PDA

View Full Version : Pre-review of Left 4 Dead, Cod5, etc etc - Eurogamer Expo

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey all

So I was at the Eurogamer expo on Wednesday this week and was lucky enough to preview a whole bunch of cool-ass games that we've been talking about for a while...I'll get straight to it...

Left 4 Dead....
we played left 4 dead pretty much the first thing we tried out....what can I say other than...this game is set to be AMAZING. We played a co-op 4 player multiplayer game whereby you're charged with the responsibility of surviving an onslaught in an underground train station...the "infected" are brutal in this game, Valve have really nailed down the intensity and ferocity of infected style zombie gaming...they run at you at an amazing speed and are really scary, the character animations are superb and the gore is excellent...Interesting points about the game: you can heal your team mates, save them from onslaughts and stuff...there's no zoom in your aim, which was hard to get used to - but it really works after a while, you can carry 1 big weapon and 1 smaller weapon such as a hand gun, and the maps we played were a train station and some sort of warehousey type thing where we ended up on the roof as the infected climbed onto the roofs and stuff...when we were in the stationary train underground it was the most intense moment I'd felt from any game at the expo - the infected break in and charge at you from the end of the train and it was just unbelievable...we queued up again to play another round!!!

You will LOVE left 4 dead, from what I've played it's set to be simply the best zombie/infected style game that's been made for this generation...

Which leads me onto....

Resident Evil 5....

Five seconds after playing Resi 5, I knew it was going to be special...the control scheme takes a little getting used to, it keeps the usual "hold this button to run" thing, whilst walking around is your main way of moving...(unlike games where you're always running around)...what struck me as simply beautiful is the zombie's faces...they are so detailed and life-like it is actually unnerving - the graphics are sweeter than almost any other game I've played - but we didn't play enough of it to really gauge whether this game is going to be worth buying, but if the graphics are anything to go on, this is definitely worth a look....as usual, I ran out of ammo in the first five mins and got eaten...! It certainly looks special and I will definitely be buying it....

LittleBigPlanet
We tried this out purely out of curiosity - the Ps3 it was in was just sitting there with no protection so we joked about nicking it, Peter jokingly suggested we press the PS button to see if there was a disc in the machine, and when I did a Sony representative shot over to us and said "Don't push the PS button!!"...we talked about which level we were going to choose and I jokingly suggested we'd choose the Savannah level which caused a lot of furor regarding a religious islamic song that was used and she wouldn't let me choose it....!! haha...anyway the game is fairly fun but really it's nothing you couldn't get on the Wii...a take it or leave it title....

Fallout 3
Ahhh, this game is so big and beautiful - RPGs aren't for me, but we went through the first 40 mins of the game and there's so much to this that I simply can't describe it. I'd say it's a nice inbetween of Mass Effect and Bioshock and will bring you 100+ hours of in-depth gaming...

Tom Clancy's Hawx
Avoid....complete gash jet flying shooter thing...boring as hell.

Tom Clancy's Endwar:
Lame RTS game that has a great voice control feature but by and large isn't for me at all...

Street Fighter 4
Is it number 4? I dunno...anyway it's exactly the same as the old street fighters albeit with slightly better graphics...not for me at all...

Prince of Persia
Dodgy as hell graphics and again, more of the same Prince of Persia stuff - this one is more focused on puzzles, ie: get from here to here, interspersed between boss fights - there are no usual walk and slash type scenarios...just seems to be puzzle, boss, puzzle boss.....ugh

Call of Duty: World At War
we played a 16 player multiplayer match and it was fairly intense to say the least! However I'm just a bit sick of WW2 shooters, and this was definitely just another WW2 shooter...it uses the same engine from Cod4 so there's hope in that, and you can unleash dogs and stuff on your enemies which is pretty cool - but the bottom line is, if you've used the Thompson, M1 Garand, Sten or Bren guns, in any other game, then you've pretty much played this game...which is a shame, but it was a good laugh so there's definitely a chance of getting a wicked time out of this game....

Killzone 2 looks amazing, we didn't get to play it but were watching it and the graphics are sweet, this will definitely be the game that makes the ps3 worth buying...

sitting next to killzone 2 was Resistance 2, which was a bad idea on the expo's part...Killzone 2 made Resistance 2 look like Donkey Kong, you could literally see that resistance 2 was trying to live up to the same idealogy of being a dark, intense shooter but it just looks inferior next to it's rival...

And the bad news is: I didn't play Gears of War 2...had no interest in it!

Cheers!

Bunker65
31-Oct-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your impressions Symph :cool:. I was already going to be picking up Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 5 & COD: World at War but it's still great to get the impressions of someone who got to play them !! Again, thanks:thumbsup:.

Cody
31-Oct-2008, 03:31 PM
resident evil 5 isnt going to be a PS exclusive is it?

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2008, 03:41 PM
resident evil 5 isnt going to be a PS exclusive is it?

Nope, we played the 360 version - the ps3 version was still called Biohazard!

CoinReturn
31-Oct-2008, 05:41 PM
Awesome impressions, Left 4 Dead sounds incredible. I just learned that you get early access to the demo on November 6th (It releases November 11th to everyone else) if you preorder @ Gamestop, so I'm off to do just that.

MinionZombie
31-Oct-2008, 07:12 PM
So what did COD5 feel like to play? Did it feel and look more along the lines of COD4 or COD3?

Obviously, what I'm trying to figure out is, will it be more like the good gravy stylings of COD4, or will it be that kinda "well ... it's alright, but...*sigh*" vibe of COD3? :D

SymphonicX
31-Oct-2008, 07:15 PM
So what did COD5 feel like to play? Did it feel and look more along the lines of COD4 or COD3?

Obviously, what I'm trying to figure out is, will it be more like the good gravy stylings of COD4, or will it be that kinda "well ... it's alright, but...*sigh*" vibe of COD3? :D

It was really hard to gauge whether it'll be better than Cod4 - the one map I played seemed pretty cool, but it definitely felt like COD2 and COD3 simply because it uses the same tired mechanisms of WW2 shooters...still it WAS good fun, and it played just like COD4 in terms of aiming, moving, and shooting - and the dogs of course....but still, it's a WW2 game, so it's definitely debatable as to whether this will be a worthy departure from COD3...

you can play it yourself though - there are beta testing sessions that you just have to register for, check the COD5 website or something, and you can download it from marketplace with a code or something, apparently!

ProfessorChaos
01-Nov-2008, 01:18 AM
well, the next two games i was planning on picking up were the new call of duty and left 4 dead (already pre-ordered, 1 week till i can get my mitts on the demo), so i'm glad to hear you liked them so much.

MinionZombie
01-Nov-2008, 11:36 AM
Well I know that COD5 will NOT beat COD4, because that was just effing epic, but hopefully they've gotten rid of the lazy coding, crow-barred-in driving segments, constant use of cinematic moments during gameplay that take control away from you, a piss poor story, and some annoying moments - such as rowing across a river, or trying to aim those goddamn mounted cannons on the last level.

So hopefully they'll stick to COD4 construction, because the aforementioned examples made COD3 the sore thumb of the series ... oh, and always being forced to play the training bit at the start of level one no matter what ... and NOT being able to skip cutscenes EVER, geez there were so many annoying things about COD3, which damn near over-rided the good moments COD3 did have.

COD4 felt more like an experience, whereas COD3 felt more like a videogame ... if that makes sense.

SymphonicX
01-Nov-2008, 11:45 AM
Well I know that COD5 will NOT beat COD4, because that was just effing epic, but hopefully they've gotten rid of the lazy coding, crow-barred-in driving segments, constant use of cinematic moments during gameplay that take control away from you, a piss poor story, and some annoying moments - such as rowing across a river, or trying to aim those goddamn mounted cannons on the last level.

So hopefully they'll stick to COD4 construction, because the aforementioned examples made COD3 the sore thumb of the series ... oh, and always being forced to play the training bit at the start of level one no matter what ... and NOT being able to skip cutscenes EVER, geez there were so many annoying things about COD3, which damn near over-rided the good moments COD3 did have.

COD4 felt more like an experience, whereas COD3 felt more like a videogame ... if that makes sense.

yeah i'm with you 100% on that one