PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding the XBOX

clanglee
15-Nov-2008, 07:58 AM
I know it plays DVDs, and even upconverts them, but does anyone know if it is region free as well? This would solve my problem of having to buy separate machines for the same job.

SymphonicX
15-Nov-2008, 11:43 AM
it doesn't upconvert them.

The HD DVD player does, I think.

the ps3 upconverts...

It's not region free, sorry! I bought There's Always Vanilla region 1 and it didn't work...

triste realtą
15-Nov-2008, 10:59 PM
This is what the net says:

Yes You can, Install a region free firmware update such as Ixtreme

SymphonicX
16-Nov-2008, 10:35 AM
and invalidate your warranty....

Danny
16-Nov-2008, 03:09 PM
no it isnt region free, but when you can get a crappy dvd player for 15 quid adn just get the hack code off the net its not too much of a big deal, thats what i did to get cheap ass tv box sets form the u.s

Andy
16-Nov-2008, 07:06 PM
you know i bought a £40 DVD player from ASDA ages ago, an im talking years ago, and i still got it now an the little bastard plays everything that my mates sony's and phillips wont play.. disks from other regions, copies, disks that are scratched to ****..

Best money i ever spent.

Danny
16-Nov-2008, 07:15 PM
you know i bought a £40 DVD player from ASDA ages ago, an im talking years ago, and i still got it now an the little bastard plays everything that my mates sony's and phillips wont play.. disks from other regions, copies, disks that are scratched to ****..

Best money i ever spent.

i got one like from tesco's, £20 a few weeks back, even has divx built in, plays damn near everything you can think of.

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2008, 08:10 PM
As this is about the Xbox, just thought I'd mention, I have become on those people who have both had their 360 break, and know more than one person who has had theirs break.

A mate just had the Red Rings (simply due to heat), another has gone through two or three normal 360s, and then bought an Elite, and of course I've had to have mine repaired for a total loss of video 9 months after buying it...so yeah, I've become 'one of those people off the internet' so I have.

As you were...

Andy
16-Nov-2008, 08:29 PM
As this is about the Xbox, just thought I'd mention, I have become on those people who have both had their 360 break, and know more than one person who has had theirs break.

A mate just had the Red Rings (simply due to heat), another has gone through two or three normal 360s, and then bought an Elite, and of course I've had to have mine repaired for a total loss of video 9 months after buying it...so yeah, I've become 'one of those people off the internet' so I have.

As you were...
Quit your whinging, ive had my xbox 2 years and never had a problem with it.

MinionZombie
17-Nov-2008, 09:29 AM
And you're one of the other people on the internet that I used to be...for nine months. :D

capncnut
17-Nov-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm with Andy, had a Core system since launch for two years from 2005-07 without a single problem. Traded it in for an Elite and now I'm over a year into owning it, still no problem and works like the day I bought it.

And no, the 360 is not multi-regional.

clanglee
17-Nov-2008, 08:18 PM
it doesn't upconvert them.

The HD DVD player does, I think.

the ps3 upconverts...

It's not region free, sorry! I bought There's Always Vanilla region 1 and it didn't work...

Yeah, it does upconvert them. It allows a HDMI connection, and it looks great on my TV.

:( Sad to see that it's not really region free. I wonder if there are any region free BluRay players? Looks like I'm gonna need one of those anyways eventually.

SymphonicX
19-Nov-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah, it does upconvert them. It allows a HDMI connection, and it looks great on my TV.

:( Sad to see that it's not really region free. I wonder if there are any region free BluRay players? Looks like I'm gonna need one of those anyways eventually.

HDMI doesn't mean it upconverts. Gimmie a day or so and I'll verify this, my telly is smart enough to know what signal it's recieving and it'll tell me. I get 576p images through HDMI all the time when viewing SD pics.

In fact I just asked a colleague and he's pretty sure it doesn't upconvert either.

Danny
19-Nov-2008, 03:42 PM

i know this is kinda off topic but my local b and b games (aka blockbuster video, worse than pasta hut name wise) are doing a deal thats £199 fora sony blu ray player and 5 blu-ray movies.

i aint got a hd tv but thats a **** hot deal on hd movies you gotta admit, they that cheap in the u.s yet?

DubiousComforts
19-Nov-2008, 06:46 PM
i
the ps3 upconverts...
Does the PS3 play non-region DVDs?

SymphonicX
19-Nov-2008, 07:26 PM

Non-region I've no idea, but it doesn't play region 1 in the UK...

NOTLDC5
19-Nov-2008, 08:20 PM

No. I wish it did.

I've had my 360 almost 3 yrs and never had a problem either

DubiousComforts
19-Nov-2008, 08:45 PM
No. I wish it did.
Rats, I was thinking of getting one to play Bluray discs. Any DVD can be made "non region." ;)

Yojimbo
19-Nov-2008, 09:50 PM
A little off topic, so forgive me:

I am glad that a lot of you have had the XBOX 360 with no problems, and I understand that because of your experience you don't really get why people whine about the XBOX. I personally had system errors on my xbox after 2 years of use, and this really annoyed me, and I have heard from others who have experienced similar problems, including the red ring. Whether this is a problem specific to a few xboxes, or a problem that is inherent in the design I do not know. Contrasting that, I have had a PS2 for at least four years now with no problems at all.

I don't know if my problems are a result of me doing something wrong, or if the problems were inherent in the box itself - and actually, even if I did know I would still be stuck with a sleek looking paperweight at this point. But I do know that I did not abuse my xbox: I did not play catch with it or use it as a sex-doll, or used it to store sandwiches. And since I like the xbox in spite of my experiences, I ended up shelling out for a new unit (which I bought the extended warranty for this time around in anticipation of problems) So what caused it to fail is beyond me, and judging from what I have heard, I am not the only one who has had their 360 inexplicably go south.

I only mention this because it sometimes sounds like those who have never experienced XBOX malfunctions scoff at those who have, and I am here to tell you that I am one of those who had the unit fail on me. I am not asking for sympathy, mind you, just wanted to let you know that these units, for some reason, do really fail from time to time, and there are owners of non-functioning units out there who legitimately feel disgruntled.

Apologies again for my rant. Now back to topic! :)

Danny
19-Nov-2008, 10:01 PM
okay.

my 360 overheated, it was a brick, but still turned on.

6 months later i turn it on to charge my controller to play halo 3 at a friends later that day and it rrod's, FREE REPAIR!

BUT!- i got a different 360 back, and t turns on, the front lights up but it doesn't actually boot up, i need to restart it a good dozen times to get it working but i use it because when it works it works, and plays great games, ill upgrade to an elite when i need more space on my hd, which i do now, but honestly, all this bitching about rrod bugs me, i got a bad replacement but still dig it so what gives people the right to be ****ing mardy little bitches for getting a WORKING replacement and whining about how it was a slight inconvenience having to go a number of days without one:mad:

clanglee
21-Nov-2008, 01:05 AM
HDMI doesn't mean it upconverts. Gimmie a day or so and I'll verify this, my telly is smart enough to know what signal it's recieving and it'll tell me. I get 576p images through HDMI all the time when viewing SD pics.

In fact I just asked a colleague and he's pretty sure it doesn't upconvert either.

By upconverts, I mean it expands the movie to full screen at the highest quality available, which for regular dvds is like 420p. Regular DVDs look great on my TV through my sis's XBOX. This is all kind of moot anyways, because I just plain WANT an XBOX360. :D;)

SymphonicX
25-Nov-2008, 07:41 PM
By upconverts, I mean it expands the movie to full screen at the highest quality available, which for regular dvds is like 420p. Regular DVDs look great on my TV through my sis's XBOX. This is all kind of moot anyways, because I just plain WANT an XBOX360. :D;)

Ahh I see, well in the sense that it upscales the image to 1080i, well it doesn't...but then every DVD player does what you said there really :)

clanglee
26-Nov-2008, 01:16 AM
Ahh I see, well in the sense that it upscales the image to 1080i, well it doesn't...but then every DVD player does what you said there really :)

Nope, only the new players with a component video or HDMI output will fully upconvert to a high def screen.