PDA

View Full Version : this sounds ridiculous...

Mike70
05-Oct-2008, 12:17 PM
found this on fangoria.com's news page:

October 3: Production begins on new Romero zombie opus

Screen Daily reported today that lensing has begun on George A. Romero’s latest zombie flick, a semi-direct follow-up to this year’s DIARY OF THE DEAD, in Ontario, Canada. The film, whose scenario sounds like it should be titled ISLAND OF THE DEAD, is “not a sequel but a new adventure informed by the contemporary social and political climate,” the trade says. The action takes place on an isolated isle off the North American coast, where the community’s undead rulers find themselves locked in a struggle over whether to eat surviving human inhabitants or keep them alive in the hope of finding a cure. Romero told Fango recently that the film will deal with “tribalism” as its sociopolitical theme, and the conflict with the human survivors will resemble that between “the Hatfields and the McCoys.”

The ensemble cast of mostly Canucks includes Alan Van Sprang, who played the colonel in DIARY OF THE DEAD and also appeared in LAND OF THE DEAD, SHUTTER and SAW III; Kenneth Welsh, veteran of Canadian-lensed chillers THE COVENANT, THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE, HABITAT, HIDEAWAY and OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN; Kathleen Munroe; Devon (LAND OF THE DEAD) Bostick; Richard (KINGDOM HOSPITAL) Fitzpatrick; Athena (SAW IV) Karkanis; and Stefano Colacitti. Reportedly, only two actors from DIARY OF THE DEAD will reprise their roles in the new movie (DIARY’s Shawn Roberts is currently acting alongside Mel Gibson in EDGE OF DARKNESS, so count him out).

In a statement, Romero said, “I’m excited to be back working with my filmmaking family, and I love the new story that we’ve started to shoot. It’s a larger-scale picture than my last one, a different kind of world, and I hope the fans are going to like seeing it as much as I’ve enjoyed working on it.”

undead rulers? struggle to over whether to eat the remaining humans or let them try to find a cure? tribalism and socio-political themes?

this sounds like complete and total shi*e. now the zombies have moral dilemmas and are conflicted. whatever. i'm really not interested in zombies intelligent enough to form these kinds of thoughts/opinions. kinda of destroys the whole idea of them being, well, zombies.

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2008, 12:26 PM
Er, I think that sounds like a mix up perhaps.

The way I've heard it elsewhere, is the people on the island - PEOPLE, not zombies - have to decide whether to kill their zombified friends and family, or keep them alive in the hope of a cure.

Legion2213
05-Oct-2008, 05:10 PM
Dear God, I hope this story is completely messed up and not accurate in the slightest.

If it is correct, it will be the first GAR zombie film I point blank refuse to watch or buy.

The saddest fact about this is that I am prepared to believe that this smart moral zombies route is exactly the road that GAR is going down. :(

Bub666
05-Oct-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah,this story sounds messed up.

Danny
05-Oct-2008, 09:26 PM
fangoria lost all worthiness as a respectable news source years ago for me when they proclaimed slither,saw and hostel as "the reinvention of the genre!":rolleyes:

dracenstein
05-Oct-2008, 09:49 PM
Sounds garbled to me.

The way I heard it, the people on the island refuse to 'kill' their undead family members, hoping for a cure.

I also heard the Texas chick and the three National Guardsmen from Diary are in it, but I haven't heard confirmation of it.

I also heard something about 'swimming' zombies, but I'm hoping they walk on the river/lake bed, whatever.

And apparently the title is Island of the Dead.

Danny
05-Oct-2008, 09:58 PM
yeah ive heard the island of the dead and ,ugh, "dont me-eas weeve teeex-ass" gal as well.

bassman
05-Oct-2008, 11:47 PM
As stated before, I think the article got things a bit jumbled up.

We've been told before that it's the living's struggle over killing the zombified loved ones or hold out and hope for a cure. So that's the way it's going, I would think. The article has it twisted.

I wonder if this could be the first Romero dead film where there's a cure....

