PDA

View Full Version : Skater in Land

blind2d
26-Nov-2008, 03:06 AM
As a skateboarder, I found his character both degrading to my lifestyle and a poor representation of the assets this vehicle has in a zed situation. Also, how did his obviously Anti-Hero (yes, it's a company) board end up in the water?

capncnut
26-Nov-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, I wouldn't take the character as a deliberate attack or attempt to make a skateboarder feel degraded. It's just one of a number of dumb characters in that movie, only this one happened to ride a skateboard.

Kickflips... they creep me out...

bassman
26-Nov-2008, 11:42 AM
He was pretty much just food. The character didn't serve any purpose other than getting attacked and eaten. As Capn said, it wasn't meant to take stabs at skaters.

This is kinda like complaining that Batman's cool little grapling hook thingy is degrading to spelunkers....

Skippy911sc
26-Nov-2008, 01:56 PM
This is kinda like complaining that Batman's cool little grapling hook thingy is degrading to spelunkers....

Now that you mentioned it...I always found this to be true... ;)

This is just one example of a character thrown into this movie just to make a scene happen...the clown (which was cool), the kids, and the board in the water.

Thorn
26-Nov-2008, 04:02 PM
I found the character annoying.

First of all anyone wearing headphones while "out in the thick of it" is an idiot. I can not see myself alone in the wilds with earphones on blaring music so I would in anyway limit my ability to perceive possible threats. I wouldn't do it in a war zone and I wouldn't do it in a living dead frontier area.

I would have taken up a better defensive position, and one that provided a better vantage point.

As to your assertion that a skate board is a good vehicle/mode of transportation in a living dead scenario, can you elaborate on this? I have some thoughts and opinions but I would love to hear yours.

ProfessorChaos
26-Nov-2008, 10:13 PM
yeah, that dude putting his headphones on has to be one of the most ignorant actions by any character from any romero film.

Philly_SWAT
27-Nov-2008, 12:32 AM
Well, I wouldn't take the character as a deliberate attack or attempt to make a skateboarder feel degraded. It's just one of a number of dumb characters in that movie, only this one happened to ride a skateboard.

Kickflips... they creep me out...

Yes, this character was incredibly, annoyingly stupid. And of course, no disparagement was meant toward skateboarders I am sure.

He was pretty much just food. The character didn't serve any purpose other than getting attacked and eaten. As Capn said, it wasn't meant to take stabs at skaters.

LOL!!:lol::hyper::lol:

First of all anyone wearing headphones while "out in the thick of it" is an idiot. I can not see myself alone in the wilds with earphones on blaring music so I would in anyway limit my ability to perceive possible threats. I wouldn't do it in a war zone and I wouldn't do it in a living dead frontier area.

I would have taken up a better defensive position, and one that provided a better vantage point.

As to your assertion that a skate board is a good vehicle/mode of transportation in a living dead scenario, can you elaborate on this? I have some thoughts and opinions but I would love to hear yours.
Yes, this guy was a complete idiot. If you were waiting for a boat, wouldnt you wait outside so you could see it? And if you wait inside, why where earphones to where you now cant hear the boat? Imagine if the boat did come loaded with money, they dont see anyone there, so they turn around and leave? The skater would have been shanked by Cholo for being an asswipe. And knowing that zombies could be about, and hearing a noise, why stick your hand outside a window? He deserved to die. It is hard to imagine he was alive to being with. A totally worthless character. I would like to know if the whole idea of his character was GAR's, or the studio's.

ProfessorChaos
27-Nov-2008, 12:35 AM
I would like to know if the whole idea of his character was GAR's, or the studio's.

interesting point, philly. seconded.:shifty:

blind2d
27-Nov-2008, 01:14 AM
well thorn, a skateboard doubles as a bludgeon, and it needs no fuel source other than the human using it, much like a bicycle, but moves a bit slower. It does have advantages over the bicycle in that it is much more portable and takes up less space. Also, it has no risk of losing air and handicapping itself, so really it makes the most sense to me in a zombie-encrusted environment. Also, imagine lopping off zed-heads as you roll by, but without the excessive speed and thereby inhibited aim offered by motor vehicles a la Dawn. Plus you can do 360-flip noseslides to celebrate!

