PDA

View Full Version : First zombie movie ever watched.

horrormad
17-Sep-2008, 07:56 AM
The first zombie movie I ever watched was Dawn of the dead I think It was a long time ago It has been my Fave zombie film since I 1st watched It and It will always be.

what was the 1st zombie film you ever watched.

clanglee
17-Sep-2008, 08:35 AM
I will quote myself from another old thread to answer this. . .

I was about 8 years old, And my parents were having one of their beer and daquari nights. "Dawn of the Dead" was on HBO, and they were gonna let me stay up and watch it (alchohol can have that effect on parental skills). Also, My mother always loved horror movies, so she was as lax about them, as I am to my daughter. (she is getting to like horror movies as well) I watched all the way until Miguelito bites the woman on the stairs, and ran from the room in fear. My parents found the whole experience wholly amusing. Instead of going to bed tho, I sat on the stairs out of my parent's sight, and watched the whole movie.

I had nightmares for months

Bub666
17-Sep-2008, 12:11 PM
The first zombie movie I ever watched was Return of the Living Dead 2.

bassman
17-Sep-2008, 12:16 PM
As stated in earlier threads on this topic....I saw Night on the tube throughout childhood, but Day was the first one I saw on video and made me an addict for Romero's films. Not really much of a zombie film fan. Mostly just Romero's.

Neil
17-Sep-2008, 12:54 PM
The first zombie movie I ever watched was Dawn of the dead I think It was a long time ago It has been my Fave zombie film since I 1st watched It and It will always be.

Same for me... It was the first video I ever hired (from a video store)... What a standard to set :)

capncnut
17-Sep-2008, 01:37 PM
Same for me... It was the first video I ever hired (from a video store)... What a standard to set :)
Again, same for me. First zombie film and first video rental. Actually, when my mother bought our first VHS player, we went to some market and got Flash Gordon ('cos I was mad about the film). But the first rental was Dawn - I had some horror book which gave it 10/10 and described how gruesome it was. Well, the rental was supposed to be for one night but we didn't give it back until 2 weeks. After we settled up, the video dude just let us keep it.

I kept the Intervision (http://members.lycos.co.uk/diddle69/Zombies%20dawn%20of%20the%20dead.htm) video of Dawn for many years until I acquired a mint copy and gave the old one to a pal recently.

EvilNed
17-Sep-2008, 01:47 PM
I think it must have been Braindead. My friend had a bootleg of it or something, and I watched it because he praised it so. I think he was the one who introduced me to horror films, altough my memory ain't the best.

horrormad
17-Sep-2008, 01:48 PM
I remember renting the intervision version from a local video shop I watched it with my father.

tkane18
17-Sep-2008, 06:13 PM
I remember watching Night on our small black and white TV in the early 70's.

This is how my face looked when I watched it -> :eek:

darth los
17-Sep-2008, 06:20 PM
Day of the dead -86'

I was a whole 8 years old at the time. Ah, good times.

SRP76
17-Sep-2008, 06:42 PM
I think it was Dawn. That was definitely the first Romero movie I saw. I may have seen one of the crappy knockoff zombie flicks before that, though; can't remember.

major jay
17-Sep-2008, 08:49 PM
It was Night for me. When they showed it on local TV they blacked out the rescue station names because they were worried people would think it was real. (I live around Pittsburgh)

DjfunkmasterG
17-Sep-2008, 09:12 PM
DAWN of the DEAD for me

dracenstein
17-Sep-2008, 09:38 PM
Zombie Flesh Eaters.

Doc
17-Sep-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm embarresd to say but,.......Resident Evil.:shifty: I use to think it was "cool" back then like 6 or 7 years ago but, seeing it again I know see it for what it is. Although it does hold a little special place in my heart. For the following reasons:

1) Well it was my first zombie film obviously.

2) It actually made me seek out more zed films.( Never found any for 5 years)

3) After seeing the film it wasn't after 6 years later that I realized that I have become a zed fan.

Oh and 4. When I finally did find zed films which were actually the remakes of Night and Dawn(I didn't know at the time) it made me want to go to the net to research and find more zed films which, is when I also figured out that the remakes were well...remakes. At first I was greatly confused til I saw Land of the Dead(which I liked at the time) and tried to learn more about it on the net which led me to find out about GAR. I read anything I could on him and it was then I figured out about the original trilogy and was simply fasinated by them. Then after reading about them I just knew I simply had to have them.

I remember going to youtube to search for scenes and trailers and what I found made me go like this at first-:confused::eek::stunned: It just shocked me. By then I was extremely hyped for them and just had to have them.:hyper:

MoonSylver
17-Sep-2008, 10:22 PM
NOTLD '68 back in about '83? ON basic cable for Halloween. I was still cutting my horror teeth back then, & it just blew me away. The ending left me numb with disbelief. As soon as we got a VCR & I started working my way through the horror section I HAD to get Dawn & Day. Then I was even MORE blown away!;)

Danny
17-Sep-2008, 11:11 PM
the serpent and the rainbow.

oh yeah, i whent there.:cool:

i only saw night a few years back, 2003 maybe, i was in my room, just finished up my blueprints for my shop class coursework and noticed it was on bbc2 at 1am, i thought, ill see why this is held in so much regard, long story short i understood why afterwards.
even then i wanted to make movies so always watched, at the back of my mind, the flick in an analytical matter and the whole ending portion had me gobsmacked and thats why i love that damn movie.

tju1973
18-Sep-2008, 01:43 AM
Return of the Living Dead--- we went to see Day, but it only showed on the late night viewing (UA Cinema 2)-- saw Return and loved it-- still do--

Of course George was and is better than the Russo crud, but Return "got me into it"-- so to speak..
:)

Again, same for me. First zombie film and first video rental. Actually, when my mother bought our first VHS player, we went to some market and got Flash Gordon ('cos I was mad about the film). But the first rental was Dawn - I had some horror book which gave it 10/10 and described how gruesome it was. Well, the rental was supposed to be for one night but we didn't give it back until 2 weeks. After we settled up, the video dude just let us keep it.

I kept the Intervision (http://members.lycos.co.uk/diddle69/Zombies%20dawn%20of%20the%20dead.htm) video of Dawn for many years until I acquired a mint copy and gave the old one to a pal recently.

"GO FLASH GO..GO FLASH GO"..

love that flick--PLUS Queen FN rocked it hard soundtrack-wise...

:D

Day of the dead -86'

I was a whole 8 years old at the time. Ah, good times.

Ah yes//I saw Night 86 on opening weekend--

Me and my cousin were 2 of about 6 people in the room,.

Still love it though, maybe more than the original..

I SAID MAYBE!!!

Still loved the flick though..

:skull:

sandrock74
18-Sep-2008, 01:56 AM
My first zombie film......it's been awhile. I think it was Zombie Lake. I was pretty young and it was on the Creature Double Feature on a Saturday afternoon.
I graduated to Romero's films a bit later.

FoodFight
18-Sep-2008, 02:14 AM
Night. It was '77 or '78 and our class was supposed to vote for an end-of-year movie. Of course Night wasn't on the list, but we collaborated to write it in on the ballot. The teachers objected and re-issed ballots. We wrote it in again and the staff relented. VICTORY FOR THE 12-YEAR-OLDS!

tju1973
18-Sep-2008, 02:18 AM
My first zombie film......it's been awhile. I think it was Zombie Lake. I was pretty young and it was on the Creature Double Feature on a Saturday afternoon.
I graduated to Romero's films a bit later.

Oh crap-- I was wrong--

Mine was actually "Shockwaves" on a local station when I was in like 5th grade--

Bought the Blue Underground release of it a few years ago-- still put it in from time to time...

Publius
18-Sep-2008, 05:27 PM
Night '68 was my first. Return of the Living Dead was my second. Both on TV. When Return came out, my grandmother was working in advertising at Orion Pictures and gave me and my brother Return t-shirts to wear as pajamas. Great idea for 5 and 7 year olds. Sweet dreams, grandsons! ;)

darth los
18-Sep-2008, 05:57 PM
Makes me wonder what effect it would have on someone watching a zombie movie for the first time that was not from GAR vs. one that was. I'd love to see how it affected their view of the genre if at all.

Mutineer
18-Sep-2008, 06:09 PM
Night of the Living Dead

About 8 years old I think ? On Halloween night.

I was in awe.

darth los
18-Sep-2008, 06:36 PM
Night of the Living Dead

About 8 years old I think ? On Halloween night.

I was in awe.

I think all of us where with whatever film of the trilogy we saw. They had the ability to suck you into that world for a couple of hours and show us something that we never saw before. Particularly at that age.

Bruiser235
18-Sep-2008, 10:12 PM
Probably Return of the Living Dead. I remember my dad used to fast forward through all the "gratuitious" nudity. Talk about cutting out the best part.

Dillinger
18-Sep-2008, 10:20 PM
Either The Return of the Living Dead or Day of the Dead. I went to the drive-in in Cross Timbers, MO to see Day of the Dead, but for the life of me, I can't remember if I rented The Return on VHS first. Night of the Living Dead is in the mix too. I'd say in 85-86ish is probably when really became a fan of zombies.

