PDA

View Full Version : Miguel, crazy or seeking revenge?

Thorn
06-Oct-2008, 07:11 PM
I have to wonder what he was thinking here, or if he was thinking. At the end of Day he basically gives himself up to the zombies as a meal and as a parting shot at his former friends and colleges (liked and disliked) he allows a horde of flesh eating zombies into their sanctuary. On the surface he looks quite mad, he was experiencing abnormal circumstances, showing signs of elevated stress and fatigue.

To make matters worse he is bitten by a zombie and feels so up set about it he runs around saying how it is not his fault. He then has his arm chopped off, and the offending infected appendage cauterized by his female companion.

Now, I think it is safe to say he had a rough go of things. But was he crazy? Was it a combination of stress and fever that caused him to lose his mind and do these things? was he just out for revenge?

I am unsure.

I mean why would he doom Sarah to die at the hands of the zombie horde? He made no effort to find out if she was alive or dead, or anyone else for that matter. He simply went to the surface and in a very "sane" manner incapacitated the lift so that no one could control it from below. If his plan failed the people inside would likely die, buried alive. If he succeeded they would likely be zed food. I also find it odd that he is kissing his religious medallion and making the sign of the cross and then he commits suicide. It is of course "against God" to take your own life. It is also wrong to commit murder.

All in all in watching Day after all this time I am still not sure what was going on with him. Perhaps a combination of all things.

Thoughts?

zombie04
06-Oct-2008, 07:18 PM
I think he was crazy. By that point in the story I believe his mind was so far gone, plus the bite and fever not helping much, that he was not thinking about anybody, including Sarah. There may have been a little bit of spite in his actions towards Rhodes and the others, but all in all I think he was just a loon when he did this.

clanglee
06-Oct-2008, 07:34 PM
We had this discussion not too long ago. I think we agreed that not only was he "spoon in the ass" crazy, but also a closet homosexual. I don't know if the gay thing was a character thing, more likely the actor was kind of a queen and couldn't quite cover it up. Regardless. . I found it kind of distracting to the overall story that the only guy getting any play appeared so. . . well. . .gay.

Thorn
06-Oct-2008, 08:28 PM
Regardless. . I found it kind of distracting to the overall story that the only guy getting any play appeared so. . . well. . .gay.

I LOL'd.

slickwilly13
06-Oct-2008, 08:41 PM
I brought up the fact that I believed the actor was homosexual. After watching the movie several times. *L* I think Miguel over heard what Rhodes said about feeding the others to the zombies. He was awake when it was going on. Probably thought his friends were as good as dead. I think it was revenge and insanity. Because you would have to be crazy to go out that way.

AcesandEights
06-Oct-2008, 08:52 PM
We had this discussion not too long ago. I think we agreed that not only was he "spoon in the ass" crazy, but also a closet homosexual. I don't know if the gay thing was a character thing, more likely the actor was kind of a queen and couldn't quite cover it up. Regardless. . I found it kind of distracting to the overall story that the only guy getting any play appeared so. . . well. . .gay.

Yeah, I remember being annoyed by the direction that the discussion took. :rolleyes: But some people did manage to make some decent points on the matter, IIRC.

MoonSylver
06-Oct-2008, 10:13 PM
Crazy. It had already been hinted at that the character had a religious fixation, by way of the number of medals & talismans he was wearing. Romero has mentioned somewhere that the opening of the gate is seen as a metaphorical opening of the gates of hell as it were. It's a PRIEST who bite Miguel. So perhaps all of these thoughts are in the characters mind as well. Stress, fatigue, fever, & religious fixation perhaps all combined.

Bub666
07-Oct-2008, 12:17 AM
I think he was both crazy and seeking revenge.He knew he was going to die anyway,so thats why he let the zombies in to kill everyone else.

sandrock74
07-Oct-2008, 02:10 AM
I think Miguel was just bat**** insane. I think a combination of the pain from the zombie bite and emergency amputation, his apparant fever, the stress of the movies events (and before the movie had begun even!), his fear from the uncertainty of his possible transformation into a zombie (from the bite), the shock of losing his arm, the headache from John knocking him over the noggin with a rock....well, it all just added up.

Let's face it, Miguel wasn't the most mentally stable character to begin with. As everything compounded, he just went bye bye.

Even crazy people can do calculated things (like sabotaging the lift). I do think he was being completely selfish in his actions and I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot him in the face if I was on to what he was doing. He was selfish and cowardly. "If I might die, then I'll make sure we all die!"

Damn Miguel...

SRP76
07-Oct-2008, 02:17 AM
I think he was just an asswipe that wanted to be sure to bring everyone with him if he has to die.

Miguel should have been shot in the opening scene, when he ran like a bitch, leaving Sarah holding the bullhorn in the middle of the road.

sammylou
07-Oct-2008, 02:37 AM
If you're going to take your own life, why would you do it in that painful of a fashion? Seriously, that's probably one of the most painful ways to die I can imagine. Having teeth rip into your flesh and rip you apart would be awful. Even a crazy person would realize this, so I believe Miguel is just stupid. (Or a masochist)
As for letting the zombies in, I believe he wanted revenge. Revenge on everyone. The soldiers for being cruel, Sarah for not helping him enough, (in his mind) and the others just because he wants to. But still, if he wanted revenge, he could have let the ghouls in without having them maul him to pieces.

sandrock74
07-Oct-2008, 06:44 PM
I think he was just an asswipe that wanted to be sure to bring everyone with him if he has to die.

Miguel should have been shot in the opening scene, when he ran like a bitch, leaving Sarah holding the bullhorn in the middle of the road.

Actually, save the ammo and just leave him there when the helicopter took off. It would have been easier on the fuel too!

DjfunkmasterG
07-Oct-2008, 06:56 PM
I think the actor who portrays Miguel in real life is gay. So it is probably why he comes off as gay when he is in the film.

Definitely light in the loafers, gayer than a handbasket full of rainbows.

Bub666
07-Oct-2008, 06:56 PM

Yeah,Miguel is my least favorite character out of all of Gar's zombie movies.

major jay
08-Oct-2008, 12:05 AM
I think the actor who portrays Miguel in real life is gay. Definitely light in the loafers, gayer than a handbasket full of rainbows.

I agree.

darth los
08-Oct-2008, 12:32 AM
I have to wonder what he was thinking here, or if he was thinking. At the end of Day he basically gives himself up to the zombies as a meal and as a parting shot at his former friends and colleges (liked and disliked) he allows a horde of flesh eating zombies into their sanctuary. On the surface he looks quite mad, he was experiencing abnormal circumstances, showing signs of elevated stress and fatigue.

To make matters worse he is bitten by a zombie and feels so up set about it he runs around saying how it is not his fault. He then has his arm chopped off, and the offending infected appendage cauterized by his female companion.

Now, I think it is safe to say he had a rough go of things. But was he crazy? Was it a combination of stress and fever that caused him to lose his mind and do these things? was he just out for revenge?

I am unsure.

I mean why would he doom Sarah to die at the hands of the zombie horde? He made no effort to find out if she was alive or dead, or anyone else for that matter. He simply went to the surface and in a very "sane" manner incapacitated the lift so that no one could control it from below. If his plan failed the people inside would likely die, buried alive. If he succeeded they would likely be zed food. I also find it odd that he is kissing his religious medallion and making the sign of the cross and then he commits suicide. It is of course "against God" to take your own life. It is also wrong to commit murder.

All in all in watching Day after all this time I am still not sure what was going on with him. Perhaps a combination of all things.

Thoughts?

Well, first off, as we saw the lift wasn't the only way to get out. But apparently the soldiers thought so the way they shh8t their pants when they saw the lift topside and the guts ripped out of the control panel.

When you mention that he didn't even think about sarah's welfare, I believe that's when the gay rumors started. I mean for all intents annd purposes the had has the only female left in the world and this is the way he acts!?! But that's hollywood i guess. Because any realist knows that she would have gotten gangbanged somewhere along the way.

Which brings me to rhodes and his men. If miguel was gay then they were flaming. You mean to tell me that a group of heterosexual men would shove the only woman around into a coral infested with those thiings!?! It looks as if they couldn't wait to get rid of her so they could check each other's oil.

:cool:

Bub666
08-Oct-2008, 12:36 AM
It looks as if they couldn't wait to get rid of her so they could check each other's oil.

:lol::lol::lol:

clanglee
08-Oct-2008, 12:38 AM
Which brings me to rhodes and his men. If miguel was gay then they were flaming. You mean to tell me that a group of heterosexual men would shove the only woman around into a coral infested with those thiings!?! It looks as if they couldn't wait to get rid of her so they could check each other's oil.

Excellent point, but once again. .I don't think the character Miguel was gay, just the actor. Really poor casting if you ask me.

darth los
08-Oct-2008, 12:52 AM
Excellent point, but once again. .I don't think the character Miguel was gay, just the actor. Really poor casting if you ask me.

Truthfully, I don't think he was either. Although you'd have to admit, it could definitely be interpreted that way.

Thorn
08-Oct-2008, 12:33 PM
I think he was at least very effeminate, and I agree he was horribly cast. I was not sure if we were supposed to feel sorry for him or not but I never did. I disliked him from the minute he ran away from a woman on the street with zombies approaching. Again it is about team they were there together, man or woman but of course something a little extra in me says he should protect her maybe that is just me.

But he takes off at a sprint, and never looks back. Should she be following sure. But the thing is you move out as a unit and watch each others back you do not run like a little girl arms flailing wildly away from the person you are teamed with.

I know that they had said there was an old silo in the back, so someone was aware there was at least the possibility of another way out. Maybe Miguel in his fever induced delirium thought that his friends would make it there successfully through a cave full of the living dead. I just have to doubt that.

I think he was crazy, and spiteful. I think he wanted to kill everyone inside. To the point made already in this thread he may very well have thought his friends were already dead, or he may not have cared, or he may have been so far gone he wanted them to die too or they may not have entered his mind.

Either way personally, I think he was both crazy and bent on revenge.