PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new hobby....

Terran
08-May-2006, 01:02 AM
Hey For almost a year Ive been getting into breeding guppies...

my goal was to produce my own strain in hopes of selling some off to local pet stores and maybe taking some to a contest....

So I was doing some crosses trying to isolate a certain characteristic..
then this happened!!...

I got this mutation...
http://myspace-715.vo.llnwd.net/00714/51/78/714578715_l.jpg
(it person the mutation kindof looks like two additional fins however are much more bulbus)

Some people on a guppy forum think that perhaps the fish was a siamese twin and its twin got reabsorbed...so the fish has a parasitic twin....

Now I kindof want to propigate this mutation and see if I can play with its relative location, color, size, and general appearance....This mutation is probally due to inbreeding and the offspring of this guppy may have reduced vitality...so I may have trouble propigating this mutation....

On a side note....I found out about these relatively rare, awsomely cool, pet store gems....Red Cherry Shrimp....

The red cherry shrimp is a red color variation of the dwarf shrimp Neocaridina denticulata sinensis, which hails from southern China, Taiwan and northern Vietnam and which has even been widely introduced into Hawaii. The red variety of the shrimp was originally bred in Taiwan. The red color variation of N. denticulata sinensis does not occur in the wild.

The red coloration of this shrimp depends on several factors such as mood, water conditions and food. Hence, when these shrimp first arrive in new aquaria after shipping, they have very little red on their bodies and most animals are extremely pale. The red coloration returns with time and when the shrimp finally settle in, they maintain their red coloration at all times. Young animals also need quite some time to become fully colored out. Females who are carrying eggs are especially deep red, whereas males tend to be much paler than females (see picture of male above). However, females start carrying eggs before they are fully colored up (see picture above).

These animals also display a wide range of temperature tolerance. My shrimp were kept at temperatures between 50°F and 86°F and were eating even at the 50°F mark. Others report that they have kept these shrimp in garden ponds in frost free environments where the Red Cherries were able to withstand temperatures in the 30s°F. Breeding, however, seems to only take place at temperatures of 68°F and above.
http://www.petshrimp.com/images/redcherryshrimp.jpg
They grow to range 2.5-3.5cm

They hardly exist in this area in pet stores...and so I ordered some from a breeder who lives in new york.....

My plan was to breed bunches of these to sell to pet stores as well because they are so hard to find.....

I got a little worried because all of the Cherry shrimp I would get from this guy would be brothers and sisters so all the shrimp I would breed would become horribly inbred (and the strain is already inbred hence the propigation of the red characteristic they dont look like that in nature)

Then while looking for Java Moss (great plant for breeding tanks since they suck up toxins and nitrates and grow prolifically)(went to five pet stores spent all day) I found some Red Cherry Shrimp in a pet store!! .... they were less than a cm long and cost $4.75!! real expensive for a little shrimp....

So I bought four so I could mix them in with the ones I ordered from the guy from new york.....

Heres the little guys...(best picture I could get cause there so little)
http://myspace-659.vo.llnwd.net/00714/95/64/714684659_l.jpg

So Now I should be able to start breeding these glorious little suckers....

Danny
08-May-2006, 01:12 AM
...and slowly breed them into crab people....

Terran
08-May-2006, 03:52 AM
...and slowly breed them into crab people....

Well thats the plan...:mad:

DeadJonas190
09-May-2006, 06:33 AM
I used to have a 75 gallon aquarium when I was a teenager and kept around 30 fish in it. I had some ghost shrimp in it that lasted 3 days. My other fish ate them, after the guy at the fish store, whom had helped me set up my tank, assured me the other fish would leave them alone. $15 later, my awesome ghost shrimp were gone and my Bala Sharks were looking fatter than ever.

On the same note, I ended up with 3 albino Catfish that grew to 7 inches each before dying for no apparent reason. Those were pretty cool looking fish, and I have not found them very often since.