View Full Version : an 8 year old murders his father and...

Mike70
08-Nov-2008, 04:18 PM
another man with a .22 rifle. this is a sad friggin story that will probably get sadder. what could drive an 8 year old to kill his father unless there is something very dark and very disturbing going on at home.

the police might have a problem though if this bit of the article is true:

His defence lawyer, Benjamin Brewer, said police had overreached in questioning him without representation from a parent or a lawyer, and that they had not advised him of his rights.

anyway here is the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7717545.stm

axlish
08-Nov-2008, 04:27 PM
Very sad. Gun ownership should be granted only after proof of a proper locker or cabinet.

strayrider
08-Nov-2008, 04:40 PM
Very sad. Gun ownership should be granted only after proof of a proper locker or cabinet.

Gun ownership is not granted. It is a right.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449044,00.html

Vincent Romero?

hmmm ...

-stray-

slickwilly13
08-Nov-2008, 04:53 PM
Maybe he was playing around thinking it was a toy.

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2008, 05:32 PM
Horribly tragic, but the story seemed very bare bones, no indication of a possible motive other than eight year old was crazy/didn't understand what he was doing.

The boy, who prosecutors say had never been in trouble before, initially denied involvement in the shooting but later confessed, Melnick said.

Police have not said what they think the boy's motive was.

Defense attorney Benjamin Brewer argued Friday that police overreached in questioning the boy without representation from a parent or attorney and did not advise him of his rights.

"They became very accusing early on in the interview," Brewer said. "Two officers with guns at their side, it's very scary for anybody, for sure an 8-year-old kid."

Interesting.

Minerva_Zombi
08-Nov-2008, 07:29 PM
yeah im with axlish on this. we need better gun laws.

Tricky
08-Nov-2008, 07:30 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449044,00.html

Vincent Romero?

hmmm ...

-stray-

regardless,a proper cabinet should still be law!it is over here...

Bub666
08-Nov-2008, 10:17 PM
Thats very sad.Parents need to make sure they lock their guns up better.

DawnGirl27
09-Nov-2008, 01:49 AM
Thats very sad.Parents need to make sure they lock their guns up better.

AND keep their ammo separate from the guns. So many of these tragedies are avoidable with just some simple precautions. :(

acealive1
09-Nov-2008, 02:07 AM
sounds liek a movie called "michael" that kid was nuts

strayrider
09-Nov-2008, 07:53 AM
regardless,a proper cabinet should still be law!it is over here...

No "proper cabinet" unless you freely choose to have one (which I do, by the way ... my choice). Your laws in England have nothing to do with us.

AND keep their ammo separate from the guns. So many of these tragedies are avoidable with just some simple precautions. :(

Sure, keep the gun and ammo separate until the kid reaches an age that he/she can be taught proper firearms safety. 8 is old enough. Heck, 5 is old enough with proper parenting.

There is something more to this story than meets the eye, I suspect.

-stray-

SymphonicX
09-Nov-2008, 09:19 AM
Oh god...another senseless death....and no one sees a problem with guns...

axlish
09-Nov-2008, 11:15 AM

Oh, ok. Go buy a handgun, you'll have it tomorrow, right?

Mike70
09-Nov-2008, 04:20 PM
cease and desist with the gun control sh*t in this thread- period. i didn't post this story for this thread to turn into another pointless round of gun control arguements. i will ask that any further posts on that topic be deleted from this thread. if you want to argue about gun control go start your own thread. i would think that whatever reason(s) led an 8 year old to murder their own father would be a little more interesting than comments like "we need better gun laws."

now back to the matter at hand. here is a new article with more info in it. turns out the kid had been taught how to shoot the .22 by his dad. there is also a bit from the police chief that includes this interesting bit:

"I'm not accusing anybody of anything at this point," he said Saturday. "But we're certainly going to look at the abuse part of this. He's 8 years old. He just doesn't decide one day that he's going to shoot his father and shoot his father's friend for no reason. Something led up to this."

then there is this which i think is absolute and total bullshiv.

In a sign of the emotional and legal complexities of the case, police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult even as they investigate possible abuse, Melnick said. If convicted as a minor, the boy could be sent to juvenile detention until he turns 18.

if you want an example of idiocy in this country go no farther. how in the hell could you even think about trying an 8 year old as an adult. if the kid was 16 or 17, yeah i could see that but an 8 year old??? no fu8king way. children ought to be treated as kids, especially when their ages are measured in single digits.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/08/child.charged.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

EvilNed
09-Nov-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree that kids should be treated as kids. But I do not think guns and kids do mix. Don't take that as a gun control statement. Just take it as a... Guns and kids do not mix statement.

Tricky
09-Nov-2008, 08:53 PM
No "proper cabinet" unless you freely choose to have one (which I do, by the way ... my choice). Your laws in England have nothing to do with us.

I never said they did,but a proper firearms cabinet is still common sense non?
why shouldnt a locked gun cabinet be law anyway?you could still have the guns as your "right",but the law would say you lock them up,whats the problem with that?or would folks who take their carbine to bed with them have a cry about it?
Im not anti-gun by a long shot,but i do believe in responsibility & leaving guns out for kids to get hold of is just plain f*cking stupidity