PDA

View Full Version : Best line in a video game ever...?

SymphonicX
21-Sep-2008, 06:45 PM
Ever played a game where a line of dialogue or something has stuck with you, over a period of time? I've certainly played a lot of games where there's such an amazing script that certain bits of dialogue keep running in my head over and over...

my ultimate, ultimate spoken moment from any video game is Call of Duty 2...in the first level you end up defending a small building with your russian comrades from the Nazis, it's the first time you get a sniper rifle...

"HOLD THE LINE COMRADES, DO NOT LET THEM PASS! WAIT TIL THEY GET CLOSE....THIS IS IT, FOR THE SOVIET UNION, AND FOR YOUR GLORIOUS MOTHERLAND.....GET READY!!!!"

Also, a few others that tickled me or struck me in a certain way:

Burn Cycle: "When God was crapping stupidity he dropped a ****load on you!"

Bioshock "powerful phrase isn't it? 'Would you kindly...?'"

halo 3: "thought I'd shoot my way out, mix it up a little"

GoW: "Did you hear that?" ...."it was the wind"...."yeah right, when did the wind ever say "HOSTILES" to you?"

MikePizzoff
21-Sep-2008, 09:11 PM
"Blood... I hope this is not Chris' blood."

That has been stuck in my head since the very first time I played Resident Evil, 11 years ago.

acealive1
21-Sep-2008, 10:04 PM
"the name is tommy vercetti!"

"stiffs! you're all stiffs!!"

:lol::lol:

Tricky
21-Sep-2008, 10:26 PM
Bh_oH2htQhk

the bit on that clip when the major starts shouting "what it the name of general patton is that f*cking thing?" "what about you major?" "im a marine son!il walk on water if i have to!now get off my f*cking island while i draw its fire!!"
surely one of the greatest scenes ever to come out of a game!

Solid snake had some very good lines in metal gear solid on the PS1 as well,some of it was quite touching actually!

capncnut
21-Sep-2008, 10:31 PM
Too many to mention but everytime an NPC says something important, I'm too busy battering f**k out of some boss.

Craig
21-Sep-2008, 11:52 PM
206BeQNBzhM
'Paris in the fall...' ooh makes my stomach feel funny and my hairs stand on end. The nostalgia I associate with the first two Broken Sword games is without a doubt greater than any other. There's so many great lines of dialogue in these games as well... all great but too many to remember them all.

http://art3.server06.sheezyart.com/image/150/1501999.png

Also for a couple of years now I've been subconciously repeating Russian and German phrases from Red Orchestra.

Mike70
22-Sep-2008, 12:04 AM
the original mercenaries game:

when the black character blows something up he'd do an ahnuld impersonation and yell, "look at me, i'm the governor!"

Skippy911sc
22-Sep-2008, 12:44 AM
"All their base, now belong to us"

:D

Bub666
22-Sep-2008, 01:17 AM
"Blood... I hope this is not Chris' blood."

That has been stuck in my head since the very first time I played Resident Evil, 11 years ago.

That is my favorite line from a video game.

MikePizzoff
22-Sep-2008, 01:34 AM
"All their base, now belong to us"

All YOUR* base ARE* belong to us :D

411 y0u2 8453 423 8310n6 70 u5. :stunned::hyper:

SRP76
22-Sep-2008, 04:48 AM
"At least I've set foot in a school, you dumb bastard!" - Jessica de Alkirk, Lunar: Silver Star Story

PJoseph
22-Sep-2008, 05:11 AM
(spoken VERY slowly)

"huh?"

- From every Silent Hill game.

pJ

Danny
22-Sep-2008, 07:50 AM
the best has and always will be

"wo-hoah!, you were almost a jill sandwich!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLO-

NOT FUNNY.

capncnut
22-Sep-2008, 01:12 PM
From Shenmue:

"Try my homemade pickles, they're guaranteed to make you happy." ~Tom Johnson

Danny
22-Sep-2008, 06:20 PM
"how bout trying lucky hit?"

p2501
28-Sep-2008, 08:58 AM
Halo chatter always does it for me. my favorite being from the first one, when one of the command sargents are providing cover against superior numbers.

"Ok people we've go company coming, lets set the table".

in context it's absolutely badass.

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2008, 09:30 AM
I love this one from Battlefield: Bad Company single player:

After you get shot badly:

"How many fingers.....do you have left?"

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2008, 10:41 AM
I love this one from Battlefield: Bad Company single player:

After you get shot badly:

"How many fingers.....do you have left?"
hehe, that game has some great dialogue between Haggard and Sweetwater, and their little skits in the background whilst sarge is on the radio are great little bits of humour.

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2008, 10:53 AM
hehe, that game has some great dialogue between Haggard and Sweetwater, and their little skits in the background whilst sarge is on the radio are great little bits of humour.

Actually...

I dunno...maybe I'm expecting another Cod4...y'know? Cos I wasn't bowled over by that stuff at all, aside from that one line which made me laugh, I thought the "comedy" was completely misplaced in the middle of firefights, and intense wars. For all the cool destruction and devastation that you can cause in the game, the constant use of "comedy" (not inverted commas) throughout made me cringe a lot of the time....case in point: "this is bad, real bad" - "as bad as Kris Kristofferson's third album?"..."no...worse..."...I just though it was really misplaced, and didn't laugh at all really...they could've dumped all of that stuff, added a score beyond a country and western theme and added some intensity and it would have rivalled that of Cod4, but it took a totally different and childish direction.

I guess it was to differentiate between BFBC and COD4, as it already shares a lot of similarities....but I was just screaming out for a cinematic, intense experience and was instead met with a lot of bad comedy which didn't make me chuckle really...aside from that one line...

I dunno...I felt the single player was well tacked on...a shame really...but that's just my opinion in all it's humbleness, I'm glad it struck a note with you :)

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2008, 04:48 PM
But Bad Company isn't supposed to be serious, it's supposed to be a videogame equivalent of Kelley's Heroes...:rockbrow:

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2008, 05:18 PM
But Bad Company isn't supposed to be serious, it's supposed to be a videogame equivalent of Kelley's Heroes...:rockbrow:

yeah I think you're right - I'm defo in the wrong "mode" when playing the single player...

capncnut
28-Sep-2008, 05:55 PM
"Best not to listen to him Torque. Floyd's a degenerate parasite, they shoulda slapped the cuffs on him coming out of his mama's c**t!" ~The Suffering

SymphonicX
28-Sep-2008, 06:10 PM
(amidst deafening machine gun fire)

"The guns aren't here!!"
"WHAT??!"
"THE GUNS AREN'T HERE!!!! THE KRAUTS MUST HAVE MOVED THEM SOMEPLACE ELSE!"
"WE CAN'T STAY HERE WE'RE SITTING DUCKS!!!"

- COD2

acealive1
28-Sep-2008, 07:45 PM
"hola mortuary meat"

GTA vice city stories

MinionZombie
28-Sep-2008, 09:57 PM
(amidst deafening machine gun fire)

"The guns aren't here!!"
"WHAT??!"
"THE GUNS AREN'T HERE!!!! THE KRAUTS MUST HAVE MOVED THEM SOMEPLACE ELSE!"
"WE CAN'T STAY HERE WE'RE SITTING DUCKS!!!"

- COD2
Funny you should mention that specific quote, that's one of my favourite exchanges in COD2 as well ... not sure why, but it always stuck with me. I must replay COD2 again some time actually. That was a quality game.

SymphonicX
29-Sep-2008, 11:30 AM
COd2 is one of my favourite games of all time...I think that scene is powerful because it feels so damn real...its not particularly spectacular in what's being said but the way it's executed is plain awesomness!

slickwilly13
17-Oct-2008, 07:26 PM
"If Astral dies, it doesn't matter, cause he's old anyways." Shining Force II, Sega Genesis/Megadrive

SymphonicX
18-Oct-2008, 02:26 PM
From saints row 1 (something to this effect)

"You don't look like you can handle yourself, but I don't look like I've got an 8 inch c0ck so I guess we're all full of surprises..."

MinionZombie
18-Oct-2008, 06:18 PM
From saints row 1 (something to this effect)

"You don't look like you can handle yourself, but I don't look like I've got an 8 inch c0ck so I guess we're all full of surprises..."
:lol:

That's pretty good, speaking of SR - I haven't played any SR2 today! :eek: There's simply too must entertainment to peruse!!

SymphonicX
18-Oct-2008, 07:06 PM
yeah best line in that game...by far....

got sr2 in my glovebox...cant play til Monday!! :(

darth los
26-Oct-2008, 04:36 AM
"It might be handy, if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you."

:cool:

ProfessorChaos
26-Oct-2008, 08:12 AM
Random civilian walking around San Andreas:
"Weed, money, same difference."

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2008, 11:32 AM
One on SR2 I rather liked was something like, if memory serves, "so that's what I've been missing when I've been watching anime at home all day" - after you've successfully double-thumb-sticked your lady in the Ho-Ing diversion. :D

horrormad
26-Oct-2008, 01:01 PM
Duke Nukem Lock & Load