PDA

View Full Version : Zombies holding weapons? ew

Billythezombie
27-Oct-2008, 01:38 AM
now some of you would agree with me, a zombie with a gun just isnt good, nor is it smart, its just takes away the feel...the magic of a classic zombie. I love the good old fashioned zombs using there teeth to tear the flesh off a human, not shooting them or hitting them!!! No!!!! Smart Zombies are just not that scary, i mean,,,the whole idea of a zombie BEING scary is that there dumb witted, instinctual beings, that are soo hungry its makes them insane to eat your flesh, using there mouth to bite :). Zombies using weapons just dosent do it for me... who agrees?:D

AlienRay
27-Oct-2008, 01:52 AM
There's a scene I like in the novel Dead City. A police officer has died with an assault rifle in his hands. When he reanimates, he starts grasping for victims, and his hands clench reflexively. Since his finger is still on the gun's trigger, he begins spraying the area with gunfire accidentally.

That's about the extent to which I want to see zombies using weapons.

Andy
27-Oct-2008, 02:04 AM
Lest we forget you, bub.

Bub666
27-Oct-2008, 02:12 AM
I thought the scenes where Bub had the gun was very well done.

horrormad
27-Oct-2008, 02:15 AM
I dont really mind zombies with weapons take Big Daddy I like him.

Billythezombie
27-Oct-2008, 03:14 AM
hmmmmm well who knows...anyone got any more suggestions?

blind2d
27-Oct-2008, 03:16 AM
Yes, I agree that by keeping the zeds dumb, weapons are okay, just so they're not suddenly expert snipers, or anything...

Billythezombie
27-Oct-2008, 03:26 AM
yeah i agree its kinda stupid lol...exactly how zombies should be...stupid! :P:P
but do u know what would be disgusting? If u ate a bit of a zombie....and if u ate a bit of zombies flesh...would u turn into a zombie?

Bub666
27-Oct-2008, 03:31 AM
but do u know what would be disgusting? If u ate a bit of a zombie....and if u ate a bit of zombies flesh...would u turn into a zombie?

Now that would be disgusting.
:hurl:

sandrock74
27-Oct-2008, 03:39 AM
A zombie with a gun isn't that big a deal. Running zombies are just dumb.

Billythezombie
27-Oct-2008, 03:40 AM
lol i like running zombies XD

Doc
27-Oct-2008, 04:12 AM
I thought the scenes where Bub had the gun was very well done.

Me too. I personally found that belivable. Big Daddy.....not so much.:annoyed:

Philly_SWAT
27-Oct-2008, 04:17 AM
now some of you would agree with me, a zombie with a gun just isnt good, nor is it smart, its just takes away the feel...the magic of a classic zombie. I love the good old fashioned zombs using there teeth to tear the flesh off a human, not shooting them or hitting them!!! No!!!! Smart Zombies are just not that scary, i mean,,,the whole idea of a zombie BEING scary is that there dumb witted, instinctual beings, that are soo hungry its makes them insane to eat your flesh, using there mouth to bite :). Zombies using weapons just dosent do it for me... who agrees?:D
I consider Day of the Dead to be "classic zombie", therefore I have no problem with zombies with guns, at least if done in that pure instinctual way. The Frankenstein character goes as far to tell (us, the audience) that he must have been in the military, to further explain (make us accept as reasonable) that Bub could use a gun. As far as being dumb witted, there are many dumb witted living persons walking on this planet right now that are very proficient with guns. And seeing that zombies "are us, that's all", it stand to reason that they could use a weapon. Dr. Millard Roush tells us that there were reports of zeds using objects as bludgeons, and make shift tools, and other things remembered from "normal life". It is very normal for some people to use guns, therefore not a stretch that a zed could in a half-assed zed kind of way.

blind2d
27-Oct-2008, 11:47 AM
Logical, but zeds aren't, so... hmm...

bassman
27-Oct-2008, 12:11 PM
This old gem of a discussion again, eh? I'll answer the same as always...

Night - Cemetery Zombie with a brick, Karen with a trowel.

Dawn - Gun Zombie that switches with Peter, the tv announcer that states they can use basic tools.

Day - Bub of course

Land - Big Daddy remembers guns and teaches the others

It's always been there, if you ask me. Just some were executed a bit better than others.

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2008, 02:23 PM
I consider Day of the Dead to be "classic zombie", therefore I have no problem with zombies with guns, at least if done in that pure instinctual way. The Frankenstein character goes as far to tell (us, the audience) that he must have been in the military, to further explain (make us accept as reasonable) that Bub could use a gun.

Exactly! I like how Day and Bub were handled, but I do agree that zombie's easily and regularly using guns is a bit much and, for me, goes against what I like about zombies.

You can have Bub's gun only when you pry it from...ermmm...never mind.

Cody
27-Oct-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't like Big Daddy. By the time Land happened the living deads brains would have been wayy to decomposed to bring back former memories or think on how to get prey. Bub was cool though. I like it if some (very few) recall a few memories.

Philly_SWAT
27-Oct-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't like Big Daddy. By the time Land happened the living deads brains would have been wayy to decomposed to bring back former memories or think on how to get prey. Bub was cool though. I like it if some (very few) recall a few memories.

I dont care that much for Big Daddy either. If Land happens before Day though, then that explains why the brains werent too decomposed to bring back memories and think on how to get prey.

Thorn
27-Oct-2008, 03:12 PM
I personally agree with the OP in a sense, I think zombies walking around with guns and accurately sniping people takes a lot away from them. I find zombies that are more animals, monsters, or shadows of ourselves back from the dead much more frightening.

If I wanted to watch movies where bad guys with guns kill people I would rent a movie about that.

With that having been said precedent has indeed been set for zombies to use tools, and to remember things from their living lives. They should just not do so very well. Look at the band in Land. Were these zeds master musicians? I have to assume they were better than that in life.

The difference is they are dead.

I hated the degree to which zombies used tools in Land, and I disliked immensely just how deftly they did so. A zombie could not bang the tambourine in the gazebo but big daddy shows the butcher zombie where to hit a plywood wall with his cleaver and he does so with the strength and accuracy of a living being? I see.

OH and AcesandEights

I LOVED that joke.

darth los
27-Oct-2008, 04:20 PM

I dont care that much for Big Daddy either. If Land happens before Day though, then that explains why the brains werent too decomposed to bring back memories and think on how to get prey.

Come to think of it, I can see Land happening after day. Think about it:

In Day they're all losing it, and struggling to comprehend what's going on. They seem torn between the reality of what's happening and continuing their"old" duties. This implies that they still haven't lost hope of reversing what's going on.

The attitude in land is totally different. The humans seem jaded to it all. Resigned to the fact that this is the way things are and they're trying to make the best of it. This implies that it has been going on long enough for it to become commonplace.

:cool:

Thorn
27-Oct-2008, 04:35 PM
Awesome points Darth.

Philly_SWAT
27-Oct-2008, 04:56 PM

In Day they're all losing it, and struggling to comprehend what's going on. They seem torn between the reality of what's happening and continuing their"old" duties. This implies that they still haven't lost hope of reversing what's going on.

The attitude in land is totally different. The humans seem jaded to it all. Resigned to the fact that this is the way things are and they're trying to make the best of it. This implies that it has been going on long enough for it to become commonplace.

That is all a matter of how you look at it. Absolutely the attitude in Land is infact totally different. The humans do seem jaded to it all. In Day, they are losing it. However I say that you would become jaded first, losing it second. The main thing I look at is that in Land, there are tons of people around, in Day, they can not find anyone for 100 miles in any direction. And in Land, they are using the Dead Reckloning to leave the city and forage for supplies. How long do you think you are going to find food, medicine, cigars, liquor, etc. for all those people we see in Land? I think it is safe to assume that no new goods are being delivered to unmanned stores in the midst of a zombie outbreak. Therefore, Land must be nearer to the start of the outbreak than Day.

darth los
27-Oct-2008, 05:49 PM
That is all a matter of how you look at it. Absolutely the attitude in Land is infact totally different. The humans do seem jaded to it all. In Day, they are losing it. However I say that you would become jaded first, losing it second. The main thing I look at is that in Land, there are tons of people around, in Day, they can not find anyone for 100 miles in any direction. And in Land, they are using the Dead Reckloning to leave the city and forage for supplies. How long do you think you are going to find food, medicine, cigars, liquor, etc. for all those people we see in Land? I think it is safe to assume that no new goods are being delivered to unmanned stores in the midst of a zombie outbreak. Therefore, Land must be nearer to the start of the outbreak than Day.

Ah, but the very essence of human nature contradicts your point. The longer something goes on the more "used" to it you get. Take the Isrellis for example. They've been living with terrorism and the threat of being blown up on a daily basis for decades now and they go about their business as usual.

Now look at us. We've never been attacked by terrorists on our soil and look how we reacted. Total fear and panic and we made some dumb ass decisions as a result. But that's for another discussion.

The point is that the longer you live with the specter of something lurking, always threatening to erradicate you the more jaded you become to it and just accept it and go about your daily business. Just as we see in land. So logic and human nature dictates that land comes after Day just as the title implies. :D

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2008, 07:53 PM

Shhhhhh!!!

He is in this thread, He that must not be named whilst Land of the Dead or Day of the Dead continuity is in question!

Just kidding, Philly :skull:

sandrock74
27-Oct-2008, 09:25 PM
lol i like running zombies XD

I know. Your a newbie.

MontagMOI
27-Oct-2008, 11:07 PM
...and then of course, there's Burial Ground......groan....

Billythezombie
28-Oct-2008, 09:12 AM
Where thorn said in his reply :
"If I wanted to watch movies where bad guys with guns kill people I would rent a movie about that."

i absolutely totally agree!!! If you wanted a movie where the bad guy shoots peoples up, you would rent a friggin cop movie or like a...hitman movie or sumthing lol. The reason you get zombies movies and the reason why people love zombies is because they basically....eat you alive! With their mouths and all, that very morbid idea is what we have grown to love and what we cherish, i dont think we should spoil zombies with giving them a "shoot em' up" type of thing, we should give them a very basic, but excelente weapon-their cannibalistic toothed mouth :)

Yojimbo
30-Oct-2008, 05:40 PM
I know. Your a newbie.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I myself wouldn't mind the running zombies, if they weren't featured having superhuman abilities - like doing sophisticated gymnastics and climbing up walls - and making raptor screeches.

As far as zombies using guns, I didn't think there was anything ridiculous about the Assault Rifle zombie in DOTD who is marching around with Roger's M-16, or poor Stephen zombie with the pistol dangling from his hand like he isn't even aware that it is there. Bub made sense to me. Big Daddy, I just hated that dude and felt his "arrrgh" communication was ridiculous and overdone.

But think about how scary it would be if ghouls could actually use weapons! They would end up "hunting" humans, just like we stalk deer.

darth los
30-Oct-2008, 06:10 PM
i dont think we should spoil zombies with giving them a "shoot em' up" type of thing, we should give them a very basic, but excelente weapon-their cannibalistic toothed mouth :)

Imo, them all of a sudden being endowed with intelligence and working together spoils my experience much more than them using guns and tools ever could.

Craig
30-Oct-2008, 07:47 PM
I have to say I prefer zombies that don't use any form of weapon (as a weapon that is, by accident is OK). That's why I have to say Romero's zombies aren't my favourite sort, despite them being the classic and 'original' flesh eating zombies. I know it's a huge part of Romero's zombie lore but I'm just not a huge fan of the whole learning and retaining memories aspect of them.

darth los
30-Oct-2008, 08:06 PM
I have to say I prefer zombies that don't use any form of weapon (as a weapon that is, by accident is OK). That's why I have to say Romero's zombies aren't my favourite sort, despite them being the classic and 'original' flesh eating zombies. I know it's a huge part of Romero's zombie lore but I'm just not a huge fan of the whole learning and retaining memories aspect of them.

Although I am not a fan of the intelligent zombie angle either but the fact remains that zombies do indeed retain memories from their former lives. Also, from the get go, in the original night, they have used tools. Look no further than hinzman breaking the car window with a rock and a ghoul trying to dreak into the house with an old table leg. But this was in pursuit of food. My problem comes in when they start using tools for other things.

Skippy911sc
30-Oct-2008, 09:39 PM
Imo, them all of a sudden being endowed with intelligence and working together spoils my experience much more than them using guns and tools ever could.:

This is why I did not like Land...period. It was not in the GAR way to make these things smart and able to communicate with each other. And as much as I like Savini in Dawn, his character in Land was horrid. Why did they somehow decide to kill for the sake of killing instead for food? Made the magic all but disappear. It also made the running Z's more reasonable to me. It made them scary again. Its the numbers not the tools or weapons.

blind2d
31-Oct-2008, 12:59 AM
Agreed, inter-zombie communication does defeat the whole point (at least for me). Now if WE could talk to THEM... no, that would suck too.

darth los
31-Oct-2008, 03:35 PM
One of the tenets of the mythology is that these beings possess little to no reasoning power. Once that changes they cease to be what captivated us all those years ago.

Yojimbo
01-Nov-2008, 12:45 AM
One of the tenets of the mythology is that these beings possess little to no reasoning power. Once that changes they cease to be what captivated us all those years ago.

Arrgh! Zombie want revenge on humans! Arrgh! Zombie call meeting with zombie caucus, determine best strategy and how to execute zombie plan, arrgh!!!!!

sandrock74
01-Nov-2008, 02:18 AM
President Bub and V.P. Big Daddy have declared an official peace to be made with humans.