PDA

View Full Version : Insight into Hinzman moving fast in Night

Philly_SWAT
23-Oct-2008, 06:02 AM
At Screamfest this past weekend, Bill Hinzman said something that I never knew. He said that the scene of him at the cemetary was filmed at the end of the filming process. He said that it had already been established in everything they had already shot that the zombies were slow moving and weak. He asked GAR how he could have the strength the smash the window with a brick and how he could chase after the car fast. He said that GAR said something to the effect of "**** it, it will be cool!" So there you go, an answer to why the cemetary zombie was moving faster than other Romero zombies.

SymphonicX
23-Oct-2008, 08:39 AM
At Screamfest this past weekend, Bill Hinzman said something that I never knew. He said that the scene of him at the cemetary was filmed at the end of the filming process. He said that it had already been established in everything they had already shot that the zombies were slow moving and weak. He asked GAR how he could have the strength the smash the window with a brick and how he could chase after the car fast. He said that GAR said something to the effect of "**** it, it will be cool!" So there you go, an answer to why the cemetary zombie was moving faster than other Romero zombies.

That's what I've always put it down to - it was Romero's first movie, it's bound to have some inconsistencies...it's just the way it was, nothing more, nothing less. No use in theorising things until the end of the earth sometimes....

Now what strikes me is how the zombies got more powerful in Day compared to Dawn....case in point: fireman zombie that gets stuck in the pen in Day, goes bloody mental and starts smashing himself about inside it before Steele hooks him....can you see a Dawn zombie doing that? Nope...much slower....

Thorn
23-Oct-2008, 03:30 PM
You know I can see that, a decision being made on the spot just for the sake of it being "cooler" or more effective. We do not tend to think in term of legacy until well after the fact for the most part, and I do not think George anticipated the film going on to enjoy such success and longevity where it would really matter.

I mean we sit here and dissect the films frame by frame at times.

Cool information, thank you very much.

darth los
23-Oct-2008, 06:58 PM
That's what I've always put it down to - it was Romero's first movie, it's bound to have some inconsistencies...it's just the way it was, nothing more, nothing less. No use in theorising things until the end of the earth sometimes....

Now what strikes me is how the zombies got more powerful in Day compared to Dawn....case in point: fireman zombie that gets stuck in the pen in Day, goes bloody mental and starts smashing himself about inside it before Steele hooks him....can you see a Dawn zombie doing that? Nope...much slower....

I've noted before that the type and personality of the ghouls vary from film to film. In nOTLD they just seem like people in a trance, sick or crazed if anything. It was a good angle,imo. Fast forward to day and they remind me of demons from hell ready to rip your nutsack off!! :eek:

The ghouls from NOTLD seem listless, really dead. Like it's an effort for them to even move around. I noticed that a couple of them couldn't even support the weight of their heads properly like a newborn baby or something. Can anyone picture the ghouls from night ripping you limb from limb like they did in Day? Now, in dawn they were also shown ripping their victims apart so they were more similar to the ghouls from day than night in that respect.

Also, it seems to me that a ghouls strength depends on the situation. As we all have seen they are slow moving, weak and uncoordinated....until there's a meal in the vicinity, then the get agitaed a relatively strong.

:cool:

bassman
23-Oct-2008, 07:25 PM
I thought it was already known that Romero made the cemetery zombie move faster so it would make the opening of the film more frightening? I know i've heard that before.

I could very well be mistaken, but I think it's even mentioned on the Millenium Edition Commentary....

darth los
23-Oct-2008, 07:39 PM
I thought it was already known that Romero made the cemetery zombie move faster so it would make the opening of the film more frightening? I know i've heard that before.

I could very well be mistaken, but I think it's even mentioned on the Millenium Edition Commentary....

It's obvious that we care much more about it than GAR does. Maybe we should just puff on some that Maui Wowi that he's been high on for the last 40 years and just enjoy the damn movie.

sandrock74
23-Oct-2008, 11:59 PM
And all this time I thought the cemetary zombie was a superhero in his "life". That would have explained his speed and strength!

By the way, why didn't he make a snack of Johnny (a sure meal) as opposed to chasing after Barbara (much less of a sure thing)? I always thought that was odd.

