PDA

View Full Version : Character names from "Island of the Dead" first impressions...

Thorn
03-Nov-2008, 04:30 PM
'Nicotine' Crocket
http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2005_Confessions_of_an_American_Bride/Thumb/005CAB_Alan_Van_Sprang_005.jpg

Chuck
http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Articles/20080819/Joris_Jarsky.jpg

Tom Boy
http://images.tvrage.net/people/56/166862.jpg

Janet / Jane O'Flynn
http://images.filmmagic.com/images/tnm/55275208.jpg

Lem Muldoon (only pic I could find of the actor playing him)
http://pub32.bravenet.com/photocenter/remote/2724789253/047AF70F80.jpg

and last but not least....
Construction Worker Zombie!

He was too shy to pose for a pic apparently...

MoonSylver
04-Nov-2008, 01:07 AM
Source, my good man?!?! :D

"'Nicotine' Crocket" eh? Seems to confirm same actor, not same character(s)? ('Course as "Guardsman" he HAD no name. And I suppose Bruebaker COULD be a FIRST name?) My guess is he's a smoker...:cool:

clanglee
04-Nov-2008, 01:33 AM
Source, my good man?!?! :D

"'Nicotine' Crocket" eh? Seems to confirm same actor, not same character(s)? ('Course as "Guardsman" he HAD no name. And I suppose Bruebaker COULD be a FIRST name?) My guess is he's a smoker...:cool:

Where is "Low Tar" Tubbs?

and that info is on IMDB.com Moon.

MoonSylver
04-Nov-2008, 04:44 AM
and that info is on IMDB.com Moon.

Ah...er...ohh...hopefully it's RIGHT then!:rolleyes: :lol:

Thorn
04-Nov-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah IMDB has a cast list up, IMDB really is a good site for information on casts, years, and items of that nature. Their ratings system is terrible, and their message board trolls are ravenous but really it is a great site for a lot of other things in my opinion.

I prefer mooviepoopshoot.com

(Oh and Clan I dig the Miami vice reference ;) )

Source:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134854/

Cody
04-Nov-2008, 03:37 PM
wow wow, there must be 2 Island of the dead movies, one was about illers flys. Did not know about the zombie one

Minerva_Zombi
06-Nov-2008, 07:13 AM
What happened to good ol' Peter, Roger, Ben, Barbara, Harry, ect? Since Day we've gotten Frankenstein, Pillsbury, Cholo, Motown, and now Nicotine? lol. Romero's been smoking something since 85 I think. lol

SymphonicX
06-Nov-2008, 09:32 AM
some pretty stupid ****ing names there...

Thorn
06-Nov-2008, 12:18 PM
I am not sure what it is with the names either, he seems to want to give a lot of people comic book/WWE names. I am not a big fan of it personally, as it seems forced and overdone. Flyboy being called Flyboy because that is what the characters called him... due to to the fact he was a pilot made sense.

One character is understandable, but 2-5 per movie you start to work against my immersion rather than add to it.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Nov-2008, 01:02 PM
Is he purposely trying to ruin his legacy. Those are the dumbest ****ing names I have ever read for people cast as characters into a film. Seriously, WTF is he thinking?

And the Guy you have listed as Trooper Zombie I think is incorrect. Stunt man Matt Birman played The Trooper cop on fire in Diary of the Dead.

bassman
06-Nov-2008, 01:34 PM
Is he purposely trying to ruin his legacy. Those are the dumbest ****ing names I have ever read for people cast as characters into a film. Seriously, WTF is he thinking?

The only one that's strange to me is 'Nicotine' Crocket. And obviously that's a nickname. I don't see any problems with the names...

Thorn
06-Nov-2008, 02:11 PM

And the Guy you have listed as Trooper Zombie I think is incorrect. Stunt man Matt Birman played The Trooper cop on fire in Diary of the Dead.

Yeah thats what I have to, according to the source he is in this one as well as "Lem Muldoon" however it is of course subject to error as it is very early in the process.

1 Island of the Dead (2009) (filming) .... Lem Muldoon
2 A Perfect Getaway (2009) (post-production) .... Trekker
3 The Time Traveler's Wife (2008) (post-production) .... Cop #2

4 "M.V.P." .... Detective Todd (1 episode, 2008)
... aka MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives (Canada: English title: complete title)
- Mad Scramble (2008) TV episode (as Matthew Birman) .... Detective Todd
6 American Pie Presents Beta House (2007) (V) .... Cop
7 Diary of the Dead (2007) .... Zombie Trooper

The other one is "Tomboy" that I think did it for me, especially since she is clearly all woman ;)

That and the names seem generic in a way, like stereotypical Irish names. "Lem Muldoon" and "Jane O'Flynn" could be characters right out of a B&W cop NY City show.

