PDA

View Full Version : MI: 3 = Big Fat Flop

DjfunkmasterG
07-May-2006, 05:25 AM
http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2006-05-05&p=.htm

$17,000,000 in one day - Total weekend gross will probably only be $45 million

This film will not make any profit in the gold US box office. People are sick of Tom Cruise.

EvilNed
07-May-2006, 05:39 AM
The other flicks made most of their money overseas.

MinionZombie
07-May-2006, 10:40 AM
Hmmm ... time to download a copy me thinks :D Never saw the others in the cinema, more of a rental brand to me. Got the first two on VHS. There's an alright looking CAM out there, so I'll probably just watch that as I'm not fussed either way about M:I3.

kortick
07-May-2006, 05:04 PM
i never liked any of the MI films

they are the truest example of hollywood garbage

make a movie about an old tv show
pay some actors way too much
live off the hype and make any many sequels as you can

we want fresh ideas with good actors

and yes i think tom cruise has become a joke
i used to like him
but now he represents the rot that has seeped into hollywood

sad that films like this get greenlighted
and get huge budgets when
someone like romero has to go thru hoops to get anything done

what a world...

DjfunkmasterG
07-May-2006, 05:20 PM
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

I was only off by $3,000,000 Total weekend box office (Est) $48,000,000!

Finally, his reign of Terror has come to an end! :D

Cody
07-May-2006, 05:29 PM
actually im not going to see it or rent it

MinionZombie
07-May-2006, 05:43 PM
pfft, I'm totally sure Cruise is a zombie, he'll never go down, his ego has grown too big now and it defends his 'sweet spot' like a bullet proof vest, no pink mist for you Dj.

MinionZombie
07-May-2006, 05:50 PM
I must agree the Hollywood really is in a slump at the moment and is just resorting to "what can we license this time?", I hear "Underdog" is getting turned into a movie, not that I think it ever came over to the UK, but I heard about it because Jason "because the other three are a figment of your f*cking imagination" Lee is apparently going to be the voice.

EvilNed
07-May-2006, 05:52 PM
This film is already a success. 48 million opening weekend in the US only. Mission Impossible 2 opened at 57 million and made a ****load of money (more than it deserved). Also, these 48 were domestic only. It'll probably make more than 250 million overseas.

And let's not forget all the marketing deals the company has struck. Wouldn't surprise me if they've covered 90 million already (some big hollywood films make back their money even BEFORE they open!! There's some big bucks in advertising)

EDIT: I'd also like to point out many other films started out weak and then went on to become a success. Many May releases counting! Troy, for example, didn't exactly have a stellar opening weekend but it in the end it made lots of cash.

MinionZombie
07-May-2006, 05:59 PM
Oh yeh there's no doubt this movie will do big business, the first of the summer blockbusters afterall ... and then there's the legion of Cruise lovers and JJ Abrams fans. I'll watch it, it'll probably be solid fun, but it won't go in any of my "top/best" lists.

EvilNed
07-May-2006, 06:55 PM
I won't watch it. The second Mission Impossible film was horrible, and the trailer for Mission Impossible 3 was horrible. Just a bunch of explosions, wow I'm intrigued.

zombie04
07-May-2006, 08:03 PM
It's kind of a shame really. This movie was a whole lot better than MI2 because it wasn't infected with constant John Woo slow-motion shots.

Neil
07-May-2006, 08:26 PM
It's kind of a shame really. This movie was a whole lot better than MI2 because it wasn't infected with constant John Woo slow-motion shots.

So it's worth seeing?

Tullaryx
08-May-2006, 02:56 PM
Whether the film does better box-office overseas and marketing rights have been sold prior to the film's release, the mentality of movie-goers here in the US pretty much demands that such films make 60-80 million on opening weekend. The estimated production budget for MI3 is around 150 million dollars. The studio hasn't released, and probably won't release, the marketing and ad budget to promote the film. I would say you can tack on another 30-50 million easy for a worldwide marketing campaign.

Domestically, the film will be considered a flop if it doesn't at least pull in 10-15 percent over the production budget by the time it leaves the theaters. I see the final domestic box-office being around 160-175million with a worldwide box-office total take of 375-400million. MI3 will do much better overseas than it will here due to the fact that his popularity hasn't been hit hard by his "wild and crazy guy" behavior the past year.

Oh, the film was pretty good. Only a few times did scenes of Tom Cruise South Park enter my head when I was watching the film. Usually it happened when Tom Cruise busted out with his big-ass smile and grin.

zombie04
08-May-2006, 04:44 PM
So it's worth seeing?

Well, it depends how much you like the genre and Tom Cruise. If you liked the first one you'll probably like this one. If you loved the second one you probably won't be as enterained by this one. But if you hate the series and Tom Cruise you should probably stay away.

DjfunkmasterG
08-May-2006, 05:14 PM
Whether the film does better box-office overseas and marketing rights have been sold prior to the film's release, the mentality of movie-goers here in the US pretty much demands that such films make 60-80 million on opening weekend. The estimated production budget for MI3 is around 150 million dollars. The studio hasn't released, and probably won't release, the marketing and ad budget to promote the film. I would say you can tack on another 30-50 million easy for a worldwide marketing campaign.

Domestically, the film will be considered a flop if it doesn't at least pull in 10-15 percent over the production budget by the time it leaves the theaters. I see the final domestic box-office being around 160-175million with a worldwide box-office total take of 375-400million. MI3 will do much better overseas than it will here due to the fact that his popularity hasn't been hit hard by his "wild and crazy guy" behavior the past year.

Oh, the film was pretty good. Only a few times did scenes of Tom Cruise South Park enter my head when I was watching the film. Usually it happened when Tom Cruise busted out with his big-ass smile and grin.

I haven't seen the SP parodies of Tom Cruise. I would love to see what they do to him in regards to Tom Kitten.

MinionZombie
08-May-2006, 05:18 PM
Not sure if they'll follow the 'Tom Kitten' route, not a big enough plot methinks. The scientology episode is rather funny, you should check it out. 10x01 was kind of a continuation of the scientology-bashing, and was damn funny too.

zombie04
08-May-2006, 06:15 PM
10x01 was kind of a continuation of the scientology-bashing, and was damn funny too.

This is what the Super Adventure Club really believes!

Terran
08-May-2006, 06:30 PM
i never liked any of the MI films

they are the truest example of hollywood garbage

make a movie about an old tv show
pay some actors way too much
live off the hype and make any many sequels as you can

we want fresh ideas with good actors

and yes i think tom cruise has become a joke
i used to like him
but now he represents the rot that has seeped into hollywood

sad that films like this get greenlighted
and get huge budgets when
someone like romero has to go thru hoops to get anything done

what a world...

Yeah ....I totally agree....we need more movies like Chopper...and Requiem for a Dream....everyone is tired of movie "stars"....

Tullaryx
08-May-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah ....I totally agree....we need more movies like Chopper...and Requiem for a Dream....everyone is tired of movie "stars"....

I won't disagree with that. The only problem is that the industry as a whole answers to what the general public likes. Films like Chopper and Requiem for a Dream are the darlings of the indie crowd, but outside of that it doesn't gain much press and fans outside of critics and people who enjoy abit more from their films.

I do think the film industry gets too much flak for making big-budget films. Yes, there are turkeys and flops, but most indie films are no better in terms of quality. One of the best reviewed films last year also made quite abit of scratch for its studio and it wasn't an indie film. I'm talking about Batman Begins. Here's a big-budget film that used the money it was allocated and made the most of it. It helps that it had a director who came from an indie-film background, but it just shows that independent filmmakers are just people still waiting for that invite to sit with the big boys with their big budgets.

DjfunkmasterG
08-May-2006, 08:28 PM
We need more American Beauty, and Shawshank Redemption type filmmaking.

Tullaryx
08-May-2006, 08:37 PM
What the industry needs is to force the big-cineplex chains to set aside a certain number of screens per multiplex to showing alternative, independent films. Really it's the chains like Loews, Century, AMC, etc... that clearly has some control on whether smaller films become successful or not. Outside of arthouse film houses, not many major chains will show independent titles unless it had been bankrolled from behind-the-scenes by one of the major studios.

One film last year that had quite a strong buzz leading up to its release was Cronenberg's A History of Violence. Some big multiplex houses showed it in their screens and when they did each showing was sold out for the couple weeks it was out. But a majority of the big chains still didn't book the film. It's not just the big studios at fault for pushing blockbusters and sequels instead of smaller films. If the big-chain houses only orders to book the big films, or at the least the big studio film, then independent studio houses (the true ones like Lions Gate, New Market, etc...) will continue to be relegated to niche arthouse theaters.

DjfunkmasterG
08-May-2006, 10:56 PM
The industry catera to the teen crowd because they put more asses in seats then anyother demographic. So films like Capote, and History of Violence.... don't stand a chance against crapfests like Van Helsing and MI: 3!

Now when the studio's release a great blockbuster like Batman Begins...it makes me wonder if all the BS is true about Hollywood. However, then they release stuff like The Benchwarmers and all my faith goes out the window.

Tri0xin
08-May-2006, 11:18 PM
pfft, I'm totally sure Cruise is a zombie, he'll never go down, his ego has grown too big now and it defends his 'sweet spot' like a bullet proof vest, no pink mist for you Dj.

Zombie Tom! hehehe, maybe that's why Katie Holmes married him. She's into dead dorks!