PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead

darth los
29-Sep-2008, 02:24 PM
So I'm Sitting At home this weekend when company comes over. It's a saturday afternoon so you know that there's absolutely nothing on t.v. I start talking horror and it eventually turns to zombie movies. There were three guests and none of them had ever seen GAr'S films. So it's a no brainer, we've gotta see one. The only question is which one. Now this being their first romero experience I wanted to make it a memorable one.

My favorite film Is dawn but i can see how that can come off as cheesey with the clownish looking zombies and all. Also, the acting is not exactly top notch. The original night can come off as dated as well. So that leaves Day. And let me tell you they loved it. I never really realized how good a movie it is. To tell you the truth if I look at it objectively or as an outsider would I'd have to say that it'sthe best film. It's not cheesey, the acting is good and the effects are awesome. The storyline is serious, second to none and the film never feels like it drags.

So what do you guys think? Look at it and all it's components objectively and leave your sentimental feelings for the other films out of it. Which is the best film? Or better put put which film would you show people who are not into the genre in order to show the best it has to offer.

Bub666
29-Sep-2008, 02:35 PM
I have to go with Day.The acting is better,the special effects are better.The plot of the movie was great.Even the pacing of the movie was great.Overall it's the best out of all of Gar's zombie movies.In my opinion,it's the best zombie movie ever made.

Mike70
29-Sep-2008, 03:34 PM
day is far and away my fav of the bunch. it is also my second fav horror movie ever after rosemary's baby.

i think that day is a serious film- serious in tone and serious in execution. it is the only one of the original three that looks like a professionally done film from beginning to end. the zombie makeup and the effects certainly blow dawn right out of the water and hell, let's face it, they are better than most things being done today.

i agree with you darth, i'd never show someone who wasn't initiated into zombie movies dawn as a first film. the laughter that it can induce (mostly due to horrendous makeup) from people who don't get indy films of that period would probably be the end of their desire to see zombie flicks.

bassman
29-Sep-2008, 03:46 PM
I totally agree. Day is not only the best of the series from a technical standpoint, but it's also my personal favorite. Always has been. It's always the one I show to people first and they always like it.

This is why I still think that Day got a hard time when it was released. Everyone wanted Dawn of the Dead 2 instead of a new film....

darth los
29-Sep-2008, 03:54 PM
day is far and away my fav of the bunch. it is also my second fav horror movie ever after rosemary's baby.

i think that day is a serious film- serious in tone and serious in execution. it is the only one of the original three that looks like a professionally done film from beginning to end. the zombie makeup and the effects certainly blow dawn right out of the water and hell, let's face it, they are better than most things being done today.

i agree with you darth, i'd never show someone who wasn't initiated into zombie movies dawn as a first film. the laughter that it can induce (mostly due to horrendous makeup) from people who don't get indy films of that period would probably be the end of their desire to see zombie flicks.

I agree with you guys. It's crazy to think about the contempt this film used to get from the fanbase. It's turned out to be the best film,imo. Now if we're talking impact on pop culture that's a different question. But at the time Day came out the splatterfilm craze was in full swing and the public had already been introduced to zombies since 1968. It didn't have the impact NOTLD did with it's sheer shock value or the social commentary of dawn. As a kid dawn didn't bother me. It was 1989 so the effects weren't as outdated as they seem now. And as we all know virtually everything from our childhood has this magical quality to it.

I really couldn't imagine anybody else playing the chareacter's roles. Everyone seemed perfectly From the nutty Dr. Frankenstein to the incomparable , tyranical Rhodes. Furthermore, It didn't feel like the aformentioned characters were cliche or stereotypical. They seemed like real people at the breaking point. We talk about doc Frank being nutzo but Rhodes was equally as insane. You have to be really crazy to cold bloodedly do the things he did in that film.

MinionZombie
29-Sep-2008, 06:02 PM
For introducing a stranger to the world of GAR zed flicks, I too would go with Day, it's kind of like the shallow water end of the pool for newbies to dip their toe into, as it covers most of the required bases with the needed level of whatever, that newbies would need to judge something properly (i.e. "oh man, it's black and white - ghey", or "oh man, they've got flairs on, that's well homo" or any other equally MORONIC remarks :mad:)

So yeah, Day - covers all the bases.

SymphonicX
29-Sep-2008, 06:07 PM
nah i'd stick with Dawn, I'd only show it to people who could grasp that the budget wasn't big for Dawn and appreciate the sheer adacity of some of the stuff in there...Day is great, but it needs more to it, and also, Dawn fits perfectly in the story arc so it's understandable and doesn't leave you thinking "but how did things get this bad?"

MinionZombie
29-Sep-2008, 08:39 PM
nah i'd stick with Dawn, I'd only show it to people who could grasp that the budget wasn't big for Dawn and appreciate the sheer adacity of some of the stuff in there...Day is great, but it needs more to it, and also, Dawn fits perfectly in the story arc so it's understandable and doesn't leave you thinking "but how did things get this bad?"
Indeed ... I mean, Dawn is still my top of the saga ... but out of the "original trilogy", I'd have thought that Day would go down best all round, with the uneducated and quick-to-discriminate newbs.

3pidemiC
29-Sep-2008, 10:12 PM
It's easy how Day can be referred to as the "outsider" of the original trilogy, but really it just seems to get everything right. Definately may favorite of the 3.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 12:09 AM

For introducing a stranger to the world of GAR zed flicks, I too would go with Day, it's kind of like the shallow water end of the pool for newbies to dip their toe into, as it covers most of the required bases with the needed level of whatever, that newbies would need to judge something properly (i.e. "oh man, it's black and white - ghey", or "oh man, they've got flairs on, that's well homo" or any other equally MORONIC remarks :mad:)

So yeah, Day - covers all the bases.

There'so doubt that dawn is the best film. However, what technically does it do better than day? The answer is nothing. Day has the right mix of everything. It has gore for horror fans. Plenty of rounds being fired for action fans and last but not least it's a curse-a-thon for the jay and silent bob/superbad crowd.

It is truly a brilliant film. It's also a psychological thriller. It plays out like a twighlight zone episode. if you told me it was an episode of the outer limits or something i'd believe you.

I think that it's a much more believable scenario than four people holding up in a mall. I have great sentimental feelings for dawn but let's not let that get in the way of fact. day is atleast equal to it.

lullubelle
30-Sep-2008, 12:18 AM
My eyes still hurt, who ever thougt of making this movie should get enema.:skull:

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 12:30 AM
My eyes still hurt, who ever thougt of making this movie should get enema.:skull:

And what was it about it that hurt you?

SRP76
30-Sep-2008, 01:05 AM
Never liked Day. Never will. When I first saw it (and you can be considered an "outsider" when you've only seen 1 zombie flick to that point), my reaction was "meh". Just didn't appeal to me.

A huge part of that is identifying with what's going on. When you watch Dawn, there's a "cool factor": who wouldn't love to be running free through a mall, with any desire you have right at your command? So, you can get into that.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who fantasizes about living in a cave, and constantly having some fools threatening to shoot you just for living. So Day just doesn't do it.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 01:11 AM
Never liked Day. Never will. When I first saw it (and you can be considered an "outsider" when you've only seen 1 zombie flick to that point), my reaction was "meh". Just didn't appeal to me.

A huge part of that is identifying with what's going on. When you watch Dawn, there's a "cool factor": who wouldn't love to be running free through a mall, with any desire you have right at your command? So, you can get into that.

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who fantasizes about living in a cave, and constantly having some fools threatening to shoot you just for living. So Day just doesn't do it.

I'd have to agree that dawn has the cool factor. But conversely there are a truckload of of thing to criticize about dawn, I mean there are continuity errors and everything. Zombies that are supposed to be dead moving out of the way of falling teepees and what not. I'm not saying day is perfect but there's much less to criticize. :cool:

Thorn
30-Sep-2008, 01:22 PM
That is a tough question, and a really good one.

I guess I would have to consider my audience. If I thought they were artsy types who could appreciate film history, and would not be turned of by how “period” Night comes off I would start them with Night because I think it is the best of the three moves. It is also the first movie, and if you are going to start someone down a path you want them to move down the path not hp scotch back and forth from end to beginning. In my opinion anyway.

If I thought they would be turned off by B&W films from 40 years ago, but had a good sense of humor and could get into campy horror or would better identify with the characters in Dawn I would go dawn. My buddy Craig Sutton is big into movies of that period. He liked Shaft, and Super fly. So for him to get into Dawn would be easy. Just for the end scene where the queue up the hokey as hell music and Kevin goes running through a pack of zombies throwing punches to make his way into a chopper that is taking off.

If the person was say a girlfriend, or a friend who was none of the above I would I guess have to start with Day. I liked day, for all that was said above. With the exception of the Doctor who I do think was over the top and cartoonish and this is a slightly different opinion than what is stated above. Day offers a film that is closer to current times, uses more modern film techniques and pacing, the sets are good, music is solid, and the feeling of hopelessness and Closter phobia is something that can be felt by everyone in that film I think.

So in short I think you made an excellent choice.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 03:04 PM
Damn, i can't get my girlfreind to watch any horror movies. Gives her nightmares. We started to watch day and in the opening scene where the hands break through the wall she was freaked out and said turn it off. :lol:

So there's no way she could have sustained what the rest of the movie has to offer. I'm bringing her along slowly though. :cool:

MaximusIncredulous
30-Sep-2008, 04:31 PM
It's crazy to think about the contempt this film used to get from the fanbase.

Not just the fanbase, Siskel & Ebert called Day one of the worst films of 1985. Jerks.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 04:51 PM
Not just the fanbase, Siskel & Ebert called Day one of the worst films of 1985. Jerks.

I'll bet they rated ROTLD higher as well which goes to show what they know.

I stopped listening to film critics long ago. As a matter of fact they stopped being relavent for about ten years now. What makes them more qualified than one of us for example to rate a film. I watch a ton of movies and i know crap when i see it.

bassman
01-Oct-2008, 12:23 AM
Damn, i can't get my girlfreind to watch any horror movies. Gives her nightmares. We started to watch day and in the opening scene where the hands break through the wall she was freaked out and said turn it off. :lol:

So there's no way she could have sustained what the rest of the movie has to offer. I'm bringing her along slowly though. :cool:

Dude...my girlfriend was the same, but I made her sit through it anyway. She ended up LOVING IT. In the end, she told me that she thought of it as more of a love story than a horror film. I was puzzled at first, but then she explained that the love between Frankenstein & Bub, the hate between Rhodes & Bub, and the slight understanding but still frightful condition of Sarah to Bub felt like a love story.

It took me a minute to think it over....but I totally understood what she meant. She went on to view the other films in Romero's lineup and enjoyed them all, but Day was her favorite. And she's even requested to watch it a couple of times since.

Oh...and I forgot to mention. She cried for Bub when he discovered Frankenstein's dead body. True story.:|

darth los
01-Oct-2008, 12:47 AM
Dude...my girlfriend was the same, but I made her sit through it anyway. She ended up LOVING IT. In the end, she told me that she thought of it as more of a love story than a horror film. I was puzzled at first, but then she explained that the love between Frankenstein & Bub, the hate between Rhodes & Bub, and the slight understanding but still frightful condition of Sarah to Bub felt like a love story.

It took me a minute to think it over....but I totally understood what she meant. She went on to view the other films in Romero's lineup and enjoyed them all, but Day was her favorite. And she's even requested to watch it a couple of times since.

Oh...and I forgot to mention. She cried for Bub when he discovered Frankenstein's dead body. True story.:|

It never ceases to amaze me what a female's take is compared to a man's on the same subject matter. I guess you COULD see it like that but... EEEEWWW!! lol

I think it's great that she watches the movies you like with you. Just the fact that she gives them a chance shows she cares.

:cool:

bassman
01-Oct-2008, 01:23 AM
I think it's great that she watches the movies you like with you. Just the fact that she gives them a chance shows she cares.

:cool:

Yeah, it's cool. But there's a flip side to that coin....