Trin
06-Oct-2008, 12:22 AM
Aw, cr@p. Even if it's accurate I'll still watch it. Curse me, I will. *raise hands to sky* Why was I born this way??? Why?? I'll watch anything he makes!!! *cries*

lullubelle
06-Oct-2008, 01:55 AM
Sonmebody somewhere got their wires crossed, zombies with moral issues? I dont know you guys but if thats the plot, it sure makes for a Sh@##er movie than Land or Diary, my apologies to those who liked those two movies:skull:

offwithherhead
06-Oct-2008, 02:11 AM
The press release is mistaken.
Don't worry fellow GAR fans there are no "undead rulers".

Alex Kavanagh
Costume Designer, "Land of the Dead", "Diary of the Dead", "Untitled Romero Project"

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2008, 10:08 AM

Alex Kavanagh
Costume Designer, "Land of the Dead", "Diary of the Dead", "Untitled Romero Project"
Figured as much, you hear one thing from a few sources and then the opposite from one - it just smells shady as fook.

Even though GAR took the evolution of the zombies in Land further than some wanted (I personally loved Land of the Dead, and the further evolution, and the whole 'stale-mate-like' relationship between the dead and the living at the end), but I think GAR himself would easily think "moral zombies" is a stupid idea.

The main thing I hope is that this flick isn't in POV camera. That was fine for one movie, for Diary, but leave it there. I want cutting, I want angles, I want a filmmaker's eye (and not a filmmaker within the movie itself), I want juicy close ups of the action.

Otherwise I'm all excited as any hardcore GAR fan would be. :)

darth los
06-Oct-2008, 06:08 PM
As stated before, I think the article got things a bit jumbled up.

We've been told before that it's the living's struggle over killing the zombified loved ones or hold out and hope for a cure. So that's the way it's going, I would think. The article has it twisted.

I wonder if this could be the first Romero dead film where there's a cure....

I would hate the fact there was a cure. One of the things that i love about these films is that the cause of the plague is purposely left to the imagination. If there was a cure wouldn't that point to something viral? And if that's the case are they really dead or just sick people. If they weren't dead that would very much reduce the scare factor for me. Just as the intelligence angle does. IMO, having dead, mindless creatures relentlessly attacking with their only goal being an intinctual need to feed on your flesh is just crazy and pants sh8ttingly creepy.....:shifty:

:cool:

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2008, 07:03 PM
Well I doubt GAR would actually put a cure into the movie, it's just the hope of the people in the film, seemingly 3 weeks into the outbreak.

dracenstein
06-Oct-2008, 07:32 PM
Three weeks into the outbreak?

Set at the same time as the start of Dawn.

MinionZombie
06-Oct-2008, 07:49 PM
But like Diary not being at the same time as the events (as in Jason Creed wasn't running around at the same time and in the same universe of physical existence as Ben), this new flick won't be set at the same time/in the same physical world as Dawn of the Dead.

Much like how Night, Dawn, Day and Land are all not strictly connected - yes the time scales move further and further into a zombie outbreak, but they're all totally disconnected - you could say, basically, they are all in different universes ... if you will.

But yeah Dawn was supposed to be 3 weeks in, although I don't know where that figure came from - perhaps just a guesstimate. Dawn of course was then set over the course of several months after they'd gotten set up at the mall.

Even this flick, while being touted as a sorta sequel, isn't that much of a sequel seemingly - only the Texas chick and the national guardsmen are back - is it really those characters? Is it just those actors? Will it directly reference Diary? Is it indeed Diary 2, or is it indeed not Diary 2?

GAR certainly knows how to develop an air of mystery around his flicks. :D

clanglee
06-Oct-2008, 07:52 PM
Aw, cr@p. Even if it's accurate I'll still watch it. Curse me, I will. *raise hands to sky* Why was I born this way??? Why?? I'll watch anything he makes!!! *cries*

I'm with ya Trin. It hurts. . But I'll do it anyways!!:p

Alex Kavanagh

Are we to understand that you are this Alex Kavanagh? An inside source in our midst? You must tell us more!!!!!:hyper:

sandrock74
07-Oct-2008, 02:19 AM
How could you hope to "cure" the rotted corpse of a loved one? If I was the zombie, I'd just want my friends/loved ones to put a bullet into my head!

SRP76
07-Oct-2008, 02:24 AM
How could you hope to "cure" the rotted corpse of a loved one? If I was the zombie, I'd just want my friends/loved ones to put a bullet into my head!

Someone FINALLY gets the point. Any story about a cure is just stupid, since - here comes the elephant in the room - there is NO cure for being DEAD!!!!

Why does everyone always ignore that?

offwithherhead
07-Oct-2008, 02:48 AM
It's not being shot in the first person, it's a regular movie.

It is taking place approximately 3 weeks into the outbreak of the dead reanimating, though a time line is never specified.

I can't give any details! I'm sure some real info will come out soon, but it's not my place to do so... I can tell you the costumes are fantastic! lol

bassman
07-Oct-2008, 02:49 AM
Someone FINALLY gets the point. Any story about a cure is just stupid, since - here comes the elephant in the room - there is NO cure for being DEAD!!!!

No. There's no cure for being dead.

Your wife. Your daughter. Your son. Your mom. Your dad. Your sister or Brother.

You wouldn't want a cure for them, right? If any of them came at you, how would you feel? You wouldn't want to help them? There is no way to even attempt to help?

No...I guess you would shoot them without a second of hesitation? It's easy to say one thing about the proposed situation, but it's different when you're faced with it.

I'm not saying this is how I would or could deal with it, but there is no way of dealing with a close member of the family lurking toward you. Everyone reacts differently. Maybe this is what Romero wanted?...

My point is don't be an internet tough guy. If your family was in harm's way, you would feel just like the rest of us...

Bub666
07-Oct-2008, 03:45 AM

Yeah,a cure would be completely stupid.

SRP76
07-Oct-2008, 04:18 AM
No. There's no cure for being dead.

Your wife. Your daughter. Your son. Your mom. Your dad. Your sister or Brother.

You wouldn't want a cure for them, right? If any of them came at you, how would you feel? You wouldn't want to help them? There is no way to even attempt to help?

There. Is. No. Cure. For. DEAD!

If they're a zombie, it means they've already died. There is nothing you can do about it. The only thing that could possibly be cured is the zombified condition - and then they'd STILL be dead.

Which means that shooting them in the head is the cure, and it's already right in front of you: they stop being zombies, and they remain dead.

Why try to achieve the same result through elaborate means?

MinionZombie
07-Oct-2008, 09:52 AM

WOOOOOO!!!!!! :):):):cool::cool::cool:

I think that POV stuff is best left now, GAR's had his go, and there's been tons of POV movies recently, so the world has officially had it's fill of them, hehe.

As for the cure situation, and "I'd wanna be shot" - it's not about how the victim (i.e. the now dead) would have thought or would have wanted, it's about how the person who'd have to pull the trigger reacting, and I'm damn sure that a lot of people wouldn't be able to kill their loved ones, dead or not.

The dead rising, in itself, if it was actually real - is just such an effed up notion to start with, and being early into an outbreak (here, unofficially three weeks), that's when your head is going to be the most effed up.

Eventually, when you're getting to Day and Land territory (in terms of length of time into an outbreak), those who have survived have become inured to it all and it's part of daily life, but the average Joe, at the beginning, with sheer incomprehensible chaos all around them?

Yes, shooting them in the head is what needs to be done, but the people aren't necessarily to know that - nor is just any old bugger capable of doing that. GAR was touching on these sort of ideas in Dawn, with the eye patch dude (Dr. Millard Rousch) going on about "we must not be lulled into thinking that these are our family members, or our friends ... they must be destroyed on sight!!" (then somebody drops something in the background due the sheer shocking truth :p)

Yeah ... I've watched Dawn a fair bit ... anyway, it'd also make for a seriously boring movie if the outbreak happened and everybody said "hey, shoot em all in the noggin dagnammit" - and then they did - and that'd solve the entire problem. :lol:

But - that's entirely unlikely - a good read is "World War Z", which is a great book for seeing an (albeit fictional) account of a global zombie crisis, trying to imagine the chaos across all spectrums of society and examining how it could all get out of control. Ultimately (and terrifyingly) it feels quite real when reading it.

clanglee
07-Oct-2008, 07:42 PM

It is taking place approximately 3 weeks into the outbreak of the dead reanimating, though a time line is never specified.