The scene opens with Lem Muldoon walking his beat, it wasn't the easiest job on the force but it beat pushing pencils behind a desk. Then, before he knew it he was passing the bar. O'Flynn's. He had stopped there every night on the beat, not for the beer, but because of her. She was the daughter of the owner and quite the looker. Jane O'Flynn. What a dame. Red hair the color of fire and a temper to match.

:rolleyes:

AcesandEights
06-Nov-2008, 02:12 PM
While I do think weak or cheesy character names like 'Nicotine' Crocket, might be a bad sign, I have to say it's all contextual. There really are people out there with utterly wretched nicknames, so I'm not too worried.

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2008, 05:55 PM
Seriously, why are people bitching about the names, are they high?

What's wrong with "Nicotine" - clearly the character is a chain-smoker, and "Cancer Man" and "Cigarette Smoking Man" were taken over a decade ago, so I'm totally cool with that.

Chuck - normal name.

Tom Boy - there was a "Pretty Boy" in Land, obviously a nickname, not ludicrous either - plus, the actress is hot. :D

Janet/Jane - again, normal name, sheesh ... also, she too is hot. :D

Lem Muldoon - pretty normal name again there.

It's not like GAR's naming his characters "Apple", and "Paris", and "Brooklyn" fer feck sake! :eek:

sandrock74
06-Nov-2008, 07:54 PM
These aren't comic book names...their name would have to end in "Man". Like....say....Gun-Man!
While I am not a big fan of the character names (if these aren't fake names?), I will hold off on any judgement until I see the finished product.

dracenstein
06-Nov-2008, 09:32 PM
I suspect 'Nicotine' Crockett will be shortened to 'Nico', not too outlandish, could even be Italian...

Thorn
07-Nov-2008, 01:57 PM
Seriously, why are people bitching about the names, are they high?

What's wrong with "Nicotine" - clearly the character is a chain-smoker, and "Cancer Man" and "Cigarette Smoking Man" were taken over a decade ago, so I'm totally cool with that.

Chuck - normal name.

Tom Boy - there was a "Pretty Boy" in Land, obviously a nickname, not ludicrous either - plus, the actress is hot. :D

Janet/Jane - again, normal name, sheesh ... also, she too is hot. :D

Lem Muldoon - pretty normal name again there.

It's not like GAR's naming his characters "Apple", and "Paris", and "Brooklyn" fer feck sake! :eek:

Because ti is fun... ;)

I agree about the hot factor though, but since she IS so hot I do not see her as a Tom Boy. Unless it is one of those cases where you call a fat guy slim and a guy with red hair Blue.

Again she is all woman from where I am standing.

http://gfx.filmweb.pl/blog/847368/342918.1.jpg http://www.the-n.com/ntv/shows/image/tby/tby_athena_220x130.jpg http://www.cinemotions.net/data/artistes/04/0445/888/1/h200/athena_karkanis_1.jpg

If she is a tom boy than Steele form Day is the 6th member of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

Skippy911sc
07-Nov-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah IMDB has a cast list up, IMDB really is a good site for information on casts, years, and items of that nature. Their ratings system is terrible, and their message board trolls are ravenous but really it is a great site for a lot of other things in my opinion.

I prefer mooviepoopshoot.com

(Oh and Clan I dig the Miami vice reference ;) )

Source:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1134854/

Someone has been watching Jay and Silent Bob. He said Poop :)

DawnGirl27
08-Nov-2008, 01:22 PM
The scene opens with Lem Muldoon walking his beat, it wasn't the easiest job on the force but it beat pushing pencils behind a desk. Then, before he knew it he was passing the bar. O'Flynn's. He had stopped there every night on the beat, not for the beer, but because of her. She was the daughter of the owner and quite the looker. Jane O'Flynn. What a dame. Red hair the color of fire and a temper to match.

:lol: You, my good man, have a hidden talent! :D

SymphonicX
09-Nov-2008, 11:14 AM
Baited ****ing breath.

Romero has more to live up to than anything.

"Pretty boy"....stupid ****ing name for a character...and "nicotine crockett"...gimmie a break....almost as bad as Motown...("you can call me motown" worst line in land?)

Silly silly silly. Do we need mad maxian nicknames?

Thorn
12-Nov-2008, 12:54 PM
Someone has been watching Jay and Silent Bob. He said Poop :)

I always loved that, the URL is taken by the way. First thing I did was try to see if it was available so I could start a website.

:lol: You, my good man, have a hidden talent! :D

/bow
Why thank you m'lady. I always wanted to write pulp fiction stories ;)

Baited ****ing breath.

Romero has more to live up to than anything.

"Pretty boy"....stupid ****ing name for a character...and "nicotine crockett"...gimmie a break....almost as bad as Motown...("you can call me motown" worst line in land?)

Silly silly silly. Do we need mad maxian nicknames?

How about Pillsbury? Yeah plenty of ridiculous nicknames in Land.

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2008, 05:37 PM
Pillsbury rocked! :cool:

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsA/58016-26600.gif

I wouldn't f*ck with that guy.

Also, I'm sure some of you folks have some pretty daft nicknames that you and your mates came up with. :rockbrow:

Thorn
17-Nov-2008, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't get between him and a buffet line that's for sure.

AcesandEights
18-Nov-2008, 12:54 AM

Well, if he didn't have a gun, I'd love to poke him with a long stick and run away.

clanglee
18-Nov-2008, 01:08 AM

Also, I'm sure some of you folks have some pretty daft nicknames that you and your mates came up with. :rockbrow:

Please tell me how this guy could get away from zombies. . . He would take like 15 steps and become winded. I HATE that character!!!!!!!!:mad: Any person THAT big in a world where food is regulated comodity needs to be put on a state (or Kaufman) required diet. Stupid stupid Pillbury!!!

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2008, 09:53 AM
But on the other hand, it's food across an entire city, feeding a collection of people that's far fewer than the population of an average city, so technically there's plenty to go around.

Also, look at rugby players - great big huge blokes over 20 stone each, and those guys move like sh*t off a shovel, people can be thin but out of shape big style, and likewise people can be great big buggers, but very much in shape.

Don't be player hatin' books by their cover, yo. :D

AcesandEights
18-Nov-2008, 02:50 PM
Any person THAT big in a world where food is regulated comodity needs to be put on a state (or Kaufman) required diet. Stupid stupid Pillbury!!!

Remember Jurassic Park...nature will find a way? Well, some people will always just find a way to be fat.

clanglee
19-Nov-2008, 10:17 AM
But on the other hand, it's food across an entire city, feeding a collection of people that's far fewer than the population of an average city, so technically there's plenty to go around.

Also, look at rugby players - great big huge blokes over 20 stone each, and those guys move like sh*t off a shovel, people can be thin but out of shape big style, and likewise people can be great big buggers, but very much in shape.

Don't be player hatin' books by their cover, yo. :D

Dude, nothing about that guy is in shape!! Unless the shape you mean is round. I see your point aboutthe availability of food, but my point is that he would be looked upon with distrust and even hate, because he Obviously gets more than his fair share. Pilsbury could hardly deliver his lines without taking big fatboy breaths between each sentence. :annoyed::mad:

Fat useless F#ck!ng character!!!

Now having said that, let me point out that I am on the tubby side myself. So I know what I am talking about. But I can garangoddamntee ya that if I had survived a zombie armaggedon for three years, I would have slimmed down to below a 40 waist. ;)

Trin
21-Nov-2008, 06:07 PM
So are we saying that Pillsbury was the dude's nickname? I must be in denial cause I thought his name was just Pillsbury. I figure he survived because the zombies prefer leaner meat.

I hate the Mad Maxian names as well. Hate them, hate them, hate them.

Motown and Manolette and Pillsbury were not the worst for me. They were just throw-away characters anyhow. I hated Slack. The woman who aspired to be on the military but was forced to become a streetwalked identifies herself with a gangish nickname? Come on.

At least he stayed normal with Riley & Charlie. We could've had, "Call me Meltdown. Just look at my face, you can see I should be called Meltdown."

clanglee
24-Nov-2008, 09:56 AM
At least he stayed normal with Riley & Charlie. We could've had, "Call me Meltdown. Just look at my face, you can see I should be called Meltdown."

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh my. .they missed the boat on that one.

Manolette "

Forgot about him. Stupid ****ing bullfighter with his little cap!!!! I take back what I said earlier. Compared to Manolete, Pilsbury was genius!! I just have a very, very, . . . .very strong dislike for Pilsbury. But that Manolette motherf#cker!!! :mad::annoyed::mad: Him, I hate!!

Thorn
25-Nov-2008, 04:06 PM

I ROTFLMAO at this.

Deaths_Shadow
13-Dec-2008, 07:32 AM
Dude, nothing about that guy is in shape!! Unless the shape you mean is round. I see your point aboutthe availability of food, but my point is that he would be looked upon with distrust and even hate, because he Obviously gets more than his fair share. Pilsbury could hardly deliver his lines without taking big fatboy breaths between each sentence. :annoyed::mad:

Fat useless F#ck!ng character!!!

Now having said that, let me point out that I am on the tubby side myself. So I know what I am talking about. But I can garangoddamntee ya that if I had survived a zombie armaggedon for three years, I would have slimmed down to below a 40 waist. ;)

So he should of looked like this?
http://static-p3.fotolia.com/jpg/00/01/18/22/400_F_1182263_dvJbGvaF2YMWoydI5cmvaFYC01XqVf.jpg
His character was fine. Your making a big deal out of nothing. And your also saying only thin people would have survived? Hmmmm. Maybe Gary Howard Klar was to fat to who played Prvt Steel in Day.
http://deco-00.slide.com/r/1/25/dl/QVaRJ8js4T9PkrZgNjpdPry7hRf3E97q/watermark
Of course maybe he was to FAT and OLD for you. Characters like these to me were the only thing going for "Land" and as far as this next project, well i will watch it but it will have to be a rental.

Thorn
15-Dec-2008, 03:28 PM
Actually I think that you are kind of missing his point.

Pillsbury was beyond obese he was huge, and that film takes places years after Day does. Steele was fat, he has a beer gut. This takes place not too far after the fall of man, and while they are in an institution with plenty of food available to them from the military and still lots of foraging to be done if one is so inclined. There was also plenty of alcohol to help perpetuate a beer gut.

Now Pillsbury did not have a beer gut he was so over weight as to be a severe health risk to himself. (and other if he sat on them)

In a time when alcohol, and food are at a premium and so many people are going without basic needs a man of that size with so much MORE than his share would not be received well by a large number of the people around him.

While yes it is a movie, it is like sticking Hurly from lost in a concentration camp in a Nazi film. You would go "Huh?" and if the script was to be believable the other prisoners would have to assume he was getting food from somewhere and thus they would not trust him.

I have to agree with clanglee on this one.... also the glam "twink" picture you posted made me feel kind of sick :barf: so I am going to disagree out of principle.

:D

clanglee
15-Dec-2008, 11:14 PM
Thank you Thorn. . .I thought I was making sense. . . I guess not to everyone.:p

I had no problem with the variety of characters Land had, I just had a major issue with a morbidly obese man staying that way in that particular situation. AND THEY LET HIM IN THE ARMY?!?!??! And send him out for important missions where there could be running and whatnot involved? Come On!! I know that there are fat folk that are actually more in shape than you would think. Look at Jack Black, John Belushi, and Chris Farley for example. . they are/were tubby and full of energy (sure the cocaine helps). But each of these guys. . who are/were nowhere near as fat as Pilsbury. . . would loose weight during a zombie crisis because of the extra work and lack of food. Due to his size. . I can only assume that Pilsbury only sat around and ate. He is obviously eating way more than his fair share of the food, and he leads a very sedintary lifestyle. Both of which should be high crimes in a world where everyone musrt depend on each other to survive.

jscott
16-Dec-2008, 09:17 AM
Maybe they had thyroid problems, you insensitive priks!

:D

clanglee
18-Dec-2008, 01:54 AM
Voted least likely to be able to survive a zombie outbreak.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_tQ74IfNZmZQ/SAJcxvA4EII/AAAAAAAAF0U/1Eo7nSHh7BA/s400/obese+ladies.jpg

clanglee
19-Dec-2008, 06:09 AM
And Come on!!

http://deco-00.slide.com/r/1/25/dl/QVaRJ8js4T9PkrZgNjpdPry7hRf3E97q/watermark

Neither of these guys were morbidly obese. Pilsbury looks like he ate Rickles!!

In Samoa, 50,000 slightly overweight american soldiers eaten every day.

Trin
23-Dec-2008, 02:50 PM
There is a perspective where Pillsbury works. He's one of Kaufman's elite. He's not standing on a wall or going on raids like a common military person. He sits inside the protected area with all the food he wants and his only job is to point a gun at anyone who tries to take away his meal ticket. A guy could get fat doing that. It was proven that those in Kaufman's inner circle could care less if some poor shmuck in the streets is living on crumbs. It was also proven that those on the outside couldn't do anything about it even if they didn't approve.

