PDA

View Full Version : Just installed VISTA Ultimate and giving it a Test Drive

DjfunkmasterG
17-Nov-2008, 08:03 PM
So far it seems to be okay, and I have not run into the issues others have talked about, but it is a clunky piece of software in how it asks you so many questions baout whether you want to install this or that constantly.

I will say the machine runs a little quicker, but that can be attributed to the fact it is a fresh install of Windows.

Tricky
17-Nov-2008, 08:20 PM
Have you got service pack 1 installed too?i found it got a lot better after that,plus all the auto updates.I wasnt a big fan of vista at first,but i think its great now on the whole!

DjfunkmasterG
17-Nov-2008, 09:43 PM
Yep, my disc was with SP1

3pidemiC
18-Nov-2008, 02:29 AM
Turn off User Account Control.

It's in Control Panel > User Accounts > Select Account > You'll See It

That'll turn off those annoying popups and increase performance greatly.

Also, turn off the sidebar to increase performance.

Vista really isn't as bad as most people say it is. The problem is, most people hear that it is bad and then believe it. Most people have not used Vista themselves and just jump on the Vista-hate-bandwagon when they hear it from others. Granted, it's definately not the best OS that Microsoft has release (I still personally use XP), but it is not as bad as it's rep.

MinionZombie
18-Nov-2008, 10:05 AM
I'll be sticking with XP for the foreseeable future thank you very much, I'm sure Vista isn't as lame as it originally was (and nor should it be, but it should have been awesome from the off, but MS never bother to do that ever, so...)

I knw what I like, and I'll stick with it ... and "it" is XP.

DjfunkmasterG
18-Nov-2008, 02:17 PM

Vista really isn't as bad as most people say it is. The problem is, most people hear that it is bad and then believe it. Most people have not used Vista themselves and just jump on the Vista-hate-bandwagon when they hear it from others. Granted, it's definately not the best OS that Microsoft has release (I still personally use XP), but it is not as bad as it's rep.

The sidebar is gone, that was the first thing to go.

I will hit up the User Account Control tonight when I get home. In fact I was just reading a tech forum on how to shut that **** off.

I also got rid of the splash screen which rates your PC based on performance scores. I kicked that to the freaking curb.

Other items I disable:

Sounds
Themes I just keep one of the Vista pics as a background, but I hate themes
Cookies - nothing tracked

Upgrades performed -
Firefox 3
Chrome - figured I would try it out... so far its crap
IE 8 - Kind of like 7, but still needs tons of work.

Software issues - Get an annoying pop up because my sound card driver hasn't been recognized by Micro$oft, so it constantly pops up at every boot up. Trying to figure out how to shut that off as well.

Upgraded to Nero 9, Vista not working with my 6.6.0.3 (Big fan of Nero 6)
Upgraded to Vegas 8.0c - To fix time code bug

Didn't have to install a lot of drivers for my monitors and printers. Vista had it all.

Pros
From Start up to desk top - 11 seconds (Actually 4 seconds quicker than XP)
Shutdown from desktop to off 7 seconds.

Installed VIsta SMoker, which is a tweak program for Vista, My PC is running at optimal performance as I can fine tune everything with this piece of software. Highly recommend.

More updates to come.

LoSTBoY
20-Nov-2008, 12:10 PM

Careful if you disable the User Account Control (UAC) bud, as it also disables the Kernel security.

If some malicious kernel software gets through your whole build will be f*cked, best to put up with the UAC, after a while it doesn't bother you.

Neil
20-Nov-2008, 01:08 PM
Careful if you disable the User Account Control (UAC) bud, as it also disables the Kernel security.

If some malicious kernel software gets through your whole build will be f*cked, best to put up with the UAC, after a while it doesn't bother you.

Unfortunately I had to disable UAC. Windows Defender would not allow a program of mine to start at bootup. And there's no way of telling Windows Defender:-
- I know what the application is
- I installed it
- I want it to run

But no! Windows Defender (Microsoft knows better), and I cannot set it to run.

...so UAC off! Daft!

3pidemiC
20-Nov-2008, 04:28 PM
Get a good Antivirus/Antispyware program like Kaspersky and you'll be fine.

Tricky
20-Nov-2008, 05:43 PM
I disabled UAC as i got annoyed with boxes popping up asking my permission to run any program or app i clicked on,plus it didnt let me play games online with it switched on!ive got AVG anti-virus on which updates constantly & so far ive had no issues :) vista rates my PC at 5.4 on performance as well which is pretty decent!even the very high end games out at the moment say 5.5 is the desirable spec so im still sweet there,far cry 2 & crysis run like a dream on here!some more ram & my 8800GTX in SLi mode wouldnt go amiss though...

DjfunkmasterG
20-Nov-2008, 06:02 PM
UAC is completely disabled. I went into MSCONFIG and shut it off, so it doesn't even run in the background. SO far I am on day 3 and no problems. Everything runs top notch.

LoSTBoY
21-Nov-2008, 12:37 PM
When the latest virus comes out and gets into all your kernels, I will come here and noone will hear my manical laugh as I shout "I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" :elol::elol::stunned: