PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Pregnancy and the Undead

Thorn
30-Sep-2008, 01:07 PM
In watching several of the living dead movies the idea of bringing new life into the world while all of this is going on comes up. You see people struggle with and come to terms with the reality of creating new life in a world where that life is nearly constantly in jeopardy. You also have to consider that a baby is a liability in so many ways. As a father, I can tell you that long noisy sleepless nights are common place. The need for constant attention, cleaning, and feeding do not go away.

This is a tough question, and I think it would play out interestingly in a film it is basically a two part question as well.

You or your spouse is pregnant when the uprising happens, she is 2-3 months pregnant and the others in your band of survivors have become aware of it. Some are demanding she abort the pregnancy. You yourself are conflicted.

What do you do?

Would you agree that terminating the pregnancy at this time regardless of your views under ideal situations? Would you stand up to the other survivors who were demanding she abort the pregnancy due to their fears of the added risk a baby would place on them, the added draw on supplies, and the fact that one of the members of your party may be out of commission for a while and then tending to a child nearly full time?

Bub666
30-Sep-2008, 06:37 PM
I think first of all it's completely up to the woman,it's her body and her choice.But I can understand where everone else in the group is coming from.If the baby dies before being born,the woman could die and become a zombie.

Yojimbo
30-Sep-2008, 06:50 PM
At the risk of starting a war of philosophies, I am pro-choice and as such I have a pro-choice view of this question. Like Bub, I believe that this would be up to the woman and not up to anyone else. No one, not even Billy Graham's ghost, or Sara Palin, has the right to tell a woman what she can or cannot do with her own body.

Along these lines, what if a particular survivor has his elderly, wheelchair bound grandfather with him? Should it be up to the group to abandon the old man simply because he is percieved as a liablilty?

Then I have to ask myself if I want to roll with a group that would choose to leave the old man to fend for himself because of his potential to be an inconvenience to the group? I would have to say that this would not be a group that I would want to be associated with, nor would I want to associate with a group that is going to arbitrarilly decide for a woman if she is or is not going to be permitted to keep her child, born or unborn.

darth los
30-Sep-2008, 07:00 PM
In watching several of the living dead movies the idea of bringing new life into the world while all of this is going on comes up. You see people struggle with and come to terms with the reality of creating new life in a world where that life is nearly constantly in jeopardy. You also have to consider that a baby is a liability in so many ways. As a father, I can tell you that long noisy sleepless nights are common place. The need for constant attention, cleaning, and feeding do not go away.

This is a tough question, and I think it would play out interestingly in a film it is basically a two part question as well.

You or your spouse is pregnant when the uprising happens, she is 2-3 months pregnant and the others in your band of survivors have become aware of it. Some are demanding she abort the pregnancy. You yourself are conflicted.

What do you do?

Would you agree that terminating the pregnancy at this time regardless of your views under ideal situations? Would you stand up to the other survivors who were demanding she abort the pregnancy due to their fears of the added risk a baby would place on them, the added draw on supplies, and the fact that one of the members of your party may be out of commission for a while and then tending to a child nearly full time?

A similar scenario came up in dawn. When the others found out that fran was pregnant there seemed to be a moment of, "oh hell no dude we don't need this right now". But after the initial moment and the offer of a back alley abortion the decision seemed to be left up to the parents ( if it was really stephen's baby ) which is where it belongs. If the group feels it's a liability then they should be given the option of leaving but nothing should be forced on anyone. But beware, how long will it be until the "group" decides that something close to your heart is now a liability? We should put ourselves in the same situation before doing anything rash and see if we would like it done to us. That's usually a good indicator on if it's right or not. However, what's right and what's nescessary are two very different things aren't they?

:cool:

Yojimbo
30-Sep-2008, 07:10 PM
If the group feels it's a liability then they should be given the option of leaving but nothing should be forced on anyone. But beware, how long will it be until the "group" decides that something close to your heart is now a liability? We should put ourselves in the same sitation before doing anything rash and see if we would like it done to us. That's usually a good indicator on if it's right or not. However, what's right and what's nescessary are two very different things arent' they?

:cool:
Here, Here!

Well said, darth los!

Thorn
01-Oct-2008, 12:44 PM
I think for me I would need to square the idea with my wife first. I like as has been said above do not plan to debate pro-life or pro-choice. In this case, we are in a unique situation where the baby might actually give away your position by crying, or force you to leave your shelter to find items it needs like medicine. It or a pregnant mother may even slow you down if you need to move fast.

I think it is more a matter of what does a baby bring to the table other than responsibility? Not much. Maybe hope? A bit of joy? For me I would never dream of telling anyone else what to do in this situation. I simply couldn't. If it were my wife and a group of survivors were pressing us to have the abortion then I would need to speak to my wife see what her feelings were and then go from there. If she and I mutually decide that the devil be damned we are going through with the baby and the group I was with did not support us then I echo the sentiments above. I would find other people to roll with or make the best of it on my own.

AcesandEights
01-Oct-2008, 02:54 PM
I think I'd hypothetically kill someone if they tried to push an abortion on my wife. Apocalypse or not, I'll be the only person allowed to bug my wife about getting abortions, thankyouverymuch!