PDA

View Full Version : 'The Happening' - OK, I'm 25mins in...

Neil
02-Oct-2008, 08:58 PM
...and I'm not sure how much more I can take...

The dialog and acting are terrible! The female lead (Zooey Deschanel) constantly looks like a terrified deer caught in head-lights or somethings.. It's bad to the point of comical!

The shocking moments aren't shocking either it's done so poorly...

Was Shyamalan trying to commit career suicide with this film or something?

OK! Wish me luck! I'm going back in!

SRP76
02-Oct-2008, 09:19 PM
You knew what you were getting into. It's hard, but you brought this on yourself.

Danny
03-Oct-2008, 07:18 AM
You knew what you were getting into. It's hard, but you brought this on yourself.

yeah but like me with alone in the dark you just gotta see for yourself, in this case just how bad the leads "**** kirtsen dunst" sidekick is.

Neil
03-Oct-2008, 07:46 AM
I had to fast forward through it in the end...

Some of the dialog was diabolical - in both the words being spoken and the acting delivering them!

It's an absolute car wreck from the direction point of view, and the script is pretty poor too... What happened! All that talent and budget wasted :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
03-Oct-2008, 10:14 AM
Hazah! We can agree on a movie! :)

Indeed, The Happening is absolutely atrocious and indeed the acting is piss-poor - especially Zooey Deschaniel, who was abominable, and I know exactly of that look you speak of, it was throughout the entire movie and it pissed me off to no end.

The direction is poor, the acting is lazy or non-existant, and the script is AWFUL to the extreme. What a waste of money.

Neil
03-Oct-2008, 11:12 AM
Hazah! We can agree on a movie! :)

Indeed, The Happening is absolutely atrocious and indeed the acting is piss-poor - especially Zooey Deschaniel, who was abominable, and I know exactly of that look you speak of, it was throughout the entire movie and it pissed me off to no end.

The direction is poor, the acting is lazy or non-existant, and the script is AWFUL to the extreme. What a waste of money.

A couple of times I did a double-take on the dialogue and acting... It was terrible... Then there was all this wind and trees blowing left and right (menacingly?) which actually made me laugh out loud at times...

Something went very VERY wrong with this film... And it had a something like a $60m budget? WTF!?! Where did the money go?

AcesandEights
03-Oct-2008, 12:44 PM
So, should I never see this movie? I like a fair amount of Shaymalan's other work, but this just sounds dreadful by all accounts...and I mean that literally. I've yet to hear a single, substantially good thing about the movie...

MinionZombie
03-Oct-2008, 01:03 PM
The only reason I saw it was to truly believe how awful it was, and to have numerous examples of how sh*t it was so I could properly take the piss out of it. :D

I know, it's just awful isn't it Neil? All that wind business was just silly, I was half-waiting to see them run away from flash freezing or something. :lol:

Neil
03-Oct-2008, 01:14 PM
So, should I never see this movie? I like a fair amount of Shaymalan's other work, but this just sounds dreadful by all accounts...and I mean that literally. I've yet to hear a single, substantially good thing about the movie...

Watch the first 25 mins and see what you think of:-
a) The hamfisted way the death scenes are handled - Absolutely no shock value at all.
b) The dialogue - No one talks like that!
c) The acting - Sheesh!

A couple of lines I wasn't sure if I should grimace or laugh as they were so bad! (dialog & delivery)

This is a $60m dollar film that feels knackered!

I love apocalyptic films, but I fast forwarded through a lot of the middle of the move as I was concerned about having already wasted 30mins of my life on the film...

DawnGirl27
03-Oct-2008, 08:25 PM
I know - I was sitting in the theater thinking, 'We're supposed to be scared of the wind?' And going further, that we're to believe that plants are talking to one another? Plus the fact that they "take out" people in too large of groups, as if one person can't light a match and start a fire?!? I kept looking at my watch and it was going soooo slowly it was unbearable - just like the aforementioned acting. I like Wahlberg as an actor in a lot of movies he's been in, but he was wasted here. And Leguizamo's character could have been played by an unknown, for all the screen time he got, and he's better in a "bad guy" role, anyway.
I was thoroughly ticked off when I left the theater that I'd wasted money on that piece of crap. :mad:

MinionZombie
03-Oct-2008, 09:01 PM
Anyone else notice Brian O'Halloran (aka Dante from Clerks) as the dude driving the car in which Leguizamo gets into?

He says NOTHING, and gets not a single full face shot - then he carks it. WHY? Just why?

Danny
03-Oct-2008, 09:05 PM
aye i yelled "holy ****, dante?!?" in the cinema and no one else got it.

SRP76
03-Oct-2008, 11:41 PM
He wasn't even supposed to be in it today!

Minerva_Zombi
04-Oct-2008, 01:07 AM
I liked the movie. I thought it was pretty thought provoking. It actually had me fearing for those people when they were around a tree or something. I thought it was pretty sweet.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Oct-2008, 01:12 PM
After seeing the trailer for it I knew this looked like a train wreck, but, I suppose, like anything, curiosity will get the best of me.

SRP76
07-Oct-2008, 07:28 PM
Did they ever decide to just screw with the vegetation? You know, crank up a chainsaw, and start taunting an elm with it?

clanglee
07-Oct-2008, 07:32 PM
Did they ever decide to just screw with the vegetation? You know, crank up a chainsaw, and start taunting an elm with it?

No, but Walberg does appologize to a rubber tree at one point.:rolleyes:

Bub666
09-Oct-2008, 01:38 AM
No, but Walberg does appologize to a rubber tree at one point.:rolleyes:

That was so stupid.I watched this movie the other day,and I had to fight to stay awake.It just about bored me to death.:bored:

acealive1
09-Oct-2008, 01:41 AM
B movies are classics yet u guys crap all over a new one of those..........cmon

Danny
09-Oct-2008, 12:07 PM
its not a "b movie" thats an excuse people are using for this incredibly poor movie, ive not once heard shamylan say its a b movie till long after it got terrible reviews and thats just one away form the good old "well its too high brow for you to understand it" defense.

Bub666
09-Oct-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah,there's no way this piece of crap is a B movie.

Neil
09-Oct-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah,there's no way this pieace of crap is a B movie.

LOL! If you're unsure how to spell piece or peace, just spell them all :)

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2008, 05:34 PM
its not a "b movie" thats an excuse people are using for this incredibly poor movie, ive not once heard shamylan say its a b movie till long after it got terrible reviews and thats just one away form the good old "well its too high brow for you to understand it" defense.

*looks up from his Mooby Cow-Tipper and Moo-ilk Shake*

F*ckin' A ...

Danny
09-Oct-2008, 10:24 PM
i stand by my randal graves-ism

Bub666
10-Oct-2008, 03:17 AM
LOL! If you're unsure how to spell piece or peace, just spell them all :)

Oops,it's been a long day.:D

clanglee
10-Oct-2008, 03:19 AM

Indeed,

**** Shaymalan. **** him in his stupid asshole.