ProfessorChaos
27-Nov-2008, 01:21 AM
and then you hit a tiny rock and slam off your board....i've been there. a skateboard would be ideal if you were in an indoor skatepark with the living dead, but totally useless outisde on gravel, dirt, grass, in the rain, snow,etc. unless it was a motorized skateboard...which would be pretty rad-ass, to steal an mz phrase. like philly, i think the skater dude is a studio-mandated character

MaximusIncredulous
27-Nov-2008, 05:09 AM
Maybe the corporate bean-counters wanted to appeal to Tony Hawk fans and forced George to put him in there.

blind2d
27-Nov-2008, 01:14 PM
Or maybe it's commentary on how even in an undead world, young white males with no money will still skateboard... and get killed in dark buildings while slowing moving backward... argh, so many things about this scene make me mad!

sandrock74
28-Nov-2008, 07:24 PM
Or maybe it's commentary on how even in an undead world, young white males with no money will still skateboard... and get killed in dark buildings while slowing moving backward... argh, so many things about this scene make me mad!

I think you need to leave your skateboard at home and get out more.

Your right, the character was created and put in the movie with the explicit intention of mocking not just skaters, but you specifically! It's true.

Obviously, I'm just kidding. Really thou, get out more. :p

blind2d
28-Nov-2008, 08:23 PM
But the only reason for getting out that I have is to skate! It is prevalent to me that you sir, are not a 'boarder yourself. Am I right? Anyways, yeah, just saying that it ticks me off. Just like priest-in-the-box. Oh well, at least there's Pretty Boy.

SymphonicX
28-Nov-2008, 08:41 PM

I agree re: headphones - totally spot on. Although when I see that scene I not only think "ugh what an idiot" but I also start to feel really intense, could you imagine being in his situation and having music on that loud?!? I'd be ****ting my pants, and it certainly evokes that emotion in me, very creepy scene...

and whoever said he was just food was dead right - look how easily the dude got pulled apart - coming from zeds who'd fingers were disintergrating when clawing at Dead Reckoning that's pretty amazing that he was pulled apart like paper...same with the dude who gets his head ripped off - you'd think if they pulled at someone like that the only thing that would be torn off would be the zombies arms, rendering them pretty useless!

sandrock74
29-Nov-2008, 03:36 AM
But the only reason for getting out that I have is to skate! It is prevalent to me that you sir, are not a 'boarder yourself. Am I right? Anyways, yeah, just saying that it ticks me off. Just like priest-in-the-box. Oh well, at least there's Pretty Boy.

No, you got me. I don't skate. Also, I must respectfully disagree with you, kind sir. Motown has it all up on Prettyboy!

blind2d
29-Nov-2008, 02:35 PM
Me? Kind? You must have me mistaken with some poor sop like Sheckler, I'm afraid. I am a heartless, merciless killer who feeds only on the blood of my victims! Worship me or be destroyed!

capncnut
29-Nov-2008, 02:51 PM
No, you got me. I don't skate. Also, I must respectfully disagree with you, kind sir. Motown has it all up on Prettyboy!
Damn straight, that's who I'd choose. Eeny, meeny, miny, Motown! :D

And LOL, Ryan Sheckler...

sandrock74
29-Nov-2008, 03:43 PM
Damn straight, that's who I'd choose. Eeny, meeny, miny, Motown! :D

FINALLY!!! Someone else who is a Motown fan! What a wonderful day! I thought I was the only one who doesn't automatically cream in my pants over that skank Slack. :annoyed:
Nice to know I'm not alone.

blind2d
29-Nov-2008, 09:33 PM
Slack sucks. But Pretty Boy is... well, pretty. at least to me. probably nobody else in the world.
thanks for noticin', capn.

dracenstein
30-Nov-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd choose Prettyboy over Slack anyday.

AcesandEights
30-Nov-2008, 06:09 PM
Slack sucks.

