PDA

View Full Version : Red Dawn!

EvilNed
25-Nov-2008, 11:26 PM
Classic! I just heard of this film and saw some clips on the tube!

The Soviets invade the US (and shoot a ****ing rocket launcher into a high school!) but encounter setbacks when a bunch of high school kids decide to fight back.

In a way, I'm not surprised I never heard of it sooner, because it seems like the kind of film people just want to bury and forget about.

Btw, I still can't get over the rocket launcher / high school thing. I can imagine that soldiers orders:

"Fire that rocket launcher into that school!"

"Uhm, why? They haven't resisted, and shouldn't we, like save our ammo and equipment for more serious threaths?"

"Do as I said! I'm evil, for no apparent reason. Bwahahahaha!!!"

Publius
25-Nov-2008, 11:52 PM
Classic! I just heard of this film and saw some clips on the tube![/I]

Just heard of it?? Man, it's a Cold War classic! My College Republicans chapter used to host a showing of it on campus every year. ;)

Plans for a remake are even in the works. Although I can't imagine who they could pick for a credible villain.

Mike70
26-Nov-2008, 12:10 AM
yeah ned, i am surprised you've just heard about this flick. like publius said, it's a cold war classic. it is also one of the most violent movies ever made (based on acts of violence per minute) and features probably the most ridiculous scenario of any movie ever. still, it is a fun ride and not to be taken too seriously.

now that you've brought it up, i haven't seen it in eons. i think i'll get my hands on a copy and give it a spin.

clanglee
26-Nov-2008, 12:41 AM
Wolverines!!!!!!!

axlish
26-Nov-2008, 01:00 AM
This was a childhood favorite of mine and I still get a kick out of it. Thanks for mentioning it, I think I'll give a spin soon myself. This movie is hardcore as hell, I love it!

Cody
26-Nov-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm suprised you just heard of it too lol

AcesandEights
26-Nov-2008, 03:53 AM
I may pop my copy of Red Dawn in now...

In fact, I even plan on running a game of Twilight 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_2000) soon. Mmmmm, I love Cold War kitsch!

The Soviets invade the US (and shoot a ****ing rocket launcher into a high school!) but encounter setbacks when a bunch of high school kids decide to fight back.[/I]

Field Marshal Evil Ned *Rattling His Fist*: And I would have crushed capitalism once and for all, if it weren't for you durn kids!

MoonSylver
26-Nov-2008, 04:51 AM
Yep 100% 80's all the way. Fit right in with all the action movies, men's adventure series & post-apocalyptic fiction flowing forth during that golden age.

You might not have heard of Red Dawn as I think it's one of many movies that found their following on cable.

That movie is really touching to me (in an odd way) & has a lot of heart (schmaltzy as it may be).

EvilNed
26-Nov-2008, 01:52 PM
Field Marshal Evil Ned *Rattling His Fist*: And I would have crushed capitalism once and for all, if it weren't for you durn kids!

:lol:

Oh man, now I only wish someone would make a parody of this film!

Skippy911sc
26-Nov-2008, 02:08 PM

this is a must see of true 80's ART!

A MUST SEE!!!

Publius
26-Nov-2008, 03:32 PM

You'll have to wait till Friedberg and Seltzer get around to writing "Eighties Movie." :p

strayrider
27-Nov-2008, 12:28 AM
Russian soldier: "I will show how a Russian dies!"

Jed: "We've seen it."

-stray-

wayzim
27-Nov-2008, 12:17 PM
yeah ned, i am surprised you've just heard about this flick. like publius said, it's a cold war classic. it is also one of the most violent movies ever made (based on acts of violence per minute) and features probably the most ridiculous scenario of any movie ever. still, it is a fun ride and not to be taken too seriously.

now that you've brought it up, i haven't seen it in eons. i think i'll get my hands on a copy and give it a spin.

Yep, a fun John Milius( Conan; the barbarian, Farewell to The King ) film that has been running on cable this month.

A more draggy but still interesting Commie scare film was a limited series called Amerika (1987), with Robert Urich, Kris Kristofferson and Sam Neil, about an almost bloodless takeover of the USA by soviet forces (hint, NATO plays a huge part in that )
Kris is a former freedom fighter finally let loose after ten years in a work camp, Robert Urich is a minor politician slanted to become governor of the Heartland states as an over burdened Russia starts to carve up the nation into autonomous ( more or less ) satellites.

Wayne Z

bassman
27-Nov-2008, 05:55 PM
Seems like I just recently saw a website where this could be watched for free....

DawnGirl27
28-Nov-2008, 12:30 AM
Wolverines!!!!!!!

That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread! :lol:
Awesome movie - a favorite of mine I'll watch anytime it comes on tv even though I have it. Definately a classic. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to run out now and get it!!! :cool:

zombie04
28-Nov-2008, 09:02 PM

check out the South Park episode Grey Dawn. Same thing except it switches out the USSR for the AARP.

EvilNed
02-Dec-2008, 04:28 PM
I just watched it, and while I love 80's camp, this was just... Bad. All around. I mean, they didn't even try to get us to like the characters. They were just annoying little pricks, and I wanted the russians to kill everyone of them. Seemed sort of like a film made by amateurs, but with somewhat of a budget.

AcesandEights
02-Dec-2008, 04:43 PM
I just watched it, and while I love 80's camp, this was just... Bad. All around. I mean, they didn't even try to get us to like the characters. They were just annoying little pricks, and I wanted the russians to kill everyone of them. Seemed sort of like a film made by amateurs, but with somewhat of a budget.

I think a negative review from you was almost pre-ordained, Ned. :)

EvilNed
02-Dec-2008, 04:55 PM
I think a negative review from you was almost pre-ordained, Ned. :)

What? Am I so predictable!?

AcesandEights
02-Dec-2008, 06:15 PM
What? Am I so predictable!?

Hrm...maybe a little, but I was mainly busting your chops :)

Since we're on the topic, though, are there any good Cold War era films you can recommend, Ned?

Hell, I'll just make a new topic about it ;)

Exatreides
02-Dec-2008, 06:24 PM
Well I'm not him but I gota recommend

Reds
Hunt for Red October
Dr. Strangelove or how I learned to love the bomb.

Meh

zombie04
02-Dec-2008, 11:32 PM
Dr. Strangelove or how I learned to love the bomb.

There's no fighting in the war room!

MoonSylver
03-Dec-2008, 07:58 AM
There's no fighting in the war room!

"But he'll see the big board!!!"

http://digital-artz.com/images/UserFiles/drsl1.jpg

Brilliant, brilliant movie. Funny as hell.