PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Thunder ... my thoughts...

MinionZombie
23-Sep-2008, 05:51 PM
And a little segway (or two) in amongst it all.

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/09/tropic-thunder-lads-i-and-x-files.html

bassman
23-Sep-2008, 06:10 PM
More laughs in Pineapple Express than Tropic Thunder? I would have to whole heartedly disagree with you on that, kind sir...

MinionZombie
23-Sep-2008, 06:23 PM
More laughs in Pineapple Express than Tropic Thunder? I would have to whole heartedly disagree with you on that, kind sir...
And I disagree with your disagreeing, good man. :)

A rare occasion we've actually disagreed on a movie. :p

Danny
23-Sep-2008, 06:44 PM
yeah i didnt laugh in pineapple express, it was like a drunk uncle dancing at a wedding and trying to be "hip and down with the kids", were as tropic thunder was the retarded cousin to austin powers, only with war flicks instead of spy movies and i pissed myself laughing throughout.

Tricky
23-Sep-2008, 07:35 PM
I needs to see tropic thunder!and woot for roflcopter in your review MZ :lol:

bassman
23-Sep-2008, 08:04 PM
You know....I think I would actually say that this scene alone make me laugh more than the entire film of Pineapple Express. And this isn't even one of the best scenes...

Ndpky1GCa0c&hl=en&fs=1

:lol: Man, I like TT. I'll definitely give PE another shot on DVD, but that film has left a bad taste in my mouth that I just can't shake...

acealive1
23-Sep-2008, 10:48 PM
im the dude playin a dude disguised as another dude!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Bub666
24-Sep-2008, 12:03 AM
I liked Tropic Thunder a lot more then I did Pineapple Express.I thought Tropic Thunder was a lot more funnier.

Danny
24-Sep-2008, 12:44 AM
"one of us, one of us, on of us!"

zombie04
24-Sep-2008, 04:42 AM
You know....I think I would actually say that this scene alone make me laugh more than the entire film of Pineapple Express. And this isn't even one of the best scenes...

I'd have to say this was the first big laugh of the movie for me, but that one's good too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7imoiUCCWY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7imoiUCCWY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MinionZombie
24-Sep-2008, 09:49 AM
TT had loads of good laughs in it, I just enjoyed Pineapple Express more consistently throughout ... the action in PE was always more comedy-action, whereas in TT the action was action-action and then it'd go back to comedy-comedy.

Fine by me, I rather enjoyed it all, but I found PE to be generally a bit more consistent in tone and with fewer dips, because I did feel at times that TT would stray a tad off mark here and there - it's hard to pin down, just the feeling I got - that said though, it was a really fun and entertaining movie and I'll definitely be seeing it again.

Pineapple Express is a deffo must-own on double disc extended la-dee-dah cut for me, for sure.

mista_mo
24-Sep-2008, 12:59 PM
Minion, you liking Pineapple Express more then Tropic Thunder is like going full retard. And you NEVER go full retard.

Fulcifan91
24-Sep-2008, 01:50 PM
I have to agree with Minion, PE seemed much more consistant, and TT although funny, was dissapointing to me, I dont know why.

MinionZombie
24-Sep-2008, 06:00 PM
I have to agree with Minion, PE seemed much more consistant, and TT although funny, was dissapointing to me, I dont know why.
*high five for consistency agreement*

That said, I still REALLY enjoyed TT, and want to see it again no doubt...I do wish it was a bit more scathing in its satire, whereas it goes for the more mainstream easy road on the satire - which while satisfying, it could have been MORE out there if they'd gone a little further with the humorous venom.

But it was still a quality flick, and RDJ was f*cking great in it - "I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude" is going to be one of THE lines in cinema of 2008 for me that's for sure.

Both are action comedies, but like I said, TT felt more split with those two genres (doing each one earnestly and very well, but the times when a mixture was needed sometimes punched below their ability if you understand my meaning) ... Pineapple Express was a very good mix of action and comedy, combining the two genres much more consistently than TT.

I'm sounding a bit like Neil now, constantly going on about one issue with a flick - I say again explicitly I loved Tropic Thunder ... ... I'm just saying that I, enjoyed Pineapple Express about 10 to 15 percent more, mainly due to the consistency and dedication to its intention.

Both flicks rocked balls. :cool:

Tricky
07-Oct-2008, 09:31 PM
Finally saw this tonight!i thought it was pretty darn funny!not quite the "hot shots" funny i was expecting,but i still liked it a lot :D
The girl i went with didnt get all the platoon/predator/apocalypse now references that i picked up on,but she enjoyed it too.I give it 7.5 out of 10!

Danny
07-Oct-2008, 09:46 PM
i think everyone can agree thunders credits were the more epic though, but they keep getting deleted off youtube, but thats the gotta be the oscar for best dance routine in a movie or something:lol:

bassman
06-Feb-2009, 02:58 PM
Bringing this thread back to life for a question.

I recently moved into the realm of Blu Ray and Tropic Thunder was one of the films I picked up. I never noticed it before, but the guy who controls the explosions and sticks with Nic Nolte through the flick is wearing a vest. The vest says "NOTLD 94" and then on the back it says Night of the Living Dead 3-D. 1994.

HERES (http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/41391/tropic-thunder/images/tropic-thunder-20080728005140484.html) a glimpse of the front and THIS (http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/41391/tropic-thunder/images/tropic-thunder-20080728005230687.html) is the back. NOTLD? 3D? 1994? Anyone else notice this or know what its about?

