PDA

View Full Version : cyclone is as cyclone does...

Mike70
16-Sep-2008, 04:54 PM
or rather a sub-tropical cyclone, which is what they are calling the juggernaut that blew through southwest ohio sunday and left 1.2 million people (including me) without power.

the tree in my backyard is toast. sounded like a shotgun when it went too. at least it didn't hit my house. the tree in my front yard is done for too. it was slightly smaller than the one in the back. thanks to it, i am minus a mailbox.

i went outside after it was over and there were parts of trees, signs, and pieces of roof and shingles all over. i just remember looking at it and thinking, " i hope none of that is from my roof."

i still don't have power (writing this from work), going on 3 days now, thankfully we stay prepared for this sort of thing and other than being with electricity at home, it was pretty much smooth sailing. our water is heated by gas and it has been nice to actually be able to take a shower and shave in hot water.

i keep my car's gas tank filled up, so i can't help but chuckle as i drive on by these huge gas lines that have sprung up.

oxford looked like it had been hit by a bomb after it was all over. i don't think i've ever seen so many trees blown over or power lines down. nor do i think i've ever heard the wind blow so hard, for so long.

it was interesting.

bassman
16-Sep-2008, 05:00 PM
Good to hear everything's okay for you.

About 5 - 10 years back a hurricane came through Georgia(I think it was called Opal..?) and took out EVERY tree in our yard. This was like...9 HUGE palm trees that were very close to the house. By some stroke of luck, they all fell the same way and barely missed the house. It was a crazy experience, though. So I can imagine what it's like for ya...

AcesandEights
16-Sep-2008, 05:13 PM
Well, you're safe and that's the most important thing, but I did hear from some people I know that they lost power from that same storm system. Extended losses of electrical just plain sucks, so I hope that'll be taken care of soon.

My best wishes to you and your neighbors, Scip!

major jay
16-Sep-2008, 07:56 PM
There are still a lot of power outages around Pittsburgh too.
I imagine this is why slickwilly hasn't posted. Living just north of Houston he had to get hammered pretty bad.

darth los
16-Sep-2008, 08:01 PM
or rather a sub-tropical cyclone, which is what they are calling the juggernaut that blew through southwest ohio sunday and left 1.2 million people (including me) without power.

the tree in my backyard is toast. sounded like a shotgun when it went too. at least it didn't hit my house. the tree in my front yard is done for too. it was slightly smaller than the one in the back. thanks to it, i am minus a mailbox.

i went outside after it was over and there were parts of trees, signs, and pieces of roof and shingles all over. i just remember looking at it and thinking, " i hope none of that is from my roof."

i still don't have power (writing this from work), going on 3 days now, thankfully we stay prepared for this sort of thing and other than being with electricity at home, it was pretty much smooth sailing. our water is heated by gas and it has been nice to actually be able to take a shower and shave in hot water.

i keep my car's gas tank filled up, so i can't help but chuckle as i drive on by these huge gas lines that have sprung up.

oxford looked like it had been hit by a bomb after it was all over. i don't think i've ever seen so many trees blown over or power lines down. nor do i think i've ever heard the wind blow so hard, for so long.

it was interesting.

Well, thank God you and your family are o.k.

I can only imagine that the monetary cost must be exorbitant.

Mike70
16-Sep-2008, 08:29 PM
thanks for the kind words folks.

all in all there are much worse things that could happen. for instance, finding yourself locked in a hotel room with megan fox and nothing but a bottle of chocolate syrup, only to find out that the syrup is low fat. that'd be bummersville for sure.

Bub666
17-Sep-2008, 03:19 AM
At least you and your family are alive,thats the important thing.