PDA

View Full Version : Appaloosa movie

DawnGirl27
02-Oct-2008, 04:43 PM
Anyone see previews for the Appaloosa western movie which comes out tomorrow? It has Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen as two friends hired to police a town run by bad guy Jeremy Iron's character. It looks pretty good. I love westerns that are reminiscent of the old-time ones - great flavor and action.

bassman
02-Oct-2008, 04:45 PM
Yep. Looks cool.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11416&highlight=western

MoonSylver
02-Oct-2008, 10:37 PM
Yep. Looks cool.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=11416&highlight=western

Thanks for the thread link Bassman;)

I'm so psyched about this. Love the western genre. Started collecting my favorites over the past year or 2. Told my wife earlier this week "We NEED to go to the movies this weekend.", which is pretty major for us. Other than "Diary" the last moves I actually saw in a theater were Revenge of the Sith & Spiderman 2 (kids & finances...deadly combo for film goers...). I'm definitely committed enough to the genre though to try & get out & spend the $18 to show Hollywood that the western is still a viable genre.

Bub666
03-Oct-2008, 02:17 AM
Yeah I love westerns.This looks really good,I'll have to check this out some time.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Oct-2008, 01:20 PM
Going to see this on thursday. Anyone seen it yet and have anything to say about it?

AcesandEights
07-Oct-2008, 01:34 PM
Got a mediocre review from a friend who saw it last night. We'll see. I'm sure I'll appreciate the subtleties and any quality dialog more than my friend, but pending good reviews from the people (you folks are included in there), I will probably take a pass till it comes out for rental/on-demand.

MoonSylver
07-Oct-2008, 11:02 PM
I've been digesting it awhile before I did a proper review, but "mediocre" isn't TOO far off.

It was good, but not great, which really pains me to say. 3:10, Unforgiven, or Open Range it ain't.

Not a lot of action, More of a drama, really. Weird editing, in that, the story takes place apparently over a period of time yet there are abrupt cuts from one scene to the next & no transition or indication of the passage of time at all, which kinda takes you out of the story a bit. Decent performances from Harris & Irons. Rene Zelwigger is ok. Lance Henrickson has a small, decent part. The one who steals the show is Viggo Mortnesen, whose performance is awesome.

Worth a rent. I'm glad I saw it in the theater. Not sure if I could recommend others to do the same though.

DawnGirl27
09-Oct-2008, 10:14 PM
That's good to know - I've heard mixed reviews, and was unsure whether or not to spent the money in the theatre...

DjfunkmasterG
10-Oct-2008, 05:07 AM
Well since I am sick i couldn't go see it tonight. Anyone got anything good to say about it. I know some poste5rs on IMDB are really digging it, but nothing from forum members here.

EDIT: Just seen Moon's review. Bummer, maybe this is a DVD rental.

MoonSylver
10-Oct-2008, 05:34 AM
Eh...don't let me dissuade you...check it out for yourself. I'd love an opinion other than my own. Maybe it was just me. Wasn't a BAD movie at all...just didn't floor me....maybe I had my sights set too high. I'd watch it again for sure.