PDA

View Full Version : Death Magnetic

Minerva_Zombi
14-Oct-2008, 05:08 AM
Who else has checked out the new Metallica album? Whats the overall consensus? I dig it. Very old school. Maybe that'll shut up all the whiney thrash losers. lol.

capncnut
14-Oct-2008, 06:43 AM
Who else has checked out the new Metallica album? Whats the overall consensus? I dig it. Very old school. Maybe that'll shut up all the whiney thrash losers. lol.
LOL, Metallica haven't been the same since their third album. I've heard most of Death Magnetic - a good few months ago - it's okay but no great shakes.

MinionZombie
14-Oct-2008, 10:45 AM
I actually really like Death Magnetic.

Was totally turned off by St Anger, which was almost entirely poo (save for a few of the thrashing moments, like in the title track before the pace gets run over by a brick wall and grinds to a halt :lol:).

But aye, I've listened to DM a few times now and I really dig it, I've had it playing through my head as well which is a good sign too (occasionally annoying when I've had The Day That Never Comes literally squatting in my brain claiming squatter's rights for an entire day ... a day that I was feeling ill too, so that was annoying, haha) ... but yeah, I really dig this new album - MUCH more like it, and kinda somewhere between their earlier stuff and The Black Album, which is fine by me! :cool::)

Skippy911sc
14-Oct-2008, 02:10 PM
It was the loss of their hair...

MikePizzoff
14-Oct-2008, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't say it's very old school at all. It sounds more like somebody trying to take old school thrash and give it a modern twist... which just falls flat. I mean, it's the best thing they've put out in the past 18 years, but I don't think it's good by any means.

I gave up after Re-Load.

EDIT: No, this does not mean I enjoy the Black Album, Load, or Re-Load... I just knew after Re-Load came out that all hope was completely lost and I'd just be wasting my time wishing for another great album by them.

bassman
14-Oct-2008, 02:18 PM
Listened to a bit of this at my brother's the other day. I've never really been into Metallica all that much. There were a few decent things spread throughout the album, but overall it's a lackluster and redundant experience.

IMO, Metallica's stuff is mostly cut and paste. They've had a few good ideas here and there over the years, but it's all very much the same to my ears. They should try branching out more instead of still trying the same thing after what....20+ years? Just don't branch out like St Anger. ugh...

AcesandEights
14-Oct-2008, 03:14 PM
I listened to it a little bit this weekend and was unimpressed. It's okay but nothing I really enjoyed. I am, however, neither a big Metallica nor metal aficionado.

MikePizzoff
14-Oct-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe that'll shut up all the whiney thrash losers.

I'm not sure how to take this statement. Are you saying that all thrash fans are whiney and/or losers (which in turn would make me question if you were one of those elitist new-wave power-metal people)? Or are you simply talking about the ones constantly complaining about Metallica's latest endeavors?

Bub666
15-Oct-2008, 12:19 AM
I haven't listen to Metallica in a few years.I haven't really liked any of their new stuff.I'll probably check this out sometime.

Minerva_Zombi
15-Oct-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm not sure how to take this statement. Are you saying that all thrash fans are whiney and/or losers (which in turn would make me question if you were one of those elitist new-wave power-metal people)? Or are you simply talking about the ones constantly complaining about Metallica's latest endeavors?

I'm talking about the guys who's train of thought is constantly, "Man, this isn't Ride The Lightning! This sucks!" I mean... Slayer's new stuff isn't Reign In Blood but, nobody bitches about them. Ride The Lightning was ages ago. If were in a band, the music i'd make now would be NOTHING like the music I'd make 5 years ago. You gotta listen to albums as seperate works of art. I love St. Anger. I'm in the minority but id go as far to say its their most enjoyable album to me. Its unique. The lyrics are interesting and the music is the same old crap with 5 minutes of ego-feeding solos. It was a fresh product. But I do like the new album cuz I do prefer Metallica's first four albums after St. Anger. Load and Reload weren't even that bad IMO. Garage Inc. is pretty sweet too. The only metallica album I really dont like is The Black Album. Wow... Didn't mean to go on a long rant like that. lol

Mike70
15-Oct-2008, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't say it's very old school at all. It sounds more like somebody trying to take old school thrash and give it a modern twist... which just falls flat. I mean, it's the best thing they've put out in the past 18 years, but I don't think it's good by any means.

what the pizz said. it certainly sounds like they are trying to be something they aren't anymore. it has some decent moments but isn't anything to flip for a peanut over.

