaks free of the genre and becomes just a great crime drama in it's own right. Roll on with the DVD and re-release, I say!:hyper:

It's a shame Katie Holmes' wasn't in the second one... Wonder what the deal was there!

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 03:43 PM
OK without sounding like I'm totally ragging on this movie - here are the oscar winners for Best supporting actor from 1970s to present:

1970s
1970 John Mills - Ryan's Daughter as Michael
1971 Ben Johnson - The Last Picture Show as Sam the Lion
1972 Joel Grey - Cabaret as Master of Ceremonies
1973 John Houseman - The Paper Chase as Charles W. Kingsfield Jr.
1974 Robert De Niro - The Godfather Part II as Vito Corleone
1975 George Burns - The Sunshine Boys as Al Lewis
1976 Jason Robards - All the President's Men as Ben Bradlee
1977 Jason Robards - Julia as Dashiell Hammett
1978 Christopher Walken - The Deer Hunter as Nikonar 'Nick' Chevotarevich
1979 Melvyn Douglas - Being There as Benjamin Turnbull Rand
1980 Timothy Hutton - Ordinary People as Conrad Jarrett
1981 John Gielgud - Arthur as Hobson
1982 Louis Gossett, Jr. - An Officer and A Gentleman as Gunnery Sergeant Emil Foley
1983 Jack Nicholson - Terms of Endearment as Garrett Breedlove
1984 Haing S. Ngor - The Killing Fields as Dith Pran
1985 Don Ameche - Cocoon as Arthur Selwyn
1986 Michael Caine - Hannah and Her Sisters as Elliot
1987 Sean Connery - The Untouchables as Jim Malone
1988 Kevin Kline - A Fish Called Wanda as Otto West
1989 Denzel Washington - Glory as Pvt. Trip
1990 Joe Pesci - Goodfellas as Tommy DeVito
1991 Jack Palance - City Slickers as Curly Washburn
1992 Gene Hackman - Unforgiven as Little Bill Daggett
1993 Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive as Marshall Samuel Gerard
1994 Martin Landau - Ed Wood as Bela Lugosi
1995 Kevin Spacey - The Usual Suspects as Roger 'Verbal' Kint
1996 Cuba Gooding, Jr. - Jerry Maguire as Rod Tidwell
1997 Robin Williams - Good Will Hunting as Sean Maguire
1998 James Coburn - Affliction as Glen Whitehouse
1999 Michael Caine - The Cider House Rules as Dr. Wilbur Larch
2000 Benicio del Toro - Traffic as Javier Rodriguez Rodriguez
2001 Jim Broadbent - Iris as John Bayley
2002 Chris Cooper - Adaptation. as John Laroche
2003 Tim Robbins - Mystic River as Dave Boyle
2004 Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby as Eddie "Scrap-Iron" Dupris
2005 George Clooney - Syriana as Bob Barnes
2006 Alan Arkin - Little Miss Sunshine as Edwin Hoover
2007 Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men as Anton Chigurh

Here are the winners of best lead actor from 1970s to present:

