PDA

View Full Version : Great optical illusion

Neil
22-Sep-2008, 03:33 PM
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2960/optical20illusionbf5.jpg

Kaos
22-Sep-2008, 03:56 PM
I didn't believe it until I put my fingers around the A and the B so that all I could see was the letter and the gray immediately around it. Sure enough it is the same shade. It is neat how our brains process the A as darker than be due to the relative difference in shading in the surrounding blocks.

Skippy911sc
22-Sep-2008, 05:49 PM
I saw this some time ago and copied the picture so I could use photoshop to sample both sections and see that there was NO difference...pretty cool!!

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2008, 06:30 PM
Wait ... ... I don't get it. :eek::shifty::dead::confused:

bassman
22-Sep-2008, 06:53 PM
Wait ... ... I don't get it. :eek::shifty::dead::confused:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one....

AcesandEights
22-Sep-2008, 07:00 PM
I have tried covering up both images and don't see the difference either...

Bassman, MZ...I think we're being had!!! :shifty:

EvilNed
22-Sep-2008, 07:10 PM
I put it into photoshop and deleted all squares but those two. and indeed, they are the same!

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, B is blatantly a different colour square to A, all I see is that the font colour of each letter corresponds to the box of the other box ... if that makes sense.

At least there's three of us, I was worried someone might have called me a numpty. :p

We demand proof!

capncnut
22-Sep-2008, 07:12 PM
Yup, they are the same colour. Like Kaos and Ned suggested, you have to remove everything around the two squares in question to see it.

Neil
22-Sep-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, B is blatantly a different colour square to A, all I see is that the font colour of each letter corresponds to the box of the other box ... if that makes sense.

At least there's three of us, I was worried someone might have called me a numpty. :p

We demand proof!

LOL! They ARE the same colour :)

Put them in Photo shop and use the pick up ink tool, you'll see they are the same RGB (colour).

AcesandEights
22-Sep-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm about to start burning people at the stake. I can't validate these specious claims right now with my work comp...

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2008, 07:34 PM
Ugh, after going to all the trouble of blocking off all outside sources beyond A and B, yeah, they're the same ... well, A might look a SMIDGE darker, but it was a palava to block the other blocks out without any proper software beyond MS Paint (not on my rig which has other software).

AcesandEights
22-Sep-2008, 07:52 PM
They got to MZ, as well...:shifty:

Neil
22-Sep-2008, 07:57 PM
Ugh, after going to all the trouble of blocking off all outside sources beyond A and B, yeah, they're the same ... well, A might look a SMIDGE darker, but it was a palava to block the other blocks out without any proper software beyond MS Paint (not on my rig which has other software).

Not a smidge, or any if about it... They are absolutely 100% the same colour :)

capncnut
22-Sep-2008, 08:02 PM
Here's (http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_proof.html) the proof.

Neil
22-Sep-2008, 08:11 PM
Here's (http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_proof.html) the proof.

From that same site... Here's another similar one... What a mind f***! http://web.mit.edu/persci/gaz/gaz-teaching/flash/koffka-movie.swf

clanglee
22-Sep-2008, 08:54 PM
Well that's pretty crazy. I had to cut two holes in a peice of paper and hold it up to the screen to believe it. . but yeah. . . it's crazy.

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh okay no smidge about it, lol ... at least that other thing, that SWF, that shows you it - but that one is PROPER crazy with the semi-circles floating around ... eyes are crazy things sometimes, eh?

*waits for Aces and Bassman to come after him with one of those Alien Bounty Hunter ice pick devices* ... yeah, I've been watching a LOT of X-Files recently.

Neil
22-Sep-2008, 09:45 PM
Well that's pretty crazy. I had to cut two holes in a peice of paper and hold it up to the screen to believe it. . but yeah. . . it's crazy.

LOL!!! Classic!

It is one of the best I've seen :)

axlish
22-Sep-2008, 11:05 PM
RE: The Koffka Ring...

When the ring is split, the colors appear identical to me, but they are saying that I should be seeing them as different colors.

When the shift happens, I do see different colors.

AcesandEights
22-Sep-2008, 11:26 PM
Aw jeez, what a load of work to confirm how undependable my eyes are :(

Neil
23-Sep-2008, 07:53 AM
RE: The Koffka Ring...

When the ring is split, the colors appear identical to me, but they are saying that I should be seeing them as different colors.

When the shift happens, I do see different colors.

Aha! So you are a psycho mentalist killer then!!

MinionZombie
23-Sep-2008, 09:47 AM
Aha! So you are a psycho mentalist killer then!!
I'm glad I saw the difference in rings now! :eek: