PDA

View Full Version : September 11th

Kaos
11-Sep-2008, 03:30 PM
Feeling kind of morose today. Still have the visual memories of what happened etched in my mind. Doing my best to contain the rage against the intolerant radical religious culture that led to the attacks. I can't even watch any of the movies about 911 because quite frankly it still is a raw wound for me. My blood begins to boil thinking of the damage done to the victims and their families. I will never forget.

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 03:39 PM
While I do feel sorry for the victims and their families.... I have to agree with what a local radio DJ said this morning. "9/11" has almost become a catch phrase. The day and the events should always be remembered, but these days the words "9/11", "September 11th", "World Trade Center", etc seem like some kind of a gimmick. They're thrown around all the time and it just seems...I dunno. Weird.

It's like people have already forgotten the events, but throw around the "names" like it's the cool thing to do...if that makes sense. I'm not sure I'm getting my thoughts on this across the way I want to so i'll shut up.

Maybe the dj was right when he said that in a way, it's become what presents and Santa Clause are to Christmas.:|

Kaos
11-Sep-2008, 03:43 PM
Not sure I agree to the extent you and dj are saying. I do think it is a political catchphrase for many, but not yet an xmas like event. It may come to that, but I suppose when Hallmark starts providing a 9/11 section in their greeting card displays we'll know that your vision is coming to be.

darth los
11-Sep-2008, 04:07 PM
That outrage is fine, it's normal. But we must beware of those in power who would use that to further their agenda just as the Bush administration did.

While the wounds were still fresh they sounded the drumbeat to war in Iraq and nobody argued. Nobody dared. Not enough people anyway. They could have invaded the country of their choosing if they just said they had a role in the 9-11 attacks. It just so happens that they chose Iraq. That's a tragedy.

I don't think there's a single sane person who was against going to war in Afghanistan and getting the sons of bitches that attacked us that day. Hopefully we can get back to that.

God bless the people and their families who lost loved ones that day. God bless us all. We're gonna need it.

MinionZombie
11-Sep-2008, 04:42 PM
Watched a show on Channel 4 last night, a doc about "The 9/11 Hotel" ... the Marriott, or whatever it was at the foot of the Twin Towers and the people who survived it.

It was interesting for once, in all these docs, to see where these people had gone after the day, what happened to them and such, including a hard bitten lawyer who made a concious decision to be nice to people from that day on, who invited the man who saved his life to his daughter's wedding and such.

Quite an interesting doc, the imagery from that day is still immensely powerful, and if you try to even think about "what was it like to be there", your mind just freaks out because it's incomprehensible to even imagine what it must have been like.

I remember hearing a girl at school (this was when I was in the upper sixth form, not long into the second year of sixth form you see) come in and say "a plane just hit the World Trade Centre" ... nobody really paid much attention, except to say ... "that's a bit random..." and suchlike, as well as mention the small plane that flew into the Empire State Building.

Then I got home, and just as I walked into the lounge, I saw one of the towers collapsing on TV (this must have been a playback considering the time I got back home), but then I was like "holy sh*t" ... even then I didn't grasp the severity of the situation for quite a long while afterwards.

I think I find 9/11 more affecting since attending my first funeral in 2005, ever since then I've found anything to do with people dying (not in movies, but real life stuff ... or fictional stuff played out really well - like "The Royale Family: The Queen of Sheeba") ... anyway.

It was quite disturbing afterwards, like towards Xmas time or just after, some of the first year high school kids were doing art projects based on 9/11, and it was essentially a whole series of Twin Tower cardboard and paper mache versions of the real buildings, some on fire, some with the tails of planes sticking out of them ... really odd and somewhat disturbing in a way, but it also displayed the lack of full scale comprehension these kids had of the event.

Awful stuff, but surprisingly compelling ... in that it's unimaginable, but it was REAL ... and yet amidst all this tragedy and death, there were countless selfless acts, people helping each other out.

It's just a shame that it takes a major and symbolic tragedy for such positive light to shine.

bassman
11-Sep-2008, 04:47 PM
Awful stuff, but surprisingly compelling ... in that it's unimaginable, but it was REAL ... and yet amidst all this tragedy and death, there were countless selfless acts, people helping each other out.

I agree. I always watch the documentaries on the Discovery channel about how it happened, how people made it out, what caused the collapse, etc. It's kind of depressing but I find very interesting for some reason. The misses hates it and says I'm messed up for wanting to watch it over again.:confused:

slickwilly13
11-Sep-2008, 05:03 PM
Forgot about 9-11 with the hurricane coming.

Tricky
11-Sep-2008, 05:21 PM
I remember coming home from work & seeing the towers on fire on the news,it actually took me a while to figure out it was really happeneing & wasnt just a scene from the latest blockbuster they were showing! :eek:
R.I.P. to everyone who died that day,not just in the towers but those on flight 93 & 77 :(

darth los
11-Sep-2008, 05:26 PM
Atleast once a generation there's an event that occurs that changes everything. An event where it's impossible to forget what you were doing the exaxt moment you found out about it. This was ours. It's a shame that a mere 7 years hence the meaning of that day has been blurred.

horrormad
11-Sep-2008, 05:27 PM
I think the best thing to do Is just to put It behind us.

slickwilly13
11-Sep-2008, 05:50 PM
I remeber gettting dressed for class which got cancelled 10 mins after it started. My dad and I were talking about stuff and for some reason he had the t.v. off, which is strange. Because almost always has Fox News on. Then one of my mom's Republican cronies called and left a msg on our answering machine. Something about some buildings in New York on fire. My dad and I asked each other wtf is she talking about? So, we turned the t.v. on and saw it. A few minutes later the buildings collapsed on live t.v..

Dillinger
11-Sep-2008, 05:59 PM
Two words: Inside job.

9/11 was a tragedy, and it's a shame the government let it happen. There's a documentary out right now called "Fabled Enemies." It has a BBC reporter claiming that Building 7 collapsed a full fifteen minutes before it fell. If those were my family members that died on 9/11, I would sue the government for dereliction of duty and criminal neglect. Then I would take the money and start another secessionist movement in Missouri.

If the government refuses to protect its own people, and its own buildings and airspace, how can we expect them to protect and uphold the constitution? Therefore, all federal laws, bi-laws and statutes are considered null and void, and Missouri would be forced to seperate from the Federal government.

darth los
11-Sep-2008, 05:59 PM
I think the best thing to do Is just to put It behind us.

And give up the most potent political tool of the last quarter century !?!

Chic Freak
11-Sep-2008, 06:18 PM
Quite an interesting doc, the imagery from that day is still immensely powerful, and if you try to even think about "what was it like to be there", your mind just freaks out because it's incomprehensible to even imagine what it must have been like.

Have you seen the documentary by the two French guys who were doing a doc on the NY Fire Service at the time? Incredible. The area looked liked Silent Hill after the towers collapsed... everything covered in a thick layer of grey ash, eerily silent and empty and still "snowing" ash, then a massive alyer of warped metal and such covering this inferno underneath that stayed hot for days.

I remember hearing a girl at school (this was when I was in the upper sixth form, not long into the second year of sixth form you see) come in and say "a plane just hit the World Trade Centre" ... nobody really paid much attention, except to say ... "that's a bit random..." and suchlike, as well as mention the small plane that flew into the Empire State Building.

Then I got home, and just as I walked into the lounge, I saw one of the towers collapsing on TV (this must have been a playback considering the time I got back home), but then I was like "holy sh*t" ... even then I didn't grasp the severity of the situation for quite a long while afterwards.

Same here... I was at school waiting for the bus home when someone told me and I didn't believe them... it took several days of watching the footage on TV before I really believed it, it just didn't look real.

It's just a shame that it takes a major and symbolic tragedy for such positive light to shine.

Sort of like our generation's Titanic.

SymphonicX
11-Sep-2008, 06:26 PM
I was...erm...in bed with my gf...having a lazy sleep in....our room mate knocked onto the door and said "two planes have just hit the world trade centre!"...we kinda didn't think about it, thought a light aircraft group had flown out of control or something, we came down just as the 2nd tower collapsed...it never sunk in, until a week or so later I realised just how devastating and tragic the whole thing was. What really brings a tear to my eye is the insurmountable loses that people experienced, coupled with unreal displays of heroism and valor...it was a true spectacle to see that many people coming together to help people survive...I'll never forget the looks on people's faces during that tradegy...a true nightmare for civilisation.

I too watched the documentary the other night, and nearly shed a tear at the story of the Irish guy who was in one of the buildings at the time, only to realise later on that his sister and niece were both in the plane that crashed into the North tower...that was horrible, such a tradegy. I'm not afraid to admit that this distresses me, I love human beings, and to see this amount of people have their lives destroyed really sticks in my throat. What's truly inspiring is the amount of beauty that came out of it...

But what's really pissing me off is people, especially politicians, using the deaths of 3000 innocent people as a weapon to wage war against arab nations and to create secular and insular nationalism within the US. Mainstream media even did it over here...my particular favourite of The Sun was "365 reasons why we should go to war in Iraq" followed by 365 quotes of victims of 9/11...ridiculous, and a very sad day for humanity that people have lapped this **** up.

mista_mo
11-Sep-2008, 06:30 PM
I was in grade 8 at the time I think...Heard about it in school Actually. It was pretty scary too, because at the time my dad was in the military, and I had no idea if he was going to go help or anything. Not too mention We're not exceedingly far from New York, and in essence, the attack happened right on Canadas door step. I honestly thought a simultaneous attack would occur somewhere in Canada..

an event like this..something that was so...unmitigated, an atrocity if you will, makes you wonder about the fate of humanity. Will we keep flying planes into the towers of our enemies? Will we always answer with a patriotic outcry, then ride that patriotism into another conflict?

But at the same time, we witnessed people go above and beyond the call of duty, and show true valor. Alot of bad and terrible things happened that day, but it brought out the best in humanity as well as the worst...It is still mind boggling that so many people died. Looking at the numbers is nothing. we can't put a face to the name, we never knew them, knew what they did, but at the same time, we try our best too try and put ourselves in their shoes, and try and think of what they went through that day. Both the survivors and the dead.

Events like this will always be remembered. No matter how old our civilization becomes, this will be mentioned for generations to come. It will be mentioned as the time that the confidence of the most powerful nation on the planet was shaken by a terrorist attack of unmitigated hate and animosity.

Dillinger
11-Sep-2008, 06:31 PM
The biggest cross-section of 9/11 truthers in the world are the families that saw their loved ones murdered on that fateful day.

Luke Rudowski and the New York division of 9/11 Truth are doing tremendous work, and it's a shame that the victims' families were removed from the 9/11 whitewash, er... commission when they brought up the topics of Able Danger and controlled demolitions.

It's also a damned shame that the director of the C.I.A., the president & the vice president refused to answer questions about 9/11 under oath.

acealive1
11-Sep-2008, 08:30 PM
yes please lets never forget this happened simply because it doesnt need to happen again. BUT also,it shouldnt be a marketing scheme or a way to gain control through panic and mass hysteria the way it was for the first 4 years after the towers fell.

darth los
11-Sep-2008, 08:40 PM
yes please lets never forget this happened simply because it doesnt need to happen again. BUT also,it shouldnt be a marketing scheme or a way to gain control through panic and mass hysteria the way it was for the first 4 years after the towers fell.

You just explained how the reps maintained their grip on power for the last 8 years. GOOD JOB !! :thumbsup:

MaximusIncredulous
11-Sep-2008, 08:56 PM

or a cheap, shameless attempt for votes at a political convention.

Chic Freak
11-Sep-2008, 09:32 PM
Mainstream media even did it over here...my particular favourite of The Sun was "365 reasons why we should go to war in Iraq" followed by 365 quotes of victims of 9/11...

That really is disgusting.

ProfessorChaos
11-Sep-2008, 11:51 PM
i was on active duty in the marines on september 11th, and was informed that a plane had hit one of the towers. i joined a group of other marines glued to a tv set just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. i recall one dude being really hungover and sleeping through the attack, and another marine went over to wake him up...but the dude didn't want to be woken up and punched the other marine in the face and bloodied his nose. after the towers fell, i called up and spoke with all my close friends and family about the events and how they would influence my service.

a very sad and shocking day, but i gotta agree that the phrase 9/11 rolls off of too many people's tongues without any thought about how fu(ked up that day really was and how many lives were impacted.

acealive1
12-Sep-2008, 12:00 AM
i was on active duty in the marines on september 11th, and was informed that a plane had hit one of the towers. i joined a group of other marines glued to a tv set just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. i recall one dude being really hungover and sleeping through the attack, and another marine went over to wake him up...but the dude didn't want to be woken up and punched the other marine in the face and bloodied his nose. after the towers fell, i called up and spoke with all my close friends and family about the events and how they would influence my service.

a very sad and shocking day, but i gotta agree that the phrase 9/11 rolls off of too many people's tongues without any thought about how fu(ked up that day really was and how many lives were impacted.

i was merely 19 when the towers fell and my god was that a shocking day. i was stuck in college at 8 am cuz they closed the school right where it stood.

Bub666
12-Sep-2008, 02:19 AM
They showed the actual news broadcast from that day on MSNBC earlier today.Even after 7 years,it's still very sad.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2008, 11:11 AM
Chic - indeed I have seen that doc by the two French guys, an amazing piece it is too. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like being there as a documentary filmmaker, but I'd imagine I'd do similar things and act in a similar way to the brothers, just document and document ... try and condense it all into the viewfinder to be able to somehow control your surroundings until you can step back and physically get out of the situation when you can really think about what all happened.

I do think "9/11" has become a brand, definitely, but only for certain people/groups, but for those removed from it, you can easily say "oh yeah 9/11" and swiftly move on easily, but equally you can also sit down for a bit and then get into a huge discussion about it and get greatly affected by it - simply because it's still so incomprehensible.

Last night for instance, I was talking to my folks about the docs I'd seen about 9/11 on Channel 4 these past couple of days and we all were talking about how we first found out, what our first reactions were etc. My Dad said he came in and thought it was a preview of a movie or something, my Mum and Sister were watching Crossroads at the time (a soap opera on ITV, not shown anymore) and it just cut out mid-episode and went to the news.

Chic - aye, I guess you could say it's like our generation's Titanic, it's certainly the defining socio-political tragedy of our generation, and indeed thus far for the new millennium.

If I have kids, and indeed grand kids, no doubt I'll be sat there retelling the story of September 11th to them when they learn about it in school.

I even kept a bunch of newspapers from the day after/few days after the day itself as I knew how utterly huge this event was going to be. At the time it was too big to comprehend, but I knew it'd become something big - although I couldn't forsee two wars, mass protests, further bombings and all sorts.

Again, with 7/7, I woke up after a lie in and came downstairs and flicking on the telly and saw 'generic' shots of chaos on the streets but was still so groggy and un-switched-on, that I went immediately to MTV-2 or something and flipped around until my Mum came in and said about it, then I switched over and couldn't get that into my head. My Sister was supposed to have been in London that day, but her meeting was cancelled at the last minute, so she didn't end up in London on the day thankfully!

But yeah, 7/7 took me a good while to grasp as well.

Also, a thought about 9/11 "branding", you can tell that it's happened, at least for all of us to a moderate extent, in that the world calls it "9/11" ... when in reality, due to our dating system, it's "11/9".