She's asked me to watch some films that I normally wouldn't and some of them, just like her watching Day, I truly enjoyed. Brokeback Mountain comes to mind. I know of several people around here that talk sh*t about that film because it's about some gay fellas, but it is really one of the greatest love stories ever put on film....

So it's a give/take relationship. And it's worked out quite well. Understanding is a great thing.:)

Bub666
01-Oct-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah,my wife watches zombie movies with me,and she hates zombie movies.But she watches them with me so she can spend time with me.And in return I watch movies that she likes with her.

So I agree with you bassman,it is a give and take relationship,and it works great for us.

lullubelle
01-Oct-2008, 03:37 AM
And what was it about it that hurt you?

Iwas reffeing to the remake,:annoyed:

RJ_Sevin
01-Oct-2008, 04:03 AM
I love DAY. Technically speaking, it's the best film of the first three. NIGHT and DAWN are their own unique examples of perfection, but DAY probably plays best to the uninitiated. Its extreme gore and torrential profanity, however, could be a major turn-off to those with delicate constitutions. For this reason, I'd actually go with NIGHT 90 as the "entry level" GAR DEAD flick.

MinionZombie
01-Oct-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, it's cool. But there's a flip side to that coin....

She's asked me to watch some films that I normally wouldn't and some of them, just like her watching Day, I truly enjoyed. Brokeback Mountain comes to mind. I know of several people around here that talk sh*t about that film because it's about some gay fellas, but it is really one of the greatest love stories ever put on film....

So it's a give/take relationship. And it's worked out quite well. Understanding is a great thing.:)
Brokeback Mountain is a superb film, and I watched it off my own back too...just waited for all the hype to die down, but like you said, it's a fantastic love story - and ultimately a tragic story, that final shot really packs a punch (and indeed is testament to Ledger's chops).

As for Day - I always get a bit "awww" when Bub finds Logan dead on the floor, poor bugger of a zombie. :(

Bub666
01-Oct-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah,my wife made me watch Brokeback Mountain,it was an alright movie.I liked it more then I thought I was going to.

DawnGirl27
01-Oct-2008, 02:09 PM
I have the reverse of you men - my husband doesn't like horror movies at all, so if previews for one come up on tv, he says, 'Call Mike (my best friend from college).' And Mike's wife will say, 'Call Shell,' so at least we can share the experience with someone, at least. Oh - I lied - he did watch Resident Evil on DVD, but I suspect that was mainly for Milla... :p

darth los
01-Oct-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah,my wife made me watch Brokeback Mountain,it was an alright movie.I liked it more then I thought I was going to.

I still can't bring myself to watch that film. :shifty:

bassman
01-Oct-2008, 03:11 PM
he did watch Resident Evil on DVD, but I suspect that was mainly for Milla... :p

If that's one of the few horror films he's seen....no wonder he doesn't like them.

Eck. Bad film.:dead:

Bub666
02-Oct-2008, 01:09 AM
I have the reverse of you men - my husband doesn't like horror movies

:stunned:
I think this is the first time I've heard of a man not liking horror movies.

Doc
02-Oct-2008, 01:15 AM
Day is my favorite Dead film. The feeling of paranoia and claustrphobia is just the selling point to me. Bub is the total king of zombies.:D

As for Day - I always get a bit "awww" when Bub finds Logan dead on the floor, poor bugger of a zombie. :( Yep, while I didn't burst in too tears I can't but, help to feel sorry for Bub.:(

Bub666
02-Oct-2008, 01:20 AM
Bub is the total king of zombies.:D

Yeah,I agree.Bub is the greatest zombie ever.

darth los
02-Oct-2008, 01:36 AM
Day is my favorite Dead film. The feeling of paranoia and claustrphobia is just the selling point to me. Bub is the total king of zombies.:D

Yep, while I didn't burst in too tears I can't but, help to feel sorry for Bub.:(

It would be interesting to take a worldwide poll, since these films have such a rabid international fan base, and see which are the most popular/favorite ghouls. I smell a poll question guys!! :sneaky: