PDA

View Full Version : just horrible

acealive1
01-Nov-2008, 11:01 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_re_us/trick_or_treat_killing

yea sure, he had enough time to load and fire a gun 30 times and didnt know it was a kid :rolleyes:

Yojimbo
01-Nov-2008, 11:24 PM
Very sad and an utterly pointless death of an innocent.

Yet another example of a person who is not fit to have a gun, and legally was not allowed to have a gun yet somehow managed to get one because he was an ex-con.

Pass any legistlation you want about the ownership of guns but the only people who will abide by these rules are the law-abiding citizens. This is a tragic example of how laws and rules are largely ignored by criminals and idiots, and will certainly result in an increase in political posturing rallying around the war cry to get guns off the streets.

strayrider
02-Nov-2008, 05:29 AM
Very sad and an utterly pointless death of an innocent.

Yet another example of a person who is not fit to have a gun, and legally was not allowed to have a gun yet somehow managed to get one because he was an ex-con.

Pass any legistlation you want about the ownership of guns but the only people who will abide by these rules are the law-abiding citizens. This is a tragic example of how laws and rules are largely ignored by criminals and idiots, and will certainly result in an increase in political posturing rallying around the war cry to get guns off the streets.

Yup, more "ammo" for the anti-gun nutjobs in this country. You are absolutely correct.

:D

-stray-

EvilNed
02-Nov-2008, 10:40 AM
Anyone who goes for his GUN whenever someone knocks on his door is not fit to live in society, period.

Yojimbo
02-Nov-2008, 04:00 PM
Anyone who goes for his GUN whenever someone knocks on his door is not fit to live in society, period.

Total agreement. I should add that firing haphazardly through a door when you have no idea who is knocking (let alone what day it is- IT WAS HALLOWEEN!) is the sign of a total mental defective. Sadly, as Stray mentioned, this will end up used a propoganda by the anti-gun people.

SymphonicX
02-Nov-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not even getting involved in this one. :rolleyes:

MikePizzoff
02-Nov-2008, 04:44 PM
How far off do you have to be to shoot a gun at your door when you hear a knock on it?

Thought he was being robbed? My ass. WHAT ROBBER KNOCKS BEFORE HE ROBS?

slickwilly13
02-Nov-2008, 05:26 PM
WHAT ROBBER KNOCKS BEFORE HE ROBS?

You would be surprised.

But still, if he had any sense he would have checked to see who was there. I hope he doesn't get off lightly.

Philly_SWAT
02-Nov-2008, 07:32 PM
How far off do you have to be to shoot a gun at your door when you hear a knock on it?

Thought he was being robbed? My ass. WHAT ROBBER KNOCKS BEFORE HE ROBS?

Excellent point. I hope that everyone remembers, guns don't kill people, dumbasses like Quentin Patrick kill people.

Bub666
02-Nov-2008, 10:05 PM
WHAT ROBBER KNOCKS BEFORE HE ROBS?

A moron.

bassman
03-Nov-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow. What a shame.

If I were the father, they would be taking me to jail for murder as well....

DubiousComforts
03-Nov-2008, 04:31 PM
I hope that everyone remembers, guns don't kill people, dumbasses like Quentin Patrick kill people.
But having a gun (particularly an assault weapon) sure does help.

Yup, more "ammo" for the anti-gun nutjobs in this country.
This type of attitude is exactly why we will never reach a reasonable solution to the problem. Here's a real doozy: Boy, 8, killed in Mass. gun show accident (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081027/ap_on_re_us/boy_shoots_himself)

Publius
03-Nov-2008, 04:57 PM

Given that the guy in question was probably a drug dealer (22 year old ex-con whose girlfriend goes running off with $7,500 in unexplained cash), I doubt any law would prevent him from getting ahold of a gun any more than the law has kept him from getting ahold of drugs to sell.

This type of attitude is exactly why we will never reach a reasonable solution to the problem. Here's a real doozy: Boy, 8, killed in Mass. gun show accident (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081027/ap_on_re_us/boy_shoots_himself)

Define "reasonable solution." The incident you link to is a horrible tragedy, but hard to view as anything other than a bizarre accident. I would be surprised if anything like it had ever happened before.

DubiousComforts
03-Nov-2008, 05:22 PM
Given that the guy in question was probably a drug dealer (22 year old ex-con whose girlfriend goes running off with $7,500 in unexplained cash), I doubt any law would prevent him from getting ahold of a gun any more than the law has kept him from getting ahold of drugs to sell.

Define "reasonable solution." The incident you link to is a horrible tragedy, but hard to view as anything other than a bizarre accident. I would be surprised if anything like it had ever happened before.
You should be surprised that it ever happened at all.

I never mentioned "laws" being a preventative solution. But as long as this piss-poor cultural attitude in the USA exists that the second amendment makes it just A-OK to be armed with every conceivable dangerous weapon, there will be more tragedies such as kids being mowed down because they dared to go trick-or-treating. Sure you'll get people shaking their heads in sympathy, but gosh darn it, we still gotta protect ourselves with AK-47s from all the nut jobs!

I support the second amendment 100%, but you really have to wonder which nut jobs' rights you're supporting to "protect" themselves. It's always the law-abiding, unarmed citizens that get killed.

Bub666
03-Nov-2008, 10:18 PM
If I were the father, they would be taking me to jail for murder as well....

I agree 100%.

Skippy911sc
04-Nov-2008, 05:52 PM

I read about this, what kind of person lets an 8 year old fire an UZI??? not only that but it sounds as if it were full auto! I have let my kids fire a .22 LR but I am holding their hands as they fire it. I think Kids should learn on a single action wheel gun...no way to fire really fast and only 5-6 rounds.

Publius
04-Nov-2008, 06:31 PM
You should be surprised that it ever happened at all.

I am! It kind of follows from that, given that it obviously happened once, I would be even more surprised if this were just the latest in a series of similar incidents.

I never mentioned "laws" being a preventative solution. But as long as this piss-poor cultural attitude in the USA exists that the second amendment makes it just A-OK to be armed with every conceivable dangerous weapon, there will be more tragedies such as kids being mowed down because they dared to go trick-or-treating. Sure you'll get people shaking their heads in sympathy, but gosh darn it, we still gotta protect ourselves with AK-47s from all the nut jobs!

Sorry if I jumped to an incorrect conclusion, then. What IS your proposed solution? If you're getting at societal disapproval, I think society already disapproves pretty strongly of ex-con drug dealers having guns. Except for hip-hop culture, which seems to think it's pretty cool.

I read about this, what kind of person lets an 8 year old fire an UZI??? not only that but it sounds as if it were full auto!

Darn right. Especially a Micro Uzi, which has half the barrel length and twice the rate of fire of a normal Uzi. And it WAS fully automatic. Ultracompact submachine guns like that are notoriously difficult to control even for an adult.

I have let my kids fire a .22 LR but I am holding their hands as they fire it. I think Kids should learn on a single action wheel gun...no way to fire really fast and only 5-6 rounds.

I think a bolt-action or lever-action .22LR rifle is the best thing for kids to learn on. A lot harder to shoot yourself and a lot easier to keep positive control of where the weapon is pointed with a 16+ inch barrel. And not being able to fire more than one round without cocking helps avoid accidents too.

Yojimbo
04-Nov-2008, 07:33 PM
I was taught on a tube fed semi-auto .22 rimfire winchester under the watchful eye of an uncle who was severely obsessive and anally-retentive when it came to gun safety and maintenance. He also fired a snub nosed charter arms .38 special revolver at the range when we were there, which I found to be extremely intimidating and frightening and was scared to attempt to fire. He told me that the .38 was too much gun for a kid my age to fire. Nevertheless, he insisted that I drill on loading and unloading his .38 (using spent casings) Another uncle had a 12 gauge pump -- like in the case of the .38, I was told that I would have to "graduate" to the 12 gauge, but was still made to drill on loading and unloading the shotgun (this time with dummy "snap-cap" rounds)

My only point is, at no time when I was learning about firearms would my uncles have handed me a weapon that I was not old enough or strong enough to handle. That kid that shot himself in the head at the range was obviously not instructed properly and was way too young to handle a dangerous weapon like an Uzi. It borders on being criminally negligent to hand a weapon of this type to a kid who cannot handle it, and it is the responsibility of the adults present to make this call.

So, I say that there are always going to be stupid people out there - it is just a shame that we cannot keep the guns out of their hands!

Publius
04-Nov-2008, 07:45 PM
I was taught on a tube fed semi-auto .22 rimfire winchester under the watchful eye of an uncle who was severely obsessive and anally-retentive when it came to gun safety and maintenance.

My own first gun was very similar. A second-hand Marlin 60 from a L.A. pawnshop. :p

acealive1
04-Nov-2008, 07:59 PM
My own first gun was very similar. A second-hand Marlin 60 from a L.A. pawnshop. :p

:lol::lol::lol:

strayrider
04-Nov-2008, 11:37 PM
It's always the law-abiding, unarmed citizens that get killed.

Always? Or is just that the anti-gun, Marxist media only report these types of stories ... rarely do we hear of the numerous accounts of law-abiding citizens shooting criminals (and doing society a favor, I might add).

You also mentioned something about using AKs to protect ourselves against nut jobs. True, military style weapons can be employed in this manner, however, their primary function is to protect against tyranny in government. Self-defense, hunting, and target shooting are just added benefits.

:D

-stray-

acealive1
04-Nov-2008, 11:42 PM
Always? Or is just that the anti-gun, Marxist media only report these types of stories ... rarely do we hear of the numerous accounts of law-abiding citizens shooting criminals (and doing society a favor, I might add).

there was a story about 3 years ago a block from me where some guy broke into a house......and the guy was home. he shot him with a double barrel and the guy ran down my street bleeding to death trying to dump all his "illegal substances and accompanying items" before the cops got him.

strayrider
04-Nov-2008, 11:46 PM
there was a story about 3 years ago a block from me where some guy broke into a house......and the guy was home. he shot him with a double barrel and the guy ran down my street bleeding to death trying to dump all his "illegal substances and accompanying items" before the cops got him.

Right, you'll get stories like this locally. Rarely at the National level.

-stray-