ProfessorChaos
24-Oct-2008, 12:08 AM
By the way, why didn't he make a snack of Johnny (a sure meal) as opposed to chasing after Barbara (much less of a sure thing)? I always thought that was odd.

if i was a reanimated corpse with any inclination towards my human side, i'd much rather munch on a cute girl rather than some dude.:D

Philly_SWAT
24-Oct-2008, 09:10 PM
if i was a reanimated corpse with any inclination towards my human side, i'd much rather munch on a cute girl rather than some dude.:D

LOL, excellent point! :lol:

DubiousComforts
24-Oct-2008, 10:31 PM
Much of what is "remembered" about the cemetery ghoul on the LD/DVD commentary is incorrect. I spoke with Bill Hinzman about how they managed continuity throughout the film being the cemetery scenes were filmed after the fact. He said after the ghoul scenes at the farmhouse were shot, Romero specifically asked him to play the cemetery ghoul because he looked the most imposing. He is taller than Russ Streiner, would tower over Judy O'Dea and his thin features gave him a gaunt quality. This didn't simply happen by accident as it's stated in the commentary.

After filming the cemetery scenes, they went back to the farmhouse to shoot additional inserts with Hinzman and O'Dea. You can tell which footage was shot afterward because Hinzman's hair has grown in and the trees are bare (late fall).

bassman
25-Oct-2008, 04:25 AM
Much of what is "remembered" about the cemetery ghoul on the LD/DVD commentary is incorrect.

So, the people who created the film are incorrect?:rockbrow:

Don't get me wrong....Memories change and theirs could be blurry, but what other facts would we as fans have? Yeah, you talked to one member of the crew, but who's to say that he's correct and the only one thats correct?

I've seen it cut out in several different ways, but it always comes back to the fact that they wanted the opening scene to really grab the audience and pull them in. As fans of the series, we will pick the bones dry of this subject, but eventually it all comes back to what would scare and grab the audience's attention. It's not a matter of whether or not it matches the fans' view of the epidemic or any of the other 10 million things that we discuss on a daily basis. It's all about those people trying to make the best horror film they could.

Romero didn't have any set rules that would carry over into the potential 'sequels'. The first zombie in Night served a very simple purpose: to scare. It didn't matter how the other zombies would later act.

AnxietyDilemma
25-Oct-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah I basically heard that George basically told Hinzman to do whatever he had to in order to keep up with Barbara which entailed jogging.

It never bothered me too much seeing as it was just a spirited jog where he looked intent on catching his prey as opposed to an athletic sprint.

DubiousComforts
25-Oct-2008, 11:54 AM
So, the people who created the film are incorrect?:rockbrow:

Don't get me wrong....Memories change and theirs could be blurry, but what other facts would we as fans have? Yeah, you talked to one member of the crew, but who's to say that he's correct and the only one thats correct?
Hinzman's account is correct in this case because it's supported by the continuity seen in the film and in photos. You know, I was trying to be nice and not single out any person(s) that has a habit of twisting facts to center the story around his or herself. ;)

EvilNed
25-Oct-2008, 11:18 PM

Yeah. The Day zombies are scary. However, let me remind you that this is NOT an inconsistancy. The zombies in Day are simply more aggressive, and since its a completely different film, there's no continuity to be followed anyway.

darth los
26-Oct-2008, 01:48 AM
And all this time I thought the cemetary zombie was a superhero in his "life". That would have explained his speed and strength!

If one thing is consistent throughout the series it's thst. There is atleast 1 example in each flick where a ghoul will pass up a sure meal and go for a moving target. Could be the feeding on warm flesh thing.

DawnGirl27
28-Oct-2008, 03:51 PM
Could be the feeding on warm flesh thing.:cool:

Thank the Lord I'm cold-blooded.....! :D I'll be part of an advance scout team - they'll never even know I'm there.

darth los
28-Oct-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank the Lord I'm cold-blooded.....! :D.

And that differentiates you from other women how? :p j/k

DawnGirl27
28-Oct-2008, 05:07 PM
:lol: Good one; I can appreciate that. Let it be said, however, that I am unlike the stereotypical women who ride the emotional rollercoaster through life and make men wince. I am the laid back type, that gets along better with the guys (or females like me who are pretty mellow).
So give it - I can take it (and give it back)... ;)

NOTLDC5
28-Oct-2008, 10:09 PM

Fans can be pretty resourceful - You'd be surprised what some can have.
It just depends how much time one devotes to research.;)

darth los
28-Oct-2008, 10:45 PM
Fans can be pretty resourceful - You'd be surprised what some can have.
It just depends how much time one devotes to research.;)

I think that he was referring to their memories. And as a law student i can testify to the fact that eyewitness testimony is notoriously the most unreliable.

If we sat and listened to savini and GAR reminisce about the dawn shoot we'd be lucky if a fraction of it was accurate. Jeez, have you ever seen the ultimate edition commentary with them and chris/ They struggle to remember details that we could come up with in a split second.

I'll take bassman's word over theirs any day.

sandrock74
28-Oct-2008, 10:46 PM
:lol: Good one; I can appreciate that. Let it be said, however, that I am unlike the stereotypical women who ride the emotional rollercoaster through life and make men wince. I am the laid back type, that gets along better with the guys (or females like me who are pretty mellow).
So give it - I can take it (and give it back)... ;)

You know, every girl I know says this. :lol:

darth los
28-Oct-2008, 10:50 PM
You know, every girl I know says this. :lol:

dude that's hilarious and true. It seems as if no woman sees themself that way.

But i believe dawngirl is an honorable woman so i'll take her word for it.

But as for hinzman in night, it could be said that GAR is the father of the runner and shambler genres. :D

sandrock74
28-Oct-2008, 10:55 PM
But as for hinzman in night, it could be said that GAR is the father of the runner and shambler genres. :D

Well, Romero is more the father of the shambler and light jogging genres. LMAO!

DawnGirl27
29-Oct-2008, 03:29 AM
dude that's hilarious and true. It seems as if no woman sees themself that way.

But i believe dawngirl is an honorable woman so i'll take her word for it.

I know a lot of girls say they are; those are the ones who talk big and can't carry it off, and give the rest of us a bad name with you guys... :|

And to darth - thanks. ;)

EvilNed
29-Oct-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, Romero is more the father of the shambler and light jogging genres. LMAO!

Ah, the fun-runner zombies...

Trin
29-Oct-2008, 06:30 PM
He said that GAR said something to the effect of "**** it, it will be cool!"Such a double edged sword.

On the one hand we ended up with the best trio of zombie movies ever largely due to that fun-loving, risk-taking attitude.

On the other hand it's also how we ended up with underwater-walking, angst-ridden, zombies.

@DawnGirl27 - I believe you. I have a wonderful wife who rarely has mood swings and is easy to hang out with. You can't blame these guys for their opinions though. A lot of guys who aren't very good with women only tend to see the bad ones. :p

krakenslayer
31-Oct-2008, 12:01 PM

I always put the listlessness of Dawn's mall zombies, compared to Day zombies or even the apartment block zombies at the start of the Dawn, down to the "memerizing" effect of the bright lights, colours, advertising, etc. of the mall. It sort of fits with what Romero was trying to say with regards to the dehumanising effect of consumerism. Kinda like the sky-flowers in Land of the Dead.

DawnGirl27
31-Oct-2008, 05:31 PM
I always put the listlessness of Dawn's mall zombies, compared to Day zombies or even the apartment block zombies at the start of the Dawn, down to the "memerizing" effect of the bright lights, colours, advertising, etc. of the mall. It sort of fits with what Romero was trying to say with regards to the dehumanising effect of consumerism. Kinda like the sky-flowers in Land of the Dead.

Hmmm. That's an interesting concept. Never thought of that for Dawn, and could lend some credence to their slowness. That does seem to be a big part of what ticks Big Daddy off in Land when the sky flowers go off during the raiding party and the other zeds are zoned out. He gets the connection and is actually disgusted by how easily the others are distracted, and thus killed.
So what eventually makes the zombies not care about the sky flowers anymore near the end of Land? Their "awakening" by Big Daddy's actions?

darth los
31-Oct-2008, 05:59 PM
Hmmm. That's an interesting concept. Never thought of that for Dawn, and could lend some credence to their slowness. That does seem to be a big part of what ticks Big Daddy off in Land when the sky flowers go off during the raiding party and the other zeds are zoned out. He gets the connection and is actually disgusted by how easily the others are distracted, and thus killed.
So what eventually makes the zombies not care about the sky flowers anymore near the end of Land? Their "awakening" by Big Daddy's actions?

That is a good point but as always isn't consistent with every scenario in the film. Look no further than the Hare Krishna zombie. There was food right in his face and he was perhaps the most listless zombie in the series. But i like the theory.

sandrock74
31-Oct-2008, 07:46 PM

No, the script! :D

Yojimbo
01-Nov-2008, 12:48 AM
That is a good point but as always isn't consistent with every scenario in the film. Look no further than the Hare Krishna zombie. There was food right in his face and he was perhaps the most listless zombie in the series. But i like the theory.

Yeah, but that was because he had been a believer in Karma. He didn't know why, he just remembered believing. :)

Neil
17-Apr-2011, 07:14 AM

*bump* Wow! I missed this post all those years go! Very interesting!

I must admit the speed and seeming intelligence of Hinzman's zombie does look a bit out of place!

GRMonLI
17-Apr-2011, 03:22 PM
*bump* Wow! I missed this post all those years go! Very interesting!

I must admit the speed and seeming intelligence of Hinzman's zombie does look a bit out of place!

I agree......the thing that I wondered the most about was when Hinzman's zombie actually looks around for "a rock or something" to break the window. Randomly grabbing one I can see but looking for it???

(Yes you can tell I have seen this movie WAY too many times)