PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dead film Opening?

Doc
09-Oct-2008, 10:37 PM
It a tough choice for me. Night's Opening is just legendary for its simpleness, Dawn's is also effective for being how relastic it felt, Day's was just plain scary for me the first time! and while I'm not fond of Land I though its opening was fairly interesting.

bassman
09-Oct-2008, 10:52 PM
Day is my favorite film....but for opening sequences I had to go with Dawn.

The dream sequence in Day always kinda threw me off, but Dawn has that same "BOOM"(you're in the sh*t) feeling without the dream. Dawn immediately dropped you into a realistic environment of people freaking out over the problem.

I do love Day's post-dream sequence, but I'll have to go with Dawn for the opening...

acealive1
10-Oct-2008, 01:24 AM
dawn had me, its like we joined it in progress and were afraid to turn away fearing we'd miss more than we already have

Danny
10-Oct-2008, 01:33 AM
i liked lands, that slow track across a town full of zombies, at first theres no humans, no carnage, there just existing, no chatter, no music, just the odd noise from them. its a very nice shot thats the first thing that springs to mind for me in that movie.

Bub666
10-Oct-2008, 02:43 AM
I voted for Day,that was a classic opening.

ProfessorChaos
10-Oct-2008, 02:56 AM
dawn's opening scenes of pandemonium and society spinning out of control are hands down one of the best openings in any movie ever....except for the opening for "way of the gun"

5xsaMcw69D8

3pidemiC
10-Oct-2008, 03:12 AM
Day's hands down. That opening shot of the city....ohhhh man...

DjfunkmasterG
10-Oct-2008, 04:44 AM
Day of the Dead by far had the best opening... In fact I am going to pop it in and watch it right now.

MoonSylver
10-Oct-2008, 04:56 AM
Tough one...love "Dawn's" in media res opening where you hit the ground running & don't stop, but I chose "Day" just for the sheer scale of it & the awesome "post apocalyptic-ness" of it...it suspect it's the closest to the "urban" scenario that most have dancing through their heads as a "what I'd like to see..."

dawn's opening scenes of pandemonium and society spinning out of control are hands down one of the best openings in any movie ever....except for the opening for "way of the gun"

5xsaMcw69D8

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"shut that c*nt's mouth or I'll come over there and f*ckstart her head"

Classic. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
10-Oct-2008, 04:58 AM
Yep its confirmed, Day is the best. Watching it right now, and that empty decaying city is just really freaking creepy.

I wish Romero would do something on that scale with a future Dead film.

EvilNed
10-Oct-2008, 11:44 AM
Day, hands down. After that, probably Dawn.

I would have placed Diary third, if it weren't for the fact that the characters immediately accept that people are coming back from the dead. I mean, that's just something that would take some getting used too, if you ask me.

Mike70
10-Oct-2008, 12:01 PM
day. there isn't a doubt in my mind. a classic opening to my favorite film in the series.

Trin
10-Oct-2008, 02:08 PM
I decided to vote Land. Even though I bash the crap out of Land on many topics - I love the opening. It was really cool to see the scavenging crew at work, see the callousness of Cholo, the frustration of Riley, and the simple-minded efficiency of Charlie. They did a great job of establishing the characters. I loved the sweeps over the town. I loved the creepy music. I loved the lighting. I loved the fireworks twist. When Dead Reckoning goes rolling through town I remember thinking, "Yeah, now that's how you handle living in a post-zombie world!!"

However, I won't argue with anyone who voted for Day. It has an incredible opening too. If you forgot the sense of desperation and fear that Dawn left you with you get violently reacquainted with it as Miguel and Sarah see that horde of zombies approaching.

MaximusIncredulous
10-Oct-2008, 03:15 PM
Went with Dawn. When seeing it for the first time, the chaos and Goblin's relentless boom boom, made me feel as if the living dead would burst into the TV studio at any moment.

Thorn
10-Oct-2008, 03:18 PM
I find it hard to pick just one here.

While a bit "jump tactic" and cliche I loved Day's Dream sequence with the hands through the wall. Still makes me jump a bit from time to time... and I know it is coming.

Dawn of course captured the panic and confusion of the situation very well, there is some HORRIBLE acting during this scene though which takes away from it a great deal. The skinny hippie throwing his hands in the air, the idiot making rabbit ears. Some of it makes little sense, and some of it is just so poorly done that I shake my head every time... the security guard who walks off the post with his 70-80's hair cant properly "exit stage left even".

Night was classic, and it translates okay to modern cinema. The shots are held dangerously too long, but it follows the classic film school formulas nicely and of course helped establish the genre.

Land I think was well filmed, and cinimatically the best of the lot of them. In my personal opinion.High budget, modern, well acted, great musical score, and great camera work.

But honestly, I love them all.

horrormad
10-Oct-2008, 03:33 PM
Dawn's opening was great.

darth los
10-Oct-2008, 04:53 PM
I find it hard to pick just one here.

While a bit "jump tactic" and cliche I loved Day's Dream sequence with the hands through the wall. Still makes me jump a bit from time to time... and I know it is coming.

Dawn of course captured the panic and confusion of the situation very well, there is some HORRIBLE acting during this scene though which takes away from it a great deal. The skinny hippie throwing his hands in the air, the idiot making rabbit ears. Some of it makes little sense, and some of it is just so poorly done that I shake my head every time... the security guard who walks off the post with his 70-80's hair cant properly "exit stage left even".

Night was classic, and it translates okay to modern cinema. The shots are held dangerously too long, but it follows the classic film school formulas nicely and of course helped establish the genre.

Land I think was well filmed, and cinimatically the best of the lot of them. In my personal opinion.High budget, modern, well acted, great musical score, and great camera work.

But honestly, I love them all.

I voted dawn of the dead. I just love when the little girl jumps up and makes those noises. :p

:cool:

major jay
10-Oct-2008, 08:35 PM
I got to go with Night. A caring religious minded girl and her ****head atheistic brother are immediately thrown into a nilhilistic world where you can't be sure who's freind or foe.

capncnut
10-Oct-2008, 08:58 PM
Dawn Of The Dead is my favourite film of the series by miles but the opening sequence to Day was way more epic. So that's what I chose.

RustyHicks
11-Oct-2008, 08:21 PM
Dawn...Just the opening music as the words Dawn of the Dead appear
on the screen and then the caos that follows. You could almost feel the
panic and desperation and know it's going to be one hell of a ride

MikePizzoff
11-Oct-2008, 10:08 PM
Day! I love the baron streets of Florida.

DawnGirl27
12-Oct-2008, 11:23 PM
Dawn is my favorite, but as far as openings, I'm going with Land. I liked seeing how people were coping, surviving, and rebuilding in the future.

lullubelle
12-Oct-2008, 11:40 PM
I would say Night, waiting for the moment you know, a simple trip to turn wrong.Still gives me the chills.

Debbieangel
11-Nov-2010, 12:54 AM
I voted Night but I have loved every one of GAR's openings in his movies...simply eye catching..makes you wanna sit back clutch your seat and wait for the action to begin.

Doc
11-Nov-2010, 02:10 AM
^^^^^

Agreed! Even Land despite, the hate has a great opening! Just seeing the zombies wandering around minding their own business was interesting enough!

shootemindehead
11-Nov-2010, 09:19 AM
Day...

There's no real competition.

Land next.

Neil
11-Nov-2010, 07:54 PM
Day...

There's no real competition.

Land next.Agreed!

The opening of Land was great! Shame it nose dived a bit from there!

That said, the studio scene from Dawn was fairly epic too! It perfectly set the scene that society was collapsing but people were in denial!

JDFP
11-Nov-2010, 08:15 PM
"Night '68" for me. The combination of the countryside where everything is quiet and peaceful and the melodramatic music mixed together -- knowing something bad is about to happen. The grainy feel of it really helps as well.

Something about being on a country road all by myself with seemingly no one around for miles creeps me out, personally.

j.p.

Philly_SWAT
11-Nov-2010, 08:40 PM
Very tough choice, as I like them all. But I had to go with the Day opening...very cool. I especially like the pan down the bank with the gator on the steps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl7amsRQCgA

Gryphon
12-Nov-2010, 11:02 PM
Day of the Dead by far had the best opening... In fact I am going to pop it in and watch it right now.

"The Dead Walk!" :D Loved the moments preceding and following the title sequence. The Jawless Zombie, the newspaper, the crock, all the zombies rousing and shuffling slowly towards the chopper... great stuff :)

Land's opening was good too.... Love the first few minutes of Land.. then switch back to Day :P

deadpunk
14-Nov-2010, 05:11 PM
I had to go with Land. The opening is just awesome. Too bad the rest of the film doesn't live up to the first 5 minutes :lol:

Legion2213
14-Nov-2010, 05:17 PM
Tough call.

Dawn: - We see eveything going to Hell

Day: - We see everything has gone to Hell

Toss up between the two, although Day really grips with Migs shouting "Helloooo" to the empty city, then we see the dead re-activating.

Edit: Voted for Day, I see that most others have as well. :)

Andy
14-Nov-2010, 05:29 PM
I voted for night, and i can sum up why in 6 words.

Their coming to get you barbara.

That phrase haunted my childhood.

DEAD BEAT
14-Nov-2010, 07:59 PM
It a tough choice for me. Night's Opening is just legendary for its simpleness, Dawn's is also effective for being how relastic it felt, Day's was just plain scary for me the first time! and while I'm not fond of Land I though its opening was fairly interesting.

I think its tough to choose mainly because they are very different from eachother....all very effective in their own way to me! ;)

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2010, 01:49 AM
I think its tough to choose mainly because they are very different from eachother....all very effective in their own way to me! ;)

Yep, DB is right. It seems like a no brainer to go w/ Day (which is the popular choice, for obvious reasons), but each really is effective in their own way. :)

Deaths_Shadow
15-Nov-2010, 05:22 AM
Day as well. I don't know why but it seems so perfect with the visuals and the music is so fitting not to mention its intense from the start. I can watch the beginning over and over and over again.

tkane18
15-Nov-2010, 02:26 PM
I voted for Day but I love how all the opening scenes of Night, Dawn and Day just suck you right into the movie. They're all excellent.

ProfessorChaos
15-Nov-2010, 04:58 PM
didn't realize this was such an old thread, tried to vote in it again...then i saw that i already chose dawn, was gonna pick that again, so i guess my opinion hasn't changed...to me, it feels like all the way till they arrive at the mall it's a part of one great opening sequence.

but i still love way of the gun's intro and seeing that loudmouth sarah silverman get called a cunt and punched in her big fucking mouth:elol:

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2010, 05:18 PM
but i still love way of the gun's intro and seeing that loudmouth sarah silverman get called a cunt and punched in her big fucking mouth:elol:

:lol: That whole opening lets you know you're in for something great. "She's gotta big mouth, but she aint kidding. I'm gonna whip ya silly and I'm gonna fuck ya stupid." :lol:

deadpunk
15-Nov-2010, 05:24 PM
who's ready to do the man dance?

JDFP
15-Nov-2010, 05:29 PM
but i still love way of the gun's intro and seeing that loudmouth sarah silverman get called a cunt and punched in her big fucking mouth

This I will have to find and see now. Sarah Silverman is the most annoying cunt on the face of earth. I'd be happy to see a film in which she is punched in the mouth for being the filthy bitch that she is as a person.

I'm not normally so mean spirited, I just hate her.

j.p.

ProfessorChaos
15-Nov-2010, 05:31 PM
when did i change my name to tkane18?

eQLXYu6plhg

sorry, embedding not allowed, gotta follow the link...fucking jewtube.

JDFP
15-Nov-2010, 05:58 PM
when did i change my name to tkane18?

eQLXYu6plhg

sorry, embedding not allowed, gotta follow the link...fucking jewtube.

Sorry about the tkane thing, I have no idea how the hell that happened.

Fantastic video though. It has made my whole day just seeing that loud mouthed nasty bitch get punched.

j.p.

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2010, 11:04 PM
And the rest of the movie is great too! :lol: Written & directed by Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote "The Usual Suspects." Great stuff.

fishfast41
30-Nov-2010, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone, I have finally joined after lots of lurking,and I'm wondering why it took me so long to do it. LOL, I've been watching these movies over and over again for years. Anyhow, although my favorite opening from the choices listed is Day, I also must say that I think the 1st 15 minutes or so of the Dawn remake tops 'em all. It just drops ya right in there,grabs ya, and doesnt let go till Ana nails the tree with her car.