As for 7/7, that obviously works either way...and 21/7 should be obvious enough even to the dimmest couch-on-the-lawn type over there ... ... except for that guy wearing the 9/11/02 t-shirt that is - anyone seen that? If that's real then ... damn. :eek:

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 11:50 AM
My Sister was supposed to have been in London that day, but her meeting was cancelled at the last minute, so she didn't end up in London on the day thankfully!

It's strange how everyone seems to know at least one person who was almost on that train or that bus.

A photographer I know who is actually Californian and living in Manchester just so happened to be in London that day, on that train... she got off a stop earlier than she was supposed to because she just had this weird claustrophobic feeling that she had to "get out" and get above ground. A couple of stops later the bomb went off :eek: If she hadn't had this random freak-out in advance she could have been injured or worse.

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2008, 12:30 PM
It's strange how everyone seems to know at least one person who was almost on that train or that bus.

A photographer I know who is actually Californian and living in Manchester just so happened to be in London that day, on that train... she got off a stop earlier than she was supposed to because she just had this weird claustrophobic feeling that she had to "get out" and get above ground. A couple of stops later the bomb went off :eek: If she hadn't had this random freak-out in advance she could have been injured or worse.
Geeeeeez, that's freaky! :eek:

Very fortunate for her though, I can begin to imagine what you'd feel like, getting off a train on a whim almost, and then BOOM - that must be pretty messed up to know you came soooooo close to serious injury or probably death. :eek:

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 12:42 PM
I can begin to imagine what you'd feel like, getting off a train on a whim almost, and then BOOM - that must be pretty messed up to know you came soooooo close to serious injury or probably death. :eek:

Yes, it was a total whim- she wasn't where she was supposed to be yet and ended up having to find a bus stop to get her the rest of the way.

DawnGirl27
12-Sep-2008, 01:55 PM
When I got up yesterday I turned MSNBC on and they were replaying what went on that morning in real time, so I felt like I was watching it again like I had 7 years ago. I still can't get over seeing that second plane hit - knowing what we do now, you feel so helpless not being able to do anything. But remembering the acts of heroism, like the passengers who took over their flight, the firefighters in the towers that were helping people down, then going right back up and subsequently dying....really shows the strength of the human spirit.

I remember on one of those specials where a man's son was lost in one of the towers, just a month or so before he was going to get married. The father had his arm around the girl, and said with tears in his eyes, 'A piece of paper makes no difference. She is our daughter.' Still makes me teary when I think of what the people involved went through - those who survived and those who didn't. And the ones who managed to get calls from their loved ones - can you imagine that feeling? Knowing later that that was the last time you'd ever hear their voice?

I'm still so proud of the everyday people who stepped up that day, even giving their lives. Gives us hope in this messed up world, that not everyone is out for themselves. Some people do the right thing.

Neil
12-Sep-2008, 03:25 PM
Two words: Inside job.

9/11 was a tragedy, and it's a shame the government let it happen. There's a documentary out right now called "Fabled Enemies." It has a BBC reporter claiming that Building 7 collapsed a full fifteen minutes before it fell. If those were my family members that died on 9/11, I would sue the government for dereliction of duty and criminal neglect. Then I would take the money and start another secessionist movement in Missouri.

If the government refuses to protect its own people, and its own buildings and airspace, how can we expect them to protect and uphold the constitution? Therefore, all federal laws, bi-laws and statutes are considered null and void, and Missouri would be forced to seperate from the Federal government.For goodness sake :rolleyes: Please let's not go there... http://screwloosechange.blogspot.com/search/label/Fabled%20Enemies

The main thing that really frustrates me about 9/11 is how the Bush administration somehow managed to convince everyone it had enough to do with Iraq to actually invade a country :rolleyes: I'll swear it's done more harm than good.

I actually recall seeing footage being played of 9/11 while Iraq was being discussed as if they were somehow connected. And of course we all know how good/accurate the intelligence was that convinced us to go in... :annoyed:

darth los
12-Sep-2008, 04:29 PM

It's the result of the overuse of the phrase. When you are exposed to something enough you are desensitized to it.

Neil
12-Sep-2008, 04:56 PM
A parody of 'Loose Change' - http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=af07

horrormad
12-Sep-2008, 05:03 PM
And give up the most potent political tool of the last quarter century !?!

I know what you all think but what Im trying to say Is put It behind us and try to forget what happend that day maybe that will be better.

Chic Freak
12-Sep-2008, 05:55 PM
I know what you all think but what Im trying to say Is put It behind us and try to forget what happend that day maybe that will be better.

I disagree. Not only were thousands of innocent people murdered but so many more committed extreme acts of heroism and even sacrificed their lives so others could live. Why shouldn't they be remembered?

MinionZombie
12-Sep-2008, 06:10 PM
I disagree. Not only were thousands of innocent people murdered but so many more committed extreme acts of heroism and even sacrificed their lives so others could live. Why shouldn't they be remembered?
I'm with you there Chic.

Sure 9/11 was an awful event, but I see the remembrance of it as a way to call attention to the heroes of the day, to inspire people around the world as well as in America to be better people ... and also, just to further get our heads around a situation that is pretty much incomprehensible unless you were there - but at least we can understand it a bit better than before.

It's also an important event in human history and teaches many lessons - it's like the Holocaust - absolutely hideous event, but an incredibly important historical even and lesson.

I think remembering and studying such awful events make us better people - and this is of course removing all the politics from the situation, which is generally best put to one side, or examined in a whole different way - it's still important to pay attention to the related politics, things like the ghastly Terrorism Bill here in the UK is a direct result of 9/11.

But then anyway, the Western world has changed a lot, in many ways from subtle to obvious, in reaction to 9/11 - it defines the new millennium, and indeed defines our generation. Indeed, it's impossible to ignore.

MikePizzoff
12-Sep-2008, 06:53 PM
September 11th, 2001 (I refuse to buy into the 9/11 catch phrase) has become so exploited, it's not even funny. Everywhere you look, companies are cashing in on the deaths of thousands of people by putting stupid eagles and American flags and "NEVER FORGET" etc. on t-shirt's, bumper stickers, hats, flags, little cheaply made plastic "models" of the Twin Towers, and even quarters/dollar bills. Ugh, give me a break. Cashing in on tragedy is not something I find acceptable.

Like I'd ever forget about that day without a coffee mug to remind me?

Publius
12-Sep-2008, 09:51 PM
September 11th, 2001 (I refuse to buy into the 9/11 catch phrase) has become so exploited, it's not even funny. Everywhere you look, companies are cashing in on the deaths of thousands of people by putting stupid eagles and American flags and "NEVER FORGET" etc. on t-shirt's, bumper stickers, hats, flags, little cheaply made plastic "models" of the Twin Towers, and even quarters/dollar bills. Ugh, give me a break. Cashing in on tragedy is not something I find acceptable.

Like I'd ever forget about that day without a coffee mug to remind me?

We'll know the commercialism has really gone overboard if, in September 2011, Porsche comes out with a special commemorative edition car called the Porsche 9/11 Carrera WTC, with Twin Towers Turbo.

MikePizzoff
12-Sep-2008, 10:42 PM
We'll know the commercialism has really gone overboard if, in September 2011, Porsche comes out with a special commemorative edition car called the Porsche 9/11 Carrera WTC, with Twin Towers Turbo.

:lol: I just laughed the hardest I have all day. Thank you.

Publius
12-Sep-2008, 11:01 PM
:lol: I just laughed the hardest I have all day. Thank you.

Would it be too much to suggest that a rival car manufacturer might respond with the Lamborghini Giuliani? ;)

Yojimbo
13-Sep-2008, 12:48 AM
Has anyone else seen an advertisment on TV for some sort of $20.00 coin 9/11 commemorative coin? Has an image of the twin towers on a "silver" facsimile of a bill which has "9" and "11" which, they explain, adds up to "20"

Most tasteless cashing in on national tragedy...ever!

I remember on 9/11 I was on my honeymoon in Las Vegas, shaving in the bathroom in our suite when the it came over the news. My wife called me to the living room and I think I sat for about an hour with shaving cream drying on my face, stunned as I watched the second tower collapse.

Later we left the hotel and went outside, we saw that Vegas had overnight become a ghost town, with every Casino's digital display sign showing an American Flag with the words "We Will Never Forget" Stopped into one of the major casinos, and it was nearly empty with a few people sitting in the sports bar, every TV display turned to a different news broadcast. I remember a sick, scared feeling coming over me that I was witnessing the beginning of the end of our way of life.

Since we were scheduled (with a non-refundable ticket) to fly to Hawaii for the remainder of our honeymoon, and all flights were cancelled, we figured that we were out of luck. The highways in and out of Vegas were also shut down, so we figured that we were going to be stranded. But the potential loss of our trip was outshadowed by the tragedy that was unfolding minute by minute. I recall saying to my wife that we were going to be headed into an era of extreme nationalism, and that the terrorists were about to find out just how brutal us Americans can be, in spite of our commerical ads for diet coke and Mc Donalds.

Airports were eventually opened and we went to Hawaii, where it was also nearly deserted. Got to run naked on a deserted beach, which was kind of cool, but still the remainder of our honeymoon was rather solemn. We just couldn't get past what had happened in New York, and were very sad for those who lost their lives and their poor families.

Later learned about the "let's Roll" guy. Even later, I felt embarassed by his wife who immediately started to cash in on his fame by marketing "Let's Roll" merchandise.

7 Years later: Last night I saw on History Channel a documentary which was comprised of raw archival footage of the attack. It was put together much like Diary was, except this was real footage, and therefore much more scary. And seven years later, I found myself having to fight back tears as I saw the towers collapse and heard the people screaming.

I would like to say that we, as Americans, have learned a lot and grown a lot since 9/11, but on some level I don't know that I can say this. 9/11 has become a marketing ploy, used both by Madison Avenue and the War Department. Bumper Stickers proclaim "War is Never the Answer" and think that this statement, in and of itself, is simultaneously truthful and trendy. People fly the USA flag in minature on their cars, but replace them during lakers season since they want to always show who's side they are on at that moment. And still, we have a generation of people who are so jaded and apathetic or misdirected and idiotic that they pay more attention to "LOST" or "AMERICAN IDOL" than they do to a presidential election.

The only lesson we have learned, really, is that we are not immune to attack and that we are not, nor have we ever been, bulletproof.

Eyebiter
13-Sep-2008, 01:01 AM
Has anyone else seen an advertisment on TV for some sort of $20.00 coin 9/11 commemorative coin? Has an image of the twin towers on a silver facsimile of a bill which has 9 and 11 which, they explain, adds up to 20.
Most tasteless cashing in on national tragedy...ever!

Worst part it's LIBERIAN currency.
At current exchange rates 20 Liberian Dollars are worth $0.32 US.

Bub666
13-Sep-2008, 01:19 AM
Has anyone else seen an advertisment on TV for some sort of $20.00 coin 9/11 commemorative coin? Has an image of the twin towers on a "silver" facsimile of a bill which has "9" and "11" which, they explain, adds up to "20"

Yeah,they started promoting that a few months ago.

brer
13-Sep-2008, 10:58 PM
My feelings about 9/11 are different than most.

A. We have been involving ourselves in the moslem world since the thirties. The death toll from our involvment ranks quite likely in the millions on their side. If you keep shoving your hand in a bee's nest, is it not expected that you will eventually be stung?

B. The government had knowledge of the bombers. The visas that they used were provided by our government using other than normal means. The government recieved reports about suspicious middle easterners going to flight school multiple times including from one of their own special agents.

I am in the camp that the actions were caused by the saudi bombers, but that our government had knowledge of it ahead of time and chose to allow it to happen for it's own political ends.

Bub666
14-Sep-2008, 01:29 AM
My feelings about 9/11 are different than most.

A. We have been involving ourselves in the moslem world since the thirties. The death toll from our involvment ranks quite likely in the millions on their side. If you keep shoving your hand in a bee's nest, is it not expected that you will eventually be stung?

B. The government had knowledge of the bombers. The visas that they used were provided by our government using other than normal means. The government recieved reports about suspicious middle easterners going to flight school multiple times including from one of their own special agents.

I am in the camp that the actions were caused by the saudi bombers, but that our government had knowledge of it ahead of time and chose to allow it to happen for it's own political ends.

:confused:

Arcades057
14-Sep-2008, 03:03 AM
Those of you who are talking about cashing in on 9/11, if you remember correctly, the US "cashed in" on 12/7/41 and the Jews are "cashing in" on the holocaust.

Sometimes things happen that MUST be avenged; things like 9/11 or the Pearl Harbor attacks or the Holocaust (never again; remember that?) Constantly bringing up the tragedy is necessary, as most of the people in the US a) think the WTCs were in some other country probably, or b) think we're the bad guys anyway and we deserved it, or that we planned it.

So every year on 9/11 we are reminded. Some of us, myself included, don't need any aid in remembering, but I guess others need to be reminded why we are fighting the war on terror; they actually DID attack us one day in September.

Bub666
14-Sep-2008, 03:04 AM
Those of you who are talking about cashing in on 9/11, if you remember correctly, the US "cashed in" on 12/7/41 and the Jews are "cashing in" on the holocaust.

Sometimes things happen that MUST be avenged; things like 9/11 or the Pearl Harbor attacks or the Holocaust (never again; remember that?) Constantly bringing up the tragedy is necessary, as most of the people in the US a) think the WTCs were in some other country probably, or b) think we're the bad guys anyway and we deserved it, or that we planned it.

So every year on 9/11 we are reminded. Some of us, myself included, don't need any aid in remembering, but I guess others need to be reminded why we are fighting the war on terror; they actually DID attack us one day in September.

I agree 100%.

brer
14-Sep-2008, 06:39 AM
bub666

Aint looked much at what happened, have you?

:rolleyes:

Chic Freak
14-Sep-2008, 07:09 AM

There is evidence that they were told it was going to happen ahead of time, so to my thinking they either:

a) didn't believe it
b) believed it but couldn't stop it
c) believed it but didn't try to stop it

I'm not sure which I think is the most likely though.

How do you mean?

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2008, 10:55 AM
As for possible prior knowledge, I'd sooner think arrogant "pfft, that won't happen to us" ignorance ... AS WELL AS (importantly) - a series of failures in security and paying attention across various aspects of society involved that day, as in security at the airports, not having the cockpits properly secured pre-emptively long ago "just incase" and so on.

Chic Freak
14-Sep-2008, 04:35 PM
As for possible prior knowledge, I'd sooner think arrogant "pfft, that won't happen to us" ignorance ... AS WELL AS (importantly) - a series of failures in security and paying attention across various aspects of society involved that day, as in security at the airports, not having the cockpits properly secured pre-emptively long ago "just incase" and so on.

Aye, that seems the most likely... I've heard that American airport security used to be a bit of a joke.

MikePizzoff
14-Sep-2008, 04:37 PM
the Jews are "cashing in" on the holocaust.

I don't think I've ever seen a sweater with a gaudy design of a concentration camp with some corny slogan sprawled across it in sparkling letters.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the Jews cashing-in on it the way that some are doing with this.

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2008, 04:43 PM
Aye, that seems the most likely... I've heard that American airport security used to be a bit of a joke.
That's the impression I've gotten too, and that's certainly where the plot could have been stopped entirely - if their knives had been found, they'd have been confiscated and/or the culprits would have been arrested/detained/whatever.

Also - it just makes sense to have the cockpit like a fortress, if a bad guy gets in there, everybody's f*cked - it's odd how that wasn't common sense from the early days of aviation.

Kaos
14-Sep-2008, 11:45 PM
Thread closed as it became a slippery slide into kookish conspiracy inanity.