PDA

View Full Version : Thor movie

MontagMOI
21-Oct-2008, 11:33 PM
I thought they wanted Ray (Rome) Stevenson for the role...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38813

Danny
21-Oct-2008, 11:39 PM
daniel craig?!?, he looks like a baby in a vaccuum!!, geez, even the jokes about it starring fabio would be more appropriate.

AcesandEights
21-Oct-2008, 11:46 PM
Yup, rumored that Brannagh may direct.

ProfessorChaos
22-Oct-2008, 03:19 AM
here's a question: are there any super-heroes who don't have an upcoming film?

i really can't wait for the whole comic-book movie thing to die off.:bored:

Bub666
22-Oct-2008, 03:33 AM

I agree,it's starting to get really boring.:bored:

Mike70
22-Oct-2008, 12:35 PM

i am waiting for captain carrot and his amazing zoo crew to get a movie or better yet, bowzar the barkbarian. either being made into a film would be a certain sign of the apocalypse.

bassman
22-Oct-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree,it's starting to get really boring.:bored:

Wha?? They're just now starting to get good and reaching quality that rivals "Superman: The Movie"...

Thor for Craig? No doubt he could pull it off, but I would rather he continue kicking out the new badass bond films.:)

Geophyrd
22-Oct-2008, 12:52 PM
"I'm so Thor I can barely pith."

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2008, 10:33 PM

I heard that, brother. I was just complaining to my girlfriend about it last night, actually.

ProfessorChaos
22-Oct-2008, 10:38 PM
i've been griping about this crap for over a year now. after spider-man 3, i was like, "whoa....what the fu(k happened to the medium of film?". TDK was pretty cool, but i'd still rather not see another comic book film, even if it was the third nolan/bale batman flick, the only comic-book movie i'll probably see, until about 2011.

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2008, 10:41 PM

The plan Marvel has from what I hear is to do a solo movie for each of the original Avengers, leading up to an Avengers movie. Iron Man & The Hulk are already out of the way, Thor is in the works, so that leaves Captain America & Ant Man.

As long as they're good, I don't care, keep 'em coming.

i am waiting for captain carrot and his amazing zoo crew to get a movie or better yet, bowzar the barkbarian. either being made into a film would be a certain sign of the apocalypse.

AHAHAHA!!!! I bow down to your comic-book geek-dom sir.:D

http://www.mykey3000.com/cosmicteams/cosmic/img/carrot01.jpg

clanglee
22-Oct-2008, 10:51 PM

Screw that!!! I am loving this!! Bring it on!! More comic movies please!!! As long as they continue to be as good as these have been.

Danny
22-Oct-2008, 11:02 PM
im just waiting for marvel zombies now.

darth los
23-Oct-2008, 08:03 PM
The last time I saw thor in a movie was in an Incredible Hulk film. It was waaaaaaay back in the 80's so the details are kind of blurry but David Banner (still played by Bill Bixby) was on the verge of a cure for his curse. All I remember is the fight scene between thor and the hulk. Thor whacked him on the chest with his hammer but all that did was knock him back and piss him off even more. Gotta love those original Avengers. ;)

:cool:

Bub666
23-Oct-2008, 11:02 PM
The last time I saw thor in a movie was in an Incredible Hulk film. It was waaaaaaay back in the 80's so the details are kind of blurry but David Banner (still played by Bill Bixby) was on the verge of a cure for his curse. All I remember is the fight scene between thor and the hulk. Thor whacked him on the chest with his hammer but all that did was knock him back and piss him off even more. Gotta love those original Avengers.

I remember that movie,that was a great fight scene.

DeadJonas190
24-Oct-2008, 03:42 AM
The plan Marvel has from what I hear is to do a solo movie for each of the original Avengers, leading up to an Avengers movie. Iron Man & The Hulk are already out of the way, Thor is in the works, so that leaves Captain America & Ant Man.

As long as they're good, I don't care, keep 'em coming.

[/IMG]

Marvel announced the Monday after Iron Man was released that they are making Iron Man 2 and Thor both to be released in 2010 and then Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers to be released in 2011 and Ant Man sometime there after.

I agree, as long as they are good keep them coming!

The last time I saw thor in a movie was in an Incredible Hulk film. It was waaaaaaay back in the 80's so the details are kind of blurry but David Banner (still played by Bill Bixby) was on the verge of a cure for his curse. All I remember is the fight scene between thor and the hulk. Thor whacked him on the chest with his hammer but all that did was knock him back and piss him off even more. Gotta love those original Avengers. ;)

Not to sound like a smart a$$, but the link from the OP actually has that fight scene video posted at the bottom of the article.

darth los
24-Oct-2008, 05:48 PM
Marvel announced the Monday after Iron Man was released that they are making Iron Man 2 and Thor both to be released in 2010 and then Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers to be released in 2011 and Ant Man sometime there after.

I agree, as long as they are good keep them coming!

Not to sound like a smart a$$, but the link from the OP actually has that fight scene video posted at the bottom of the article.

Perhaps it is. You guys are gonna have to forgive me. I do the bulk of my posting at work so i'm constantly missing things like that and mispelling things because i'm in a rush. :o

But atleast I remembered that . How many others can say the same? I've asked scores of people about it before and they all look at me as if i had a third eye on my forhead. :lol:

DeadJonas190
25-Oct-2008, 06:11 AM
Perhaps it is. You guys are gonna have to forgive me. I do the bulk of my posting at work so i'm constantly missing things like that and mispelling things because i'm in a rush. :o

But atleast I remembered that . How many others can say the same? I've asked scores of people about it before and they all look at me as if i had a third eye on my forhead. :lol:

I saw it when I was younger, but didn't remember it until I saw the video posted under the article.

darth los
26-Oct-2008, 01:43 AM
It's just as well that they don't show it anymore. Compared to the new flicks Lou Ferigno in body paint is laughable at best.

sandrock74
27-Oct-2008, 01:21 PM
My choice to play Thor is Triple H. I mean, he looks like Thor AND he even comes with his own (sledge) hammer!

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2008, 01:57 PM
So, I wonder if they'll go the 'secret identity' route, complete with the classic Donald Blake, or take a more of a later day, hands off 'alternate identity-you're-not supposed-care-too-much-about' approach (i.e. Sigurd Jarlson), or do late era Thor where he's just the plain old son of Odin come to earth with no real secrets, save whether he's more likely to drink grog with you, or shove a lightning bolt up your bunghole for being an 'impudent mortal*'.

* Yes, I'm well aware that Asgardian gods in the Marvel U are not actually, completely and fully immortal in the sense of, say, the Olympian gods.

Philly_SWAT
27-Oct-2008, 03:16 PM
Question for THor fans.....I remember THor in the comics back when I read them. I never subscribed to the THor title, I mainly saw him in other comics starring other characters. The question is....what was the Marvel explanation for how a mythical norse gods from 1,000 years ago was alive and well in the present day?

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2008, 03:42 PM
The question is....what was the Marvel explanation for how a mythical norse gods from 1,000 years ago was alive and well in the present day?

Asgardians, in the Marvel Universe, are beings who are as close to immortal as one can get without being actually completely immortal. They have extremely high resistances to physical damage and disease and age at a rate that is so slow that it makes them seem immortal from a normal human's perspective.

By contrast, Olympians (Zeus, Mars etc.) are immortal with the exception of their vulnerability to unnatural death by means of violence etc. so they do not age.

The above is based on information of the old MU and may not be current with any retcons that have taken place recently. It also ignores that many of the Asgardian gods avoided permanent death after Ragnarok (though the Ragnarok cycle was, apparently broken by Thor, so who knows if that played into it at all). We do know that Odin did, indeed, die and is currently residing in Valhalla.

SRP76
27-Oct-2008, 08:35 PM

Come the f*ck on. Which dinkus is going to pay money to watch Ant Man?!

They're already cycling through "heroes" that most people don't much care about. Personally, I can't stand Marvel at all, but I realize Hulk, X-Men, and Spidey have huge followings. But f*cking Ant Man? Enough's enough.

clanglee
27-Oct-2008, 10:47 PM

They're already cycling through "heroes" that most people don't much care about. Personally, I can't stand Marvel at all, but I realize Hulk, X-Men, and Spidey have huge followings. But f*cking Ant Man? Enough's enough.

I actually agree with you here. I like the character of Hank Pym and all, but a whole movie devoted to him is a silly prospect. Having him in the Avenger's movie would be just plenty thank you.

MoonSylver
28-Oct-2008, 01:08 AM
I actually agree with you here. I like the character of Hank Pym and all, but a whole movie devoted to him is a silly prospect. Having him in the Avenger's movie would be just plenty thank you.

I'll kinda 3rd. I like the character. Don't know if he's strong enough to carry a movie all his own. Honestly I think you could intro him in the Avengers movie & all would be good.

DeadJonas190
28-Oct-2008, 05:33 AM

It depends on if they use the Hank Pym Ant Man or somebody in an Ant Man suit. If they use the story from the most recent run of Ant Man written by Robert Kirkman it could be pretty good. Then again, the Avengers movie may be what Marvel is waiting for before announcing the movie as a definite thing to see if it generates enough interest in the movie to justify making it.

AcesandEights
28-Oct-2008, 01:38 PM
It depends on if they use the Hank Pym Ant Man or somebody in an Ant Man suit. If they use the story from the most recent run of Ant Man written by Robert Kirkman it could be pretty good. Then again, the Avengers movie may be what Marvel is waiting for before announcing the movie as a definite thing to see if it generates enough interest in the movie to justify making it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is why Ant Man is tentatively slated for a post-Avengers release. With the correct writer behind the script, vision behind the camera etc. it could be a nice break from some of the other Super Hero film templates. I'm not saying turning an Ant Man movie into something people want to see is a stiff bill to cover, or that it's likely it would be done correctly, but I think it could be and I understand why such a film would be slated the way it is.

Coupling the old Hank Pym with the new stories and take on the identity could help, quite a bit.

Again, this is not to say that I think the movie will come about, or that it will be done well, just that it certainly could be with the correct vision and execution.

sandrock74
28-Oct-2008, 10:44 PM
The Ant-Man movie is supposed to feature Henry Pym in the past as Ant-Man and Scott Lang in the present as Ant-Man. It's also supposed to be lighter in tone than other superhero films (possibly more of a family oriented movie?).