1970 George C. Scott - Patton as Gen. George S. Patton Jr. (declined)
1971 Gene Hackman - The French Connection as Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle
1972 Marlon Brando - The Godfather as Don Vito Corleone (declined)
1973 Jack Lemmon - Save the Tiger as Harry Stoner
1974 Art Carney - Harry and Tonto as Harry Coombes
1975 Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as R.P. McMurphy
1976 Peter Finch - Network as Howard Beale (posthumous win)
1977 Richard Dreyfuss - The Goodbye Girl as Elliot Garfield
1978 Jon Voight - Coming Home as Luke Martin
1979 Dustin Hoffman - Kramer vs. Kramer as Ted Kramer
1980 Robert De Niro - Raging Bull as Jake LaMotta
1981 Henry Fonda - On Golden Pond as Norman Thayer
1982 Ben Kingsley - Gandhi as Mahatma Gandhi
1983 Robert Duvall - Tender Mercies as Mac Sledge
1984 F. Murray Abraham - Amadeus as Antonio Salieri
1985 William Hurt - Kiss of the Spider Woman as Luis Molina
1986 Paul Newman - The Color of Money as Fast Eddie Felson
1986 Paul Newman - The Color of Money as Fast Eddie Felson
1988 Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man as Raymond Babbitt
1989 Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot as Christy Brown
1990 Jeremy Irons - Reversal of Fortune as Claus von Bülow
1991 Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs as Hannibal Lecter
1992 Al Pacino - Scent of a Woman as Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade
1993 Tom Hanks - Philadelphia as Andrew Beckett
1994 Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump as Forrest Gump
1995 Nicolas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas as Ben Sanderson
1996 Geoffrey Rush - Shine as David Helfgott
1997 Jack Nicholson - As Good as It Gets as Melvin Udall
1998 Roberto Benigni - Life Is Beautiful as Guido Orefice
1999 Kevin Spacey - American Beauty as Lester Burnham
2000 Russell Crowe - Gladiator as Maximus Decimus Meridius
2001 Denzel Washington - Training Day as Alonzo Harris
2002 Adrien Brody - The Pianist as Wladyslaw Szpilman
2003 Sean Penn - Mystic River as Jimmy Markum
2004 Jamie Foxx - Ray as Ray Charles
2005 Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote as Truman Capote
2006 Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland as Idi Amin
2007 Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood as Daniel Plainview

NOTABLE: a *nomination* for Jonny depp in Pirates - not a win...
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl as Jack Sparrow

See the decided lack of action/comic book movies there? Notice how most of these winners are indeed dramas?

Now, are the special effects and soundtrack enough to propell this movie into Academy Award fame on their own, sans Ledger's performance? Probably not.

So what award is the studio going for? Best Special Effects? Best Direction? Best overall movie of the year ever on the face of the universe? Do you honestly think that? I personally, don't.

They're going for best supporting actor....and they're going for Heath Ledger....and he'll probably win...and if you marry up the past winners, to Ledger's character in Batman...well, I'm not saying it is TOTALLY outlandish...but it's a complete side step from what the Oscars usually promotes as an award ceremony...and why this huge sidestep, if he wins? Because he's dead....that's all I'm saying. It just doesn't make sense. If Ledger was alive...would this be happening?! I so, so seriously doubt it.

That's all I'm saying, I'm not ragging on anyone here, I'm just doing basic mathematics, and using basic logic.

I do agree with most of what you said, but I just don't believe, in any way, that any of TDK is Oscar worthy - look at my other post that I just made a second ago, look at past winners...and tell me you don't feel there's a fishy element....!!!

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 04:00 PM
dude...i'm not arguing with you about the oscars thing. You may be right on the ledger part, or they could be trying to go for best picture because of the film's success. I'm not saying it will happen because as you pointed out, it never has in the past, but times do change. I doubt it, but it could happen seeing as how comic/superhero films are a HUGE part of hollywood these days.

If anything, I think ledger deserves the oscar because they stiffed him for Brokeback Mountain. He was nominated, but I definitely think he deserved the win. With the Joker he created something unique, but is it the best this year? I don't know. Probably not.

As Neil pointed out earlier, if they think Ledger deserves an oscar nod, then Aaron Eckhart really deserves one for Harvey Two Face as well. He get's over looked alot for some reason(perhaps the Ledger hoopla you mentioned) but he was fantastic. A WELL rounded role. Not to mention the main character of the film....

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't worry mate, you can put your order in right now at play.com if you want... http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/655399/Dark-Knight/Product.html?source=5001&kwmid=2928356&kmcid=1655075731 (for the 3 disc version!)
Ooh you f*ckin' bitch...:shifty::shifty::shifty:

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 04:33 PM
dude...i'm not arguing with you about the oscars thing. You may be right on the ledger part, or they could be trying to go for best picture because of the film's success. I'm not saying it will happen because as you pointed out, it never has in the past, but times do change. I doubt it, but it could happen seeing as how comic/superhero films are a HUGE part of hollywood these days.

