PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Keys for vacation, need advice!

MikePizzoff
06-Nov-2008, 05:51 AM
My girlfriend, three buddies, and I are going on a 2-week vacation to the Florida Keys in January. We've been frantically trying to book reservations at campgrounds but have had zero luck.

The main place we really wanted to go (Bahia Honda) advised us to book 11 months in advance. :mad: A couple other decent looking places don't allow reservations. And, finally, the rest of the campgrounds we can find look like complete yuppie/tourist traps and aren't really camping at all seeing as they have heated swimming pools, jacuzzis, bars, restaurants, etc.

My real question is: Have any of you "illegally" (the way it should be) camped out in the Keys, and if so, could you tell me which Key would be best to do so? Or, perhaps you know of a real low-key primitive campground that most likely won't be completely booked up?

Cody
07-Nov-2008, 03:25 AM
I love going to the keys, MAKE SURE you hit up Duval ST. Its got crazy night life / best bars in key west. Hogs Breath Saloon is one of the best bars. Alot of gays in the keys if you didn't know either. Havent done any camping in the keys, alot of scuba diving though, alot of "treasure" out in the keys, mostly like 400 year old gold coins.

MikePizzoff
07-Nov-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, we plan on spending about 2 days/nights in Key West just because not only do we hear it's a party town, but our goal for the road trip was to reach the Southernmost point in the U.S.