I think Marvel is just trying to show Ant-Man some love since he's the only one of their original batch of characters who didn't become a household name. I don't think Ant-Man is intended to be a franchise anyway (unless you count his being in the Avengers maybe).

clanglee
26-Nov-2009, 11:13 PM
So Capn Kirk's daddy is gonna be Thor huh? Hmmmm. . . I just dunno. But Anthony Hopkins as Odin. . . . oh yes!

http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.10435.Thor_Movie_Update%7Ecolon%7E_Ka t_Dennings_On_Board

acealive1
26-Nov-2009, 11:15 PM

greed is keeping it around, well that and the fact its outgrossing other genres :)

would you rather just prefer remakes for the next 40 years?

MoonSylver
26-Nov-2009, 11:45 PM
So Capn Kirk's daddy is gonna be Thor huh? Hmmmm. . . I just dunno. But Anthony Hopkins as Odin. . . . oh yes!

Huh. I'm so old I had to google 1/2 the actors on that list...:confused:

clanglee
27-Nov-2009, 12:42 AM
Huh. I'm so old I had to google 1/2 the actors on that list...:confused:

:D
Me too.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I just looked up some of the gods, not super familiar familiar with the mythos aside from general terms, and I found this casting pretty amusing.

Heimdall, known as the White god, played by this gentleman: http://www.hbo.com/thewire/img/castcrew/actor_season04/idriselba.jpg Idris Elba. A fine actor, I loved him in RocknRolla. . . .Ironic casting however. I wonder if they will address that in the movie, or if it's an inside joke. Pretty great I think, either way.

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 03:16 PM
As Hellsing mentioned in the shoutbox....

Thor Trailer (http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/thor/comic-con-trailer)

I must say....I'm impressed. From the start I thought this franchise would be difficult to translate to the screen, but it looks like they've accomplished that while also sticking close to the source. Noice.

AcesandEights
29-Jul-2010, 03:22 PM
Hmmm, already got 'video cannot be found'. Regardless, I'm just stoked to see you didn't hate it, Bassman. I think we were both kind of hesitant as to to whether it would be pulled off.

I'll look for it when I get home from work this evening.

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 03:31 PM
Aye, I figured that would happen. Marvel is frantically trying to take it off, but it's too late now. The thing spread like wildfire. Their best bet would be to release it officially.

A quick google search should bring it up for you if THIS ONE (http://io9.com/5599251/check-out-the-full-thor-trailer-and-get-hammered) fails.

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 03:40 PM

Well, when you see a plastic man movie you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41909000/jpg/_41909670_plasticman_220_ap.jpg

bassman
29-Jul-2010, 03:43 PM
I hear there is a Stretch Armstrong movie in the works. Doesn't that count? :p

darth los
29-Jul-2010, 04:00 PM
I hear there is a Stretch Armstrong movie in the works. Doesn't that count? :p

Depends what he's stretching.

Ba-boom-ching! :D

Hopefully it's vaginas.:thumbsup:

rongravy
29-Jul-2010, 08:04 PM
Well, when you see a plastic man movie you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Jim Carrey would be perfect for that jerb...

Maybe I'll get my Captain Carrot movie.

I must say....I'm impressed. From the start I thought this franchise would be difficult to translate to the screen, but it looks like they've accomplished that while also sticking close to the source. Noice.

I'm surprisingly impressed, too. I wanted Jonah Hex to hit big, but it didn't... and I even liked it.
This I was expecting to not like, but the trailer looks pretty kickass.

BillyRay
29-Jul-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, when you see a plastic man movie you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Really?

You got physical comedy, a redemption arc (Plas started out as a small-time hood), extensive & creative use of CGI -- it could work, I tells ya!

Weren't the Wachkowskis originally planning to follow up the Matrix movies with a Plastic Man flick?

clanglee
04-Sep-2010, 07:44 AM
I found a working copy of the trailer for anyone that hasn't yet seen it.

http://www.flix66.com/videos_id_212

bassman
11-Dec-2010, 11:25 PM
Official Trailer

JOddp-nlNvQ?fs=1&hl=en_US

I'm no Thor or Marvel fan, although I do know the basic story, but this at least looks cool in the visual department. Branagh may have made a good'en.

Neil
18-Apr-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, I'm surprised! The reviews sound pretty +ve!