If anything, I think ledger deserves the oscar because they stiffed him for Brokeback Mountain. He was nominated, but I definitely think he deserved the win. With the Joker he created something unique, but is it the best this year? I don't know. Probably not.

As Neil pointed out earlier, if they think Ledger deserves an oscar nod, then Aaron Eckhart really deserves one for Harvey Two Face as well. He get's over looked alot for some reason(perhaps the Ledger hoopla you mentioned) but he was fantastic. A WELL rounded role. Not to mention the main character of the film....

Some people have said it's a bit...erm....thin on the ground? I dunno...I kinda watched the movie a bit mashed and forgot most of it...so I know some of my comments aren't too well founded - but yeah....cool discussion anyway...

I think our wires may be crossed between the points of me thinking that this oscar thing is about his death, and maybe you thinking I am attributing the film's success to his death - which I'm not...I think it was promoted by and large because of his death but I think it was successful simply because it's a dark action comic book movie with Batman in it!! :)

Neil
11-Sep-2008, 06:28 PM
Ooh you f*ckin' bitch...:shifty::shifty::shifty:

LOL :) Sorry :(

Danny
11-Sep-2008, 07:25 PM

i agree, ledger played a good character, but it was just that, not the joker, just a great character, while eckhart played two face spot on like he had stepped off the comics.

and the less said about batbale the better:rolleyes:

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 07:27 PM
i agree, ledger played a good character, but it was just that, not the joker, just a great character,

What? Are you serious? Ledger is so far the ONLY actor to get the character right.

Danny
11-Sep-2008, 07:34 PM
the guy ledger played was not the joker i've been reading in the comics for years. the acting was fantastic but he felt more like a bad guy from a marvel comic book than dc if you get what i mean.

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 07:40 PM
If you're talking about recent comics, then no....he wasn't that guy. This Joker was based on his first appearences in Batman #1, Arkham Asylum, and The Killing Joke. Minus the origin, of course.

Ledger's joker is the closest anyones ever come and probably ever will come to getting the character right.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Sep-2008, 09:30 PM
It's a shame Katie Holmes' wasn't in the second one... Wonder what the deal was there!

My Guess... Mr. Katie Holmes had something to do with it.

Neil
12-Sep-2008, 08:20 AM
My Guess... Mr. Katie Holmes had something to do with it.
I think it was more likely Katie her self. I think she was signed up, but in the end other projects got in the way...

MaximusIncredulous
12-Sep-2008, 10:23 AM

Speaking of The Crow, anyone feel TDK was trying to inject some Crow into Ledger's Joker? Or maybe it's the other way around. I dunno. Just thought it strange how Ledger was reminding me of Lee, not because of premature death, just the makeup.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2008, 10:50 AM
Speaking of The Crow, anyone feel TDK was trying to inject some Crow into Ledger's Joker? Or maybe it's the other way around. I dunno. Just thought it strange how Ledger was reminding me of Lee, not because of premature death, just the makeup.
Never thought of the Crow at all when watching TDK and Ledger's Joker, I was always thinking more along the lines of Sid Vicious.

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 12:00 PM

Ish. I did think that (proof (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=82365492&blogID=419582221&Mytoken=43F55F66-5934-47DF-B78F2C5DDED44A3493143456)! hahaha) but as well as the smeary goth-esque makeup and premature deaths they also both play goth-friendly, driven, romantic loner type characters with histories of abuse and loss.

bassman
12-Sep-2008, 12:23 PM

Nah, I didn't get that feeling. I have heard alot of people say that his make up reminds them of Beetlejuice, though.:confused:

Nice signature, Chic.

"My father was....a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. NOT...ONE...BIT."

Okay, now I want to go home and watch it.:D

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 12:44 PM
Okay, now I want to go home and watch it.:D

Me too. I want a copy. Give me your copy.

bassman
12-Sep-2008, 12:45 PM
Me too. I want a copy. Give me your copy.

shhhhh. That kind of talk isn't allowed around here.:shifty:

But it's out there if you really want it...

