PDA

View Full Version : Giant black hole confirmed in Milky Way

capncnut
10-Dec-2008, 08:19 PM
According to German astronomers, there is a supermassive black hole, four million times heavier than our Sun, sitting slap bang in the center of the Milky Way.

Click (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7774287.stm) for article.

3pidemiC
10-Dec-2008, 08:22 PM
No worries.

AcesandEights
10-Dec-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, all the e-curmudgeons have been saying the world was going down the drain for ages and now we find it's the whole galaxy :p

Awww, laaaaame...someone nicknamed it 'The Black Pearl' :rolleyes:

capncnut
10-Dec-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow, all the e-curmudgeons have been saying the world was going down the drain for ages and now we find it's the whole galaxy :p
:lol::lol::lol:

AcesandEights
10-Dec-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm serious. That's the last thing I need to face if were there an afterlife.

St. Peter: So, how'd you die?

Dead Me: Swallowed by a massive quantum singularity named after, either, a part of some Disney pastiche or an anal vibrator. :|

axlish
10-Dec-2008, 09:24 PM
Fascinating. Does the black hole exist because of the galaxy or does the galaxy exist because of the black hole. It makes practical sense that at the center of a galaxy there would be some sort of gravitational center, swirling about like water going down a drain.

Cody
10-Dec-2008, 11:46 PM
Space is so fascinating

oh and lol @ Acesand

blind2d
11-Dec-2008, 01:54 AM
Indeed, this reminds me of the last few episodes of gurren lagann (please watch, is best gainax anime ever!)

MinionZombie
11-Dec-2008, 09:52 AM
Don't worry, Crash Gordon will save the world, he said so yesterday. :lol:

5stftd5qv3M

:lol:

What a f*cking bell end.

Dommm
12-Dec-2008, 06:41 PM
I remember watching a program about this, it was on one of the discovery channels I forget which.

It said that these super blackholes are dead centre in each galaxy and that they are close enough to the centre rim of a galaxy to hold everything in controlling gravitational pull, but far enough away to not start sucking the galaxy in, dont know if anyone else saw the program, my memories a bit fuzzy around it.

capncnut
12-Dec-2008, 06:48 PM
Don't worry, Crash Gordon will save the world, he said so yesterday. :lol:
A Queen song comes to mind...

"Crash! Ahhh!
Liar of the universe."

<guitar solo>

"Crash! Ahhh!
He f**ked everyone of us."

<guitar solo>

"Crash! Ahhh!
He spouts the impossible."

Edit: Not meaning to derail the thread but I got a better song, modified from 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers.

"Gordon Brown talks out his bum
Loads of s**t, look how it runs
A complete muppet
Tony Blair's puppet
Always a frown with Gordon Brown"

:D

I remember watching a program about this, it was on one of the discovery channels I forget which.
Cool, I'll look out for that one!

MinionZombie
12-Dec-2008, 07:18 PM
Bravo Capn, bra-vo! :D:lol::D That gaffe can even be downloaded as a ringtone now, ha! And Esther Rantzen (the "floating voter", yeah right) should get her arse onto YouTube before she says it didn't happen the way it did, bloody dafty.

Anyway, the universe man ... it creeps me out ... ... well actually it just baffles the sh*t out of me, mankind is just absolutely incapable of understanding it, I mean ... actually I'd better not start talking about it, I did this at uni and it just freaked me out too much. :D