“A winning blend of thrill and feeling, respect and irreverence, Thor lifts Marvel's movie stocks considerably. “ The Vine

“An enjoyable film, Thor remains solid throughout; seasoned and unknown actors blend well to introduce a new hero to cinema.” Katina Vangoploulos, Cut Print Review [3.5/5]

“Impressive in scale and design and featuring a star making turn from its leading man, Thor is a dazzling example of the superhero movie done right.” Matt’s Movie Reviews [4/5]

“The hammer-hurling god of thunder kicks off this superhero summer with a bang. “ THR

“While “Thor” is not a perfect film, it is the best from Marvel Studios yet.” Jonah Weiland, CBM

“While no fatal missteps are taken along Thor's path to redemption, pic has a slightly choppy feel, as if it's trying to squeeze an origin tale and at least part of its sequel into a single entity.” Variety

“There's a whole lot of the film that I really like, and I can't wait to take both of my sons to see it.” HitFix

“There are quite a few characters in the mix but my reaction throughout much of Thor was apathetic. It’s not a horrible film but it’s one that doesn’t want to take any chances.” The Film Pie

“There's action and otherworldly elements to appease the core fans and possibly even win over some skeptics, and enough humor and humanity to engage general audiences.” Stax, IGN

Mitchified
18-Apr-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm skeptical of the reviewer that said that Thor is the best movie to come out of Marvel Studios. It's going to take a lot to beat out Iron Man, which might be the second best superhero movie ever made. It's debatable between Iron Man and Spider-Man 2, but again, those are both Marvel franchises, so the argument still stands.

However, with that said I'm completely excited for this movie. They did exactly what they should have: they dismissed the vast majority of the mainstream Thor series and focused instead on Ultimate Thor. While I love me some God of Thunder butt-kicking in the main Marvel universe, Ultimate Thor's character was more human and easier for audiences to connect to.

The best Thor moment in the history of the comics actually didn't have Thor doing anything; it was instead a quote from Nick Fury during the Secret Invasion story arch. To set the stage, Skrulls (an alien race consisting of a very high percentage of shapeshifters) have replaced a number of Earth's heroes with impostors. Spider-Woman (the woman in the red costume in the panel below) has been replaced by the Skrull queen. This panel takes place immediately before the huge battle in New York City between the Skrulls and the remaining heroes.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j373/tmsprague/my-god-has-a-hammer.jpg

Rottedfreak
18-Apr-2011, 03:24 PM
I dare them to refer to Odin as the creator of man and Borr as the Christian God.

Neil
21-Apr-2011, 10:02 PM
Damn them! Damn them to hell! Seriously, we need a small tactical nuke for these muppets!

http://www.theasylum.cc/product.php?id=183

http://www.theasylum.cc/images/posters/almightythor_large.jpg

---------- Post added 19-Apr-2011 at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 18-Apr-2011 at 06:47 PM ----------

AICN loves it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49322

Holy shit. They made a very entertaining, engaging and fun THOR film. When Fandral lets out a laugh in the midst of battle – and is smiling… I just loved it. Hogun and his mace. Volstagg eating… Loki making duplicates… Thor swinging that fucking hammer. I’ve seen these things and they did not suck. They ruled. Oh – and Chris Hemsworth? He’s a star. How big? One that Natalie Portman seemed 1000% smitten with in this film.

---------- Post added 21-Apr-2011 at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was 19-Apr-2011 at 09:42 AM ----------

So come on folks? Reviews? Comments? Surely some of you have seen it?

bassman
21-Apr-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't think it's released yet for a week or two...

Neil
22-Apr-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't think it's released yet for a week or two...

It's out here in the UK on Monday? So I'd of thought the US should be ahead?

MinionZombie
22-Apr-2011, 09:50 AM
Ugh, the goddamned Asylum ... how they've not been shafted on copyright infringement is beyond me.

As for Thor ... I don't know ... I'm still not all that interested in it, to be honest.

Neil
22-Apr-2011, 03:50 PM
Ugh, the goddamned Asylum ... how they've not been shafted on copyright infringement is beyond me.

As for Thor ... I don't know ... I'm still not all that interested in it, to be honest.
The reviews suggest a good film!

bassman
22-Apr-2011, 03:54 PM
It's out here in the UK on Monday? So I'd of thought the US should be ahead?

Looks like you guys are getting it first. I believe it's May 6th in the States. Two weeks from today.

Let us know if it's worth seeing in theater!

Mitchified
22-Apr-2011, 04:07 PM
I took a closer look at that Almighty Thor poster. Isn't that monster thing in the upper left the smart gremlin from Gremlins 2?

Tricky
28-Apr-2011, 01:54 PM
Well I think I'm going to see this tonight depending on how my plans work out, in 3D no less! I'll let you know what I think later...

Neil
28-Apr-2011, 02:45 PM
Think I'm seeing it next week... 2D!

CoinReturn
28-Apr-2011, 06:30 PM
93% @ RottenTomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor/)

Looking like a quality movie, I figured it'd be shit.

bassman
28-Apr-2011, 06:33 PM
It's definitely getting some good reviews. Most of them saying it's nothing special, but a really fun movie.

Whats more surprising is that Fast Five is getting good reviews. Supposedly they've dropped the street racer angle and just turned it into a fun heist action film. :stunned:

Tricky
28-Apr-2011, 11:40 PM
Have to say I enjoyed it! Some good bits of comic book action, some awesome special effects & Natalie Portman looking rather ravishing! One or two minor gripes but nothing to spoil it, I'll wait till more have seen it before discussing in more depth!

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2011, 09:24 AM
93% @ RottenTomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thor/)

Looking like a quality movie, I figured it'd be shit.

I'll no doubt end up seeing it now, but I've not been particularly interested in it, I must say.

It's definitely getting some good reviews. Most of them saying it's nothing special, but a really fun movie.

Whats more surprising is that Fast Five is getting good reviews. Supposedly they've dropped the street racer angle and just turned it into a fun heist action film. :stunned:

Bassman - yeah, there's not all that much of the 'mally boy' street racing angle in Fast Five - it's a balls out actioner.

Here's what I made of it, FYI:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/04/hextuple-bill-mini-and-cine-musings.html

Fast Five:
The original movie was a pretty decent flick. I never bothered with the second or third movies, the fourth movie left me cold when the action wasn't punching, and the fifth ... well, it's actually bloody good fun. Realism is out the window in favour of big cars, big guys, and bigger action. Set in Rio, this fifth instalment brings practically every familiar face from the franchise into one huge spectacular - so characterisation, which was never a big issue in the franchise, is naturally surface-deep pretty much all the way through.

What does keep the movie bashing along at a bloody good whack though, is the action. Justin Lin clearly knows how to deliver plenty of bang for your buck, and in a movie where everything is ridiculously massive (including franchise newbie Dwayne Johnson who resembles a gun-toting mountain driving around in a glacier-sized uber 4x4) things get crazy in a big bad way. Seemingly inspired in-part by the Rio-set levels in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (a ballsy action extravaganza of a videogame), it's insanity from beginning to end with genuinely spiffing action which makes up for any drawbacks. Big, dumb fun defined.

Mitchified
01-May-2011, 06:26 PM
For those that have seen Thor and didn't know exactly what they were looking at during the scene after the credits (it was a lot more obscure than, say, Thor's hammer at the end of Iron Man 2), here's the quick rundown.

The object in the box that Nick Fury opened was the Cosmic Cube. In the comics, it's a device first created by the terrorist organization A.I.M., the same organization responsible for the creation of M.O.D.O.K. It holds the power to grant any wish by its user, but there are always consequences that go along with the power. It's been closely associated with a number of villains throughout its history (or "their histories", I suppose, since there have been multiple Cubes), such as Thanos and Dr. Doom. However, the one villain it's most associated with is the Red Skull, the most famous member of Captain America's rogue gallery. So basically the Cube was a tie-in to the upcoming Captain America movie.

Completely unrelated to it, a while back there was a splinter A.I.M. group who used "DEATH BY SCIENCE!" as their rallying cry. That has nothing to do with the Thor movie, but it cracks me up every time.

MoonSylver
01-May-2011, 10:56 PM
Completely unrelated to it, a while back there was a splinter A.I.M. group who used "DEATH BY SCIENCE!" as their rallying cry. That has nothing to do with the Thor movie, but it cracks me up every time.

http://www.crawdaddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/1.jpg
:rockbrow:
:lol:

Neil
02-May-2011, 07:57 AM
So, do I go and see this film this week? I'm strangely tempted by Fast 5 too :)

MinionZombie
02-May-2011, 09:59 AM
So, do I go and see this film this week? I'm strangely tempted by Fast 5 too :)

If you do see Thor, don't bother seeing it in 3D ... the picture was dulled much more than I've ever noticed before, by the 3D glasses, and the 3D was pretty pointless anyway. The film itself was alright, but I wasn't especially fussed by it.

Fast Five on the other hand, defines "big dumb fun" in both good and bad ways, but any of the bad ways were always going to be the case, or don't matter because the good - the sheer explosive fun of it all - makes up for the faults. My thoughts are as follows...

Fast Five:
The original movie was a pretty decent flick. I never bothered with the second or third movies, the fourth movie left me cold when the action wasn't punching, and the fifth ... well, it's actually bloody good fun. Realism is out the window in favour of big cars, big guys, and bigger action. Set in Rio, this fifth instalment brings practically every familiar face from the franchise into one huge spectacular - so characterisation, which was never a big issue in the franchise, is naturally surface-deep pretty much all the way through.

What does keep the movie bashing along at a bloody good whack though, is the action. Justin Lin clearly knows how to deliver plenty of bang for your buck, and in a movie where everything is ridiculously massive (including franchise newbie Dwayne Johnson who resembles a gun-toting mountain driving around in a glacier-sized uber 4x4) things get crazy in a big bad way. Seemingly inspired in-part by the Rio-set levels in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (a ballsy action extravaganza of a videogame), it's insanity from beginning to end with genuinely spiffing action which makes up for any drawbacks. Big, dumb fun defined.

I was never particularly interested in Thor from the get-go, mind you. It had some good action in it, and some cool moments, but it was no Iron Man - that's for damn sure. One thing to note however, it's perhaps the loudest movie of the year ... and the bassiest.

Neil
06-May-2011, 07:54 AM
I enjoyed it! Had some nice moments, but I think as MZ said, not near the top of the pile of super hero films...

MinionZombie
06-May-2011, 09:59 AM
I enjoyed it! Had some nice moments, but I think as MZ said, not near the top of the pile of super hero films...

Did you bother with 3D, or did you do 2D, as I wish I had done?

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/05/pentuple-bill-mini-and-cine-musings.html

Thor 3D:
First off the bat - the 3D is pointless. Each time I see a movie in 3D now, I become even less bothered about the whole thing, and I wasn't particularly fussed beforehand. The last time 3D was any real fun was Jackass 3D, and that revolved around poking stuff into the lens. Even Drive Angry 3D wasn't all that in 3D. Indeed, despite knowing of it, and somewhat noticing it on other 3D flicks, the 'dimming factor' of 3D glasses was very evident with Thor. Particularly during night scenes and anytime we're in Thor's home realm, the image was ridiculously dulled.

The movie itself is basically thus - it's no Iron Man, that's for sure, but it's much better paced than Iron Man 2, however I'm much more looking forward to Captain America. There's a decent amount of humour splashed throughout, Natalie Portman is likeable as ever, Hemsworth does a solid job playing the hammer-flinger himself, and it's a generally impressive movie visually. However, I wasn't especially looking forward to this movie - hardly in fact - and while I did enjoy it, it wasn't particularly memorable for me. Good, but not great. One final thing though - it's possibly the loudest (and bassiest) movie of the year.

Neil
06-May-2011, 11:55 AM
2D..

Was there anything extra at the very end? After the credits?

And am I right in saying at the end of Iron Man 2 there was a Thor related clip?

bassman
06-May-2011, 01:05 PM
Was there anything extra at the very end? After the credits?

And am I right in saying at the end of Iron Man 2 there was a Thor related clip?

Yeah, after the credits of Iron Man 2 there was a scene showing the discovery of Thor's hammer. Most of the reviews I've seen for Thor say there's something similar that leads into this summer's Captain America. I imagine Captain America will then have something that leads into next year's The Avengers. Marvel's really setting up shop, aren't they?

Mitchified
06-May-2011, 02:33 PM
Marvel's really setting up shop, aren't they?

Which is a good thing. I love that all the stories are being tied together so that there isn't just a random "Oh, okay, they're all randomly in the same place" moment in The Avengers. I'm also a fan of how technically these movies are happening simultaneously on the timeline (to a point). Iron Man takes place before the others, but Iron Man 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk all take place at the same time in different parts of the country.

bassman
06-May-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, but you know their batting average is going to drop sooner or later. By then they'll have all these characters tied together in some form or another and when they start to go downhill, we're going to have reboots of all of them. I give em about ten more years with the various characters and they'll start rebooting them all....

Not to mention....how are you going to have believable sequels for the more realistic individual characters like Iron Man? There won't be any real threat if you know he's got these gods and monsters on speed dial. Why not call them up? Because they're not contractually obligated to appear in your sequel?

Bringing all these characters together in the same universe, while cool, is ultimately going to lead to problems. Which is why i'm glad DC's films are currently operating under different universes....

AcesandEights
06-May-2011, 02:54 PM
I give em about ten more years with the various characters and they'll start rebooting them all....

That's actually a very optimistic timeline given Hollywood's current rebootmania.

bassman
06-May-2011, 03:03 PM
That's actually a very optimistic timeline given Hollywood's current rebootmania.

True.....Spiderman had a what...3-4 year turn around? While I was saying i'm glad DC is sticking to different universes, they also recently announced that they would be rebooting Batman immediately following Nolan's next film. Supposedly with the intention of working up to a Justice League film. Does that mean they'll have to reboot Snyder's Superman and Campbell's Green Lantern, as well? Ugh.....it's getting ridiculous for both companies...

Mitchified
06-May-2011, 03:29 PM
Not to mention....how are you going to have believable sequels for the more realistic individual characters like Iron Man? There won't be any real threat if you know he's got these gods and monsters on speed dial. Why not call them up? Because they're not contractually obligated to appear in your sequel?

Bringing all these characters together in the same universe, while cool, is ultimately going to lead to problems. Which is why i'm glad DC's films are currently operating under different universes....

The comics have operated despite this lapse in logic for over fifty years now. Heck, every comic has. Over in DC, why doesn't Batman simply call in Superman every time some villain escapes from Arkham? After all, Bruce Wayne is the most logic-minded character in the history of comics, and calling in Superman would be the most logical thing to do.

Part of it is the necessary suspension of disbelief that has to go along with superheroes, whether it's in comics, television, or movies. At the same time, the characters that operate individually all have various reasons due to their personalities for not calling in help even when they should. Sticking to the Avengers, each has a character flaw that would lead to this. Tony Stark has his ego; he'll call in the rest of the team if there's absolutely no other way, but he truly believes that given enough time he can solve anything himself. Thor has his pride, a sense of invincibility that's been drilled into him since he was born. The Hulk has both his immense anger and his obsessive need to be left alone; he WILL work with a team from time to time, but he certainly doesn't WANT to. Steve Rogers (Captain America) is the most likely to call in the team due to his military background, but over the years he's shown an intense dislike of putting others in danger and he'll go it alone if he feels he can succeed. Hawkeye is a loner and overestimates his own abilities.

So I can definitely see solo movies still being completely viable despite there being separate Avengers movies.

AcesandEights
06-May-2011, 03:33 PM
So I can definitely see solo movies still being completely viable despite there being separate Avengers movies.

This I can agree with.

I also happen to love the current way Marvel has threaded their films together in an effort to build up to a viable Avengers flick.

That said, given a long enough time line, reboots for some are inevitable.

bassman
06-May-2011, 03:42 PM
That's where I disagree.....it works just fine in the comics but in the medium of film where you have a MUCH larger audience, most of which know nothing about the comics, you've got different rules to play by. Sure, the comic fans will know about different universes and will have the suspension from the start, but to keep these films in the general audience's eye they need to keep it more simple. So once you have all these guys together in what I imagine will be an epic Avengers film, it's going to be difficult to turn around and split them up again. Most of the audience is going to be expecting one thing, while the film takes a step back and delivers something on a smaller scale that they saw in the first Captain America/Iron Man/Etc.

Just as on off beat example.....I can't tell you how many times people tried to convince me that Batman Begins was a prequel to Burton's Batman(89). I would try to explain to them that it's an all new series....a totally different batman...a different universe. But they just couldn't wrap their head around it. "But they show the joker card at the end!", they would argue.:rolleyes: It wasn't until The Dark Knight's release that the non-comic fans started to understand what I was trying to explain to them.

So if something THAT simple was hard to understand, I can definitely see The Avengers causing some trouble for the individual characters. Even if there were no Avengers film coming, you know they're still going to reboot these things within a decade's time, anyway. Audiences will get bored, profits will drop, "time to start over". It's just the way Hollywood does it these days...

AcesandEights
06-May-2011, 04:06 PM
So if something THAT simple was hard to understand, I can definitely see The Avengers causing some trouble for the individual characters.
The lowest common denominator may slow us down, Bassy old bean, but it'll only ever stop us if we give up.

http://www.jefftritelsculpture.com/images/400/perseverance.jpg

Even if there were no Avengers film coming, you know they're still going to reboot these things within a decade's time, anyway. Audiences will get bored, profits will drop, "time to start over". It's just the way Hollywood does it these days...

Agree 100 %

Mitchified
06-May-2011, 04:20 PM
That's where I disagree.....it works just fine in the comics but in the medium of film where you have a MUCH larger audience, most of which know nothing about the comics, you've got different rules to play by. Sure, the comic fans will know about different universes and will have the suspension from the start, but to keep these films in the general audience's eye they need to keep it more simple. So once you have all these guys together in what I imagine will be an epic Avengers film, it's going to be difficult to turn around and split them up again. Most of the audience is going to be expecting one thing, while the film takes a step back and delivers something on a smaller scale that they saw in the first Captain America/Iron Man/Etc.

Just as on off beat example.....I can't tell you how many times people tried to convince me that Batman Begins was a prequel to Burton's Batman(89). I would try to explain to them that it's an all new series....a totally different batman...a different universe. But they just couldn't wrap their head around it. "But they show the joker card at the end!", they would argue.:rolleyes: It wasn't until The Dark Knight's release that the non-comic fans started to understand what I was trying to explain to them.

So if something THAT simple was hard to understand, I can definitely see The Avengers causing some trouble for the individual characters. Even if there were no Avengers film coming, you know they're still going to reboot these things within a decade's time, anyway. Audiences will get bored, profits will drop, "time to start over". It's just the way Hollywood does it these days...

And there may well be confusion if reboots do happen down the line. That's a different subject from the point that you originally brought up, though, which is that individual movies wouldn't be believable after an ensemble movie. As it stands now, Marvel has done things the smart way and established individual franchises before going for The Avengers. I don't see why you can't go back to those franchises and occasionally bring them back together for an "event" movie.

And to be honest, I don't know if there WILL be reboots of the franchises down the line. If Marvel really is dedicated to making this fluid universe in movies, why wouldn't they just make more sequels that continue the story? It seems to be the most logical way to continue about things. Spider-Man had to be rebooted if they wanted it in this shared universe, as did the Hulk, and if they decide that they want the Fantastic Four in it they'll have to reboot that as well (not exactly a horrible loss considering how bad the two movies were). Once it's established as being in the same world, however, actors, writers, and directors can change but the universe can stay the same. If that's how it's being handled, that's actually an incredibly smart long term strategy.

This isn't like DC, where the Batman franchise had been so totally destroyed that it required starting from scratch.

bassman
06-May-2011, 04:35 PM
And there may well be confusion if reboots do happen down the line. That's a different subject from the point that you originally brought up, though, which is that individual movies wouldn't be believable after an ensemble movie. As it stands now, Marvel has done things the smart way and established individual franchises before going for The Avengers. I don't see why you can't go back to those franchises and occasionally bring them back together for an "event" movie.

Yeah, my mind wonders sometimes. Sorry about that. :lol:

Forgetting about reboots, what I was trying to say is that once these guys get together for the "event" of the avengers, to a general audience it's going to be a step back when they return to their individual franchises. We, as nerds, have no problem with it. But when you look at it through the eyes of a general audience member it will definitely seem like a step down. When you consider that The Avengers is essentially a sequel to each of the franchises, the next entry has to go bigger. That's the "rule" with sequels. Bigger, bigger, BIGGER. Hollywood has to make each sequel bigger. How can you go from this collection of the world's mightiest warriors....back to just Iron Man? When that happens, the numbers will drop.

The nerds will understand. We'll be there opening day for Iron Man 3. It's when the general audience's numbers drop that it starts to get into trouble. Without the numbers there to support these sequels, they stop making them. In turn - the franchises start over. The Avengers will ultimately hurt Marvel's bottom line and in the end hurt the fans' dreams of multiple sequels to come. I hope I'm wrong, though...

Neil
06-May-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, after the credits of Iron Man 2 there was a scene showing the discovery of Thor's hammer. Most of the reviews I've seen for Thor say there's something similar that leads into this summer's Captain America. I imagine Captain America will then have something that leads into next year's The Avengers. Marvel's really setting up shop, aren't they?

There was something that leads to Captain America? Can't see how as Thor was modern day, and Captain America is set in the past?

bassman
06-May-2011, 04:42 PM
There was something that leads to Captain America? Can't see how as Thor was modern day, and Captain America is set in the past?

Thats' what i've heard. I haven't seen Thor yet, but they say it's the cosmic cube and it could lead back to Red Skull in Captain America. Or something like that. You could probably find the end clip on youtube...

You will have to ask Mitch, I think he knows about it.

Mitchified
06-May-2011, 04:53 PM
Thats' what i've heard. I haven't seen Thor yet, but they say it's the cosmic cube and it could lead back to Red Skull in Captain America. Or something like that. You could probably find the end clip on youtube...

You will have to ask Mitch, I think he knows about it.

Obviously I have no clue how they'll handle it in the movie, but in the comics Captain America was found frozen in Antarctica by the Avengers. He had been preserved there after his final mission went awry at the end of World War II, presumably killing his sidekick Bucky (although nobody stays dead in comics except for the Waynes and Uncle Ben) and leading to him being unknowingly frozen (the world thought that he was dead). It's been announced that Captain America will be a part of the Avengers, so some sort of trickery like this is probably going to be used in the movies as well. If you go back a page or two on this thread I put up a spoiler with the Cosmic Cube explanation.

What some people are forgetting is that Captain America already has two other tie-ins in the movies already. His shield appeared in both Iron Man movies, and Emil Blonsky (the Abomination) is given the Super Soldier serum in Incredible Hulk. There's been a lot of foreshadowing going on.

AcesandEights
06-May-2011, 05:10 PM

Perhaps they worked the Namor angle with Thor or someone else from the film subbing in...

http://www.dynamicforces.com/images/C115232.jpg
http://www.comics101.com/comics101//news/Comics%20101/40/namor.jpg
http://www.comics101.com/archives/comics101/images/2004/may19/cap.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tpoqq71LG7Y/TaRipIPWG9I/AAAAAAAABDo/qAzhJ_0OYj4/s640/Av4+-+Cover.jpg

Just a guess.

Maybe MZ knows, though.

MinionZombie
06-May-2011, 05:42 PM
Perhaps they worked the Namor angle with Thor or someone else from the film subbing in...

http://www.dynamicforces.com/images/C115232.jpg
http://www.comics101.com/comics101//news/Comics%20101/40/namor.jpg
http://www.comics101.com/archives/comics101/images/2004/may19/cap.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tpoqq71LG7Y/TaRipIPWG9I/AAAAAAAABDo/qAzhJ_0OYj4/s640/Av4+-+Cover.jpg

Just a guess.

Maybe MZ knows, though.

No idea, I don't read any of these comics and never have.

But yeah, there was a scene at the end of Thor (much better, and longer, than the one at the end of Iron Man 2 - which was a piss take, we were all like "we waited all through the credits for this?!") ... perhap in terms of setting up Captain America, this cube gets hidden in the actual movie, and is then discovered just after/during the events of Thor ... and then Captain America has to somehow end up fighting with The Avengers (no idea how that occurs, as I've not read the comics, but there'll be a way I'm assuming).

Tricky
06-May-2011, 06:12 PM
One thing to note however, it's perhaps the loudest movie of the year ... and the bassiest.

Too right! That guardian thing that Thor has a ruck with is a reet noisy bastard when it shoots fire out of its chops!

MinionZombie
07-May-2011, 10:37 AM
Too right! That guardian thing that Thor has a ruck with is a reet noisy bastard when it shoots fire out of its chops!

I know! It sounded like it was about to blow apart the ruddy speakers!

Danny
07-May-2011, 10:42 AM
watched it and really enjoyed it, surprised by the lack of fighting in it.

-oh and the after credits reveal was the cosmic cube, an item of unlimited power that the red skull is after to fuel the nazi regime in captain america.

Neil
08-May-2011, 10:54 AM
watched it and really enjoyed it, surprised by the lack of fighting in it.

-oh and the after credits reveal was the cosmic cube, an item of unlimited power that the red skull is after to fuel the nazi regime in captain america.
But isn't Captain America set 70yrs or so ago?

Danny
08-May-2011, 10:59 AM
But isn't Captain America set 70yrs or so ago?

spoiler neil maybe cap gets the cube away from the red skull/nazis and out of the wrong hands an saves the day ;)

bassman
08-May-2011, 01:11 PM
Cap also has to make it into the present day storylines by the end of his first film or the beginning of the Avengers. The WWII era thing isn't really an issue.