PDA

View Full Version : need help!

Salvatore
10-Oct-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi. I shot a reinterpretation/remake of a scene of the great "NOTLD". I am planning to print some copies in my country (Italy), but they say they want my authorization for the music (I used the very same ones from the original movie). Now, I've heard these musics are no longer protected by copyright, as they have a "creative common" licence. Is this so? If yes, how can I prove this to the copyrights agency? If not, is there a way I can contact these guys that made the music?
Thank you.

PJoseph
10-Oct-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, the film itself may fall under Creative Common license now as there are Public Domain version of the film, but I don't think that using the music OUTSIDE of the film would fall under that same rule - it most likely is still held by a copyright's holder.

If you want to use the music from the film, you may have to hunt down the publisher of the music and pay a license for it. Since the music was library music, it might be hard to track down the current rights holder. HOWEVER, Varese Saraband did publish the music on record - you may want to contact them and see if they can track down the current rights holders.

You can also look at the rules of Public Domain and see how it works for stripping the music from the film. Also, the work may not be PD worldwide as well.

It can get very complicated if you can't hire someone to dig for you.

pJ