Danny
06-Feb-2009, 04:12 PM
Bringing this thread back to life for a question.

I recently moved into the realm of Blu Ray and Tropic Thunder was one of the films I picked up. I never noticed it before, but the guy who controls the explosions and sticks with Nic Nolte through the flick is wearing a vest. The vest says "NOTLD 94" and then on the back it says Night of the Living Dead 3-D. 1994.

HERES (http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/41391/tropic-thunder/images/tropic-thunder-20080728005140484.html) a glimpse of the front and THIS (http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/41391/tropic-thunder/images/tropic-thunder-20080728005230687.html) is the back. NOTLD? 3D? 1994? Anyone else notice this or know what its about?

oh aye, forgot about that one.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Feb-2009, 04:57 PM
Minion, you liking Pineapple Express more then Tropic Thunder is like going full retard. And you NEVER go full retard.

LMAO.

I agree on that. Pineapple Express can't hold a candle to Tropic Thunder. The only good thing about Pineapple was James Franco, he played that role perfectly.

Tropic Thunder was fantastic from start to finish.

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2009, 06:44 PM
What's that all about I wonder...

Perhaps some special event/screening happened and it's the original and someone did a random 3-D print of it? Clearly it's not the actual 3-D remake (which was awful by the way).

I must get Tropic Thunder Dir Cut on DVD sometime soon, but fuck off am I paying £17 for it.

bassman
09-Feb-2009, 12:26 PM
I must get Tropic Thunder Dir Cut on DVD sometime soon, but fuck off am I paying £17 for it.

Dude...it's worth it just for the commentary. As Downey Jr. says in the movie, he doesn't break character until he's done with the DVD commentary. It's quite funny.

MinionZombie
09-Feb-2009, 02:38 PM
Dude...it's worth it just for the commentary. As Downey Jr. says in the movie, he doesn't break character until he's done with the DVD commentary. It's quite funny.
Just ordered it earlier - will be looking forward to that commentary with RDJ, it's cool that he carries that from the movie into the real world. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it again, it's been a few months since I did (September I think), so aye.

clanglee
12-Feb-2009, 08:55 PM
Sorry so late to the party MZ, but I would like to throw my support behind your opinion for a change. :D I liked both movies, But Pinapple was just funnier to me. I just hit me on a base adolescent level I think. I spent almost the whole movie cracking up. TT was great, and funny, but it was kinda erratic and all over the place. You had to pay more attetion to notice the funny bits.

MinionZombie
12-Feb-2009, 09:14 PM
I got the Dir Cut of TT on DVD today, so I've been going through the extras today - and will re-watch the movie for the first time since seeing it in the cinema, so I'll see what I think about it again in a couple of days.

I always really liked the movie, but originally I found myself liking Pineapple Express more - that said, when I got PE on DVD a few weeks back, I didn't like it as much as I did in cinemas - but that often happens the second time round in such a different context, but watched it a third time and enjoyed it more than the second time ... perhaps the theatrical cut works better than the extended cut with Pineapple Express...but I still really dig that movie, I just enjoy that flick quite a bit - "you got killed by a Daewoo Lados!" :lol:

A great line from Danny McBride there - who also got a classic line in Tropic Thunder - "big ass titties!" when blowing some shit up. :D

In terms of DVD extras, Tropic Thunder wins ... sadly the Pineapple Express DVD was a bit lacking on that front - not for lack of them, just for quality - some were good or great, others were naff or just not funny.

With Tropic Thunder they were either informative, or interesting, or funny ... although, I didn't click with the whole "Rain of Madness" spoof extra anywhere near as much as I assume I was supposed to ... but the other stuff was spiffing, but I still have yet to see the deleted/extended/etc scenes, as well as the commentary...so that's something for later. :)

Re-watch of Tropic Thunder will probably be on Saturday night, will post my follow-up second viewing thoughts to TT when I do.

This all said, I loved both Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder ... when I first saw both though, I concluded that I personally thought PE was more consistent in its vision than TT, which was a bit scattered at times.

Will that view of mine remain - time will tell, except some thoughts this weekend. :cool:

MinionZombie
21-Feb-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, last weekend I re-watched Tropic Thunder ... twice (once with commentary - which was great by the way, very entertaining, RDJ FTW!)

Anyway, I probably stick by my thoughts about it from last year - TT isn't quite as biting as it could have been, and occasionally the action/story gets in the way of the jokes at times, and perhaps the over all vision is lost in amongst everything that's going on at times .... HOWEVER - it's rather ruddy funny, endlessly and easily quotable, has kick ass action (the movie-in-a-movie they're making is actually quite cool, despite it being an obvious send-up of course) and RDJ is just pure win.

I think my lulz for TT have increased a bit since I saw it in the cinema (where I rather enjoyed it too), and my lulz for Pineapple Express have perhaps diluted a smidge (I'll have to re-watch the theatrical cut though, because methinks the extended cut of PE isn't better than the theatrical).

That said, the extra stuff added into the Dir Cut of TT is mostly all enjoyable.

I can certainly say however, that the TT DVD is far better than the PE DVD, which was a mixed bag, whereas the TT DVD was mostly all spiffing.

So in the end, I love both movies.

And tonight I'm having some of the lads over to watch Tropic Thunder again. :cool: