PDA

View Full Version : Ready to feel dwarfed?

Arcades057
14-Sep-2008, 02:43 AM
http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/1996/01/images/a/formats/large_web.jpg

One peek into a small part of the sky, one giant leap back in time. The Hubble telescope has provided mankind's deepest, most detailed visible view of the universe.

Representing a narrow "keyhole" view stretching to the visible horizon of the universe, the Hubble Deep Field image covers a speck of the sky only about the width of a dime 75 feet away. Though the field is a very small sample of the heavens, it is considered representative of the typical distribution of galaxies in space, because the universe, statistically, looks largely the same in all directions. Gazing into this small field, Hubble uncovered a bewildering assortment of at least 1,500galaxies at various stages of evolution.
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/1996/01

How can anyone seeing that view still believe that we are the only ones out there? That is one tiny spot in space, giving a view of 1500 galaxies. :stunned:

Bub666
14-Sep-2008, 02:58 AM
That is so cool.

Chic Freak
14-Sep-2008, 07:20 AM
Wow, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

axlish
14-Sep-2008, 08:52 AM
How can anyone seeing that view still believe that we are the only ones out there? That is one tiny spot in space, giving a view of 1500 galaxies. :stunned:

Yeah, but we are the best!

Tricky
14-Sep-2008, 10:41 AM
maybe all that,us included,exists in a single drop of water in some other huge world,and to them we're the size of atoms,imagine that!could pop your head thinking about it!:stunned:

Danny
14-Sep-2008, 12:42 PM
maybe all that,us included,exists in a single drop of water in some other huge world,and to them we're the size of atoms,imagine that!could pop your head thinking about it!:stunned:

personally i blame men in black for that when were blatantly the atoms of a purple blade on grass on the back of a giant space turtle.

mista_mo
14-Sep-2008, 12:55 PM
wat if we're all simply living in the pubic hair of a giant space zombie?

MaximusIncredulous
14-Sep-2008, 01:57 PM

I'll believe 'em when I see 'em.

Cody
14-Sep-2008, 02:03 PM
damn thats intense. i've been really getting into space now and this makes me hard

brer
14-Sep-2008, 04:14 PM
Coma Bernice?

MikePizzoff
14-Sep-2008, 04:41 PM
This is crazy. Imagine if the telescope caught the collapse of one of those galaxies? What an awesome picture that'd be!

Chic Freak
14-Sep-2008, 04:42 PM
Coma Bernice?

What now?

Bub666
15-Sep-2008, 01:43 AM
This is crazy. Imagine if the telescope caught the collapse of one of those galaxies? What an awesome picture that'd be!

That would be a cool picture.

brer
15-Sep-2008, 10:41 AM
Coma Bernice is one of the names of a large cluster of galaxies a bit west of leo. While the galaxies are pretty distant, there are a whole slew of them there.

Galaxies are cool as hell to look at if you have a decent scope. But until you get one over eight inches or so, there are only a few that have any detail.

The andromeda galaxy doesnt show much detail because of its brightness, ie it is the only extragalactic object visible with the naked eye. The pinwheel galaxy on the other side of the constellation of andromeda is very dim, pegasus galaxy if I remember right. These are the best ones to look for with a small scope.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Sep-2008, 11:06 AM
Nice :thumbsup:

AcesandEights
15-Sep-2008, 02:04 PM
I know so little about astronomy, but I know what I think is beautiful. Awesome picture. :)

bassman
15-Sep-2008, 02:25 PM
:eek: Amazing. Just friggin amazing.

Makes me think of Hitchhikers Guide...

"Space is big. REALLY big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.":)