For Kaufman's reign to exist Pillsbury (or quite a few someone's like Pillsbury) HAS to exist. Kaufman couldn't stay in power without some guys with guns hanging around. And those guys would have to be living the high life to put up with Kaufman's unscrupulous treatment of the masses. It sure wasn't Riley, Cholo, or Brubaker keeping the gun trained on Kaufman's enemies. They were portrayed as part of the downtrodden. They weren't even allowed to carry guns near Kaufman.

Remember, too, that Kaufman's security guards were none too thin. They, like Pillsbury, were kept in all the food and luxuries to assure their loyalty.

To me Pillsbury was still ridiculous. But it's because they tried to make him cute and lovable instead of the unscrupulous and lazy bastard he'd need to be to fill the role.

AcesandEights
23-Dec-2008, 03:57 PM
Wow, Trin. Very, very good points, all around.

clanglee
23-Dec-2008, 10:20 PM
Good points, but your last statement ruins the argument Trin. Pilsbury was VERY quick to turn against Kaufman. His personality did not exactly show that he was an establishment kinda guy. And besides the fact, why would the pleasant but morbidly obese fellow be chosen to go on an important mission out into zombie infested territory? I just plain didn't buy his character.:rolleyes:

DawnGirl27
23-Dec-2008, 11:18 PM
And besides the fact, why would the pleasant but morbidly obese fellow be chosen to go on an important mission out into zombie infested territory? I just plain didn't buy his character.:rolleyes:

Perhaps for the intimidation factor (to keep the trio in line)? Kaufman must not have known Riley too well, though, because that didn't faze him a bit, or for that matter, Slack. Charlie, a bit, but not too much so he couldn't function, and with Riley around, he did fine.
That's the only reason I could come up with - the old saying, 'I'd hate to meet him in a blind alley' kind of thing....

Trin
24-Dec-2008, 03:16 PM
Good points, but your last statement ruins the argument Trin. Pilsbury was VERY quick to turn against Kaufman. His personality did not exactly show that he was an establishment kinda guy. And besides the fact, why would the pleasant but morbidly obese fellow be chosen to go on an important mission out into zombie infested territory? I just plain didn't buy his character.:rolleyes:
I don't think the last statement ruins the argument. I think it merely changes the crux of the argument. I didn't like Pillsbury either, but his implausibility to me does not rest with him being big and fat. I disliked him because he was portrayed as someone who should've been one of the good guys all along. As opposed to Motown (urrgggh - I hate to even recognize that character's name) who seemed like the exact kind of twerp who would support Kaufman.

As to his disloyalty, it may be that there was erosion in the Kaufman ranks for some time. We saw (in the director's cut) someone in the Green commit suicide. We saw the board members questioning Kaufman's decisions. Cholo rebelled. This wasn't a happly little enclave. Maybe Pillsbury just recognized that with guns pointed at the Green and Riley offering another option (something he'd probably never had before) the time was right to switch sides.

I also agree with DawnGirl in that Pillsbury did bring some intimidation. You saw it in the camera angle they used when he first walks in. They made him look even bigger than he already was. And I cannot believe that man was all fat. Those big guys like that are built on a frame of muscle.

clanglee
26-Dec-2008, 09:00 PM
That's a lot of maybes Trin, which I'm sure we can both agree do not. . a good plot or story. . .make. As for muscle and intimidation, no doubt. He could kick my ass in a heartbeat. . . if he could catch me. In that event however, he would likely keel over in cardiac arrest after 20 feet of exertion.:D

Trin
29-Dec-2008, 09:14 PM
That's a lot of maybes Trin, which I'm sure we can both agree do not. . a good plot or story. . .make. As for muscle and intimidation, no doubt. He could kick my ass in a heartbeat. . . if he could catch me. In that event however, he would likely keel over in cardiac arrest after 20 feet of exertion.:DIt was 2 maybes. And they were wonderfully well supported ones. :)

I want to upgrade one of them to a "definitely." There was definitely erosion in Kaufman's ranks. If you asked me to choose - were Kaufman's minions absolutely happy/loyal - or - were they open to a change if another option were available. Based on the events I'd choose the latter. So the only maybe is whether Pillsbury was looking for that change.

I will grant you that my logic is bordering on becoming a defendment. And I am ashamed to be a party to it. But I think my reasons bear up to pretty hard scrutiny.

I think Pillsbury was bad storytelling in any case because either of our arguments have holes that ruin his character.