View Full Version : Left 4 Dead - Crossroads Mall

capncnut
22-Nov-2008, 03:58 PM
This is probably the only time you'll ever see me excited about anything to do with Dawn 04 but a replica of the Crossroads Mall is going to be made available for Left 4 Dead soon. Here's a video.

3TYlIr-lJ_w

Originally it was going to be a standalone for a Half Life 2 mod but those good old folks from Valve know what we want and snapped up the map as part of a new set of downloads for the game. Check out today's report at Kotaku, there's also a more detailed walkthrough of the mall on there.

kotaku.com/dawn-of-the-dead-mall-coming-to-left-4-dead (http://kotaku.com/5096479/dawn-of-the-dead-mall-coming-to-left-4-dead)

Whether there's going to be a copyright slagfest, who knows, but it's coming and my pants are wet! :hyper:

3pidemiC
22-Nov-2008, 05:41 PM
It's from the mod that I used to work for No More Room In Hell for HL2. We were in production for over 4 years and they still have not called it quits (for some ungodly reason). It was created by a guy named "Darth_Brush". The only issue right now that I can see is that it would be too small for a full L4D map. I guess if he is going to release it, it might be cut down to 2 parts. I actually have it on my computer right now.

MinionZombie
22-Nov-2008, 06:38 PM
I was almost gonna say, "why not do the proper zombie mall from Dawn of the Dead?" ... but then figured that'd be retarded putting raptor-zombies in true Dawn.

I certainly think the mods for this game could be potentially fantastic, especially if you could make the zeds into shamblers and change the mechanics of the game to suit shamblers for the true, die-hard, died-in-the-wool zed-heads out there...like me. :p

ProfessorChaos
22-Nov-2008, 07:32 PM
wonder if this will be part of the 1st map pack they release for the 360? this is pc only right now, right? like mz said, i wish they'd release a patch or something where you could change the dynamics of the game, such as making waayy more ghouls, but they'd be slower.

3pidemiC
22-Nov-2008, 09:40 PM
Surely it's not going to be a part of any "official" release. I know the guy who is making it. If anything, it will be released independently, then if it is good enough, be picked up officially. There is still a lot of work that has to be done on it though.

Craig
22-Nov-2008, 11:46 PM
Would be cool if he was able to incorpotate this into a campaign, even just a short one, where certain scenes from the movie are re-created. Like clearing the mall and the underground, the sewers, the gun shop, the escape from the mall and the finale where you must get to the boat and re-fuel it or something... I'd play that.

Trancelikestate
13-Dec-2008, 04:51 PM
hm, i think this is super cool, especially since i've been kinda getting into modding lately. i understand the theme of the running zombies and this it's a more modern mall so it therefore fits the scenery a little better. BUT, as mz stated, i just can't get over the fact it's not monroeville. it's funny, but in a way it makes me wish the remake didn't exist even more, cuz if it didn't the original would be the only one. therefore they'd have to do it. well besides maybe willamette parkview mall. but theres already a 3-d model of that. what fun would that be?

Neil
30-Jan-2009, 12:50 PM
...sorry it's the 2004 mall!

http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12:crossroadsmall&catid=2:news
http://gameplasma.com/news/index/view/id/1436/

kidgloves
30-Jan-2009, 01:51 PM
ICEBERG :D

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=12413

darth los
30-Jan-2009, 02:41 PM
Sweet, now why doesn't anyone repicate the real mall from the original? I'd shell out major cash for that one.

:cool:

bassman
30-Jan-2009, 02:43 PM
Sweet, now why doesn't anyone repicate the real mall from the original? I'd shell out major cash for that one.

Don't the zombies run in L4D? Running zombies in the Monroeville Mall? That would be a spit in the face, man!:p

CoinReturn
30-Jan-2009, 03:33 PM
Monroeville Mall would be kinda boring, I think. It's basically just one long corridor, though JCPenny's could make up for that. Maybe it would be better suited for a "defend you castle" kind of game, like the zombie mode in CoD:World at War. And they'd have to make it the 1978 version, with the clock tower, ice rink and retro decor. There's now a Japanese steak house attached to the front of the mall as well, it's really changed quite a bit.

Neil
30-Jan-2009, 04:28 PM
Oops! Threads merged!

tkane18
30-Jan-2009, 05:30 PM
Don't the zombies run in L4D? Running zombies in the Monroeville Mall? That would be a spit in the face, man!:p

Maybe someone can make a mod where you can set the maximum speed of the zombies.