PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 5 'meh' reviews

capncnut
09-Oct-2008, 10:26 PM
After OXM give it a dire 6.5, IGN follow suit with 6.7. :(

Click (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/914/914944p1.html) for article.

Anyone played this yet?

Cody
09-Oct-2008, 11:39 PM
I knew it was gonna be a "meh" type game

clanglee
09-Oct-2008, 11:59 PM
Didn't even know that a new Silent Hill was in the works. . much less released

Danny
10-Oct-2008, 12:31 AM
Didn't even know that a new Silent Hill was in the works. . much less released

really?, you know pj on here was one of the writers for it right?

clanglee
10-Oct-2008, 12:49 AM
really?, you know pj on here was one of the writers for it right?

Nope. . .did not know that.

PJoseph
10-Oct-2008, 01:16 AM
And here I am...

and regarding the "meh" reviews - we've actually gotten some good reviews from Kotaku, Destructoid and Variety. There are a lot of haters.

However, regardless of the site reviews, the fan sites - who once targeted the game as a failure - have some fantastic reviews and postings.

www.silenthill5.net is the biggest fan site in the US.

So, for what it's worth, look around to the fans as well who write reviews....

pJ

clanglee
10-Oct-2008, 01:20 AM
Well, that's pretty darn cool man. How does one get a gig like that?!?!? I hope it does well. I might have to check it out whenever I get myself a next gen console.(my sis, took her's back.:()

Danny
10-Oct-2008, 01:29 AM
And here I am...

and regarding the "meh" reviews - we've actually gotten some good reviews from Kotaku, Destructoid and Variety. There are a lot of haters.

However, regardless of the site reviews, the fan sites - who once targeted the game as a failure - have some fantastic reviews and postings.

www.silenthill5.net is the biggest fan site in the US.

So, for what it's worth, look around to the fans as well who write reviews....

pJ

i think a lot of its the stigma of it being out of the original team silents hands and being worked on by western developers instead of eastern. i know lots of people ive spoke to about it found that to be there biggest worry.
Plus origins was pretty lame, and as time goes on i find myself liking that less and less.

but as for bad gameplay reviews, silent hills NEVER had good controls, 4's were terrible but it had a fantastic story.

but its still not out here so im still waiting all excited for 5's release.

capncnut
10-Oct-2008, 01:33 AM
but as for bad gameplay reviews, silent hills NEVER had good controls, 4's were terrible but it had a fantastic story.
Yes but wasn't this promised to be addressed with SH5?

I do intend on buying this nonetheless, just a little sad about the official reviews. Fan reviews are cool and all but many are swayed by loyalty. I guess I'm just too fanatical about the second game in the series to take any sequel seriously, unfortunately.

Danny
10-Oct-2008, 01:36 AM
I do intend on buying this nonetheless, just a little sad about the official reviews. Fan reviews are cool and all but many are swayed by loyalty. I guess I'm just too fanatical about the second game in the series to take any sequel seriously, unfortunately.

i kind of agree, i personally disliked origins, but on my site gave it an alright, non biased, review, but in truth it would never have compared to 2, thats just the ultimate survival horror, years on and its still like a movie, one of the first video games that could be considered an interactive movie as well as a game.

-one thing bugs me though, it was changed to homecoming and 5 was removed form the title, just like the room, and we know the room was never intended to be a main game but a spin off. did konami order this name change?, did they think 5 would be better as a spin off whilst they decide to secretly work on another themselves just in case?

sorry, too much heroes lately, im plot twit crazy right now, but you never know...

capncnut
10-Oct-2008, 01:44 AM
i kind of agree, i personally disliked origins, but on my site gave it an alright, non biased, review, but in truth it would never have compared to 2, thats just the ultimate survival horror, years on and its still like a movie, one of the first video games that could be considered an interactive movie as well as a game.
Indeed, SH2 is untouchable. Like I have said here many, many, many (Lassard style), many times, the game moves me deeply. It is a shining example of how games should be made, period.

PJoseph
10-Oct-2008, 02:00 AM
We actually always had a subtitle - just not a working one - so when the game was announced, it just fell into Silent Hill 5 until the title was finalized.

And regarding the fan reviews comments - I was referring to fans who hated, hated, hated the idea of the game without Team Silent and then came around once they played the game. We had a lot of skeptics (still do!) - and then they played the game.

pJ

Bub666
10-Oct-2008, 02:36 AM
I don't care what the review says,I can't wait to play this game.:D

MikePizzoff
11-Oct-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm still going to buy it. Screw the bad reviews... I love the series.

SymphonicX
11-Oct-2008, 04:18 PM
I took Silent Hill 3 back to the shop and told the guy it ****ing unnerved me too much.

So there's no way I'm buying this one...I don't mind survival horror, but survival horror against those things and playing as a little girl with a flashlight for protection? No thanks.

Danny
11-Oct-2008, 10:44 PM
I took Silent Hill 3 back to the shop and told the guy it ****ing unnerved me too much.

So there's no way I'm buying this one...I don't mind survival horror, but survival horror against those things and playing as a little girl with a flashlight for protection? No thanks.

so the things that make it a survival horror, horrific scenes, vulnerable looking protagonist and low lighting, are what put you off it?:D

Bub666
12-Oct-2008, 12:07 AM

I thought Silent Hill 3 was a great game.I had no problem with it at all.

capncnut
12-Oct-2008, 12:24 AM
I thought Silent Hill 3 was a great game.I had no problem with it at all.
SH3 was alright but 1,3,4 (and 5 it seems) are absolutely nothing when compared to SH2. Combined. While it's very easy to finish (even on it's hardest settings), it's a game that still blows away on every level.

Bub666
12-Oct-2008, 02:55 AM
SH3 was alright but 1,3,4 (and 5 it seems) are absolutely nothing when compared to SH2. Combined. While it's very easy to finish (even on it's hardest settings), it's a game that still blows away on every level.

Yeah I agree,Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game.