PDA

View Full Version : You can't buy a gun, you're a WOMAN! And OLD!

Publius
30-Oct-2008, 03:42 PM
http://delawareonline.com/article/20081028/NEWS01/810280392/1006/NEWS

I think that's pretty outrageous. I hope she tries suing the state over it.

bassman
30-Oct-2008, 03:58 PM
Age I can understand....but Gender?:rockbrow:

Delaware must have tighter gun laws then around here. Within the last month I bought a handgun and shotgun. Walked up to the counter, paid, got my receipt, walked out. No fuss and no wait...

Cody
30-Oct-2008, 04:09 PM
I would of sold her the gun <3

Mike70
30-Oct-2008, 04:14 PM
that is a disturbing story on several levels. besides the age and gender discrimination, the fact that the cops in del were illegally keeping gun purchase records for years when they were supposed to destroy them after 60 days, is troubling to say the least.

darth los
30-Oct-2008, 05:18 PM
that is a disturbing story on several levels. besides the age and gender discrimination, the fact that the cops in del were illegally keeping gun purchase records for years when they were supposed to destroy them after 60 days, is troubling to say the least.

Civil rights violations are the American way.

Try something: Read the constitution and then compare it to what actually goes on in real life. It's like they're from two alternate dimensions. What's in the document is nothing like the reality of what goes on in this country. Funny thing is that we love to condemn countries for doing similar things, yet It always seems to be justified when we do it.:confused:

:cool:

horrormad
30-Oct-2008, 05:42 PM
I would of sold her the gun <3

Yep and me nothing better than girls with guns.

Skippy911sc
30-Oct-2008, 06:34 PM
I think the system in Illinois works on some levels...there is a waiting period for firearms...you buy the gun wait 2-3 days then go pick it up. When I buy the firearm I don't like it, but I understand it. We also have a firearm Owners ID card here. It bothers some, but I don't mind so much. I also have a strong belief in a background check of sorts. I would not rent an apartment to someone without a background check and yet most folks are able to buy a gun without one. I think the technology need to be revamped and updated to allow for immediate results. The waiting period is not such a bad idea so if someone was upset then they would have the time to cool off before taking possession.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW I am a proud owner of firearms and a believer in the 2nd amendment.

Yojimbo
30-Oct-2008, 08:25 PM
I was once in a gunstore outside of Los Angeles picking up some ammo to go plinking and an elderly woman was at the counter speaking with the clerk. The woman looked a little disconnected and was speaking in a flat monotone. Apparently she had wanted to purchase a .38 S&W and ONE BULLET so the clerk informed her that there was a waiting period and that she would have to come back after that period of time, then proceeded to talk the woman out of purchasing a handgun. She eventually gave up and left the store and the clerk told me that people frequently come in like her and request a similar purchase, assumedly so that they can commit suicide. I then got into a discussion with the clerk and asked him if the old lady had been cool with the waiting period would he then had proceeded to sell her a firearm and he told me that he would under no circumstances ever sell a firearm that was intended to be used in this manner by the purchaser.

So as a proud gun owner and NRA member, I know that the waiting period can be a hassle, but honestly I do not mind waiting for a short period of time if it is going to be of benefit to society. But in this particular case in Illinois where a presumably non-suicidal elderly woman was denied a firearm soley because of her age and sex is an outright violation of her constitutional rights. Not to mention the very disturbing news that the local PD is keeping tabs on the guns purchased beyond what would be reasonably allowed under the state statues, which really rubs me the wrong way.

In Los Angeles, the powers that be have been attempting to pass and in some cases have been able to pass a lot of pretty stupid regulations, all of which are supposedly for the common good. Ammunition sales, for example, are not allowed in the City of Los Angeles for the week before New Years Day and Fourth of July supposedly to prevent celebratory gunfire, yet do not take into account that cities within a five minute driving distance surrounding the City of Los Angeles do not have a similar ban, so these yahoos can still easily get their ammo. They has been talk of only allowing sales of ammunition with serial numbers attached to the bullet, weapons that can only be fired by a specific user (a technology which still has not been developed) and a lot of other useless ideas. Those who wish to purchase handguns must go through a safety test (which in and of itself is one serious joke of a test) and are limited as to how many firearms they may purchase at a time (presumably to stop the reselling of the guns, which is already illegal)

Publius
30-Oct-2008, 08:46 PM
Try something: Read the constitution and then compare it to what actually goes on in real life. It's like they're from two alternate dimensions. What's in the document is nothing like the reality of what goes on in this country. Funny thing is that we love to condemn countries for doing similar things, yet It always seems to be justified when we do it.:confused:

Amen! Although our ideas about where the mismatch is most obvious may differ. ;)

DubiousComforts
30-Oct-2008, 08:53 PM
Watch out because you will be labeled "unpatriotic," "un-American" and a "terrorist" for expressing such crazy thoughts.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/D/O/propaganda_questions.jpg

Yojimbo
30-Oct-2008, 09:13 PM
Watch out because you will be labeled "unpatriotic," "un-American" and a "terrorist" for expressing such crazy thoughts.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/D/O/propaganda_questions.jpg
Sadly, I think it was the framer's intention to consider rhetoric like darth's and publius' to be uniquely patriotic and "american"

Cody
30-Oct-2008, 09:48 PM
I was once in a gunstore outside of Los Angeles picking up some ammo to go plinking and an elderly woman was at the counter speaking with the clerk. The woman looked a little disconnected and was speaking in a flat monotone. Apparently she had wanted to purchase a .38 S&W and ONE BULLET so the clerk informed her that there was a waiting period and that she would have to come back after that period of time, then proceeded to talk the woman out of purchasing a handgun. She eventually gave up and left the store and the clerk told me that people frequently come in like her and request a similar purchase, assumedly so that they can commit suicide. I then got into a discussion with the clerk and asked him if the old lady had been cool with the waiting period would he then had proceeded to sell her a firearm and he told me that he would under no circumstances ever sell a firearm that was intended to be used in this manner by the purchaser.

Thats creepy

Yojimbo
30-Oct-2008, 10:34 PM
Thats creepy
Dude, worse than that: An indoor shooting range in Downtown Los Angeles where I go rents guns by the hour for use at the range. Kinda cool, if your want to try out a particular piece or live out your fantasy of using the Die Hard gun, or the Dirty Harry pistol (and a lot of tourists come in to the range specifically do do just that)

One weekend a few years back I went down to the range to find the police all over the facility. I recognized the guy who is usually behind the counter outside smoking a cigarette so I asked him what had gone down to attract all the cops, and he told me a guy rented a pistol, went into the range and then blew his brains out. Shocking stuff, but then the dude told me that it happens at nearly all the ranges around town from time to time, and he brushed off this incident as purely routine. Sad when you get to a place where death like this becomes just another annoying part of your daily job!

horrormad
30-Oct-2008, 10:57 PM
One weekend a few years back I went down to the range to find the police all over the facility. I recognized the guy who is usually behind the counter outside smoking a cigarette so I asked him what had gone down to attract all the cops, and he told me a guy rented a pistol, went into the range and then blew his brains out. Shocking stuff, but then the dude told me that it happens at nearly all the ranges around town from time to time, and he brushed off this incident as purely routine. Sad when you get to a place where death like this becomes just another annoying part of your daily job!

Wow that is shocking.

blind2d
31-Oct-2008, 12:50 AM
I would never own a gun myself, but I think that anyone should be able to buy one, no matter the gender or age (unless the person appears senile or handicapped to the point of suspicion). Yes, the second amendment is good, and yes, people abuse it, but the alternative is ultimately worse.