... Slayer's new stuff isn't Reign In Blood but, nobody bitches about them.

slayer have never fallen to the depths of sh*t that metallica has. they've never done songs that are FM friendly, vomit inducing garbage like "hero of the day, "ain't my bitch", "fuel", "unforgiven II", etc. load and reload (and most of the black album) should be gathered up and shot into the sun, never to be heard from again.

Minerva_Zombi
15-Oct-2008, 04:52 PM
what the pizz said. it certainly sounds like they are trying to be something they aren't anymore. it has some decent moments but isn't anything to flip for a peanut over.

slayer have never fallen to the depths of sh*t that metallica has. they've never done songs that are FM friendly, vomit inducing garbage like "hero of the day, "ain't my bitch", "fuel", "unforgiven II", etc. load and reload (and most of the black album) should be gathered up and shot into the sun, never to be heard from again.

So, you're saying that since Metallica wrote radio friendly songs, they suck? I don't get how if a band reaches a larger audience than they once did, they're sell outs... thats stupid. Plus, I like Slayer but I'd rather listen to Load or Reload than an entire Slayer CD. It all sounds the same and it gets pretty repetitive and bored after track 5. At least Metallica has the balls to expand and try new things.

Mike70
15-Oct-2008, 05:18 PM
So, you're saying that since Metallica wrote radio friendly songs, they suck? I don't get how if a band reaches a larger audience than they once did, they're sell outs... thats stupid. Plus, I like Slayer but I'd rather listen to Load or Reload than an entire Slayer CD. It all sounds the same and it gets pretty repetitive and bored after track 5. At least Metallica has the balls to expand and try new things.

no minerva, you are the one who is stupid if you'd rather listen load or reload. i am not going to argue with a kid who wasn't even born when the scene was in its heyday and who has no idea of what thrash really was like when it was a totally underground and club bound scene.

there's trying new things then there is going from songs like damage inc., fight fire with fire, disposable heroes, et al. to putrid crap like "hero of the day", "nothing else matters" and "ain't my bitch." metallica ceased being a thrash band almost 20 years ago. they are complete and total sell outs in the original sense of the word. deal with that and get over it. i quit having any respect for them when i heard the black album.

horrormad
15-Oct-2008, 06:08 PM
Personally I hate Metallica.

Minerva_Zombi
15-Oct-2008, 08:18 PM
no minerva, you are the one who is stupid if you'd rather listen load or reload. i am not going to argue with a kid who wasn't even born when the scene was in its heyday and who has no idea of what thrash really was like when it was a totally underground and club bound scene.

there's trying new things then there is going from songs like damage inc., fight fire with fire, disposable heroes, et al. to putrid crap like "hero of the day", "nothing else matters" and "ain't my bitch." metallica ceased being a thrash band almost 20 years ago. they are complete and total sell outs in the original sense of the word. deal with that and get over it. i quit having any respect for them when i heard the black album.

So I'm stupid to prefer to listen to something that you don't necessarily agree with? lol. :lol:

Well, I'm not going to argue with someone who's too old to stay ahead of the curve on things when it comes to music. Thrash is dead. And has been dead for 20 years. Metallica was just smart enough to realize it and move on to other things before they became just as dated as thrash and eventually burn out into obscurity.

horrormad
15-Oct-2008, 08:24 PM
Easy way of ending this argument.

Metallica is a load of sh*t.

MikePizzoff
16-Oct-2008, 11:37 PM
Thrash is dead. And has been dead for 20 years.

It has not been dead for 20 years, jerk!