PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Peter along

Philly_SWAT
12-Nov-2008, 09:06 PM
I am a little bored today, so I thought I would post another topic.

We see throughout the progression of the film that Roger and Peter become great friends. Peter is really broken up when Roger gets bit, and later on when he has to shoot him when he comes back. But I wonder if anyone else has ever thought of something that I have thought of...why did Roger invite Peter in the first place? As we see in the Building 107 scene, Roger and Peter did not even know each other. Perhaps they had vaguely heard of each other "you was in Wooley's unit, wasnt ya" or perhaps that was the first time they had ever seen each other, as Roger attacked Wooley. They definately didnt even know each others names.

Roger had just seen some serious stuff. Wooley going ape****, killing civilians, Peter (or in Rogers mind, that big dude) killing Wooley, and the other young guy killing himself, all within the last 20 minutes. Down in the cellar, Roger seemed a totally less confident guy then he did just a little while earlier on the rooftop, mimicing his bosses words on the megaphone. The only thing he really knew about Peter was that he would kill a living being if he had too.

Is that the kind of guy you really want to be around you when tensions are high? For sure Peter proved to be a valuable friend and cohort later on, but at that moment, why invite a perfect stranger to go with you? Especially one that it is reasonable at the time to surmise that he may kill you later on? And isnt it VERY presumptious to bring along someone who your other friend doesnt know who is basically stealing a companies helicopter? "Who's he?" "His name's Peter, he's all right". All right? He just killed another man in cold blood an hour ago, but I think he should come with us!

Again, obivously Peters character proved to be a valuable asset once they decide to stay at the mall (although staying was his idea, which led to both Flyboy and Roger's death, they may have dies anyway somewhere else, but they did die in the mall) I have always thought it was pretty ballsy to out of the blue bring someone without consulting Flyboy, and interesting to bring someone you just met, especially one you just saw kill someone.

Publius
12-Nov-2008, 09:58 PM
Roger had just seen some serious stuff. Wooley going ape****, killing civilians, Peter (or in Rogers mind, that big dude) killing Wooley, and the other young guy killing himself, all within the last 20 minutes. Down in the cellar, Roger seemed a totally less confident guy then he did just a little while earlier on the rooftop, mimicing his bosses words on the megaphone. The only thing he really knew about Peter was that he would kill a living being if he had too.

Doesn't seem too weird to me. Maybe Roger thinks he is a good judge of character. I guess you could say that Peter killed Woolley "in cold blood," but it was justifiable, the right decision. If Roger saw that action for what it was, he could conclude that Peter is capable of coolly making difficult but correct decisions quickly under extreme pressure, pressure that's causing other normally-professional law enforcement officers to crack. Not too big a leap to conclude that that's the kind of person you want to hitch your star to.

MoonSylver
12-Nov-2008, 10:40 PM
I think it's a bonding thing...Roger perceives Peter as having saved his a$$ with Wooley, so perhaps it a bit of feeling indebted as well. Then the extermination of the zombies in the basement further reinforces it. When Peter is fumbling to reload & Roger steps in, he gives him a little nudge like "Hey, I got you covered."

I think in that whole basement scene they get a real feel for who each other are.

But you bring up some great points.

sandrock74
12-Nov-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree with Publius. I also think that Roger (and maybe Steven) was hoping to secure another "gun slinger" for their group. At first, Peter was the hired gun/muscle of the group, but, eventually, he grew into the leadership role.

He ended up not being a bad pick up!

Mutineer
12-Nov-2008, 11:07 PM
Their both Cops.

Period. What happens in the field is relevant and seperated from the real life of being a civvy.

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2008, 01:11 AM
Doesn't seem too weird to me. Maybe Roger thinks he is a good judge of character. I guess you could say that Peter killed Woolley "in cold blood," but it was justifiable, the right decision. If Roger saw that action for what it was, he could conclude that Peter is capable of coolly making difficult but correct decisions quickly under extreme pressure, pressure that's causing other normally-professional law enforcement officers to crack. Not too big a leap to conclude that that's the kind of person you want to hitch your star to.

Good idea about Roger thinking he is a good judge of character. I agree that it was the right decision to stop Wooley, but no effort was made to subdue him other than killing him. Peter, or any other number of cops could have helped Roger while he was hanging on Wooley's back. And I would have, at least in the back of my mind, considered that at some point Peter might decide it would be justifiable to kill me.

I think it's a bonding thing...Roger perceives Peter as having saved his a$$ with Wooley, so perhaps it a bit of feeling indebted as well. Then the extermination of the zombies in the basement further reinforces it. When Peter is fumbling to reload & Roger steps in, he gives him a little nudge like "Hey, I got you covered."

I think in that whole basement scene they get a real feel for who each other are.

But you bring up some great points.

That is a cool scene when he gives him that little nudge in the basement. However, the shooting scene in the basement happens after Roger already told Peter about the helicopter, and presumably asked him to come with him.

I agree with Publius. I also think that Roger (and maybe Steven) was hoping to secure another "gun slinger" for their group. At first, Peter was the hired gun/muscle of the group, but, eventually, he grew into the leadership role.

He ended up not being a bad pick up!

I am sure that Roger did want another gun, but seems odd he wouldnt have an actual friend on the force instead of asking a dude he didnt know.

Their both Cops.

Period. What happens in the field is relevant and seperated from the real life of being a civvy.
Both true statements, then again, wouldnt the same hold true for an actual friend Roger had on the force? He seemed like a friendly guy.

Publius
13-Nov-2008, 02:45 AM
Good idea about Roger thinking he is a good judge of character. I agree that it was the right decision to stop Wooley, but no effort was made to subdue him other than killing him. Peter, or any other number of cops could have helped Roger while he was hanging on Wooley's back. And I would have, at least in the back of my mind, considered that at some point Peter might decide it would be justifiable to kill me.

Good point. I assumed Peter figured Wooley was too far gone to "snap out of it" anytime quickly, that keeping him subdued was impractical under the circumstances (all hands were needed to fight the zombies), and that trying to disarm him manually was too risky considering how much success Roger was having.

I am sure that Roger did want another gun, but seems odd he wouldnt have an actual friend on the force instead of asking a dude he didnt know.

Heck, maybe Wooley was that friend. Then when Wooley went "ape****," and Roger saw the rookie cop commit suicide, overwhelmed by the situation, Roger decided he needed a cool, steady, decisive hand, and Peter had just proved himself.

Slain
13-Nov-2008, 03:09 AM
I believe martial law was in effect at the point where the story starts. I remember Rodger and Peter were afraid of going anywhere an installation under federal control or running into an army patrol. Rodger grabbing the badest cop he could find at the last minute makes sense since he knew the guy wouldn't have change to snitch him out to the Feds about his plan to go AWOL. There's no telling why Rodger didn't asked a cop he was tight with already; they might have been killed, transferred to another area, deserted already, had dependants, etc.

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2008, 05:11 AM
That is a cool scene when he gives him that little nudge in the basement. However, the shooting scene in the basement happens after Roger already told Peter about the helicopter, and presumably asked him to come with him...

I know...I was just pointing it out as further reinforcement of the bonding thing that was going on.

That does bring something to mind though...we don't REALLY see the point where Roger actually ASKS Peter to go with...the first part COULD be interpreted as the "feeling him out" phase..."man there's a lot of people running out. There's a friend of mine that's got this helicopter. I could run. I could run right tonight. Think it's right to run?"

He's HINTING at it. Doesn't come right out say it per se. Could have directly asked after the basement scene.

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2008, 06:31 AM
Good point. I assumed Peter figured Wooley was too far gone to "snap out of it" anytime quickly, that keeping him subdued was impractical under the circumstances (all hands were needed to fight the zombies), and that trying to disarm him manually was too risky considering how much success Roger was having.
It would have indeed been impractical to keep him subdued. At least they could have disarmed him, and at least attempted to spare the life of a fellow officer. After all, they were supposedly there to try to keep civil order, not succumb to kaos themselves.

Heck, maybe Wooley was that friend. Then when Wooley went "ape****," and Roger saw the rookie cop commit suicide, overwhelmed by the situation, Roger decided he needed a cool, steady, decisive hand, and Peter had just proved himself.

It is possible that Wooley was that friend, but it is doubtful, Roger looks distained when Wooley starts using racial slurs.

I believe martial law was in effect at the point where the story starts. I remember Rodger and Peter were afraid of going anywhere an installation under federal control or running into an army patrol. Rodger grabbing the badest cop he could find at the last minute makes sense since he knew the guy wouldn't have change to snitch him out to the Feds about his plan to go AWOL. There's no telling why Rodger didn't asked a cop he was tight with already; they might have been killed, transferred to another area, deserted already, had dependants, etc.
Yes, martial law was in effect in Philadelphia, as it was in "all major cities". Good point that Peter would be less likely to snitch on him, especially since Roger could then snitch that Peter killed a police officer.

I know...I was just pointing it out as further reinforcement of the bonding thing that was going on.

That does bring something to mind though...we don't REALLY see the point where Roger actually ASKS Peter to go with...the first part COULD be interpreted as the "feeling him out" phase..."man there's a lot of people running out. There's a friend of mine that's got this helicopter. I could run. I could run right tonight. Think it's right to run?"

He's HINTING at it. Doesn't come right out say it per se. Could have directly asked after the basement scene.
He is definately hinting at it, you're right. He is feeling out Peter to see what he thinks of the idea. I think maybe more than that he was trying to sort out his own feelings on the matter. He wanted to know if Peter thought it was "right" to run. And yes you are right, he could have asked him after the basement scene, we dont know for sure when he asked him. For all we know, Peter asked him if he could come.

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2008, 06:56 AM
IHe is definately hinting at it, you're right. He is feeling out Peter to see what he thinks of the idea. I think maybe more than that he was trying to sort out his own feelings on the matter. He wanted to know if Peter thought it was "right" to run.

Interesting...never really thought of it that way. I can see that totally.

Trencher
13-Nov-2008, 07:40 AM
Roger wanted to have Peter on his team because Peter had sense of justice enough to shoot the racist dude but would not shoot through the innocent kid who tried to stop the racist. Most people would either let the racist continue his rampage or gun through the kid on his back saying some variant of: "they were both the same" or that "they had to do what they had to do." Peter was both strong and just, Roger had the ticket out of there.

Publius
13-Nov-2008, 03:00 PM
It would have indeed been impractical to keep him subdued. At least they could have disarmed him, and at least attempted to spare the life of a fellow officer. After all, they were supposedly there to try to keep civil order, not succumb to kaos themselves.

Disarm him without someone else getting injured or killed? That's pretty risky. Reminds me of all the times when the police shoot someone and critics say "why didn't they just shoot to wound him?" Doesn't work that way.

It is possible that Wooley was that friend, but it is doubtful, Roger looks distained when Wooley starts using racial slurs.

True, that was a bit of a stretch. :)

Philly_SWAT
13-Nov-2008, 07:09 PM
Disarm him without someone else getting injured or killed? That's pretty risky. Reminds me of all the times when the police shoot someone and critics say "why didn't they just shoot to wound him?" Doesn't work that way.

It seems as if it would have worked in this case. Wooley showed no signs of trying to kill police officers. He still had his gun in his hands as Roger was attacking him. At least twice he got Roger off of him, and both times turned his attention back to the door to the room, not shooting the guy who was just attacking him, even though Wooley was armed and Roger was unarmed and down.

Risky? I suppose. However, less risky then fighting your way into a building of armed civilians who are opening defying national orders to turn over thier dead. The people in the building had already killed cops on the rooftop.

Even if Wooley had not been a racist, it would still be believable if his character went a little nuts and starting shooting civilians who had just killed fellow cops.

And also, I understand when dealing with a perp, sometimes you just have to shoot to kill and not stand around asking questions. In this case, it was a fellow officer who was obviously in mental distress, and possibly needed in the future to fight in a "zombie war" that was not going well for the living. As Wooley was not showing any inclination to shoot officers, even though he had ample opportunity, it still seems odd that there was a shoot first attitude with other cops. As small as Roger was, he was slowing Wooley down. Surely big ol Peter helping (or the other 6 cops standing around) could have stopped Wooley without killing him.

lullubelle
14-Nov-2008, 12:12 AM
Taking Peter along was the right decision, Peter did what maybe someone else would not have done, shooting Wooley another human was not easy on him, the fact that he was in the basement before Roger states so, it bothered him to do it, but at the time it had to be done, Wooley was not only a racist, he had completely lost it by then, he would have done more harm even to to team if he would have lived, even he Roger did not know him until then, Roger must of assumed this man would do wht ever it was to assure the survival of the team and make the hard decisions if it came to that, Flyboy was no leader and Roger was to wild to lead, so they needed a person like Peter around.

sandrock74
14-Nov-2008, 01:52 AM
I think Roger just had that instinctive knowledge that you ALWAYS stick around the cool black guy when zombies are around. That increases your odds of survival! :D

blind2d
14-Nov-2008, 03:41 AM
Good theory. And an interesting point. I think Roger trusted Peter more because he had his back in the basement when he ran out. Or is it the other way round?

Publius
14-Nov-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Roger just had that instinctive knowledge that you ALWAYS stick around the cool black guy when zombies are around. That increases your odds of survival! :D

Yeah, since Dawn happened in the '70s he had probably seen Night '68 already and so sought out the most Ben-like person he could. ;)

DawnGirl27
14-Nov-2008, 09:59 PM
Great topic, Philly! I always thought that it was because they were in the same line of work, knew how to handle things under pressure, had that respect going between them. I never found it unreasonable, and in the end, was glad that that choice had been made in the midst of such chaos.

Andy
14-Nov-2008, 11:37 PM
I always assumed it just because roger knew steven, and he wanted some male company.

:lol:

MaximusIncredulous
14-Nov-2008, 11:56 PM
Taking a stranger along (especially a big guy like Peter) is just added strain on fuel and supplies, so it would be understandable if Roger ditched him at the project. Fortunately Peter was adept as an extra hand, he knew how to cook, could think on his feet, and an all-around good guy. It was an instinctive gamble on Roger's part that paid off.

Philly_SWAT
15-Nov-2008, 06:29 AM
Great topic, Philly! I always thought that it was because they were in the same line of work, knew how to handle things under pressure, had that respect going between them. I never found it unreasonable, and in the end, was glad that that choice had been made in the midst of such chaos.
Yes, I am glad the choice was made to, otherwise it would have been a boring movie!

I always assumed it just because roger knew steven, and he wanted some male company.

:lol:
LOL!!:lol:

Thorn
17-Nov-2008, 03:40 PM
Interesting question.

You do have to wonder why he would not turn to someone else who he was close to. Perhaps being outward fun loving and social he was introverted and did not have any close friends. Perhaps he was worried his friends would think less of him if he abandoned his "post", perhaps his friends already abandoned theirs.

maybe in the field of battle he forged a friendship with peter and looked up to him, admired him, and respected him and wanted to invite him along because he knew he was "a good fella" and someone he could count on.

I also agree it is pretty rude to just make that decision for Flyboy and Fran. Hey I got another guy for our group! Start the engines.