PDA

View Full Version : Helena, Hussy of Horror, Deadlands 2: Trapped Introduction

DjfunkmasterG
26-Oct-2008, 11:14 PM
This is a video we filmed with the character of Helena introducing my newest zombie film. It will forever be attached to the movie.

This is the second appearance of Helena, which had her first appearance as a contestant for Miss Horrorfest III for After Dark Films

Written and Directed by Lonnie Martin
Cinematography and Editing by Gary Ugarek
Music by Brian Wright

Enjoy the video

EQGntdGCmq0

EvilNed
26-Oct-2008, 11:54 PM
Can't you hear someone yelling "Cut!" at the end?

horrormad
27-Oct-2008, 12:05 AM
Can't you hear someone yelling "Cut!" at the end?

Yes I heard it.

Bub666
27-Oct-2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah,I could hear someone yell cut too.

Cody
27-Oct-2008, 02:58 AM
shes kinda hott. looking forward to this DJ, deadlands one was righteous.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Oct-2008, 09:17 AM
The person yelling cut.... Its intentional, She's holding a chainsaw, so the director yelling cut is like a small inside joke.

:D

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 11:01 AM
Well, we're your test audience, and I don't think that inside joke played very well. :P But hey.

Otherwise, she pulled it off well. I bought her being that character.

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2008, 11:06 AM
Kick-bottom vid there Deej. :)

That's one of my favourite tracks by Brian, I even put it on one of my mix cds for the car, so I can listen to it while driving around. :)

DjfunkmasterG
27-Oct-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank You sir... and guess what editing software I used to make this video, and all of my films... You guessed... SONY VEGAS

EvilNed
28-Oct-2008, 11:34 AM
Ah, is that why the image is so crummy... Time to update to Premiere, perhaps? ;)

DjfunkmasterG
28-Oct-2008, 12:24 PM
Image crummy, HA, yeah ok. That is pristine. Blame You Tube. Trust me that image is perfect. :p

EvilNed
28-Oct-2008, 01:21 PM
Sure, sure, boy... Blame it on the tube, when we all really know what's at fault here!

AcesandEights
28-Oct-2008, 02:26 PM
The person yelling cut.... Its intentional, She's holding a chainsaw, so the director yelling cut is like a small inside joke.

No worries, DJ...I got it ;)

DawnGirl27
28-Oct-2008, 04:00 PM
No worries, DJ...I got it ;)

Me, too. Kick butt little intro, DJ! :p

EvilNed
28-Oct-2008, 06:58 PM
For curiositys sake, would you mind explaining a bit behind the character of Helena? Basicly behind-the-scenes stuff, how she came to be, why she's hosting the film, etc. etc.

DjfunkmasterG
28-Oct-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, ummm.

About 2 weeks ago the contest for Ms. Horrorfest III, which is sponsored by After Dark Films, was being held via You Tube. Basically girls had to submit a 90 second video of themselves pitching why they would be the best Ms. Horrorfest.

Lonnie Martin, good friend and filmmaker, and his wife Cindy asked me about shooting a video for their entry. I agreed because they are good friends, and I am always looking to hone my cinematography and editing skills. Lonnie drafted a two page one girl screenplay about this girl, Helena, Hussy of Horror, played by his wife Cindy, and why she should be Ms. Horrorfest. basically it was supposed to be a throwback to the Elvira style Horror hosts, but the twist was she is dressed and acts like Betty Page.

See Video Here:

qbP19Ja-QB8

So one friday night I went to his house and shot it, then edited it the same night. As i was doing the sound design and listening to her pitch the After Dark films piece towards the end, I was like... Hmmm, I thought this could be a cool horror mistress type chick who could do reviews, interviews, and maybe even introduce movies. So I pitched it to Lonnie and Cindy and they thought about it. About 3-4 days later I asked if he would write and intro script of her Introducing Deadlands 2: Trapped, sort of a ways to test the waters to see if they want to go further with it, so the very next friday I went out to their house and we shot the intro video.

No one knew how it would work out and I only edited it 3 hours before I had to set the movie to render for the premiere, but when I finished it I was so impressed I called Lonnie told him it was done, but that he couldn't see it until the premiere that night. Once he and Cindy watched the intro, they started looking into doing more of these, and I think we will be filming two more intor's.

1. For Lonnie's Film Women's Studies
2. For another Film titled Grave Mistakes

The cool thing about this is while it was just supposed to be a one time idea, it is now becoming a re-occuring character, so I know Lonnie went and Trademarked it. I look forward to shooting furute videos. They're fun, and it gives me more Lighting Practice. The quality between the first one and this one are noticeable. The newest being much better in terms of pacing and lighting, the first has slightly better editing in my opinion.

So I offered to them that if they don't mind I would like to be a part of it fom behind the camera, doing the lighting editing, sound etc. The plan is to hopefully do a whole series. Lonnie even launched a website.

http://hussyofhorror.com/

Sure, sure, boy... Blame it on the tube, when we all really know what's at fault here!

The Camera operator :lol:

EvilNed
28-Oct-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually think she pulls off the part very well, so I was interested. It's nice that you've got that whole film community going. That's whats great about digital.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Oct-2008, 12:20 AM
Cindy (Helena) rocks the part. She just plays it very well, and I think if Lonnie and Cindy run with it they will have a great horror type mistress of the dark character to work with for many years.

I look forward to seeing Helena's resume expand.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2008, 10:58 AM
Cindy definitely does a kick-bottom job, the character is strong and I did notice a general improvement all round from the first to the second (in all aspects), so doing more will refine everybody's roles and involvement, and the style and such.

Hooray for the Hussy of Horror. :)

DjfunkmasterG
31-Oct-2008, 02:29 PM
Just informed Lonnie that Helena has a small following here on HPotD, and I think they are gearing up for the next video soon. Lonnie and Cindy are going to the Queens international film Fest with me next weekend (November 8th) so I will talk more about it with them in NYC.

Dj

chukrok
07-Nov-2008, 02:53 AM
That's freakin' sweet, dude. All involved did a bang-up job.

DawnGirl27
08-Nov-2008, 01:41 PM
Cindy's got a knack for what she does, and pulls it off nicely. It's cool how you were able to get involved in the videos and get some practice in at the same time, DJ. Nice work!

Neil
08-Nov-2008, 10:37 PM
That was great!

Bunker65
10-Nov-2008, 04:29 PM
It was funny when I met DJ at the Queens International Film Festival he introduced me to Cindy & Lonnie. When I saw Cindy in my mind I was thinking "Man, this girl looks really familiar to me. Where do I know her from?" After seeing her intro to Deadlands 2: Trapped I knew, it was from this thread :lol:.

I hope Cindy, Lonnie & DJ parlay Helena into something very successful because she's a great, fun character & the video was very cool :cool:.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2009, 07:28 PM
We are actually going to be doing a new Helena Video very soon. Lonnie told me he has something cooking in his brain involving her and movie reviews, starting with Friday the 13th.

I will know more soon, and keep you guys posted.

bassman
24-Feb-2009, 07:35 PM
You must have awesome friends if they let you film their wives in lingerie. No way in hell I would let my friends see my woman like that.:lol:

Good luck to yas, though.

mista_mo
24-Feb-2009, 07:48 PM
I would totally let her pick up my bone

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2009, 08:13 PM
You must have awesome friends if they let you film their wives in lingerie. No way in hell I would let my friends see my woman like that.:lol:

Good luck to yas, though.

Lonnie shot that. Believe me he was dealing with the issue about it. I said it is your decision, you guys do what you want. I didn't direct it, just cinematographer and editor.

Neil
24-Feb-2009, 08:40 PM
We are actually going to be doing a new Helena Video very soon. Lonnie told me he has something cooking in his brain involving her and movie reviews, starting with Friday the 13th.

I will know more soon, and keep you guys posted.

God, anything would be better than Script Girl over at Aint It Cool news! So yes! Get her doing movie news/reviews please!!!!

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2009, 09:11 PM
God, anything would be better than Script Girl over at Aint It Cool news! So yes! Get her doing movie news/reviews please!!!!
Indeed, that would be spankin' :cool:

Who'd be writing the reviews, and in what style?

You could even do film & horror genre related pieces, like a rant about remakes, or an argument back-and-forth about shamblers VS runners and so on...

Just an idea from out me noggin' ...

DjfunkmasterG
12-Apr-2009, 12:34 PM
Good news...

We have started filming the newest Helena Video, her first review when ready will be for SWAMP THING.

MinionZombie
12-Apr-2009, 01:19 PM
Good news...

We have started filming the newest Helena Video, her first review when ready will be for SWAMP THING.

Schweeeeeeeeet! :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
19-May-2009, 12:12 PM
The new Helena video should be up in about a week. I am doing final tweaks on it this week, and then I have to do post production sound. Showed the rough cut to Helena herself, and director lonnie Martin, who gave me some notes on the edit, which I am fixing, but otherwise, the hussy of horror shall return.

Helena now has her own website....

www.hussyofhorror.com

GingeUK
19-May-2009, 09:57 PM
I hope I am posting this in the correct thread but I was on my break here in the UK and picked up a horror magazine (gore something - sorry for not being able to remember the name right now) and found a review for Deadlands 2. They really liked it and gave it 4 out of 5.

:)

DjfunkmasterG
19-May-2009, 11:18 PM
Gore Zone?

I Have yet to read that article, any chance you feel like typing it out.

GingeUK
20-May-2009, 07:37 AM
Sorry - my 'picking up' I meant using the store as a library :D

From what I can remember though, they said every now and then a gem of a film pops through their post box and DeadLands 2 was one of them. They liked the film and would have loved the film to have had a bigger budget that it deserved, as well as really liking the fact that you had a zombie in a wedding dress.

Had I not read most of it in the shop I would bought it, but I had a long break :D You might be able to get someone who isn't a cheap skate like me to post you the review on the Gore Zone forum.

Sorry dude.

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2009, 09:45 AM
The newest Helena Video is now online...

cfoahanTo8o

MinionZombie
26-May-2009, 10:21 AM
The newest Helena Video is now online...

cfoahanTo8o
Really well made that was! :)

Nifty little title sequence, I like the cheeky home-made vibe to it, but it's also the ideal intro for a low budget horror presenter type thing anyway (you know, like the vampire guy in Gremlins 2).

Looks really good, sounds really good, the clips of the movie cut in nicely, the sound mix is ideal (nice and even throughout - some of these types of things you see online, where people review things, the reviewer is quiet while the clips are REALLY LOUD, or vice versa - but here it's nicely level).

Plus, Helena herself, has come along well since the DL2 video - you can see the character has been refined and worked on.

So aye - really well made, and it's comparatively a blockbuster when considered next to some of the other 'pop & cult cultural review' shows online. :cool:

Spiffing! :)

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2009, 01:01 PM
Really well made that was! :)

Nifty little title sequence, I like the cheeky home-made vibe to it, but it's also the ideal intro for a low budget horror presenter type thing anyway (you know, like the vampire guy in Gremlins 2).

Looks really good, sounds really good, the clips of the movie cut in nicely, the sound mix is ideal (nice and even throughout - some of these types of things you see online, where people review things, the reviewer is quiet while the clips are REALLY LOUD, or vice versa - but here it's nicely level).

Plus, Helena herself, has come along well since the DL2 video - you can see the character has been refined and worked on.

So aye - really well made, and it's comparatively a blockbuster when considered next to some of the other 'pop & cult cultural review' shows online. :cool:

Spiffing! :)

Glad ya dig it.

I probably should give Helena her own thread so she isn't lumped in with Deadlands 2.

Funny tidbit, this is the first helena Video shot and shown in 16:9, all the previous vids were 2.35:1