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 02:03 PM
shhhhh. That kind of talk isn't allowed around here.:shifty:

But it's out there if you really want it...

It's okay, I was kidding ;) I'm sure I'll track down something when I get a chance, although I'd rather wait it out for a proper copy than ye olde video-camera-in-cinema job.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2008, 05:52 PM
Apparently we're supposed to be able to pre-order it towards the end of this month.

Providing the DVD isn't delayed, but I assume that rumour is just bollocks. Missing out on the Xmas season would be utterly stupid.

DjfunkmasterG
12-Sep-2008, 08:15 PM
I doubt they would lose any money if the delayed the DVD.

TDK is the second highest grossing film on the planet, $515 million in ticket sales US alone, trust me they aren't worried. Imagine if it does get an OSCAR nom, it means more money for the movie. They won't lose out at all.

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 10:05 PM
Hopefully seeing it again tomorrow night if there's nothing else on at the local cinema (which there probably won't be... it's an extremely old and traditional and rural cinema. They even still have a break in the middle and someone who comes round with little tubs of ice-cream on a tray hung round their neck).

MinionZombie
13-Sep-2008, 11:08 AM
I thought this cinema re-release was just a formality though to apply to the Oscars?

I think it wouldn't do them any favours not releasing the DVD for Xmas, especially with all the interest and hype - strike while the iron's hot damnit, people want the DVD, f*ckin' give 'em it. :D

Also, after Xmas, everybody's strapped for cash so they're not rushing out to buy a bunch of stuff for at least two months.

Chic Freak
13-Sep-2008, 04:40 PM
Couldn't agree more MZ...

Lol these are the entire options at my local cinema tonight:

The Women
The Duchess

:|

I guess my Keira Knightley allergy means I'll be watching The Women. Meh.

I can't wait to move to London.

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2008, 05:16 PM
I guess my Keira Knightley allergy means I'll be watching The Women. Meh.

Let us know how that works out for ya, Chic :p I think Keira is fly, but I recently caught a few of her snipits of off the cuff discussion in interviews etc. and realized how...terribly...young she is, as in 'doesn't have a clue' young.

MinionZombie
13-Sep-2008, 06:21 PM
Let us know how that works out for ya, Chic :p I think Keira is fly, but I recently caught a few of her snipits of off the cuff discussion in interviews etc. and realized how...terribly...young she is, as in 'doesn't have a clue' young.
You still would though, wouldn't ya? :D I know I would. :p

Chic - I'm off to see Pineapple Express tomorrow, not exactly local - we have to drive to a whole other country to see it, best part of 80 or 90 miles round trip ... and yes, Wales IS another country. :D

There is a more local cinema - but again, still in Wales, but closer to the border, it's a small independent cinema, but I haven't been to it in years to be honest. But I used to go there quite a bit back in the day.

There's positives and negatives to each type of cinema really...

Chic Freak
13-Sep-2008, 07:39 PM
I think Keira is fly, but I recently caught a few of her snipits of off the cuff discussion in interviews etc. and realized how...terribly...young she is, as in 'doesn't have a clue' young.

Aye, and so whiny. Hence my "allergy", she just brings me out in irritation!

Chic - I'm off to see Pineapple Express tomorrow, not exactly local - we have to drive to a whole other country to see it, best part of 80 or 90 miles round trip ... and yes, Wales IS another country. :D

There is a more local cinema - but again, still in Wales, but closer to the border, it's a small independent cinema, but I haven't been to it in years to be honest. But I used to go there quite a bit back in the day.

There's positives and negatives to each type of cinema really...

Yeah, I do like how cosy and old school my current local is, it's like taking a trip back to the 50s which is right up my street really! It's just a bit frustrating when they only have 2-3 choices of a movie of an evening.

I'm just not dedicated enough to drive 90 miles to see a film! :eek: The only time I've done that was to see the Land of the Dead preview at Somerset House, but that was a special occassion!

