PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Universal Horror...

Hawkboy
08-May-2006, 08:13 PM
I see a lot of talk about movies made in the 80's and 90's on these boards but for my money it all starts with the Universal Classics of the 30's and 40's.

What is the best of the best? Is it "Frankenstein"? Or maybe you like the Monster Rallies like "House of Dracula" or "House of Frankenstein?? Ae you a Mummy fan or do prefer the murky depths of the 'Black Lagoon"?

Let us know the first universal you saw and of course, your favourite!!!! If you are the type who only watches things in colour and have not seen these classic films... I feel sorry for you! RENT THEM TODAY!!!

I'll give my answers later as I am curious to see what you guys like!!!!!

DjfunkmasterG
08-May-2006, 08:26 PM
The first classic Universal horror film I ever saw was 1931's DRACULA. Although it wasn't very frightening it was my favorite of the classics. Frankenstein is my 2nd favorite film.

I really did like the fact LAND used the old Universal logo. I thought that was pretty cool and a nice nod to the Universal Classics. :D

Tullaryx
08-May-2006, 08:39 PM
I liked the Universal Frankenstein better than Dracula. There was more depth to Whaley's film and Karloff's silent performance was heads above Lugosi's.

Hawkboy
08-May-2006, 08:48 PM
I liked the Universal Frankenstein better than Dracula. There was more depth to Whaley's film and Karloff's silent performance was heads above Lugosi's.

Yes I'd have to agree with you there, although I DO love Lugosi, Whale's Frankensteins films are much better then Dracula but I think "Bride of Frankenstein" is even a full head better than the Original!

And that is certainly my fave Universal (Although Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Mummy are up there).

The Subtext going on is amazing.. (Everything from Religion to Homosexuality) and the scene between the Monster and the Old Blind man can get me all teary even today! Karloff was outstanding. and the Jack Pierce Makeup holds up to this day....
http://www.wsc.mass.edu/mfilas/coursework/images/karloff.jpg

Tullaryx
08-May-2006, 08:50 PM
Oops, I said Whaley's instead of Whale. :lol:

Though knowing what we now know about James Whale, I'm sure he's been called Whaley by someone. :)

Hawkboy
08-May-2006, 08:52 PM
Oops, I said Whaley's instead of Whale. :lol:

Though knowing what we now know about James Whale, I'm sure he's been called Whaley by someone. :)

Yeah I thought you were just using a nickname! :D

zombie04
08-May-2006, 08:54 PM
Creature From the Black Lagoon was the first Universal Monster movie I saw, but my favorite is Bride of Frankenstein. I thought Frankenstein and Bride were both really well made and far superior to the Dracula and Wolfman series. The first Dracula movie is really good, and it's interesting to watch the Spanish version of it. I just think all of the series got carried away with too many sequels.

EvilNed
08-May-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't think the original Frankenstein is good enough to knock my socks off, but I do like the old Universal classics. Me and a friend usually end up watching some of them every other Halloween.

I'm a Wolf Man guy myself, tho. After that, it's probably Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Hawkboy
08-May-2006, 09:17 PM
I love The Wolf man but he only HUGE problem with it has to be the fact we are asked to believe little 5'2" Claude Rains son is this HUGE mountain of a man Lon Chaney Jr. :eek:

This movie has a lot going on as well (Especially the whole Nazi oppresion of Jews subtext) and is so beautiful to watch. One thing can be said for the old Universals they were all pretty to look at.

Curious Ned what do you think of "Bride" compared to The First Frank film?

MaximusIncredulous
08-May-2006, 10:15 PM
I see a lot of talk about movies made in the 80's and 90's on these boards but for my money it all starts with the Universal Classics of the 30's and 40's.

What is the best of the best? Is it "Frankenstein"? Or maybe you like the Monster Rallies like "House of Dracula" or "House of Frankenstein?? Ae you a Mummy fan or do prefer the murky depths of the 'Black Lagoon"?

Let us know the first universal you saw and of course, your favourite!!!! If you are the type who only watches things in colour and have not seen these classic films... I feel sorry for you! RENT THEM TODAY!!!

I'll give my answers later as I am curious to see what you guys like!!!!!

This has to do with your quote in "The Quote Game" thread doesn't it? ;)

Hawkboy
08-May-2006, 10:22 PM
This has to do with your quote in "The Quote Game" thread doesn't it? ;)

GOOD MAN! :D

Hey how did I lose my Rep point?? Because I disagreed with someone in another thread?

Zombie-A-GoGo
09-May-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm all about the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I'm an make-up/effects nerd---that suit was kickin'. :)

Adrenochrome
09-May-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm all about the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I'm an make-up/effects nerd---that suit was kickin'. :)
If you can see a zipper, the old monster suits ROCK!!!!:D

Marie
09-May-2006, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=Hawkboy]and the scene between the Monster and the Old Blind man can get me all teary even today!QUOTE]

I used to be like that, then I saw "Young Frankenstien" by Mel Brooks.... cured the waterworks for some reason:D .

M_

glsjaw
09-May-2006, 01:08 AM
absolutly would have to be the original. DRACULA

Adrenochrome
09-May-2006, 01:19 AM
absolutly would have to be the original. DRACULA
1932 - Bela Lugosi? (if so, on the DVD I have there is the 1932 Spanish version filmed on the same set at the same time - both are excellent!!!!)

Hawkboy
09-May-2006, 04:23 PM
If you can see a zipper, the old monster suits ROCK!!!!:D

That's what is beautiful about the Creature is that it's not cheap and you can't see the zipper. The only make up/suit that gets really bad in the Universal family is the Kharis Mummy in the Mummy sequels. However I still love those films!

Adrenochrome
09-May-2006, 04:32 PM
That's what is beautiful about the Creature is that it's not cheap and you can't see the zipper. The only make up/suit that gets really bad in the Universal family is the Kharis Mummy in the Mummy sequels. However I still love those films!
Watch it again. There are a few scenes where it's beautifully obvious (especially around the neck area) Don't get me wrong, that "suit" is one of my favorites to come out of the "old Hollywood monster days" I would LOVE to own it. And, I agrree with your love for those flicks - I own them all and they are quite dear to me.
Not sure if it's a "Universal" or not, but, there was a John Agar flick I saw ONCE a long time ago called Hand of Death (1962'ish) That flick has a great "monster" in it, he even wears a trenchcoat and a fedora to "hide it's identity" while he stalks a niegborhood.

Hawkboy
09-May-2006, 06:23 PM
Watch the classic Universal 'Werewolf of London" a brilliant movie (Possibly their best Wolfman film!) that is slightly marred by Henry Hull having just transformed into the Werewolf is about to race out the door to attack some poor cockney bastard when he remembers to stop and put on his coat and hat!
http://thegalleryofmonstertoys.com/90swing/sideshow8inchwerewolf.jpg

Adrenochrome
09-May-2006, 06:26 PM
Watch the classic Universal 'Werewolf of London" a brilliant movie (Possibly their best Wolfman film!) that is slightly marred by Henry Hull having just transformed into the Werewolf is about to race out the door to attack some poor cockney bastard when he remembers to stop and put on his coat and hat!
http://thegalleryofmonstertoys.com/90swing/sideshow8inchwerewolf.jpg

Classic!