Andy
01-Dec-2010, 12:40 AM
Hello everyone, I have finally joined after lots of lurking,and I'm wondering why it took me so long to do it. LOL, I've been watching these movies over and over again for years. Anyhow, although my favorite opening from the choices listed is Day, I also must say that I think the 1st 15 minutes or so of the Dawn remake tops 'em all. It just drops ya right in there,grabs ya, and doesnt let go till Ana nails the tree with her car.

To be fair, the first 15 minutes of of the dawn remake are pretty fucking good and i dunno if anyone can deny that.

krisvds
01-Dec-2010, 02:03 PM
Voted Day of the dead.

'Hello. Is anyone there?' Perfect opening. Everything comes together in those opening minutes; Romero's direction, the make-up, the soundtrack. The creepiness of it all.

Dawn is a close second though. That chaos in the studio had me terrified as a kid before I had even seen one zombie.
Tonally very different from what he's doing these past few years.
Though those opening scenes on the island (the father keeping his undead kids chained to their beds) in Survival are pretty nice as well. Shame he's mostly playing it for laughs for the rest of the film.

Dawn remake? A bit over the top no? Too 'Michael Bay' for me.

BillyRay
01-Dec-2010, 02:15 PM
Dawn is a close second though. That chaos in the studio had me terrified as a kid before I had even seen one zombie.

I kept expecting zombie hands to break through the shag wall carpeting behind Fran...

Neil
01-Dec-2010, 09:21 PM
To be fair, the first 15 minutes of of the dawn remake are pretty fucking good and i dunno if anyone can deny that.

It was good except for three rediculously stupid things:-
1) Ninja gravity defying zombie girl neighbour - Why did she need to spring around like that? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
2) 'Infected' eyes boyfriend - Why the need to change his eyes within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
3) 'Godzilla cries' - Why did her boyfriend's lungs change within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.

But none-the-less, the first 15 mins was pretty damn good... Shame the rest of it dropped in quality (IMHO)...

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 09:30 PM
The neighbor girl defies gravity just like the rest of the veloci-zombies. Look at the one that jumps from the bottom of the stairs to the stair rail after the sewer scene. Stupid stuff.

But yeah...the intro is pretty cool in a frantic "holy shit!" kind of way. It still doesn't pack the dreadful punch that Romero managed in Dawn/Day, though.

Andy
02-Dec-2010, 12:28 AM
Im just saying i can see where the guy is coming from, the opening 15 minutes, up to and including the opening credits complete with johnny cash, is amazing. Its a real shame that the rest of the movie dosnt keep the pace up after that.

Personally, night of the living dead still gets my vote, my favourite movie ever. my favourite opening to any movie ever.

Debbieangel
06-Dec-2010, 12:48 AM
Im just saying i can see where the guy is coming from, the opening 15 minutes, up to and including the opening credits complete with johnny cash, is amazing. Its a real shame that the rest of the movie dosnt keep the pace up after that.

Personally, night of the living dead still gets my vote, my favourite movie ever. my favourite opening to any movie ever.

EXACTLY couldn't have said it better myself Andy!
One of my fav's is the opening of Night '90...that was really cool how they did that, if you notice GAR's openings in his movies are real grabbers. Sucks you right in...gets you ready to settle down and watch a ZOMBIE movie!!!!!!

JonOfTheShred
06-Dec-2010, 04:20 AM
The opening to Dawn '04 was pretty cool...still ain't as awesome as it could've been if it was a faithful remake. The original has a way cooler opening. The whole apartment complex fight followed by the feast of the apartments dead

acealive1
09-Dec-2010, 03:50 AM
It was good except for three rediculously stupid things:-
1) Ninja gravity defying zombie girl neighbour - Why did she need to spring around like that? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
2) 'Infected' eyes boyfriend - Why the need to change his eyes within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.
3) 'Godzilla cries' - Why did her boyfriend's lungs change within 30 seconds of being dead? The audience isn't stupid, no need to treat them as such with stupid 'hints'.

But none-the-less, the first 15 mins was pretty damn good... Shame the rest of it dropped in quality (IMHO)...

the boyfriend had the rage symptoms like 28 days later more than anything. there wasnt anything zombie about him