That's what I hear, too. So more points for her.

blind2d
30-Nov-2008, 07:10 PM
Anyway, yeah, just watched Land again and you know something? Mouse is so bad at skating! All he does is roll around, he can't even TURN, for goodness sakes! Anyway, sorry about wasting everyone's time with this thread...

bassman
30-Nov-2008, 07:25 PM
Anyway, yeah, just watched Land again and you know something? Mouse is so bad at skating! All he does is roll around, he can't even TURN, for goodness sakes! Anyway, sorry about wasting everyone's time with this thread...

Dude. It's a movie. They didn't give mouse's skating anymore thought than just making it part of his death.

If you want a skateboarding movie....obviously Land of the Dead isn't it.

sandrock74
30-Nov-2008, 07:27 PM
If you want a skateboarding movie....obviously Land of the Dead isn't it.

It isn't?!? Damn.

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2008, 03:58 AM
Also, how did his obviously Anti-Hero (yes, it's a company) board end up in the water?

I own an Anti-Hero deck. :D

MoonSylver
01-Dec-2008, 03:59 AM
FINALLY!!! Someone else who is a Motown fan! What a wonderful day! I thought I was the only one who doesn't automatically cream in my pants over that skank Slack. :annoyed:
Nice to know I'm not alone.

Slack sucks. But Pretty Boy is... well, pretty. at least to me. probably nobody else in the world.
thanks for noticin', capn.

I'd let all three of them oil wrestle nekkid for my affections, but I digress...:D :p :lol:

blind2d
01-Dec-2008, 12:43 PM
Cardiel... yeah, Anti-Hero rocks. Never had one myself, actually. Do they skate well?

DjfunkmasterG
01-Dec-2008, 02:03 PM
interesting point, philly. seconded.:shifty:

George has gone on record saying the script was not changed much. Infact from the draft I read to what played in cinemas the only thing missing were the zombie rats. EVerything else as written appeared in the film, including Skateboard boy.

Also, to second another opinion... wearing headphones with blaring music was an insanely stupid idea. This is one of many gripes I have with Land of the Dead, as you can see who is going to get it before the zombies get them because the characters are written in just a really stupid an inefficent way it brings down the whole movie.

LAND is definitely the weakest film in the series and also shows the sloppiest writing and story development.

I'd choose Prettyboy over Slack anyday. I agree. I don't see what anyone sees in Slack. She is a skank. Asia Argento is not that pretty, even in real life she looks like a cross between her dad and Forrest Gump.

Hell I'd F**K #9 before I would touch Slack.

sandrock74
01-Dec-2008, 02:35 PM
Hell I'd F**K #9 before I would touch Slack.

And thats saying a lot! Zombie cooties! Ewwwww :eek:

capncnut
01-Dec-2008, 02:41 PM
Cardiel... yeah, Anti-Hero rocks. Never had one myself, actually. Do they skate well?
Can't beat Plan B, Baker or Girl boards. Although it all depends on what trucks, wheels, etc...

bassman
01-Dec-2008, 03:14 PM
Also, to second another opinion... wearing headphones with blaring music was an insanely stupid idea.

Yeah. Kinda like the Biker at the Blood Pressure machine in Dawn.:sneaky:

Thorn
01-Dec-2008, 03:51 PM
Well if you are comparing a skateboard to a bike maybe I can see the argument but to be honest I think it is a pretty horrible vehicle in a dead rising situation given the many other options out there. It would in fact be one of the bottom on my list.

Personal taste aside, you are into skateboards cool .That does not make them a good choice for your own survival if the dead walk. For every fault you can list for bikes, cars, trucks, trenchers, bulldozers, and steam rollers. I am sure someone else can list one for a skateboard.

Even a weak armed zombie can grab your shirt and pull you off your board. They do not handle rough terrain AT ALL well, and you have no protection. You are the soul source of power and if you are incapacitated in any way you are doomed (I PULLED A HAMMY! OH NOES). I would rather be enclosed and protected. Is it 100% safe to be in say a truck? No but try running through a pack of zombies on your board.

Just my opinion.

blind2d
02-Dec-2008, 03:04 AM
Great points all, thorn. But as a personal preference, yes, I would rather die skateboarding than almost anything else. I would die, but I wouldn't care because hey, I'd be skating! Call me stupid, but it won't affect me. After all, I do it to myself every day.