I can't give any details! I'm sure some real info will come out soon, but it's not my place to do so... I can tell you the costumes are fantastic! lol

Well thank you much for at least clearing this up. You should come back after this is released and give us sort of an insider's view on working with GAR. That would be great!! And I'm sure the costumes are wonderful. :D

Bub666
07-Oct-2008, 07:45 PM

Thats great news.:D

hadrian0117
07-Oct-2008, 10:44 PM
The idea of a curse is completely absurd, but if there's a biological cause to zombism then some sort of vaccine might be possible. A living person could be vaccinated, and be prevented from reanimating upon death. That being said I agree that the "cure" in the movie is probally just a faint hope of survivors who can't/won't accept that the dead are rising.

MoonSylver
07-Oct-2008, 10:54 PM
The idea of a curse is completely absurd, but if there's a biological cause to zombism then some sort of vaccine might be possible. A living person could be vaccinated, and be prevented from reanimating upon death. That being said I agree that the "cure" in the movie is probally just a faint hope of survivors who can't/won't accept that the dead are rising.

Agreed. Just because WE know there is no "cure" doesn't mean THEY know that. We're probably talking about desperate people grasping at straws, who probably don't accept that fact that they're loved ones are actually DEAD to begin with. Not an implausible scenario. I'd say a fair number of people would try to protect loved ones who were "sick" & not accept the fact that they are, in fact, dead.

Mike70
07-Oct-2008, 11:42 PM

Alex Kavanagh

thanks for the info. after reading that article i was wondering about the sanity of all involved, if it turned out to be true. i was very much hoping that the story was garbled, thus i labeled it as sounding ridiculous.

thanks again for putting the record straight. it is about time some decent info reached our monitors instead of the rampant (and let's face it, sometimes crazy ass sounding) rumours and anti-hype.

darth los
08-Oct-2008, 12:57 AM
Three weeks into the outbreak?

Set at the same time as the start of Dawn.

You're walking on eggshells with that one.

Dont' say I didn't warn you!! :sneaky:

sandrock74
08-Oct-2008, 01:46 AM
There. Is. No. Cure. For. DEAD!

If they're a zombie, it means they've already died. There is nothing you can do about it. The only thing that could possibly be cured is the zombified condition - and then they'd STILL be dead.

Which means that shooting them in the head is the cure, and it's already right in front of you: they stop being zombies, and they remain dead.

Why try to achieve the same result through elaborate means?

Amen brother!

Just to answer everyones questions about "How could you shoot a loved one in the head once they are a zombie and coming for you?"...easy, you just answered it for me. They are DEAD and a ZOMBIE. The loved one of mine has gone bye bye. They ain't coming back.

Would I enjoy shooting them in the head? No, of course not. Would I shoot them in the head? Yes I would. In the world of GAR and going by the rules as they are set, its your outright responsibility to put down your friends and loved ones!

Remember all those zombies in the Monroeville Mall parking lot? How about them zombies at the fence in Day? Those were all loved ones of people who refused to shoot them.

We all see how that went, right?

darth los
08-Oct-2008, 02:45 AM
Amen brother!

Just to answer everyones questions about "How could you shoot a loved one in the head once they are a zombie and coming for you?"...easy, you just answered it for me. They are DEAD and a ZOMBIE. The loved one of mine has gone bye bye. They ain't coming back.

Would I enjoy shooting them in the head? No, of course not. Would I shoot them in the head? Yes I would. In the world of GAR and going by the rules as they are set, its your outright responsibility to put down your friends and loved ones!

Remember all those zombies in the Monroeville Mall parking lot? How about them zombies at the fence in Day? Those were all loved ones of people who refused to shoot them.

We all see how that went, right?

Imo, i believe you're making that comment as someone with the mindset a year into the plauge. It stands to reason that one might be jaded at that point. But in the fiirst few weeks i can see how someone might hesitate to destroy a loved one when it wasn't even clear at that time what is was they were suffering from.

But yes, as time went on i would think i was doing my loved one a favor by not letting them walk around like that.

MinionZombie
08-Oct-2008, 10:09 AM
And indeed, in Day of the Dead they had been/still were looking for the possibility of a cure - and Day was months and months into an outbreak.

Mike70
08-Oct-2008, 12:38 PM
maybe what is meant by cure is a way to prevent anyone else from reanimating after death. SRP is dead right (hahahaha)- there is no cure for being dead. anyone zombiefied already would have to be dealt with in the traditional manner.

hadrian0117
08-Oct-2008, 11:19 PM
And indeed, in Day of the Dead they had been/still were looking for the possibility of a cure - and Day was months and months into an outbreak.

They weren't looking for a way to "cure" the zombies and bring them back to life. Everyone, including Logan, were aware that the zombies were in fact dead. I think they looking for was to control zombies, preven living people from ranimating, or at least neutralize them en mass (without nukes or massive firestorms).

bassman
09-Oct-2008, 02:07 AM
maybe what is meant by cure is a way to prevent anyone else from reanimating after death. SRP is dead right (hahahaha)- there is no cure for being dead. anyone zombiefied already would have to be dealt with in the traditional manner.

Yeah. I think some people took "cure" as meaning bringing them back to life...

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2008, 10:00 AM
Well if people thought I thought that, I don't.

Cure as in a vaccine against the virus, so you could get bitten - but nout would happen.

Or even cure to control the zeds biologically, rather than just with painstaking psychology.

Mind you, a vaccine wouldn't be much use if you got swarmed and given the Rhodes treatment. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
09-Oct-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, it has been 3 years and now 3 zombie films from George Romero. He must be trying to save for his retirement. Whether or not this article is true makes no difference, the simple fact remains that if this is true, I will have lost faith in George and his films, but I am hoping its all bupkiss, and we see some really cool end of the world type ****.

SymphonicX
09-Oct-2008, 10:32 AM

"Sarah's looking for a way to reverse the process"

that's arguably a cure for deadness....

MinionZombie
09-Oct-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow, it has been 3 years and now 3 zombie films from George Romero. He must be trying to save for his retirement. Whether or not this article is true makes no difference, the simple fact remains that if this is true, I will have lost faith in George and his films, but I am hoping its all bupkiss, and we see some really cool end of the world type ****.
There are no zombie lords or whatever, Fangoria effed that up. It's LIVING PEOPLE with the moral choice, not zombies over whether to kill or not.

Bub666
09-Oct-2008, 11:39 AM

There is no cure for being dead.

Mike70
09-Oct-2008, 12:11 PM

yes but just because sarah is looking for a way to reverse it doesn't mean that one exists. she could be wasting her time chasing after something that doesn't exist.

darth los
09-Oct-2008, 05:21 PM
They weren't looking for a way to "cure" the zombies and bring them back to life. Everyone, including Logan, were aware that the zombies were in fact dead. I think they looking for was to control zombies, preven living people from ranimating, or at least neutralize them en mass (without nukes or massive firestorms).

yes but just because sarah is looking for a way to reverse it doesn't mean that one exists. she could be wasting her time chasing after something that doesn't exist.

Well in doc frank's words "she's looking for a way to reverse the process, eradicate the problem". I guess we could all interpret that differently including that she's trying to bring them back to life. He also goes on to make the point that "she might never find what she's looking for".

Sarah says later in the film," what i'm doing is all there's left to do".

You know what's intriguing to me though? When her and logan have their first converstion in the film. She says "and all that required is 15 hours of fancy surgery that only a handfull of people are qualified to do". I wonder what effect that had, how docile it made them....

offwithherhead
10-Oct-2008, 02:36 AM
Well, I have to say we are having a lot of fun on set!
George is totally in his element, the cast is stellar, we have a great crew, and the zombies look pretty awesome.
We had some good zombie action today, and next week is our big climax sequence.
It's been rainy, so the ground is muddy and slippery, everyone's getting pretty dirty (but that just makes me happy).
I'm working away at zombifying some costumes right now!

Bub666
10-Oct-2008, 03:12 AM
George is totally in his element, the cast is stellar, we have a great crew, and the zombies look pretty awesome.
It's been rainy, so the ground is muddy and slippery, everyone's getting pretty dirty (but that just makes me happy).

That sounds very cool.I can't wait to see this movie.

DjfunkmasterG
10-Oct-2008, 04:54 AM

Well I am glad to hear something positive from the crew members of the film. I hope all is well and you guys are safe, and I know you are working your asses off, especially in that col Toronto air. I remember my night on Land and it was freaking cold.

Trin
10-Oct-2008, 02:41 PM
Well in doc frank's words "she's looking for a way to reverse the process, eradicate the problem".I took that to mean a way to reverse the reanimation. That is, make the dead people go back to being dead. Er... dead and not moving. But I can see how others might've interpreted it differently.

I'm working away at zombifying some costumes right now!Thanks for the info. Here's wishing you all the best in the shoot!! *resists urge to ask a million questions*

btw - I didn't like Land from a plot and story perspective, but I will say the costumes were top notch.

SRP76
10-Oct-2008, 09:40 PM
I took that to mean a way to reverse the reanimation. That is, make the dead people go back to being dead. Er... dead and not moving. But I can see how others might've interpreted it differently.

Exactly. Which is pointless! They already have the way to reverse the reanimation: HEAD TRAUMA. Why even bother looking for another way to accomplish the same exact goal?!

hadrian0117
10-Oct-2008, 11:34 PM
Exactly. Which is pointless! They already have the way to reverse the reanimation: HEAD TRAUMA. Why even bother looking for another way to accomplish the same exact goal?!

I think she was looking for a way to kill zombies en mass. A weapon of mass zombie destruction. Something less destructive than a nuke that would leave infrastructure intact and the area habitable by humans. I have idea how the hell she planned on doing that.

Trin
11-Oct-2008, 12:59 AM
Well, *something* was making them walk. Figure out what that something is and maybe you can remove it or shield them from it.

Maybe it's radiation from that darned comet. Maybe if you figure out a way to block the radiation or remove the source they'd all just fall down. Worldwide problem solved. Who knows? They said they were still in the basic research stage which suggests they still had no clue what was causing the phenomenon.

Dr. Logan pointed out that head trauma was not the answer given the scale of the problem. Whether we believe it or not it was a premise in the movie which drove the characters.

Bub666
11-Oct-2008, 03:17 AM
Maybe it's radiation from that darned comet.

Wasn't the radiation from a satelite returning from Venus?Thats what the scientists said in NOTLD.

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2008, 10:57 AM
Wasn't the radiation from a satelite returning from Venus?Thats what the scientists said in NOTLD.
That's merely a possible cause for them in Night, but just a fleeting possibility. Generally in GAR's flicks, there's absolutely no cause attributed to the zed-fest.

darth los
13-Oct-2008, 04:37 AM
which is why introducing a cure, thus implying a viral cause would take away from the mystique of his films.

MontagMOI
13-Oct-2008, 09:00 AM
..but even if the cause is voodoo or little men from mars, the characters within the story will still be trying to find a cure. The whole world's gone to sh*t so surely people would be desperate.

hadrian0117
13-Oct-2008, 10:25 PM

I think Trin's refering to Night of the Comet. It had two valley girls and the guy who went on to play Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager. Comet passed by Earth for the first in 65 million years. Everyone who was exposed to it's radiation turned to dust; those fully shielded survied; those partially shielded became zombies.

Bub666
13-Oct-2008, 10:50 PM
I think Trin's refering to Night of the Comet. It had two valley girls and the guy who went on to play Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager. Comet passed by Earth for the first in 65 million years. Everyone who was exposed to it's radiation turned to dust; those fully shielded survied; those partially shielded became zombies.

Yeah,thats what I think Trin means too.

clanglee
14-Oct-2008, 01:21 AM
No no, I'm pretty sure Trin was refering to the Venus Probe returning to Earth. Give Trin some credit here. It would take a supreme idiot to confuse Night of the living dead, with Night of the Comet. As Trin is not an supreme idiot, I must assume he meant to say satelite, but said comet instead.

darth los
14-Oct-2008, 02:03 AM
No no, I'm pretty sure Trin was refering to the Venus Probe returning to Earth. Give Trin some credit here. It would take a supreme idiot to confuse Night of the living dead, with Night of the Comet. As Trin is not an supreme idiot, I must assume he meant to say satelite, but said comet instead.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, what he said. Maybe he just wrote, and submitted without thinking.

MinionZombie
14-Oct-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah he means the Venus Probe returning to Earth as heard about on the radio in Night.

darth los
14-Oct-2008, 02:48 PM
It's interesting how in each film of the trilogy there is a different "cause" that's implied. In NOTLD it was the venus probe. In Dawn there was a religious/mysticism undertone. In DAY it was more a viral/scientific issue.

bassman
14-Oct-2008, 02:54 PM
It's interesting how in each film of the trilogy there is a different "cause" that's implied. In NOTLD it was the venus probe. In Dawn there was a religious/mysticism undertone. In DAY it was more a viral/scientific issue.

While I do see the viral/scientific issue in Day that you mention, I've always kind of considered Day to be another religious/mysticism tone like Dawn.

John: Maybe he didn't want to see us blow ourselves up or put a big hole in the sky? Maybe he just wanted to show us that he's still the boss man. Maybe he figures, we're getting too big for our britches, trying to figure his sh*t out.

Well...I guess I can't say that's the tone of the entire film. Just one character's opinion, but it was also Frankenstein and Sarah's opinion that it could be viral. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see a definitive "cause" being stated in each film. It's always left open to the characters' interpretations.

ash
16-Oct-2008, 12:02 PM
While I do see the viral/scientific issue in Day that you mention, I've always kind of considered Day to be another religious/mysticism tone like Dawn.

I always thought of it as a conflict between the two. I like to think of Sarah as an Atheist (It helps me identify with the character) so when John starts talking about God, she is conflicted.

I like to read deep into characters.

darth los
16-Oct-2008, 06:57 PM
I always thought of it as a conflict between the two. I like to think of Sarah as an Atheist (It helps me identify with the character) so when John starts talking about God, she is conflicted.

I like to read deep into characters.

I believe she is conflicted because although she doesn't seem to agree with John's philosophy, now or ever her "science" is failing to explain what the cause of the plauge is. John's religion is.

Just a thought.....

Perhaps our science just isn't advanced enough to identify the problem and then to cope with it. Religion has always been used to explain things that are beyond our comprehension. Thousands of years ago when things went wrong they used to say the gods were agry. If a bolt of lightning struck it meant Zues was tossing them down from mount olympus and so on. Mankind is and has always been afraid of the unknown. Whether it be death or whatever we always feel better when there's an explanation for something. If you notice, by the end of the conversation she seems calm and content with her whiskey in hand. Not to say that there ISN'T a scientific explanation for what's going on. Just that as there wasn't an explanation for lightning bolts all those millenia ago, there isn't an explanation for the plauge now.

Yojimbo
17-Oct-2008, 06:23 PM
If you notice, by the end of the conversation she seems calm and content with her whiskey in hand.

That may have been the whiskey, though. Did you see that large knock that was poured for her? That alone would make me feel pretty calm and content, even if there were ghouls outside of my door coming for me. :)

zombieparanoia
18-Oct-2008, 02:26 PM
To be honest I think GAR has been slowing tilting towrads this sort of territory for a while now with his stepping up the "what about the zombies feelings?" spin he puts in his movies, I get he wants to make movies with messages but they just seem so poorly inserted lately, its like the end of a GI Joe or he-man episode where someone comes out and states directly what the message was that you were to get from the episode. Give the fans some credit GAR, we'll get it if its well made.

What is the moral dilemma anyways? Why so much hand wringing over the idea that we should destroy that which wants to destroy us? "but they used to be people or your loved ones" So? So are homeless people and and people who get machetied to death in africa nobody gives a ****e about them. people really aren't that attached to anyones survival but their own.

And I really don't think people would hold on to their interest in preserving their loved ones much beyond the first time they see a zombie tear up a living person. Even if its a loved one, things like that would make you understand pretty quick that its you or them, period, end of story.

clanglee
21-Oct-2008, 01:19 AM
I love that comic!!! Where did you find that?
:lol::lol::lol:

Bub666
21-Oct-2008, 03:35 AM
:lol:
That was a great comic.

darth los
21-Oct-2008, 04:15 PM
To be honest I think GAR has been slowing tilting towrads this sort of territory for a while now with his stepping up the "what about the zombies feelings?" spin he puts in his movies, I get he wants to make movies with messages but they just seem so poorly inserted lately, its like the end of a GI Joe or he-man episode where someone comes out and states directly what the message was that you were to get from the episode. Give the fans some credit GAR, we'll get it if its well made.

What is the moral dilemma anyways? Why so much hand wringing over the idea that we should destroy that which wants to destroy us? "but they used to be people or your loved ones" So? So are homeless people and and people who get machetied to death in africa nobody gives a ****e about them. people really aren't that attached to anyones survival but their own.

And I really don't think people would hold on to their interest in preserving their loved ones much beyond the first time they see a zombie tear up a living person. Even if its a loved one, things like that would make you understand pretty quick that its you or them, period, end of story.

I totally agree that people normally only care about things that afeect them directly. Sure we say it's a god awful tragedy but no one loses sleep about darfur. Just get that new i pod to me pronto Steve Jobs!!!! :hyper:

Yeah, the feelings of morality and sentimentality would wear off pretty quickly. I think the unwillingness to kill a loved one coming after you was just in the first few weeks of the outbreak when people weren't sure what was going on with these people. Were they just sick? It's like cooper and his daughter in the remake. He refused to believe that these people trying to kill them were really dead. When Ben tires to shoot sarah Cooper goes ape****. It's becaue he thought Ben was trying to murder his daughter. The fact that she was dead and would have torn him to shreds if given half the chance hadn't sunk in yet.

Fast forward to dawn where they all loved roger but knew what they had to do. It was tough for everyone but there was no debate.

Trin
21-Oct-2008, 07:14 PM
No no, I'm pretty sure Trin was refering to the Venus Probe returning to Earth. Give Trin some credit here. It would take a supreme idiot to confuse Night of the living dead, with Night of the Comet. As Trin is not an supreme idiot, I must assume he meant to say satelite, but said comet instead.Lol - Don't discount the supreme idiot theory too soon!! ;)

I meant to say comet, but that's because for some unfathomable reason at the time I wrote my post I remembered it being a coment. I dunno what the heck I was thinking. I was in fact referring to the radio broadcast from Night and got the details wrong. It's unforgivable, I know.

It's interesting how in each film of the trilogy there is a different "cause" that's implied. In NOTLD it was the venus probe. In Dawn there was a religious/mysticism undertone. In DAY it was more a viral/scientific issue.I never felt there was any implied cause. Or, perhaps stated differently, any implied cause revolves around character speculation rather than the facts of the phenomemon itself.

The phenomenon just was. It didn't change appreciably from movie to movie. It didn't try to offer an explanation for itself. There were precious few facts that could be used to form a hypothesis.

Day frustrated me on this topic. Logan and Sarah had been studying the problem for untold amounts of time (10 months minimum) and we never really heard anything of consequence from their research. We learned that there was a small part of the brain stimulated that was reainimating the body. And if that part was extracted the corpse would not reanimate. But was it a virus? Was it a bacteria? Was it that darned ... ahem... Venus probe? The characters were in a position to have facts to offer.

I know GAR wasn't going to get mired in such details as chemistry or biology, but it was still frustrating.

darth los
21-Oct-2008, 07:50 PM
Lol - Don't discount the supreme idiot theory too soon!! ;)

I meant to say comet, but that's because for some unfathomable reason at the time I wrote my post I remembered it being a coment. I dunno what the heck I was thinking. I was in fact referring to the radio broadcast from Night and got the details wrong. It's unforgivable, I know.

I never felt there was any implied cause. Or, perhaps stated differently, any implied cause revolves around character speculation rather than the facts of the phenomemon itself.

The phenomenon just was. It didn't change appreciably from movie to movie. It didn't try to offer an explanation for itself. There were precious few facts that could be used to form a hypothesis.

Day frustrated me on this topic. Logan and Sarah had been studying the problem for untold amounts of time (10 months minimum) and we never really heard anything of consequence from their research. We learned that there was a small part of the brain stimulated that was reainimating the body. And if that part was extracted the corpse would not reanimate. But was it a virus? Was it a bacteria? Was it that darned ... ahem... Venus probe? The characters were in a position to have facts to offer.

I know GAR wasn't going to get mired in such details as chemistry or biology, but it was still frustrating.

Gar doesn't get involved in the continuity of a sweater being around roger's waist or supposedly "dead" zombies moving out of the way of falling teepees let alone that other stuff. :lol::lol:

Wouldn't one think that there would have been a last ditch respose from the miliytary of various countries when it was apparent all was lost. )I'd love to see a movie along those lines). Not the nuclear kind of course. That would irreprably damage the planet and the it radioactive for years on end. Or perhaps they were waiting it out underground until the ghouls were no longer mobile and they could reconstitute their respective govt's. Just because we didn't see other underground survivors doesn't mean there weren't any. I'm certain that the president along with other influential people were well taken care of.