PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine.

3pidemiC
03-Dec-2008, 07:13 AM
I just watched Danny Boyle's Sunshine on Blu-Ray. I really enjoyed it.

Reminds me a lot of 2001.

Thoughts?

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2008, 10:33 AM
I posted about it on here a while back, quite a while back in fact I think, when I saw it in the cinema.

I personally loved it ... Neil on the other hand just bitches and moans about it all the time. :sneaky::p

*waits for Neil to unfurl his list of complaints about the film* :clown:

SymphonicX
03-Dec-2008, 11:29 AM
Sunshine is brill, excellent movie and very beautiful

Neil
03-Dec-2008, 11:47 AM
I posted about it on here a while back, quite a while back in fact I think, when I saw it in the cinema.

I personally loved it ... Neil on the other hand just bitches and moans about it all the time. :sneaky::p

*waits for Neil to unfurl his list of complaints about the film* :clown:

I don't bitch about it all the time... Just whenever I get the opportunity :)

Come on, it does have some very daft moments :rolleyes: It's by no means a bad film though!

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2008, 11:51 AM
It's by no means a bad film though!

Then quit your bitchin' ... :p

bassman
03-Dec-2008, 01:11 PM
Loved this film. Can't wait for Slumdog Millionaire.

Eagle Eye
03-Dec-2008, 01:31 PM
Never seen the movie, Maybe I will in the near future.

AcesandEights
03-Dec-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Sunshine is wonderful. A beauty to look at and a 'save-the-earth' disaster movie with brains...till Pinbaker made his appearance, then the movie suffered a fair bit. A very poorly handled antagonist, IMO.

A nice discussion was also had about the movie a little while ago here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=7953&highlight=sunshine).

EvilNed
03-Dec-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, Sunshine is wonderful. A beauty to look at and a 'save-the-earth' disaster movie with brains...till Pinbaker made his appearance, then the movie suffered a fair bit. A very poorly handled antagonist, IMO.

I agree completely!

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2008, 05:46 PM
Aces - cheers dude, I was trying to search out that thread, but couldn't find it.

Danny
05-Jan-2009, 12:39 AM
i just watched this right after 28 weeks later as my latest blockbuster acquisitions and its a beautiful film but really a homage to 2001 by the end, i was expecting to see the irish bloke at age 90 in a bed with slash playing the solo from november rain off to the side. itsa great flick but something bugs me, if penbroker or whatever his name was survived, whats stopping the other guy? why commit suicide in the sun room when theres plants for food and air? id at least have given a week to try and see if i could jerry rig a way home yknow?

but thats just nit picking it was a great flick, though i cant help but feel it was meant to have some undertone in the same vein as the stand for some reason.

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2009, 09:39 AM
i just watched this right after 28 weeks later as my latest blockbuster acquisitions and its a beautiful film but really a homage to 2001 by the end, i was expecting to see the irish bloke at age 90 in a bed with slash playing the solo from november rain off to the side. itsa great flick but something bugs me, if penbroker or whatever his name was survived, whats stopping the other guy? why commit suicide in the sun room when theres plants for food and air? id at least have given a week to try and see if i could jerry rig a way home yknow?

but thats just nit picking it was a great flick, though i cant help but feel it was meant to have some undertone in the same vein as the stand for some reason.
Erm ... all the plants were toasted, there wasn't enough air already, and certainly not going to be any from all the plants being burned up. Plus, everything went to hell in a hand basket and he had to manually sever the payload in order to get it into position to kick start the sun ... also, he was trapped in the airlock, and had to blast open the outer door to open the inner door (which he burnt a small hole through with a welding torch), so there was actually no air whatsoever in the ship.

AcesandEights
05-Jan-2009, 06:25 PM
I agree with, MZ. The guy was also a bit of a fatalist, which--at that point--can be totally expected. I mean, the Earth is freezing into an ice block, everyone you love is facing a cold death, your species is staring extinction in the face, you've been shot-off on a probable one-way mission of the diciest order and now you're basically marooned on a fizzled hulk facing a slow death.

Go out in style, some might say. And what better way than turning the burner up to 11?

bassman
05-Jan-2009, 06:28 PM
Go out in style, some might say. And what better way than turning the burner up to 11?

Why don't you just make ten hotter and make ten be the top number?
:p

AcesandEights
05-Jan-2009, 06:35 PM
Why don't you just make ten hotter and make ten be the top number?
:p

...But...it's the sun...it goes up to 11...:p

Danny
05-Jan-2009, 11:43 PM
Erm ... all the plants were toasted, there wasn't enough air already, and certainly not going to be any from all the plants being burned up. Plus, everything went to hell in a hand basket and he had to manually sever the payload in order to get it into position to kick start the sun ... also, he was trapped in the airlock, and had to blast open the outer door to open the inner door (which he burnt a small hole through with a welding torch), so there was actually no air whatsoever in the ship.

no, the dude who stayed in icarus one with a full lush garden.

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2009, 09:32 AM
no, the dude who stayed in icarus one with a full lush garden.
The dude that went psycho you mean?

Why would he be bothered flying back to earth?