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2008, 10:46 AM
hehe, it is a bit crazy to drive all that distance, but then again it's for the choice and to see films in their first week, in big chairs that are comfortable, on a far bigger screen with better sound ... even if it is all a bit heartless and there's occasionally morons running about in the lobby (although generally it's all rather respectful, only in Step Brothers two weeks ago did we have two stupid girls up at the back screaming some illegibal bit of "comedy" at the screen, nobody knew what they were saying, nobody laughed except them, and they were drowned out by the actual laughter at the actual movie, which was nice and loud in itself).

It's also a bit of a lads night out on these big trips t'cinema, so you can all laugh and joke during the journey, listen to some choons on the stereo etc you know.

But yep ... that's rural living for ya, you have to drive in cars to places as they're quite a distance away ... something those Lahdahn-based politicians don't grasp whatsoever.

Danny
14-Sep-2008, 12:37 PM
man, after driving that far to see pineapple express your gonna be disappointed. anchorman, hell, walk hard was a funnier movie. pineapple express was so predictable and mediocre i actually walked out with 40 minutes to go, i have NEVER done that before. it was jsut so lame i thought "there is better stuff i can do in the next hour" and promptly left.

hands down apatows worst flick.

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2008, 04:28 PM
man, after driving that far to see pineapple express your gonna be disappointed. anchorman, hell, walk hard was a funnier movie. pineapple express was so predictable and mediocre i actually walked out with 40 minutes to go, i have NEVER done that before. it was jsut so lame i thought "there is better stuff i can do in the next hour" and promptly left.

hands down apatows worst flick.
pfft

1) You walked out with 40 minutes left - FAIL! :D
2) I've rather enjoyed all Apatow flicks.
3) Total Film really liked it - and 95% of the time I agree with their reviews.
4) You're a total bucket of jaded most of the time. :p
5) I know what I'm gonna like and what I'm gonna hate most of the time.

:D

Chic Freak
14-Sep-2008, 04:48 PM
It's also a bit of a lads night out on these big trips t'cinema, so you can all laugh and joke during the journey, listen to some choons on the stereo etc you know.

Yeah I know what you mean, those sorts of evenings are always kind of chilled and cosy. Virtually all my friends from the age of 13 have been male so I'm sort of genderless in their eyes and we have vaguely lads-ish nights out :)

But yep ... that's rural living for ya, you have to drive in cars to places as they're quite a distance away ... something those Lahdahn-based politicians don't grasp whatsoever.

I'm not even taking my car to London, it's either getting sold to someone gullible or going to Peugot 106 Heaven. It's a shame really as I have a lot of happy memories in that car but there's really no sense keeping it in London with nowhere to park it and a Tube station 5 minutes away.

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2008, 06:19 PM
Exactly, a car in London doesn't make sense - especially with this Oyster Card stuff (providing they make it more secure!), whereas outside major cities - you simply NEED a car, and the majority of Britain isn't a major city...take that London politicians! :sneaky:

bassman
14-Sep-2008, 07:36 PM
I have to agree with Hellsing on this one. Pineapple Express isn't worth the time, gas, and money that you would have to put out, MZ. It has it's moments, but it's easily the worst of Apatow's Productions so far.

I would say wait and see it through rental or other cheaper/free means..

acealive1
14-Sep-2008, 09:23 PM
hmmm, i disagree. I think it's been a huge part of the promotional drive for this movie - it doesn't need to be in the actual promotional material, it's been banded all over the media since the film was in post after Ledger's death. Sorry to be cynical, but it's an overblown, over-long and choppy movie!! Same thing happened with The Crow, pretty much...that was infamous not for being a good movie, but because Lee died during shooting.

that wasnt true with the crow at all

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2008, 11:26 PM
Youze guys are talking wank, seriously, "worst" of Apatow's flicks? :rockbrow:

Surely if that goes to anything, it's Drillbit Taylor, which was just alright.

As for Pineapple Express - got back just now, F*CKING LOVED IT. No joke, I absolutely loved it, we all had a right laugh. I thought it rocked.

So ner-ner-ner-ner-nerrrrr. :)