The Loner
18-Sep-2008, 11:40 PM
The first Zombie movie I watched was "Night of the Living Dead 68" back in 1991. It was actually on A&E....I'll never forget it..was waiting for one of my buddies to come over and I caught this black and white movie...being a 14 year old curious kid, I decided to give it a shot..since then I've been hooked...my buddy and I watched the movie and we were just blown away...a true classic...now I own them all...and even downloaded the "Goblin" - Zombi soundtrack on my I-pod....

lullubelle
20-Sep-2008, 12:48 AM
Original dawn, I was about 12 after that my sisters and I played being trapped in mall, only in my version of Dawn, Roger does not die, he's my boyfriend:D:D:D:D

RustyHicks
20-Sep-2008, 04:29 PM
Dawn of the dead, in 1984, I was 12,
it freaked me out and yet I couldn't stop
watching it. Been a fan ever since.

Fulcifan91
22-Sep-2008, 03:03 PM
Zombie Flesh Eaters.

Right here with you. Fantastic first zombie movie to see, It was probably my first (real) horror film as well. I think I might have been about 12? Either way, one of my first, and one of my favorites no doubt.

andrewkempster
25-Sep-2008, 08:46 AM
My first movie was Dawn Of The Dead - I snuck into the airing cupboard on the upstairs landing to see what my Christmas presents were (for the first and LAST time, I promise). One of the videos was Dawn, on VHS. Nice gift for a ten year old, I know!

The box itself scared the crap out of me. Turned out to be one of my fave films of all time. Have watched it so many times I couldn't give a number, and have since fallen in love with all of them (well, Diary..........).

My girlfriend was wonderful enough to buy me Night, Dawn, Day and the Dawn remake for my birthday.

Hi, by the way. First post EVER.

Andrew

Bunker65
25-Sep-2008, 04:00 PM
The first was the original Night Of The Living Dead. Don't remember the exact year but it was probably 1972 or 1973 when I saw it. I was lucky enough to see the first midnight showing of Dawn Of The Dead in NYC in 1978 too :). That is something I will never forget :cool:.

horrormad
25-Sep-2008, 05:14 PM
I was lucky enough to see the first midnight showing of Dawn Of The Dead in NYC in 1978 too :). That is something I will never forget :cool:.

Cool mate :)

Thorn
26-Sep-2008, 06:15 PM
The original night of the living dead, I saw it at a drive in with my parents. It was part of a double feature. I was supposed to watch the kid friendly first offering and go to sleep for the second.

I didn't, I pretended to be asleep while watching the entire movie from under my blanket. I had reoccurring nightmares well into my adult life.
:stunned:

DawnGirl27
26-Sep-2008, 07:25 PM
The original Night of the Living Dead for me, as well, but not until about 1990.
I grew up in the country, where we had 5 channels, and the little town's video store closest to us was housed in the "Mercantile" (which also had a laundromat, grocery store, post office, and hair salon). It didn't have a huge selection, and definately nothing very scary (I'm sure the owners, who were in their 50's made sure not to put out anything too controversial), so wasn't until '90 that I saw my first zombie flick. I loved it, plain and simple, and wanted more. All those previous years wasted.....but the wait was entirely worth it! :D

millsaps05
26-Sep-2008, 07:46 PM
The first one I ever watched was the NOTLD remake. I enjoyed it but it didn't really make a huge impact on me. The movie that really grabbed me and made me love Zombie movies was Dawn '78. I watched it on VHS while house sitting for a guy (I was 17). I always enjoyed horror movies, but unitl then I didn't have a real love for Z movies. I think the scope of the movie is what really made an impact on me. NOTLD was confined to the farmhouse. You heard about a large "outbreak", but didn't really see it. However, in Dawn you got a sense of the scope of the problem and you also got to see the deterioration of society as well. I have been hooked on Zombie movies ever since.

3pidemiC
26-Sep-2008, 08:58 PM
The first one I watched was the original Night. My dad made me and my brothers watch it after coming home from trick-or-treating many years ago on Halloween. He was making all sorts of funny commentary during it so it was hard to take it seriously. I really didn't watch many more until I saw Day of the Dead a few years later.

Suicycho
28-Sep-2008, 01:28 AM
Dawn of the Dead.

I was a kid, at that particular time in life when things have a major impact on you. Saw Dawn and it blew my ****ing mind!!! It...did something to me. I haven't been the same ever since.

slickwilly13
28-Sep-2008, 01:39 AM
I think I watched Return of the Living Dead first on cable, then some short time after watched Night '68 and Day 2 hrs later on USA Network.

ProfessorChaos
29-Sep-2008, 10:15 PM
Night of the Living Dead (original) was the first zed film I saw. I was pretty young...when they are interviewing the doctor on television talking about a "cadaver at the lab attempting to move its trunk", i thought they were referring to a zombie elephant.:lol:

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 01:04 AM
Right here with you. Fantastic first zombie movie to see, It was probably my first (real) horror film as well. I think I might have been about 12? Either way, one of my first, and one of my favorites no doubt.

The only true answer is Day of the Dead. :cool: